Thornton & Marleau get extensions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thornton & Marleau get extensions

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10344936/patrick-marleau-joe-thornton-san-jose-sharks-sign-contract-extensions

Not bad, would have been interesting if both hit the free-agency market as I envisioned Toronto going hard after one of them. They need to step it up in the playoffs though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Thornton & Marleau get extensions

No surprise here ... These guys are entrenched in the community and obviously settled with families... Took the hometown discount to stay... They play on a good team, live in San Jose what's there not to like .....Wilson doing a good job of keeping his core group together...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

No snow,no pressure,no problems...........no brainer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha, that is good. And true.

Paint me as jealous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10344936/patrick-marleau-joe-thornton-san-jose-sharks-sign-contract-extensions

Not bad, would have been interesting if both hit the free-agency market as I envisioned Toronto going hard after one of them. They need to step it up in the playoffs though.

[/QUOTE]

Joe is very much settled in the Cali lifestyle.  SanJose reminds me of the wings back in the day when stevie y couldnt get over the hump.  If healthy come playoff time they are gonna be fun to watch.  Size, speed, skill.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I guess Doug Wilson just signalled that he's happy with regular season fireworks and playoff failures....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Damn, I was hoping this was about Shawn Thornton getting an extension...spice this place up a little bit...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In all the time they've been together, and the Sharks have been a strong RS team all of those years, they've lost in the first round twice, the second round four times and the third round twice.  Thornton has 79 points in 90 playoff games with the Sharks.  Marleau has 65 points in that same stretch.  The closest they've come was losing to Vancouver in 2011 when the new generation of Sharks was a huge part of the charge - Couture, Clowe, Pavelski's arrival, Setoguchi.  They had Heatley (surprise - he did squat), and Niemi in net.  Dan Boyle.

They haven't come that close since.  I wonder how much of a no brainer this was for Wilson?  Or if he took a serious look at Couture and Pavelski and thought maybe it's time to re-shape the team around those guys, get younger, and look for another critical mass of talent in a year or two?

Biggest problem is that they have as good a shote as any of those big 5 teams to come out of that Western dog-fight.  Maybe not the favorite, but well within the realm of possibility.  That means they'd have almost no choice but to ride the season out with these two and lose them for nothing or look for a trade that would help now and in the future (Toronto?).  Tough call.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I haven't seen anything about any no trade or no movement clauses in these deals.

If that's the case, I hope Chiarelli is paying attention.  He probably offered a no trade to Miller.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In all the time they've been together, and the Sharks have been a strong RS team all of those years, they've lost in the first round twice, the second round four times and the third round twice.  Thornton has 79 points in 90 playoff games with the Sharks.  Marleau has 65 points in that same stretch.  The closest they've come was losing to Vancouver in 2011 when the new generation of Sharks was a huge part of the charge - Couture, Clowe, Pavelski's arrival, Setoguchi.  They had Heatley (surprise - he did squat), and Niemi in net.  Dan Boyle.

They haven't come that close since.  I wonder how much of a no brainer this was for Wilson?  Or if he took a serious look at Couture and Pavelski and thought maybe it's time to re-shape the team around those guys, get younger, and look for another critical mass of talent in a year or two?

Biggest problem is that they have as good a shote as any of those big 5 teams to come out of that Western dog-fight.  Maybe not the favorite, but well within the realm of possibility.  That means they'd have almost no choice but to ride the season out with these two and lose them for nothing or look for a trade that would help now and in the future (Toronto?).  Tough call.

Thats the thing with the Sharks, it seems its always "within the realm of possibility" but ultimately they fail. It's been frustrating for me as i have taken them in about 6 of my last 10 playoff pools to come out of the West only to have been let down. I learned my lesson and now have been let down by other Western teams,hello St. Louis, so i can only imagine how frustrating it has been for Wilson. He has tried every imaginable combination of vets such as Blake,Lemieux,Roenick,Heatley,Torres etc, and the outcome has been the same. The only constant has been Jumbo Joe & Phantom Pat and we've seen the results, Wilson must be happy with them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't seen anything about any no trade or no movement clauses in these deals.

If that's the case, I hope Chiarelli is paying attention.  He probably offered a no trade to Miller.

[/QUOTE]

There is a NMC in both deals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No Cups! To be continued....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE]

No snow,no pressure,no problems...........no brainer. [/QUOTE]

They set great expectations for themselves. Nice retirement gift from Wilson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

two 34 year old point per game players that are pretty good all around players. these are GREAT contracts. normally the player wants to ensure that he's being paid until he's 40. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

two 34 year old point per game players that are pretty good all around players. these are GREAT contracts. normally the player wants to ensure that he's being paid until he's 40. 

[/QUOTE]

I think these are good deals as well. 3 year window to win.  With couture and others the sharks look good.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think these are good deals as well. 3 year window to win.  With couture and others the sharks look good.  

[/QUOTE]

Couture, Pavelski, etc..I think Niemi is the wildcard. If he performs like he can, they could go far. He's one of the better goalies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^This is what I think.  We know that those two have some flaws in their games, but cripes, two point-per-game guys in a three year window, while the younger talent develops...?  Sounds reasonable to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Soft.  Plain and simple.  Soft doesn't win enough playoff hockey to get a Cup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Semin makes more then them both.  :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One word.To the point.Sums it up quite well.When the going gets tough,well,Joe & Pat have had enough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One word.To the point.Sums it up quite well.When the going gets tough,well,Joe & Pat have had enough.

[/QUOTE]

so are a lot of players that have been part of championship teams. if he got 9 million, it would be a team built around a soft player, at this deal, it's just fine. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

so are a lot of players that have been part of championship teams. if he got 9 million, it would be a team built around a soft player, at this deal, it's just fine. 

[/QUOTE]

When was the last time a soft Captain and a soft #2 won the Cup?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time associating the word soft when I think of Joe Thornton. I know exactly what you mean, but for me, I don't know. Hard to explain. I remember him going after Tinordi his rookie year, coming out of the box and manhandling Kelly Buchberger, going after Lyle Odelein, epic fight with Ken Daneyko etc...But it's that 6 foot plus 200 something pound frame with his butt on the sideboards..To look at him he looks like he should run over people, be a bull in a china shop type player but he has those soft (theres that word) hands.

I'm not sure if you know what I mean, perhaps I'm biased, really enjoyed watching him when he was here, still watch/follow him to this day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time associating the word soft when I think of Joe Thornton. I know exactly what you mean, but for me, I don't know. Hard to explain. I remember him going after Tinordi his rookie year, coming out of the box and manhandling Kelly Buchberger, going after Lyle Odelein, epic fight with Ken Daneyko etc...But it's that 6 foot plus 200 something pound frame with his butt on the sideboards..To look at him he looks like he should run over people, be a bull in a china shop type player but he has those soft (theres that word) hands.

I'm not sure if you know what I mean, perhaps I'm biased, really enjoyed watching him when he was here, still watch/follow him to this day.

[/QUOTE]

Me either... Guy has always gotten a bad rap of not being able to take his team all the way...the guy is an outstanding point producer , has amazing hands for a big man... I still recall him dropping them with Getzlaff off the opening face off in a playoff game... That's not soft... That's a guy who cares....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Thornton is soft, though.  The thing with Getzlaff was out of context, as if the coach had said something like "Hey, you're a big guy, can you please do something here to help us out?"

He's easily stopped by smaller guys, loses board battles and turns the puck over with regularity, gets tossed around by other big guys -- see what Soderberg did to him in the last Bs game? -- and tell me, does he ever hit someone, like, hard?

His last few years here he and Bs management were complaining that opposing players  players were holding him, roughing, etc.

The thing is, he had (has?) the talent to be huge in the game, but he rarely showed it.  He's happy to stay in his comfort zone and ring up the assists.  If he was smaller it might not matter so much.  But the fact that he's a big strong guy with good hands, etc. means that he's a role model to others on the team, and he's just never shown much in terms of heart.

Hence, "soft."