Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes

In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes:
    [QUOTE]Seattle.  They'll make due in the Key Arena temporarily. Sports fans there are still steaming mad from the defection of the Sonics.  The politicos there will want to appease if a buyer comes forward. A Vanc-Seattle rivalry WILL be good for the league.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

As 49 has pointed out before, the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver rivalry in MLS is really quite intense. No reason that rivalry wouldn't carry over into hockey. Plus Seattle has an interested owner who knows the league already - Don Levin, the owner of the Chicago Wolves. Like Chipman did with the Moose, he's used the Wolves to show that he knows how to run a hockey franchise. I don't think any of the other potential owners have that kind of pedigree and experience. Gives him a leg up I think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : That was before my time, too young to remember anything pre lockout tbh. Traveling would completely suck if they did go to Quebec City.. wonder if they did would Columbus come to the east, and Quebec to the west?
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

It may be worth checking some of the vids on youtube. Complete bloodlettings and I am not overstating. It really would be worth getting that type of rivalry back!!!

Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veX55rLYAgQ

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Someone please close the screendoor. The mosquitoes are getting in again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just had a thought, if Levin is the one to get them, means he'd likely have the Wolves as the Seattle (Metropolitans?) farm club, meaning the Canucks would have change farm teams two seasons in a row. I think Phoenix's AHL team is in San Antonio.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Love the name, hate the jersey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

My choice would be Seattle as well, for my well-documented rationale of the heated rivalry which would no doubt ensue, as well as for the following, equally valid reasons:
    -moving PHX to SEA retains the team in the West, and avoids the E-W balance problems during the next potential realignment
    -plans in place to build a new, state-of-the-art building
    -a strong population base, with existing hockey fans (T-Birds, Silvertips)
    -hockey history (1917, imagine the 100th anniversary celebrations)

Not to mention, it would be a great excuse for a road-trip (unlike you Boston area fans, it`s no simple matter going on a quick roadie when you`re in VanCity).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : Worst NHL jersey ever. Close runner up, the Vancouver giant V sweater. Red - that jersey is making me rethink my Lumberjacks choice.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

I absolutely abhor the Oh Henry jersey -- so embarrassing.

But, when speaking of ugly jerseys, I believe I`ve heard a lot of hate from participants here directed towards the one-time Bruins`alternate (Winnie the Pu), as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]Love the name, hate the jersey.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I like the team, but hate both the jersey and the name.

Got tons of coyotes here in Maine. They couldn't have picked a more cowardly wild animal name than Coyotes haha.

Also their feminine welps/houls at night are a pain in the A** when you're trying to sleep :p

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Milwaukee is a dark horse because the would have to go through the Bucks owner to use the Bradley Center and it's a dump not very modern. The Admirals draw well but having a newer or brand new arena is a must.

WHL fans in the Pacific Northwest loyal and rabid, Seattle has to be the front runner. The City of Glendale and the Barry Goldwater conservative caucus watch group just couldn't get it together.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Sockeye this! I can see it now on shirts all over the place.

Personally I like the Coyotes. I hope they pull through and stay there. I loved the white out. That was epic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : I absolutely abhor the Oh Henry jersey -- so embarrassing. But, when speaking of ugly jerseys, I believe I`ve heard a lot of hate from participants here directed towards the one-time Bruins`alternate (Winnie the Pu), as well.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

The Winnie the Pooo jersey was/is horrible. Such a bad idea. I was at the game v. buffalo on Monday and I saw some guy wearing that gawdawful sweater. I wanted to ask him if he just had poor taste or had lost a bet. yeeeesh!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Sockeye this! I can see it now on shirts all over the place. Personally I like the Coyotes. I hope they pull through and stay there. I loved the white out. That was epic.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I think you're thinking of the Jets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : I think you're thinking of the Jets.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I believe the Yotes copied it as well....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : I believe the Yotes copied it as well....
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    It actually was started by the Canuck fans in the 82' play-offs against the BlackHawks. Which stemmed from Roger Neilson holding up a white towel on a stick to tell the refs "he surrendered". Then the Jets copied it in 87' on a challenge to the Jets fans to overshadow the Sea of Red in Calgary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : It actually was started by the Canuck fans in the 82' play-offs against the BlackHawks. Which stemmed from Roger Neilson holding up a white towel on a stick to tell the refs "he surrendered". Then the Jets copied it in 87' on a challenge to the Jets fans to overshadow the Sea of Red in Calgary.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

That's right, forgot about that. So we have the Nucks (in their horrible V jerseys) to thank for this!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well, sort of... we didn't focus on the towels like the Canucks did, the Jets concentrated on clothing. I was there for the first whiteout game. It was all about showing up the Flames fans. That was a crazy game - I remember a fellow fan giving me a hard time because I was wearing blue high-top sneakers, along with my white slacks and white Steen jersey and white wig. Gave me crap because my shoes weren't white. I'll never forget that one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Move them to Toronto.   We're lacking an NHL team right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]Move them to Toronto.   We're lacking an NHL team right now.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

That's actually not as crazy as it sounds....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

[QUOTE]I hope they go to Quebec, not sure about the other sites buit you know their is a passion for it. Thats good enough for me.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I would love to see the Nordiques back in Quebec. I think that the fans would support it big time. I too loved the Habs-Nordiques rivalry and the B's/Nords games growing up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I was referring to the first round of last years playoffs. They whited out the arena. It was pretty cool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : I would love to see the Nordiques back in Quebec. I think that the fans would support it big time. I too loved the Habs-Nordiques rivalry and the B's/Nords games growing up.
    Posted by ROWDYRODRUST[/QUOTE]

A franchise failed there once already. Many of the reasons they failed are still in place. It's a very small market....I think it's risky to give them a franchise again. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Times FINALLY almost up for the Coyotes : A franchise failed there once already. Many of the reasons they failed are still in place. It's a very small market....I think it's risky to give them a franchise again. 
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that. The main reasons they failed the last time were ownership, the Canadian dollar, the woeful economy there and their building.
    The first three of those problems have been solved (while I don't like or trust Pelladeau, he does have deep pockets).

The building is the main remaining problem, and I'm not sure if that will be solved anytime soon.

That said, along with Atlanta, Quebec is one of only two cities where the NHL has failed twice. Third times the charm maybe? I don't think out of hand that the NHL failing once in a city is reason enough by itself to not revisit a market - going back to a market has worked with the Avs, Sens, Pens, Flyers, Jets, Sharks, and Wild.