Thomas no-show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Thomas no-show

Well said Macfact.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Wow, this response drew a lot of people who normally don't post here.

The Tank stops pucks and won a Cup, that's all I care about.

By the way, Karl Hungus hit close to home when he wrote "you guys are sounding like penn state fans." You're right Karl, both sides are sounding like over-the-top Penn Staters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    [QUOTE]Having voted in more elections [ 14] than most of you, I applaud Tim Thomas's decision to forego another Obama political picture show. All Americans have the right to assemble and to protest. Tim is expressing his right and I agree with him .
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

seems to me the country has been pretty good to Tim Thomas, it is a free country but this is in poor taste

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I hope he fully realizes that he has just created a HUGE distraction for himself and the team. This was not a political event, so why did a 5 million dollar a year jock make it one? This will fester for a long time, and it will get very ugly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]Turns out it was very much a political statement on Thomas' part and the "T" in Thomas stands for "Tea Party": http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bruins-mvp-tim-thomas-skips-white-house-event-203636656.html So: might as well get this out the way now: Just as Cam Neely said, I respect Thomas' decision not to go. It's his choice, and if he feels trongly enough about politics that smiling w/Obama would be akin to eating his own vomit, fine...his choice. and since he's allowed to express HIS political opinions, I'll express MINE and say that Thomas is a great goalie but an absolute moron when it comes to politics, and that the very essence of TEAM SPORTS is sticking together and UNITING under a common cause, while all his Tea Bagger compatriots have done is express DIVISION and INTOLERANCE and views of ignorant extremism. (I.e. kick all the immgrants out and allow no exceptions...which is hypocritical in the extreme in Thomas' case since he would not have ever had teh chance to make it back to the NHL had he not been granted the opportunity to keep his career going in a foreign country (Finland) when no one else in the US would give him the time of day. Bottom line for THIS Bruins fan: I hope Thomas stops every puck that comes his way, but Tuukka is now my favorite goalie on the team, despite save percentage, and I wonder whether Thomas has had the chance to sit down with ANDREW FERENCE...who supports liberal causes proudly, and whether Thomas looks down on him for it. I certainly have lost all respect for Thomas as an individual at this point, and now I'm rooting for him solely b/c of the jesey he wears, and nothing more. His views have been made loud and clear, now mine have as well. Here's hoping Tuukka plays beyond Thomas and takes the #1 job so I don't have to root for a guy who roots for a political movement that was willing to run the country off an economic cliff (debt ceiling idiocy) rather than compromise with those they are supposed to be sharing the country with.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

i agree with you completely, as i said to someone else here, this country has been good to him, show a little respect

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BUT WHY ON FACEBOK ??? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : How about respect for your teammates, who have to be embarrassed (not to mention harrassed by the media to find out why)? Isn't Thomas Candian? If it's coming from a disrespect for a foreign sovereign that's even worse. Typical "us vs. them" and "I won't even be civil to them" attitude that has destroyed all political decorum in this country. Just lost a ton of respect for him.
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

Thomas is American, from Michigan played for Team USA 2 years ago at the olympics, thats what makes this worse he makes 4 million a year whats he got to complain about

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Two reasons I don't like it:

As an American, I believe that you respect the highest office, no matter who is serving.  This is a ceremony where the team is honored by the country, by visiting the highest office.  Saying "no" shows a lack of respect for your country and the whole government, IMO.  From a guy who's lived the American dream and is obscenely wealthy while others follow the President's orders and defend the country.  That may not be a popular opinion, but it's what I think and I would think it with Bush or any other President there.  It's just bad form

As a Bruins fan, this is just bad for the team, plain and simple.  This will be a huge media story, distraction, and issue for everyone on the team to deal with.  Players can be political all they want in the off-season (see Ference).  When it is mid-season and they are attending a team event, it should be team first.  Thomas put himself above the team, and it will hurt them, I think.

Still like the guy, just very disappointed by his decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]God bless you Timmy! you are my favorite Bruin ever! millions of Americans are suffering from the policies of this tyrant in the whitehouse so i cant blame you for not going.
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]

what a dumb post, yeah Timmy is suffering from the policies of this tyrant to the tune of 4 mil per year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]Two reasons I don't like it: As an American, I believe that you respect the highest office, no matter who is serving.  This is a ceremony where the team is honored by the country, by visiting the highest office.  Saying "no" shows a lack of respect for your country and the whole government, IMO.  From a guy who's lived the American dream and is obscenely wealthy while others follow the President's orders and defend the country.  That may not be a popular opinion, but it's what I think and I would think it with Bush or any other President there.  It's just bad form As a Bruins fan, this is just bad for the team, plain and simple.  This will be a huge media story, distraction, and issue for everyone on the team to deal with.  Players can be political all they want in the off-season (see Ference).  When it is mid-season and they are attending a team event, it should be team first .  Thomas put himself above the team, and it will hurt them, I think. Still like the guy, just very disappointed by his decision.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Agree on the first point Fletch. But how is this going to impact the team on-ice? The Bruins thrived during a Cup finals that was as acerbic and nasty as anything I've ever seen. A distraction yes but this will be forgotten in about twenty minutes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]And now playing Right Wing... Tim Thomas!
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

LOL good one

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Agree on the first point Fletch. But how is this going to impact the team on-ice? The Bruins thrived during a Cup finals that was as acerbic and nasty as anything I've ever seen. A distraction yes but this will be forgotten in about twenty minutes.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

The distraction aspect, due to political reporters, was my concern as well. But after reading the bipartisan tri-branchal nature of his statement, there's very little blood there for repoerters to latch onto. Can't see it being much of a distraction for long.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]He is from Michigan, from what I understand he has numerous friends who have lost their jobs and houses and made a stand for them...I could be wrong, heard this info 3rd hand, but it kind of makes sense no? If that is the case, good for him..
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Since President Obama has done everything he could to help rescue the auto industry IN MICHIGAN , it doesnt make sense

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Agree on the first point Fletch. But how is this going to impact the team on-ice? The Bruins thrived during a Cup finals that was as acerbic and nasty as anything I've ever seen. A distraction yes but this will be forgotten in about twenty minutes.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  I hope you're right!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Didn't Theo Epstein skip meeting Bush ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This is no bigger a distraction than Seguin missing team breakfasts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Maybe TT secretly wants to be a Canadian like the rest of the team. LOL. Just joking ladies. Lighten up folks. The event itself is a political joke. TT could have the same political views as Boss FFing Hogg for all I care. He back stopped the B's to a Cup and gave us the best goaltending performance in the history of hockey. He should run for President when it's all said and done.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]This is no bigger a distraction than Seguin missing team breakfasts.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully that will be the case.  In this blog driven media environment, I wouldn't be surprised if reporters keep trying to drag it up, though.  Players on other teams might use this as fodder for taunts too, though I doubt that will amount to anything.  I guess we will see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : I have as much right as anyone to have a opinion. Do you really think I care what you think? I know who I am. I would not stoop to calling you sir. So I guess we are even. The fact is this was classless, and put himself above his team. This is not the Thomas family way.  Maybe in your family, you just shut your mouth despite your beliefs of right or wrong? I believe what he did was unpatriotic and wrong!!
    Posted by notacryingwino[/QUOTE]

Right! And Timmy stood by his beliefs so that makes you better? I think that how immigrants have gotten rules changed for their religious beliefs is unpatriotic & not what my great grandfathers & grand fathers fought for too, but I don't condem them for it! Why is your decision any better than his? just because you play "follow the leader" doesn't mean Timmy has too! Your attitude is a joke & a travestry to what a "an honest human being is!" So, far the only person who in your family that isn't living by a double standard is Timmy & those that agree with his decision!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Nite, is free speech really about TT's unwillingness to attend a team event or is it about our right to voice an opinion about it?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

If there was a team event that went thru an African American neighborhood & put up crosses in their yards? Would the ones who didn't go not be a good teammate?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:[QUOTE] This is no bigger a distraction than Seguin missing team breakfasts. Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

It was a distraction to me the Bruins lost the game...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Some folks feel that those who've been incredibly blessed,(making millions doing something the rest of us pay for) have an even greater reponsibility to speak up.

Although I think TT bought himself a little more notoriety than he bargained for, I can't disrespect his decision.  In fact, I kinda admire anyone having the courage to put themself in a no-win situation, when the easy, comfortable thing would be to just shut up, and enjoy the champagne.

Read an article just the other day.  The average American works until April 9th to pay state, federal, and local taxes.  In 1930, that same American worked less than 1 minute on Jan 2 to ante up.

Unless completely blinded by political affiliation, most logical people are aware of the fact that government is way, way to big, and feeding that gas guzzling motor is taking a disproportinate amount of public funds. I see nothing disrespectful in TT's statement. Unfortunately, I don't see anything I disagree with much either.

We're in the same situation here in Canada.

As for the "hockey" ramifications....there are none.   These guys are used to co existing with many different personalities.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I'm also a Canadian, and this is an annual event, and it's called "a visit to THE WHITE HOUSE" -- not a visit to President Obama.  So, it's a ceremonial event, intended to honour both the winning team, and the OFFICE of the President.  So, it's not intended, in any way, shape or form, to be a political event.  Much like, in Canada, honourees would be invited to Parliament (not 24 Sussex Drive), in audience with all MPs, not just the PM. In my opinion, Thomas has mixed his political views in with the issue of respect for the Office of the President, and in doing so, has, to some extent, denigrated the image of the Bruins organization.  While there are those who would say that he is free to do so (and he is), sometimes we all do things "for the better good of the organization", and choose to make our personal views known in other ways.  For example, TT could have attended the event, then posted his objection to the current administration's policies on his FB page.  That would have allowed him to express his views, but would have also shown him to be 'the bigger man' by swallowing his pride and doing something for the good of the team (and, probably make him look good for doing so).
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Or he just has the grapes to stand up for himself!! Which you would KNOW NOTHING about!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : If there was a team event that went thru an African American neighborhood & put up crosses in their yards? Would the ones who didn't go not be a good teammate?
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Not sure about the analogy Nite. Let's leave it at that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It was an incredibly political move on TT's part. He made his statement on Facebook and his real statement by not showing up to the Event. It was planned, it was on purpose, and he will have to deal with the consequences. We live in a free country, but it doesn't allow you to simply spit on the White House lawn and show up the leader of the free world. I love Thomas the player, I respect him wanting to make the statement he made, but I think in the poll of public opinion he basically became an activist, anti-American. Sad.