Thornton Gone For 15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Thornton Gone For 15

Does a suspension mean he can't be in the locker room?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does a suspension mean he can't be in the locker room?

[/QUOTE]

I think they can still practice and be around the team.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

fletch, i have no issue with the length of this.  The only issue i have, well there are two

a.  ST is a first time offender.  Large suspension for a virgin.  

b.  Neals play was disgustingly greasy.  I think it was worse.  

Please dont do the league hates the Bruins though.  Its not your style.  You are the voice of reason.  

[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, that's the issue for me shupe.  Not so much the length, but the comparison to the precedent.  We both played a lot of hockey, you at a higher level than me.  But I bet you'd agree that you'd prefer a gloved punch to an more forceful elbow or knee to the head any day.

What Thornton did is no more dangerous than what Neal did.  Less in many ways.  He paid the "stretcher" penalty.

If 15 games is the precedent, than fine.  

But it isn't.  Thornton's punishment is disproportionate to what we have seen.

I don't think the league hates the Bruins.  I don't believe in conspiracy theories.  I do think the 'Bruins problem' is a real thing, on some level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

fletch, i have no issue with the length of this.  The only issue i have, well there are two

a.  ST is a first time offender.  Large suspension for a virgin.  

b.  Neals play was disgustingly greasy.  I think it was worse.  

Please dont do the league hates the Bruins though.  Its not your style.  You are the voice of reason.  

Well yeah, that's the issue for me shupe.  Not so much the length, but the comparison to the precedent.  We both played a lot of hockey, you at a higher level than me.  But I bet you'd agree that you'd prefer a gloved punch to an more forceful elbow or knee to the head any day.

What Thornton did is no more dangerous than what Neal did.  Less in many ways.  He paid the "stretcher" penalty.

If 15 games is the precedent, than fine.  

But it isn't.  Thornton's punishment is disproportionate to what we have seen.

I don't think the league hates the Bruins.  I don't believe in conspiracy theories.  I do think the 'Bruins problem' is a real thing, on some level.

[/QUOTE]

Punch me in the nose anyday over a greasy play like Neal.  we both have agreed on that.  If ST dropped his gloves and forced him to react or turtle he would have been fine.  I dont agree with what ST did.  But Neals play is very greasy and dangerous.  I wish ST would have gone after Neal.  I do feel bad for ST.  I think he is an honest player who snapped.  He has zero priors and the 15 games is a lot.   

Thank god world juniors are starting soon so we can talk hockey instead of every hit and greasy play.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There really isn't a precedent, right?

Now there is.

If you slew foot an opponent and punch him til lights out, expect to sit for a long time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

Thank god world juniors are starting soon so we can talk hockey instead of every hit and greasy play.  

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on the WJC.  Unlike 999 out of 1000 Americans, I love that tournament and follow it closely.  I'm all over it, despite knowing next to nothing about the players (save for Will Butcher from U. of Denver).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There really isn't a precedent, right?

Now there is.

If you slew foot an opponent and punch him til lights out, expect to sit for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

Forget that.  Let's look at what is dangerous, if we're really concerned about the problem.  What hurts people?  What ends careers?  A gloved punch falls far behind many, many cheap shots I have seen this year.

Not trying to let Thornton off the hook, but 5-8 games would certainly cover the danger he displayed, compared to precedent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Forget that.  Let's look at what is dangerous, if we're really concerned about the problem.  What hurts people?  What ends careers?  A gloved punch falls far behind many, many cheap shots I have seen this year.

Not trying to let Thornton off the hook, but 5-8 games would certainly cover the danger he displayed, compared to precedent.

[/QUOTE]

I can understand that view.  I do disagree, however.  You're looking at the gloves on the fist.  I'm looking at dumping an opponent and knocking him out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can understand that view.  I do disagree, however.  You're looking at the gloves on the fist.  I'm looking at dumping an opponent and knocking him out.

[/QUOTE]

Nah you're looking at the player who did it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not.  I don't hate Thornton as a person and I don't want to see any Bruin suspended ever.  I'm looking at the action and the end result without thinking of the jersey.  If Lucic did the same thing, I'd say the same thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not.  I don't hate Thornton as a person and I don't want to see any Bruin suspended ever.  I'm looking at the action and the end result without thinking of the jersey.  If Lucic did the same thing, I'd say the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

Doubtful.  If it were Lucic, you would be saying that there is no way to prove that his intent was to injure and that Orpik's chin was made of fine china.  And no way does Shanny suspend Lucic for 15 games, even if Orpik went on life support for a bit.  Shanny had his chance to make an example of someone to finally make himself look like he's tough on crime, and Thornton was the perfect player for him to do that.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Doubtful.  If it were Lucic, you would be saying that there is no way to prove that his intent was to injure and that Orpik's chin was made of fine china. 

[/QUOTE]

What?  You're now telling me what I think or would say?

F off, hang.  I'm telling you my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

You're wearing your Speedo too tight down there NAS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Jordin Tootoo incident comes to mind where I have seen a player punch a somewhat unsuspecting opponent hard, with a gloved hand.

Jordan Tootoo (5 games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDUiHmQMrA

Now I understand that what Thronton did is worse, because he's got an unwilling combatant, on the ground, but in terms of force, Tootoo's punch was much more dangerous.  I think Thornton lost it.  I think he deserves a pretty harsh punishment, but this ruling is double and triple the punishment of hits that were more dangerous in my opinion.  

If Thornton is at a new era of punishment for dangerous hits, than James Neal should have seen the same thing.  GIve em' all 15 games for ugly, intent-to-injure hits.  The only plausible difference from Neal's hit is that Marchand got back up.  Judging hits based primarily on how badly the victim appears to be injured is a slippery slope and is a criteria that just further muddies the water for the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Will you stop complaining this is the best thing that could happen to the Bruins ....injuries to Kelly, Erickson and suspension to ST ....will enable the management to discover how good Spooner, Fraser and Sweethands are ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

The Jordin Tootoo incident comes to mind where I have seen a player punch a somewhat unsuspecting opponent hard, with a gloved hand.

Jordan Tootoo (5 games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDUiHmQMrA

Now I understand that what Thronton did is worse, because he's got an unwilling combatant, on the ground, but in terms of force, Tootoo's punch was much more dangerous.  I think Thornton lost it.  I think he deserves a pretty harsh punishment, but this ruling is double and triple the punishment of hits that were more dangerous in my opinion.  

If Thornton is at a new era of punishment for dangerous hits, than James Neal should have seen the same thing.  GIve em' all 15 games for ugly, intent-to-injure hits.  The only plausible difference from Neal's hit is that Marchand got back up.  Judging hits based primarily on how badly the victim appears to be injured is a slippery slope and is a criteria that just further muddies the water for the future.

[/QUOTE]

Judging incidents based on how hard a fan thinks a punch was thrown is pretty absurd also.  Not saying you are or have done that, but plenty here have.

This Tootoo play was many years ago.  Five or so? 

It's a brave new world in the NHL these days. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

Judging incidents based on how hard a fan thinks a punch was thrown is pretty absurd also.  Not saying you are or have done that, but plenty here have.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree it's a 'brave new world' from the time of the Tootoo hit.  But that's why the inconsistency of 15 games surprises me.  Have we seen anything half that long time year? (Exclude leaving the bench automatics...)

I don't think Thornton's actions were much worse or more dangerous than many others I have seen this year.  To me either Thornton's suspension is too much, or many others are too little.  Take your pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't think Thornton's actions were much worse or more dangerous than many others I have seen this year.  To me either Thornton's suspension is too much, or many others are too little.  Take your pick.

[/QUOTE]

How many others left a guy knocked out and leaving on a stretcher?  It's not rhetorical.  I can't think of any.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree it's a 'brave new world' from the time of the Tootoo hit.  But that's why the inconsistency of 15 games surprises me.  Have we seen anything half that long time year? (Exclude leaving the bench automatics...)

[/QUOTE]

Agree Fletch. To me most times Neals action produces worse results than Thorntons and that should be more of factor. But the optics of Thorntons doings were bad so they throw the book at him. Id rather take 2 jabs to the melon than a knee any day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

FRom many years of watching, back to when Ted green was cracked across his head, the league made the right call because it was not the result of a current play; it was definitely retaliation; It was not a scrum that Thorny was onvolved with; even Thorny admitted he lost it. Individual attacks need to be squashed, including Neal's knee to Marchand's head. this does set a precedent, and, as so many have voiced, mostly players, that "players need to be more responsible". Orpik's initial hit on Eriksson , to me, was borderline, and as much the fault of the "kevlar" shoulder pads, as any intentional head focus. So,let's look at the equipment impact as well as player intent. Just look at how the required face masks in college have contributed to many more wayward sticks up high. Unfortunately, increased body protection, has resulted in some players belief that they themselves will not be injured, no matter how reckless they play. Not an easy resolution, but necessary in establishing a base for measuring futures

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Will you stop complaining this is the best thing that could happen to the Bruins ....injuries to Kelly, Erickson and suspension to ST ....will enable the management to discover how good Spooner, Fraser and Sweethands are ....

[/QUOTE]

Your ignorance and hockey knowledge really shine through with that statement ......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

He's a guy that plays on the edge, has crossed the line before in his almost crippling of another player, been suspended for bad hits & RARELY backs up his actions! He's a coward! 

[/QUOTE]

Kronwall is a similar player.  He doesnt fight.  You can hit without being expected to fight.  

[/QUOTE]

Kronwall hits clean. If you read my previous post you would see that I don't think every hit you need to fight. Orpik is a Scud missile! 

[/QUOTE]

Orpik nor Kronwall has been suspended.  How does one hit more dirty then the next.  Kronwall has tattoed people, was penalized and likely could have been suspended.   I dont recall anyone knocking him out after any of his hits.  

[/QUOTE]

You need to do your homework bud!! Why don't you ask Eric Cole? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

This from Harris, across the street;

"...But Orpik, despite being one of the top hitters in the league — frequently going right to or across the clean/dirty line — has rarely been willing to square off in a fight.

Orpik’s last regular-season fight was Nov. 22, 2008, when the 6-foot-3, 217-pounder took on Vancouver’s 6-1, 190-pound Alex Burrows. The fight was voted a draw at Hockeyfights.com.

Suffice to say, Orpik likely wouldn’t have done that well against the 6-2, 217-pound Thornton. But it would have been better for everyone if he had the courage and honor to try."

I guess the question isn't; 'Why did Shawn Thornton do this?"

More like, given Orpik's penchant for hunting top line guys with his 'hit to hurt' mentality,

"Why didn't someone do it sooner?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shortpops. Show shortpops's posts

Basically this is just the same old story. The refs let this  game get out of hand by not clamping down hard when  the first injury happened. Pittsburgh has its Crosbys,Malkins,Neals,Kunitz etc who are upper end players and have greater publicity value than  the players of most other teams so just let them do their thing and its hope for the best by the league's braintrust.  Now they have this suit for concussions to deal with so its sinking in that  their chickens(all those botched calls in years past) are coming home to roost in spades. Thus thorty gats slammed with an absurdly long suspension as the league   tries to play catchup with its prior failings. It just may be that a new more proactive player safety approach is needed along with a fresh overall management team for the league from the top down.Has anyone got any better answer fror this ongoing scenario?