Toronto Maple Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

I am a Bruins fan living in TO and the city is a hockey crazy town!
    Leafs are again a mess with zero goaltending for starters.
    Kulimen, Conolly, Bozak are a waste of a uniform.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs:
    [QUOTE]I hate the Leafs.  For the same reason Chowdah enjoys their mediocrity - I lived in Toronto for long enough to know that that fan base gets less rational, less humble, and more obnoxious by the year.  Witness the annual parade of hope springing eternal in every Toronto-based hockey publication - I mean, someone made money off of "In Reimer We Trust" merch.  Reimer=Lacher.  A guy who has no resume who had a run of bizarre success for half a year and has since been exposed. I love to watch Burke fail.  I do like some of the things he has come up with - his position on trying to rebuild your team at the deadline (stupid and inflationary) or on July 1.  His agressiveness when it comes to acquiring players he thinks can be core players via trade - Sedins, Pronger, and even Phaneuf and Kessel.  Say what you want about how the last two not panning out, but Phaneuf is their best D by a country mile, and Kessel is the only true offensive threat they have - Lupul has never played as well as he has with Kessel.  It costs part of my soul to say Kessel has made someone better, but there you go. The worst of the Leafs' problems were inherited - except the Kessel deal.  Finger was Cliff Fletcher.  There were no prospects in that system when Burke got there and no system to develop them.  They had no goaltender and no goaltending prospects.  Ferguson and Fletcher had better records because they were stewards of the last days of the Sundin/Quinn era.  Neither of them did squat to deserve an ounce of praise for those better records.  Burke has had a ton of churn, and he may truly be no closer to a contender than he was four years ago, but there's a difference between running that team into the ground and running in circles.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

You may be right Book, but he's had four years now to try to get something that's not chum, and he hasn't done it. It was his choice and strategy to not go into a rebuild, and push for the playoffs right now without a restructuring. That was four years ago, and the team has simply gotten worse. That's on Burke's faioleed strategy and his assessment of their existing talent, and not the previous management.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

i've never seen anyone who loves the spotlight more and yet pretends he doesnt.  burke will call a press conference to announce nothing is happening and then act annoyed that the press is there.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I have no feeling for the Leafs despite following them second only to the Bruins.  I don't dislike them but I don't root for them unless there is a Bruin angle to whom they're playing (i. e., Habs, Buff, Philly, Van) Living in the G. T. A. you can't help hearing about their stuff as they're a year-round industry regardless of whatever they're present situation. 

I'd imaging some NHL franchises would love to have that kind of limitless exposure and adoration especially after not having won a championship in 45 years.  It's hard to see the justification of their high standing in the public consciousness being so long between Cups.  Leaf happenings are everywhere which is why Toronto is a Leaf town and not a hockey town. 

I've read about high school tourneys in Boston (The Bean Pot) or in Minnesota that draw sizable crowds and big coverage.  Toronto has nothing like this.  It's all-Leafs, all the time.  This was the reason I used to hear from fans that MLSE and their wealth were never in a hurry to build a winner if 19,000 plus were filling the ACC every night to watch a bad hockey team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Count me among those who actually do hate the Leafs. As a Western Canadian I've been subjected to national coverage of this mediocre if not down right awful team my whole life. Every single Saturday, even if there were better games and Canadian teams playing, plus constant coverage on the three national sports networks. Their ubiquity, even when they're awful (which is almost always) has lead me to hate them. So in a way I'm revelling in just how brutal a job their supposed saviour, Burke, has done. The Leafs have done worse under him, and are overall a worse team, than they were under John Ferguson Jr./Cliff Fletcher. As I mentioned to RHO the other day, Under JF Jr. the Leafs finished 2nd, 4th and 3rd in the NE with 103, 90 and 91 point seasons. That 4th year when Fltcher took over half waay through, they finished 5th with 83 points. Under Burke they've finished 5th, 5th and 4th with 81, 74, andf 85 point seasons. And this year with 9 games lefvt and them sitting at 72 points, there's a very good chancce they won't break the 80 point barrier again, and they'll finish either 4th or 5th in the division yet again. I have no clue how Burke still has a job, let alone how so many Leafs fans still defend him. By the numbers, by the record, he's done a worse job than JF Jr. and he was run out of town on a rail. Boggles my mind how Burke still gets a pay cheque.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - If we are to believe the samplings of sports talk call-ins here in Toronto, the gaze of the Leaf fan has turned towards him.  He's got his own coach as Wilson was hired by Interim GM Fletcher and the roster has many of his own acqusitions.  He's on the hook.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : red - If we are to believe the samplings of sports talk call-ins here in Toronto, the gaze of the Leaf fan has turned towards him.  He's got his own coach as Wilson was hired by Interim GM Fletcher and the roster has many of his own acqusitions.  He's on the hook.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure they'll try to get one of Perry,Getzlaf or Ryan out of Anaheim. Murray seems to be one of the only g.m's to willingly get fleeced by his old boss.Then Burke will try and get Parros and some other tough guys to play Carlyle's style. I'm sure Burke will blame most of the fiasco on Wilson and try to say Ron was against fielding a truculent team.To think Burke could have had Kessel for Kaberle and Kadri. What a dumb g.m he is, makes moc seem almost capable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

@RHO - agree...do you think there is enough of a 'non-Leaf' fanbase in T.O. if Toronto gets a 2nd NHL team?

I have heard T.O. is being considered along with Hamilton, Quebec City and Saskatoon. Probably a media push.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : I'm sure they'll try to get one of Perry,Getzlaf or Ryan out of Anaheim. Murray seems to be one of the only g.m's to willingly get fleeced by his old boss.Then Burke will try and get Parros and some other tough guys to play Carlyle's style. I'm sure Burke will blame most of the fiasco on Wilson and try to say Ron was against fielding a truculent team.To think Burke could have had Kessel for Kaberle and Kadri. What a dumb g.m he is, makes moc seem almost capable. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

50 - I can see Burke absorbing any public scorn.  That seems his style.  Understandably he hasn't been seen smiling much lately.  Thing is I don't remember Wilson ever stating he favoured a specifically aggressive team.  Burke did.  This might suggest the two were never in agreement regarding what form the Leafs would take.  Wilson's style seemed to be geared to offense not the rough 'n tumble image of Burke's Ducks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : 50 - I can see Burke absorbing any public scorn.  Understandably he hasn't been seen smiling much lately.  Thing is I don't remember Wilson ever stating he favoured a specifically aggressive team.  Burke did.  This might suggest the two were never in agreement regarding what form the Leafs would take.  Wilson's style seemed to be geared to offense not the rough 'n tumble image of Burke's Ducks.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    I guess what i'm really saying is it will be a cold day in hell before Burke admits his mistakes let alone take responsibility for one of them.I'm sure if you asked him today he would still adamantly maintain he would make the Kessel trade again and twice on sundays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]@RHO - agree...do you think there is enough of a 'non-Leaf' fanbase in T.O. if Toronto gets a 2nd NHL team? I have heard T.O. is being considered along with Hamilton, Quebec City and Saskatoon. Probably a media push.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]

Dav - I think the Leafs would still be the kings of hockey here.  Perhaps if the other franchise soon developed into a team more competitive than the Leafs then maybe some would change sides.  There would have to be some territorial rights settled and paid to the Leafs and Buffalo who would not want their revenues impacted by the new team.  A new arena would have to be built in the G. T. A.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : I guess what i'm really saying is it will be a cold day in hell before Burke admits his mistakes let alone take responsibility for one of them.I'm sure if you asked him today he would still adamantly maintain he would make the Kessel trade again and twice on sundays.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

50 - You're right. He would and he has.  I like this take from The Toronto Star's Dave Feschuck dated Wed. Mar. 7/12: " The Phil Kessel trade will haunt this city forever.  The Bruins and Leafs have met 11 time now since the fatebul swap and Tyler Seguin - just one of the fruits of the Burke deal that brought Toronto its best perimeter floater since Vince Carter - has outscored Kessel 7-3. 

Never mind that Seguin, age 20 to Kessel's 24, is only hopping aboard a skyward-bound improvement curve.  Never mind that Kessel is as good as he is going to get.  The Bruins also got the drat pick that became Dougie Hamilton, the kind of uber-prospect defenceman every NHL franchise covets and just won the Cup." 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I hate the Leafs.  For the same reason Chowdah enjoys their mediocrity - I lived in Toronto for long enough to know that that fan base gets less rational, less humble, and more obnoxious by the year. 

BB - When the team was qualifying for the playoffs in the early 2000's many of their fans would parade around downtown with horns and whistles blowing after each win.  Like it was a championship.  A bit over the top?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't disagree red; in realtive terms, though, I think he has been an improvement over their past two regimes.  If I had to put a finger on what the problem is, I'd say his problem occurs where bucking the trend runs into arrogant blind spots.  If I'm looking at what they had in the cupboard when Burke started, I think I'd agree that he was in a terrible position to try a pure rebuild.  He had Schenn and then he got Kadri, but he didn't have much else.  He didn't have players who would bring back top prospects or high picks, so he couldn't even gut the remainder of his roster and go from scorched earth.  That looks like a longer rebuild than most in a market that has both no patience and infinite delusions.  Once he decided to go the jumpstart route, though, his judgement of who to pursue - and who he's had the chance to get - has been his downfall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

RHO - you know the phrase "act like you've been there before"?  They don't.

Leafs with 14 shots tonight against the Islanders.  The.  Islanders.  After getting shellacked by the Bruins, they turn in a 14 shot effort.  Are they in full mutiny?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]RHO - you know the phrase "act like you've been there before"?  They don't. Leafs with 14 shots tonight against the Islanders.  The.  Islanders.  After getting shellacked by the Bruins, they turn in a 14 shot effort.  Are they in full mutiny?

Did you watch the game Book? I did. The Leafs were horrible but so were the Islanders which is the only reason the score was even remotely close. Any decent team would have destroyed them like the B's did yesterday. Horrible D, no goaltending, and timid forwards. They've packed it in. No pride or dignity, just riding it out until golf season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

43 days since the last home win for the Leafs.

Thats not a typo. 43. Thats crazy.

I dont hate them, I actually like when they are relevant, but they should be moving forward and theyre taking the fast train the opposite way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]RHO - you know the phrase "act like you've been there before"?  They don't. Leafs with 14 shots tonight against the Islanders.  The.  Islanders.  After getting shellacked by the Bruins, they turn in a 14 shot effort.  Are they in full mutiny?

Book - You read my mind.  They're insufferable that way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Classic headline by Sportsnet following the "game" tonight against NYI, "Lottery Battle Tightens." hehe....

Check it out:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/03/20/leafs_islanders_recap/

Even the TO media homers have given up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

One simple question with Burke's performance since he's arrived in TO.

Are the Leafs a better team ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]One simple question with Burke's performance since he's arrived in TO.   Are the Leafs a better team ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Short answer...no

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Toronto Maple Leafs : Short answer...no
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

There you go. A simple explanation on the job Burke has done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, but are they a better organization?  I'd say yes.  I think they're closer to having success now than they were when he took over, even if the results aren't there.  They've taken the pipe now, but if they had any goaltending whatsoever, and if they hadn't lost a few key players to injury (ifs and buts - Wheaties for Leaf fans...) they showed they could be a factor earlier in the year. Ultimately, yeah, you judge the guy by the wins column and the strategy he sets out to get those wins.  He hasn't produced those numbers yet, but if I'm thinking "fire now or not" I'm more inclined to give him more time just because the organization was such a joke when he arrived.

But then, I hope the Leafs continue to stink, so....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

They look very much like a team tanking it for better draft position. Pittsburgh must be looking north and beaming with pride :P

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]They look very much like a team tanking it for better draft position. Pittsburgh must be looking north and beaming with pride :P
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Chicago too though perhaps to a lesser extent. There were no Crosby's or Malkin's to draft when they tanked. Only Kane's and Toews'.