Thornton vs. Rupp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thornton vs. Rupp

Since he got his head handed to him by Mike Rupp on 3/5, Shawn Thornton has not been in a fight.

10 games, no fights.  At the end of this one, it'll be 11.  I don't buy into the enforcer tag these days, but for those who do:  If he isn't fighting, what's the point of him being on the team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Thornton vs. Rupp

ding ding.

I think they sit him come playoff time.  We have more than enough muscle for any team. Thorton provides no value.  I would rather have Paille. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Energy, character, doesn't complain if he doesn't get many minutes, and he's there if it get's out of hand.  I like him in the lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You got it, Shupe.  Paille is a high quality defensive forward.  At worst, he's no liability. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp:
    [QUOTE]Energy, character, doesn't complain if he doesn't get many minutes, and he's there if it get's out of hand.  I like him in the lineup.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

The last time things got out of control, Thornton beat up Roman Hamrlik.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Mike Rupp hasn't had a fight since 3/5 either.  You would think after his convincing win over Thornton, he would be trying to fight everyone, right? Maybe he hurt his hand on Thornton's face?

Thornton's stats over that span:
    10gp 1-2-3 +3

Rupp's stats over that span:
    9gp 0-0-0 -3

Pens would gladly take Thornton over Rupp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I didn't compare the two players, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

My point is that Rupp hasn't fought either since the 3/5 bout.  Thornton picks his spots, just like Rupp I presume.  I like Thornton being on the 4th line, but agree he is their worst forward.  He serves his purpose, playing an honest, hard-working game.

By the way, Krys Barch hasn't fought since his 2/3 bout with Thornton.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

There usually isn't that many fights in the playoffs as the stakes are too high.  Julien is loyal to his vets, perhaps even blindly so.  (Took him, what, a season and half to sit Ryder.) 

Thornton will suit up but if I had a choice between him and a defensively responsible, good skating checking forward like Paille in the intensity of the playoffs, Paille would get my vote.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No chance they would take Rupp over Thorton.  Thorton is a fighter. Rupp can skate, kill penalties and is more than capible of playing the game. 

I wouldnt want either but between the two its not really close.  Take fighting out and Rupp still has a chance to play in the league. Thorton...I dont think so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Paille wouldnt add much but has speed and can kill penalties.  meaning is has a role on the team.  Thorton other than fighting has no role.  Most teams won't play the meatheads come playoff time.  Name me the last team with a legit meathead suiting up every game the playoffs that has won the cup.
    Chicago- Eager can play.
    Pitt- Godard has his name on the stanley cup which should be criminal.
    Detroit- Never has a fighter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Paille wouldnt add much but has speed and can kill penalties.  meaning is has a role on the team.  Thorton other than fighting has no role.  Most teams won't play the meatheads come playoff time.  Name me the last team with a legit meathead suiting up every game the playoffs that has won the cup. Chicago- Eager can play. Pitt- Godard has his name on the stanley cup which should be criminal. Detroit- Never has a fighter.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

True enough.  One doesn't have to look any further than the Olympics for high-octane, physical hockey without fighting. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : True enough.  One doesn't have to look any further than the Olympics for high-octane, physical hockey without fighting. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Rich but we also see the odd dirty play that someone should be punched in the face for.If the penalty for fighting wasn't banishment from the tournament,I think we'd see some bloody lips.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]No chance they would take Rupp over Thorton.  Thorton is a fighter. Rupp can skate, kill penalties and is more than capible of playing the game.  I wouldnt want either but between the two its not really close.  Take fighting out and Rupp still has a chance to play in the league. Thorton...I dont think so.

Rupp is a team worst -7 this year, averaging 12 seconds of PK per game.  Last year he averaged 2 seconds of PK per game.  You sure Rupp is a big part of the Pen's PK and that is a big differentiator compared to Thornton?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I say sit Thornton for the playoffs. Ryder has to be in the line up, so it's either him or Paille..I'll take the speed come playoff time, but with Claude you never know. He sat Kessel 2 games in favor of Jeremy Reich 3 years ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : Rupp is a team worst -7 this year, averaging 12 seconds of PK per game.  Last year he averaged 2 seconds of PK per game.  You sure Rupp is a big part of the Pen's PK and that is a big differentiator compared to Thornton?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

You played the PK part to death.  My point was he has a role.  He is a much better skater, hits and I would have no problem having him play a shift to change the pace of a game.  Rupp has more hits b/c he is a better skater.  He is a much more intimidating player as well.

As I mentioned I wouldnt want either starting for me come the playoffs.  But of the two I would take the better skater and the one who hits more.  Heck and one who has a stanley cup winning goal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Shupe, Rupp's role is no different than Thornton's, he isn't any better of a player, and he isn't any more intimidating.  Goodard and Engeland fight the heavyweights for him on that team.  No one is afraid of Rupp (although he did beat Thornton in that fight).

You say 'Eager can play'?  What?  Have you watched him?  He's terrible.  Much worse player than Thornton.  I know right now is an easy time to bag on Thornton, but we're getting a little out of hand.

I like Crowls point about Barch too.

And, I would be just fine if Thornton sat for some playoff games, just for the record.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Rupp isnt a great fighter no denying that.  But he shows up and is a better player.  Skating in Pitts lineup is no easy task when they have everyone up and running. 
    His role is to protect his players and hit and turn the tide of the game.  He likely cracks 200 hits this year.  To me that is more than just a 2-5 minute goon.  Fact is Thorton shouldnt get near the ice he does.  He is terrible.
    Another point is we have enough team toughness.  Chara/Lucic/Campy/McQ.

At least we agree in one area that he shouldnt be in the lineup come playoff time.  And for those who think he should...why?  What team in the East dresses the skating clown?  Philly- No- Shelley has a broken face and likely doesnt see ice time.  Carcillo is brutal and can be handled.  Washington- no skating clown, Montreal- no skating clown, Buffalo- no skating clown, Rangers- no skating clown. Pitt- No skating clown.  Godard wont play, Engelland is a 6th dman who plays, Rupp isnt worth dressing Thorton. 

Point of the entire post was Thorton should sit.  I agree 100%.  If Paille is used to kill some penalties, add some team speed I will take that.  Thorton adds nothing.

I wasnt trying to turn this into a who's better. But ask me who I would wanna start between the two in the playoffs and I will take the guy who has better skating and more hits and is a large large man(hense my intimidating factor).  No one cares about Thorton b/c he cant skate and doesnt hit as much. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And just one last thing.  Eager is twice the hockey player Thorton is.  He played very well for Chicago last year.  He is a meathead and cant fight.  But he can play and also chipped in for the Hawks during their drive.  Plus he is also a better skater and hitter.  Terrible fighter, but a better HOCKEY player

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rupp isnt a great fighter no denying that.  But he shows up and is a better player.  Skating in Pitts lineup is no easy task when they have everyone up and running.  His role is to protect his players and hit and turn the tide of the game.  He likely cracks 200 hits this year.  To me that is more than just a 2-5 minute goon.  Fact is Thorton shouldnt get near the ice he does.  He is terrible. Another point is we have enough team toughness.  Chara/Lucic/Campy/McQ. At least we agree in one area that he shouldnt be in the lineup come playoff time.  And for those who think he should...why?  What team in the East dresses the skating clown?  Philly- No- Shelley has a broken face and likely doesnt see ice time.  Carcillo is brutal and can be handled.  Washington- no skating clown, Montreal- no skating clown, Buffalo- no skating clown, Rangers- no skating clown. Pitt- No skating clown.  Godard wont play, Engelland is a 6th dman who plays, Rupp isnt worth dressing Thorton.  Point of the entire post was Thorton should sit.  I agree 100%.  If Paille is used to kill some penalties, add some team speed I will take that.  Thorton adds nothing. I wasnt trying to turn this into a who's better. But ask me who I would wanna start between the two in the playoffs and I will take the guy who has better skating and more hits and is a large large man(hense my intimidating factor).  No one cares about Thorton b/c he cant skate and doesnt hit as much. 
    I've gotta say Rupp earned my respect for squaring off at centre ice with Chara last year.He's a gamer if nothing else.And I like Thornton-just not as a regular in Boston's playoff lineup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

If the choice for the final 2 spots is between Thornton, Paille and Ryder, then #73 is out for me.  Can't trust that Ryder will skate and compete, I am confident that Thornton and Paille will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If the choice for the final 2 spots is between Thornton, Paille and Ryder, then #73 is out for me.  Can't trust that Ryder will skate and compete, I am confident that Thornton and Paille will.
    I've said it all year,my issues with Thornton are when he forgets to finish his checks.He should know that's where 90% of usefulness lies but it seems like he goes through stretches of trying to be a scorer.If he doesn't score again this year,I'm OK with it as long as he's hitting everytime he has the chance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : I've said it all year,my issues with Thornton are when he forgets to finish his checks.He should know that's where 90% of usefulness lies but it seems like he goes through stretches of trying to be a scorerIf he doesn't score again this year,I'm OK with it as long as he's hitting everytime he has the chance.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

And not taking himself out of the play to stir the pot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]If the choice for the final 2 spots is between Thornton, Paille and Ryder, then #73 is out for me.  Can't trust that Ryder will skate and compete, I am confident that Thornton and Paille will.

looks like alot of people may get there wish. fluto has ryder skating with 4th line 2day in practice. i dont know if it matters but when fluto gave his projected starting line up against Chicago the 4th line consisted of paille-campbell-ryder/thornton. read into it what u want. i just feel like richhill and many others have written that julian is just loyal to his veterns to a fault and i think that leaves the most responisable defensive forward (paille) out of that bunch in the press box.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

[QUOTE]My point is that Rupp hasn't fought either since the 3/5 bout.  Thornton picks his spots, just like Rupp I presume.  I like Thornton being on the 4th line, but agree he is their worst forward.  He serves his purpose, playing an honest, hard-working game. By the way, Krys Barch hasn't fought since his 2/3 bout with Thornton.
    Interesting last point