Trade Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Re: Trade Talk

Have I really read "Hal Gill" as a trade prospect here, seven times?  Madess, sheer madness!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Talk:
    [QUOTE]You had me until you said SanDog had a sense of reality  Both the Peverley and Kelly deals are perfect examples of good trade talk, actually, and no one saw that kind of deal coming because of the fixation on the UFA star.  Kelly was on a team that looked like a massive rebuild was coming.  He was slighlty over-priced for the Senators given that he's not a big offensive producer when surrounded by lesser talents but can earn that $2M+ because he has just enough finish to hang with good offensive players - not to create, but to hang with them.  He wasn't on the verge of a new contract, just a guy in the wrong situation who looked overpriced there and proved to be just right in Boston. Same with Peverley.  Little and Kane were moving up the depth chart, and probably pushing Peverley to the margins.  Tough to tell a guy who was the #1 C on a bad team that he's going to drop to #3 so the young guys get their chance to shine when the former #1C is only 28.  For what he brings Peverley's sub $2M deal was sweet.  And the fit in Boston also has proven to be pretty sweet for both sides. Here's the key: these are deals you credit to scouting.  Most fans don't watch enough Thrasher v. Senators games to get a real sense of what a third line player's game is - where he's strong and where he's not.  Media don't talk about these guys because really, how exciting is the name Rich Peverley?  Much less exciting than Kovalchuk or Weber or Suter or whoever.  But last year, the Bruins won in part because of these deals - not because of the more ballyhooed Kaberle deal. Go back - the Blackhawks didn't acquire anyone the year they won.  The Penguin version of Peverley and Kelly was Chris Kunitz and Craig Adams.  The Wings added Brad Stuart, who was basically a reclamation project at that point.  And Anaheim?  They added Jackman, George Parros, and Brad May.  See a pattern?  Not one Stanley Cup winner has gotten there by adding a pending UFA veteran star.  Not.  One.  
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    What about Mogilny to the Devils in 2000? Rob Blake to Colorado for a Cup in 2001? I'm not sure it's as rare as you think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

NAS brought this up in the other post. Interesting reading.

By the way I am really interested in reading all the opinions. I don't claim to be the hockey guru here so I will leave all the trade rumors to all of you. But will bring up food or questions to start discussions so I can read and learn.

My only thoughts is that I don't like the idea of losing Boychuk regardless of all the hate toward him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Now somebody inform me as to why Nashville would get rid of Suter? LOL Bleacher Report is the TMZ of sports websites. Let's throw in Weber, too! We'll give ya Boychuk, Corvo and Hamill for Suter and Weber. Sounds great!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : What about Mogilny to the Devils in 2000? Rob Blake to Colorado for a Cup in 2001? I'm not sure it's as rare as you think.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Good research Dez. It did and can happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : What about Mogilny to the Devils in 2000? Rob Blake to Colorado for a Cup in 2001? I'm not sure it's as rare as you think.

dez, I intended the sentence to read "recent".  The Butch Goring rule has lost a lot of punch since the Cap, but even before the Cap, the team with the biggest move at the deadline - even the contender with the splashiest move - rarely won out.  Colorado adding Blake was an example of team that had 3-1 odds bumpin up to 2-1. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Good research Dez. It did and can happen.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Happens a whole lot less than people seem to think given the amount of attention paid to this particular scenario.  Detroit, on the other hand, mastered the art of the right fit acquisition long ago and it has served them well for close to two decades.  For every Mogilny or Blake, there are a dozen Kovalchuks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Happens a whole lot less than people seem to think given the amount of attention paid to this particular scenario.  Detroit, on the other hand, mastered the art of the right fit acquisition long ago and it has served them well for close to two decades.  For every Mogilny or Blake, there are a dozen Kovalchuks.

Maybe if the "recent" was posted your "not one" comment would have been right. I was only going by what was posted and not what was intended.

Considering you have now clarified then I agree .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A lot of credit for Peverly and kelly went to Jim Benning, so let's see what rabbit he pulls out this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

No thanx to the following d men Gill or MA Bergeron, but yes to Allen or Zidlichy( he is not happy in Minny) but the 4.9 mill contract is controversial but this sounds like a good gamble change of scenery can help players.

No thanx to senior citizen players Vinovsky/ Whitney

If the Bruins get Gagner still young and I would welcome him it will cost good picks and prospects but can't beat the return. Goal scorer and PP player.

For low cost rentals that can be sufficient to the bruins line up depth Dominic Moore can be the 3rd and 4th line we need and can be more effective than Thornton and Moore can keep other players honest and healthy scratches if need be.

Horton injury will and is hurting us with Peverly on the 1st line and getting Moore for third line duties  be time to get Moore a low risk deal into the bruins system now while Horton mends.

Looch Krejci Peverly
    Marchand Bergy Seguin
    Poulit Kelly Moore
    Paille Campbell Thornton/Caron

If and when the bruins mngt. are waiting accurate statement on Horton's injury status Moore does have speed, utility and can slowly work in the Bruins structure.With 20 more days to deadline to figure out what the situation is with Horton and by then more teams will be eventually out the playoff picture and brighter view what the bruins need and don't need.

First trade now is to get Moore, then 20 days or less to figure out second trade Gagner ( pending Horton's injury) and third the defence strength if it will be alright or need better depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Gagner seems like he would be wasted in Boston. I'm also not sold on his ability, Zach Hamill could have gotten a lot of the 8 points he picked up in that game. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Ray Whitney and Brett Clark.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

I know some of you don't care for posters who just blatantly say "I like this guy", well, because we do. But tough cookies... here goes. 

Dustin Brown at 3.2m/yr would be a PERFECT third line RW for this team. The guy is only 27, tough, can score and is a leader. He would provide some valuable insurance in case Horton is out long term as well, which would make Pouliot your 13th forward. He is also signed through next season.

That being said, I am not sure what LA would be willing to take for him, especially because Chia has stated he does not want to trade a roster player. It would have to be a pretty sweet package of prospects/picks but I think he fits the mold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Maybe if the "recent" was posted your "not one" comment would have been right. I was only going by what was posted and not what was intended. Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Yup.  My bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I know some of you don't care for posters who just blatantly say "I like this guy", well, because we do. But tough cookies... here goes.  Dustin Brown at 3.2m/yr would be a PERFECT third line RW for this team. The guy is only 27, tough, can score and is a leader. He would provide some valuable insurance in case Horton is out long term as well, which would make Pouliot your 13th forward. He is also signed through next season. That being said, I am not sure what LA would be willing to take for him, especially because Chia has stated he does not want to trade a roster player. It would have to be a pretty sweet package of prospects/picks but I think he fits the mold.
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]

But why would LA, a playoff bound team, trade their team captain and 3rd leading scorer?  This is the problem with some of the trade suggestions -- they make no consideration of the other team's perspective.  I just can't see any scenario where LA would deal him.  They're trying to win the Cup too.

I think the smaller depth move is the only realistic route for the Bruins, and I think they'll want a defensemen first.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's what I call e-harmony, Fletch, and to his credit, bridgeman has already laid out the tough cookies, so it's not like we're telling him anything.  I don't read e-harmony proposals as real trade talk - you can just substitute: "boy, is player x a good player.  Wish he was a Bruin!"

In which case, I would fully support a post saying: boy, is Dustin Brown a good player.  I wouldn't cry if he was a Bruin.  (Won't happen any time soon!)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Talk:[QUOTE] Ruutu being dealt, and he's as close to a true insider as there really is. He did not list the Bruins among the teams pursuing him though. He mentioned Spacek as another guy who could be dealt... I think he could be a good fit in Boston. Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I think of the history PC and Rutherford have then Allen along with Ruutu have to be considered. The Bs can take on $16M in contracts when you figure in prorated time left in the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : I think of the history PC and Rutherford have then Allen along with Ruutu have to be considered. The Bs can take on $16M in contracts when you figure in prorated time left in the season.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Actually, I understand it to be a 7.8 million cap hit we are capable of taking on, not 7.8 million in real dollars.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Your cap hit from a player is only from the time they are on your roster. The Bruins have 2.5 mil in cap space.  At the trade deadline there will be about a quarter of the season left, so you only have to take on a quarter of a players salary.  Let's say they worked out a trade to get Ovechkin for Hamill.  Ovie's contract at $10 mil would be divided by 4 because that's what's left in the season. That means his cap hit is 2.5 mil, and the Bruins can take him on. Looking at it another way, it's like the Bruins have 11.7 mil in cap space come the deadline.  Further to that, they could put Savard on LTIR at any time, allowing them to exceed the cap by his remaining salary. His hit is over 4 mil, so on deadline day the Bruins can take on almost 16 mil in (full year) contracts for the rest of the year. In other words, cap space is really not an issue for picking up any pending UFA's at the deadline.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Actually, I understand it to be a 7.8 million cap hit we are capable of taking on, not 7.8 million in real dollars.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : dez, I intended the sentence to read "recent".  The Butch Goring rule has lost a lot of punch since the Cap, but even before the Cap, the team with the biggest move at the deadline - even the contender with the splashiest move - rarely won out.  Colorado adding Blake was an example of team that had 3-1 odds bumpin up to 2-1. 
    Book, I wasn't busting your balls. It's just your statement about it never happenning got me thinking, "could he be right, has it never happenned?". It just got me curious. You're right though. It doesn't happen successfully very often.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Ha! My exact thought.  You beat me to it.  I was hitting the "next" tabs and Suter comes up.  Right, the Preds are not on the upswing; they aren't contending; they aren't just starting to get crowds....so, yeah, they'll deal a stud D-man for a bunch of picks....
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    Ipot, if you were the GM in Nashville and realized that you couldn't get Suter to re-sign, would you not want to get something for him at the deadline? I've no doubt that Nashville wants to keep him. That doesn't make him easier to sign though. I think they need to get ready to pay upwards of 15m for Suter and Weber if they try to keep them both.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : But why would LA, a playoff bound team, trade their team captain and 3rd leading scorer?  This is the problem with some of the trade suggestions -- they make no consideration of the other team's perspective.  I just can't see any scenario where LA would deal him.  They're trying to win the Cup too. I think the smaller depth move is the only realistic route for the Bruins, and I think they'll want a defensemen first.  
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Definitely think this is the #1 priority on PC's mind. Kampfer as the backup to our top 6 D is beyond scary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

So who would be realistically have to go if we actually made a trade? With Horton out he is untradeable? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : Ipot, if you were the GM in Nashville and realized that you couldn't get Suter to re-sign, would you not want to get something for him at the deadline? I've no doubt that Nashville wants to keep him. That doesn't make him easier to sign though. I think they need to get ready to pay upwards of 15m for Suter and Weber if they try to keep them both.

I say Nashville is better off trading Suter. Trade him and get some scoring. They've had Suter,Weber and Rinne for how long now? What have they won? Now with those 3 taking up significant cap room how can they add scoring. Good team, Suter is a terrific player but they have the goaltending and 2 stud d-men and what do they get? Losing in the playoffs 2-1 or 3-2. Need balance and they lack enough scoring to be legit cup contenders.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Talk : I say Nashville is better off trading Suter. Trade him and get some scoring. They've had Suter,Weber and Rinne for how long now? What have they won? Now with those 3 taking up significant cap room how can they add scoring. Good team, Suter is a terrific player but they have the goaltending and 2 stud d-men and what do they get? Losing in the playoffs 2-1 or 3-2. Need balance and they lack enough scoring to be legit cup contenders.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, I'm of a similar mind-set. Move Suter for some scoring help if the price is right.