Thornton Gone For 15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djstrome. Show djstrome's posts

Re: Thornton Gone For 15

[/QUOTE]

You're looking at the gloves on the fist.  I'm looking at dumping an opponent and knocking him out.

[/QUOTE]

The issue to a lot of people is that Orpik was really knocked out by a feather. Those weren't punches, they were friendly little slaps. That was the friendliest slew foot I've ever seen, ST even looked like he was holding him up so he wouldn't hit is head on the ice. That event happens 1000 times a season. ST did nothing wrong. I'd call it a 2 minute roughing at most.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I think ST should appeal... 15 is a lot for a first timer generally regarded as a stand-up guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think ST should appeal... 15 is a lot for a first timer generally regarded as a stand-up guy.

[/QUOTE]

People think he's a stand up guy, therefore the infraction wasn't as bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People think he's a stand up guy, therefore the infraction wasn't as bad.

[/QUOTE]

If 15 is the new standard, I'm fine with that... but I don't think it will be and I don't want to read 1000 posts that begin with, "If ST did the same, he'd get..."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

If 15 is the new standard, I'm fine with that... but I don't think it will be and I don't want to read 1000 posts that begin with, "If ST did the same, he'd get..."

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if we'll see another guy slew foot an opponent and punch him unconsious any time soon.  Or ever again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Jordin Tootoo incident comes to mind where I have seen a player punch a somewhat unsuspecting opponent hard, with a gloved hand.

Jordan Tootoo (5 games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDUiHmQMrA

Now I understand that what Thronton did is worse, because he's got an unwilling combatant, on the ground, but in terms of force, Tootoo's punch was much more dangerous.  I think Thornton lost it.  I think he deserves a pretty harsh punishment, but this ruling is double and triple the punishment of hits that were more dangerous in my opinion.  

If Thornton is at a new era of punishment for dangerous hits, than James Neal should have seen the same thing.  GIve em' all 15 games for ugly, intent-to-injure hits.  The only plausible difference from Neal's hit is that Marchand got back up.  Judging hits based primarily on how badly the victim appears to be injured is a slippery slope and is a criteria that just further muddies the water for the future.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread Fletch.

This one belongs in the Hughson sucks thread since it kind of got into announcers.

Daley tries to get Tootoo and the announcer says "If that doesnt constitute 3rd man in then I don't know what does."---That is classic!

Then they blame Robidas for walking into the punch...It's comical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Crowls puts up a great article about the actual players think about this sort of thing, and people ignore it.

The slew foot is highly exaggerated.  Although just another tripping infraction, players get really out of sorts with slewfooting.  When you "purposely catch someone on the way down"...it really diminishes the slewfoot.

99 times out of 100, the same thing will continue to happen when someone gets crushed. 999 times out of 1000, nothing whatsoever will happen to either party in the ensuing scrum.  Players grap other players from behind and give them a shot all the time.  Almost every time, the person delivering whatever started the fracus, will be handled as violently...or more violently than Thornton did Orpik.  Every guy playing the game knows that.

We've had a lot of suspensions in the last year or so.  A frigggin pile of them.  When considering all of them(and those missed), I don't see how any logical, insightful hockey person could consider this pretty much the worst.

That's why I think the suspension is about 2 1/2 times longer than warranted, which drives home the point that the NHL is pandering to public opinion, not the good of the game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

I'm just not entirely buying this whole vilification of Thornton thing. His reaction was personal. To many - and I'm not blaming the victim - Orpik is one of the true goons of this game. Orpik is the antithesis of Thornton and THAT is what probably eats at Thornton. Unlike Orpik, Thornton does not target and injure defenseless or smaller opponents with predatory, borderline hits designed solely and entirely to hurt.

And how is Orpik being kept 'honest' if he won't fight? If a guy refuses to adhere to the game's prehistoric 'judicial system' policy and if the League continually chooses to view and define that guy's clearly violent and predatory actions as merely 'hockey plays', then what recourse is there? What consolation is there for Loui Eriksson? A kindly, 'keep your head up kid'?

Thornton pulled Orpik down and Orpik was freakishly injured. If there was no injury, there'd be no suspension, such is the NHL's total lack of clarity, their total rudderlessness on these issues.

Through a larger lens, looking at the average course of any average game, you will see loads of dangerous plays with no regard for player safety. These guys crosscheck and slash and punch and poke each every all game long, game in and game out.

What's dangerous? What's violent? What's punishment?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Those were rhetorical questions....

What's dangerous? What's violent? What's punishment?

The answer? An injury.

In this game there is no crime prevention only crime. And there is no crime without a victim

Perhaps, it's time to make the Lady Byng the most coveted of all trophies?

How about....A MILLION DOLLARS goes to its recipient!? Or recipents? Award 10 Lady Byng trophies!!

I'm actually f**kin serious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

"What's dangerous? What's violent? What's punishment?

The answer? An injury."

The answer? YES, and then the lawsuit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Crowls puts up a great article about the actual players think about this sort of thing, and people ignore it.

The slew foot is highly exaggerated.  Although just another tripping infraction, players get really out of sorts with slewfooting.  When you "purposely catch someone on the way down"...it really diminishes the slewfoot.

99 times out of 100, the same thing will continue to happen when someone gets crushed. 999 times out of 1000, nothing whatsoever will happen to either party in the ensuing scrum.  Players grap other players from behind and give them a shot all the time.  Almost every time, the person delivering whatever started the fracus, will be handled as violently...or more violently than Thornton did Orpik.  Every guy playing the game knows that.

We've had a lot of suspensions in the last year or so.  A frigggin pile of them.  When considering all of them(and those missed), I don't see how any logical, insightful hockey person could consider this pretty much the worst.

That's why I think the suspension is about 2 1/2 times longer than warranted, which drives home the point that the NHL is pandering to public opinion, not the good of the game. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reading the article, steve.  Not sure if people were scared off because it was from hockeyfights.com, but some good insights from Tocchet, Neely, Ference and others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Jordin Tootoo incident comes to mind where I have seen a player punch a somewhat unsuspecting opponent hard, with a gloved hand.

Jordan Tootoo (5 games):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDUiHmQMrA

Now I understand that what Thronton did is worse, because he's got an unwilling combatant, on the ground, but in terms of force, Tootoo's punch was much more dangerous.  I think Thornton lost it.  I think he deserves a pretty harsh punishment, but this ruling is double and triple the punishment of hits that were more dangerous in my opinion.  

If Thornton is at a new era of punishment for dangerous hits, than James Neal should have seen the same thing.  GIve em' all 15 games for ugly, intent-to-injure hits.  The only plausible difference from Neal's hit is that Marchand got back up.  Judging hits based primarily on how badly the victim appears to be injured is a slippery slope and is a criteria that just further muddies the water for the future.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread Fletch.

This one belongs in the Hughson sucks thread since it kind of got into announcers.

Daley tries to get Tootoo and the announcer says "If that doesnt constitute 3rd man in then I don't know what does."---That is classic!

Then they blame Robidas for walking into the punch...It's comical.

[/QUOTE]

I know! -- It's insane.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is an absolute embarrassment by the NHL. John Scott can pre-meditate a hit with an extended elbow from across the ice and only get 7 games.

Matt Cooke? ZERO games as a previous violator. It's inexplicable.

Meanwhile, Thornton tries to uphold the code after a dirty hit by Brooks Orpik (who was not given an official suspension for that blindside interference hit leaving his feet), simply by trying to his job.

It ended up Thornton went overboard, but the source of this problem in the league isn't what Thornton did.

The source are the insitgators sneaking in cheapshots and only being suspended 5 or 7 games.  That's the real problem.

Shanahan is a freaking joke with the way he applies the penalties.  This was worthy of no more than 10 games considerning the circumstances around it. Orpik cheapshotted Eriksson and Neal also was involved in a dirty play.

Orpik lost his balance, flopped, and that enraged Thornton even more. So, really, it's not the act from Thornton, it's what happened to Orpik after not upholding the code and then flopping with bad results.

Whenever you have lawyers running things like Bettman does here and you're implementing a politically correct puppet like Shanahan, who was a fraud player anyway, into these awkward rulings and decisions, you little to no crediiblity.

[/QUOTE]

1. Orpik never left his feet.

2. Orpik lost his balance? Thornton slew footing him had nothing to do with him going down?

And you call us Bruin fanboys and Jacobs lovers?

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This is an absolute embarrassment by the NHL. John Scott can pre-meditate a hit with an extended elbow from across the ice and only get 7 games.

Meanwhile, Thornton tries to uphold the code after a dirty hit by Brooks Orpik (who was not given an official suspension for that blindside interference hit leaving his feet), simply by trying to his job.

It ended up Thornton went overboard, but the source of this problem in the league isn't what Thornton did.

The source are the insitgators sneaking in cheapshots and only being suspended 5 or 7 games.  That's the real problem.

Shanahan is a freaking joke with the way he applies the penalties.  This was worthy of no more than 10 games considerning the circumstances around it. Orpik cheapshotted Eriksson and Neal also was involved in a dirty play.

Orpik lost his balance, flopped, and that enraged Thornton even more. So, really, it's not the act from Thornton, it's what happened to Orpik after not upholding the code and then flopping with bad results.

Whenever you have lawyers running things like Bettman does here and you're implementing a politically correct puppet like Shanahan, who was a fraud player anyway, into these awkward rulings and decisions, you little to no crediiblity.

[/QUOTE]

2. Orpik lost his balance? Thornton slew footing him had nothing to do with him going down?

[/QUOTE]

You have to some kind of a teenager or new to this game. Orpik LEFT his feet plain and simple. He jumped into and through Eriksson's shoulder/head. Fact.  If you need to slow it down and watch it again, be my guest.

I suppose it wasn't interference, too, huh?

As for the slew footing crap, you PC new age goobers use this term far to much. Slew footing is when you're behind someone, in the act of skating, and use your skates to take them off their feet.

Thornton barely made contact with him, grabbing him from the side.  Neither player was skating at the time and Thornton did not approach the wuss from behind anyway. A flop by a sneaky player is not a"slew foot".

Thornton has never done that in his life.

End of story.  You new age PC fans with this Bruins guilt crap, supporting Bettman and Jacobs, are a joke.

Jacobs should be on that phone demanding Cooke be banned from the league and demanding a reduction in suspension with Thornton, but he's in too deep with Bettman.

[/QUOTE]

1. Again. Never left his feet. Show me where he left his feet. Provide a still shot of his skates off the ice. You can't and you won't because it did not happen. 100% Guarantee.

2. You do not have to be moving to slew floot someone. I be right behind someone,both of us standoing still and take his feet out with mine. Slew foot.

3. How in earth is seeing things for what they are supporting Jacobs? How does this help Jeremy Jacobs case?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Kelv, I think you are wrong about Orpik leaving his feet.

Rusty ended his statement about Orpik leaving his feet with the word 'Fact' thus leaving me to believe it is in fact, fact.

Anytime Rusty says anything and ends it with the word 'fact' we must, in fact, take it for what it is, which is obviously fact. Fact.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have to some kind of a teenager or new to this game. Orpik LEFT his feet plain and simple. He jumped into and through Eriksson's shoulder/head. Fact.  If you need to slow it down and watch it again, be my guest.

I suppose it wasn't interference, too, huh?

As for the slew footing crap, you PC new age goobers use this term far to much. Slew footing is when you're behind someone, in the act of skating, and use your skates to take them off their feet.

Thornton barely made contact with him, grabbing him from the side.  Neither player was skating at the time and Thornton did not approach the wuss from behind anyway. A flop by a sneaky player is not a"slew foot".

Thornton has never done that in his life.

End of story.  You new age PC fans with this Bruins guilt crap, supporting Bettman and Jacobs, are a joke.

Jacobs should be on that phone demanding Cooke be banned from the league and demanding a reduction in suspension with Thornton, but he's in too deep with Bettman.

[/QUOTE]

1. Again. Never left his feet. Show me where he left his feet. Provide a still shot of his skates off the ice. You can't and you won't because it did not happen. 100% Guarantee.

2. You do not have to be moving to slew floot someone. I be right behind someone,both of us standoing still and take his feet out with mine. Slew foot.

3. How in earth is seeing things for what they are supporting Jacobs? How does this help Jeremy Jacobs case?

[/QUOTE]

Kelv,  dont waste your time.  I know its like looking at a car accident but keep driving past.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Thanks for reading the article, steve.  Not sure if people were scared off because it was from hockeyfights.com, but some good insights from Tocchet, Neely, Ference and others.

[/QUOTE]

I know there's at least 3 more people on here that need to read this article! I have yet to hear ONE single hockey person say anything bad about ST! But, I find it amazing as hell to see a lot of hockey people having a lot to say about Orpik & how he plays,  but these 3 on this forum don't see him in a bad light & protect him constanstly, but this is the only place where there's 3 main ones protecting Orpik in one place. And it's ironically enough these 3 that hate ST & his role on the Bruins. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Out of all the slewfoots I've ever seen it certainly is the weakest Steve! And most of the public that have never played the game are the ones that scream bloody murder.