TT Traded

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: TT Traded

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

To me when they say conditional pick I don't think if TT signs as a UFA the Buins get anything.

Just the fact they free up some cap space it's a win win situation.

Thank you Mr Thomas for 2011

The Islanders have the option to toll TT's contract and I can not think of one reason they wouldn't toll it.  I would be surprised too see TT hit free agency.

that's right !!! Wouldn't that be lovely for TT, he'll belong to the Islanders next year and might demand to be traded.  Now it wouldbe the Islanders that control his destiny and that's Karma .

Seems to me these Islanders have a little experience with forcing goalies that dont want to play for their awful team to play there anyway... Nabokov, anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Isles can toll forward the deal until Thomas chooses to play, but I think the writing on the wall here is that they will toll for one year and if Thomas doesn't come back to prep for Socchi, well - we all know that will be the end for him, right?  But he's been a man of his word - if not his contract - to this point, so I bet you a conditional second round pick that he comes back and plays in Long Island next year.  Like I wrote above, Nabokov is a UFA at the end of the year.  The Isles could let him walk and go with TT for a year before easing in Anders Nilsson as their long-term guy (though his numbers in Bridgeport are off this year).

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Thanks for 2011, Timmy!  But like Red said, Good Riddance.

Brilliant move by PC.  He has a lot more flexibility now.  I hope he uses it wisely. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

While he is a 5M cap hit, he is only owed 3M, in actual dollars, so that will really make Wang smile.

This was a great deal by Chiarelli, especially for next year's reduced cap. I did not expect a potential 2nd round pick coming back, to the Bruins. I was expecting a trade, more like, TT & a bruin 5th round pick, for a teams' 3rd rounder.

I will always be thankful for what Thomas did for the bruins, and I wish he could have finished his career with them, but he made his decision, and it's time to move on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm going to have a blast watching where that second round pick is going to end up next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

The Isles were over the cap floor before making this trade, so getting TT gives them flexibility to dump some high $$$ contracts and still remain over the floor. Have to wonder if there is any limit to them tolling TT's contract each year that he doesn't show (unless he officially retires I guess). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Let Jah be praised!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Dave24's comment:

The Isles were over the cap floor before making this trade, so getting TT gives them flexibility to dump some high $$$ contracts and still remain over the floor. Have to wonder if there is any limit to them tolling TT's contract each year that he doesn't show (unless he officially retires I guess). 

Exactly.  Not even part of the equation.  I don't see the move as brilliant, but it's not bad either.  Savards cap hit should've been enough to aquire any rental needed for this year without subtraction.  Don't see PC getting a 10mil rental, or two 5's either.  Next year TT's off the books, so it's not about anything then.  An Islander 2nd, is a pretty good pick though.

Could work out pretty well for NY if indeed TT plans on resuming his career.  3mil is pretty attractive, and a lot of teams would warm to that number for 1 year, if the Isles dangled Thomas late summer. 

We also don't know TT's true motivation.  If the sabbatical has anything to do with his relationship with the B's, maybe Thomas becomes motivated to play 10 games and the playoffs this year, if the Isles agree to move him to a team on his list.  There's no competitive issues with New York, so they'd move him anywhere for something better than they just paid the B's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Beautiful.  

We clear $5M; Isles make the cap floor.  

If he plays, we get a 2nd rounder who could be the next Lucic or the next Yuri Alexandrov, a 50/50 proposition.

Wins all around.  Even Thomas - who has his name on the Cup, a Vezina, a Conn Smythe, and the option to retire before 40 without worrying about hitting the soup kitchen with the money he's earned for himself and his family.  Should we all be so lucky....

I totally agree, except not everyone is a winner.  If I were an Isles fan this would outrage me (as somebody else already mentioned).  Their team just put 'fake' money against the cap to get to the floor.  They chose this route so they didn't have spend real cap money to improve their team and essentially circumvented the concept of the cap floor.  I can't imagine rooting for that team, or being in John Tavares' shoes right now.  They aren't trying to win.  Maybe Thomas comes back and is good, but until then I would never buy tickets to see a team that refuses to even spend the to the cap floor.  And they have the money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've read multiple reports to the contrary, somebody clear this up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/299646262066696192

You per usual did not read my post.  If TT decides to play as a UFA, the Bs get nuttin.  

This was a cap saving move.

To others:  TT picture holding the Cup adorns my Bs wall along with the personalized message from Ray Bourque.  My years of having the Bs pennant on my walls as a teacher was recognized by many a former student in 2011.  TT made it happen along with the rest of the TEAM!

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:

So if TT does not play this year and is a UFA, how do the Bs get a draft pick?  If he plays again and is a UFA from the Islanders how do the Bs secure the pick and from whom?  Strange Brew!  I don't get it, must be the traveling today!  Fletch has it correct: salary dump!  Better than a buyout even if the Bs don't get a pick.  Yup, the third line is a wanting.  On a pure speculative point, what two players are bought out next year?  Badhab was right, TT was traded.  I was right, I think (see above), the Bs got nuttin!  I capitulate Badhobbit.

The Bruins will get Isles #2 pick unless he outright quits hockey (retires).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

"In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to BadHabitude's comment:"

Shupe, for Christ sake!!!

LOL!!!

@Fletch                     http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/07/bruins-trade-tim-thomas-to-islanders/?sct=hp_t2blog_a7

"Even if Thomas never plays for them, this was a huge win for the Islanders. Thomas' hit ensures they will avoid fines for being below the NHLs salary cap floor that were set to kick in on Friday. And they hit that floor without actually having to pay actual salary.

Thomas has been suspended all season and was not being paid by the Bruins. Assuming that he doesnt report, the Islanders will not have to pay him, either. It's a loophole exploitation that likely wont go over well with the NHL Players' Association, but one that is perfectly legal under the new CBA.

TSNsBob McKenzie is reporting that the Islanders will be able to toll Thomas' contract, essentially keeping him on the books until he decides to play or retire. That could allow them to flip the netminder for an asset down the road, but more importantly it leaves his cap hit there for the indefinite future"

It looks that way...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to BadHabitude's comment:"

Shupe, for Christ sake!!!

LOL!!!

@Fletch                     http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/07/bruins-trade-tim-thomas-to-islanders/?sct=hp_t2blog_a7

"Even if Thomas never plays for them, this was a huge win for the Islanders. Thomas' hit ensures they will avoid fines for being below the NHLs salary cap floor that were set to kick in on Friday. And they hit that floor without actually having to pay actual salary.

Thomas has been suspended all season and was not being paid by the Bruins. Assuming that he doesn’t report, the Islanders will not have to pay him, either. It's a loophole exploitation that likely won’t go over well with the NHL Players' Association, but one that’s perfectly legal under the new CBA.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie is reporting that the Islanders will be able to toll Thomas' contract, essentially keeping him on the books until he decides to play or retire. That could allow them to flip the netminder for an asset down the road, but more importantly it leaves his cap hit there for the indefinite future"

It looks that way...

Thanks.  That's what I thought (I think).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I've read multiple reports to the contrary, somebody clear this up.

nhlnumbers.com  50.489 (no Thomas)

thehockeygm.com  46.95  (no Thomas)

capgeek                53.04  (with Thomas)

Yeah, there seems to be confusion.  My understanding is that the floor is at 44 mil, and all teams were above that threshold when the season got underway.

Either way, a really good deal for the Isles. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

I *think* the Isles got a big boost to their cap numbers when Visnovsky ($5.6m) returned this week, as he was not on a 35+ deal like TT was. Capgeek has both TT and Visnovsky included in their numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Beautiful.  

We clear $5M; Isles make the cap floor.  

If he plays, we get a 2nd rounder who could be the next Lucic or the next Yuri Alexandrov, a 50/50 proposition.

Wins all around.  Even Thomas - who has his name on the Cup, a Vezina, a Conn Smythe, and the option to retire before 40 without worrying about hitting the soup kitchen with the money he's earned for himself and his family.  Should we all be so lucky....

I totally agree, except not everyone is a winner.  If I were an Isles fan this would outrage me (as somebody else already mentioned).  Their team just put 'fake' money against the cap to get to the floor.  They chose this route so they didn't have spend real cap money to improve their team and essentially circumvented the concept of the cap floor.  I can't imagine rooting for that team, or being in John Tavares' shoes right now.  They aren't trying to win.  Maybe Thomas comes back and is good, but until then I would never buy tickets to see a team that refuses to even spend the to the cap floor.  And they have the money.

Sucking for a while can net you high draft picks that you can tehn develop. I personally think free agents only make sense if they increase your chances of making the playoffs.  If your team is so far from teh playoffs that FA arent going to matter, there is somethign to be said for going into the tank for a couple years, trading everything of value for picks, stockpile high picks and stock your farm.

At leats this is what I would be telling myself if I was an Isles fan, haha.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/299646262066696192

You per usual did not read my post.  If TT decides to play as a UFA, the Bs get nuttin.  

This was a cap saving move.

To others:  TT picture holding the Cup adorns my Bs wall along with the personalized message from Ray Bourque.  My years of having the Bs pennant on my walls as a teacher was recognized by many a former student in 2011.  TT made it happen along with the rest of the TEAM!

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

So if TT does not play this year and is a UFA, how do the Bs get a draft pick?  If he plays again and is a UFA from the Islanders how do the Bs secure the pick and from whom?  Strange Brew!  I don't get it, must be the traveling today!  Fletch has it correct: salary dump!  Better than a buyout even if the Bs don't get a pick.  Yup, the third line is a wanting.  On a pure speculative point, what two players are bought out next year?  Badhab was right, TT was traded.  I was right, I think (see above), the Bs got nuttin!  I capitulate Badhobbit.

The Bruins will get Isles #2 pick unless he outright quits hockey (retires).

Isla, I think I read your post or maybe I just didn't read it that well, but I believe Mckenzie is wrong.  The exact terms and conditions haven't been released so everyone has to guess.

2 draft years are mentioned.  We have to fill in the blanks.

We get the 2014 pick if <fill in the blank>

We get the 2015 pick if <fill in the blank>

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Wow, was I wrong.  I never thought this would happen.  I think I went way out of my way to say it would never happen.  Obla di.

If I'm an Islanders fan, I put all of my stuff on eBay and buy Rangers gear.  Wang is a billionaire (I think) and they are using empty contracts to avoid haivng to spend the minimum?  Forget that.

A little simplistic.  I gives them the ability to be sellers at the deadline without having to take contracts back in order to stay compliant.  Yes, it isn't exactly "going for it" but this move is not just about being cheap.   Snow can go after draft picks and prospects now. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Sucking for a while can net you high draft picks that you can tehn develop. I personally think free agents only make sense if they increase your chances of making the playoffs.  If your team is so far from teh playoffs that FA arent going to matter, there is somethign to be said for going into the tank for a couple years, trading everything of value for picks, stockpile high picks and stock your farm.

[/QUOTE]

But the Isles have been 'getting draft picks' for 15 years and they stink every season.  With a conrnerstone player like Taveres and some good young talent on the roster, you might want them to at least spend to the cap floor this year.  Especially if you were an Isles fan/season ticket holder (can you imagine?).  I see this as Wang just finding a way to save more money, circumnavigate the cap floor, and allow his team to continue to stink until they move to NYC.  If I'm an Isles fan, I've lost hope. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

But the Isles have been 'getting draft picks' for 15 years and they stink every season.  With a conrnerstone player like Taveres and some good young talent on the roster, you might want them to at least spend to the cap floor this year.  Especially if you were an Isles fan/season ticket holder (can you imagine?).  I see this as Wang just finding a way to save more money, circumnavigate the cap floor, and allow his team to continue to stink until they move to NYC.  If I'm an Isles fan, I've lost hope. 

[/QUOTE]

This move now allows them to shed salary at or before the trade deadliine without getting penalized...That must be real exciting as an Islanders fan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Thomas is not expected to report to the Islanders this season. The club reportedly has no intent of “tolling” his contract forward to next season if Thomas doesn’t report. The move is to ensure they remain cap compliant should Lubomir Visnovsky have to return home to Slovakia, as his son is undergoing surgery this weekend.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

This move now allows them to shed salary at or before the trade deadliine without getting penalized...That must be real exciting as an Islanders fan.

[/QUOTE]

How does the marketing work?  

Come see some average veterans before they got dumped at the deadline for $$ savings, while our young stars get beat up on nightly basis by better teams!  Did we mention there's a former Stanley Cup MVP goalie living 2000 miles away?

P.S. Give us your money before we move to Brooklyn.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProudBruinsfan. Show ProudBruinsfan's posts

Well...I hope he will plays next season..so the Bruins get their 2014 2nd round pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to ProudBruinsfan's comment:

Well...I hope he will plays next season..so the Bruins get their 2014 2nd round pick

Oh look, it's another of Stanley's aliases showing up while Stanley is on "hiatus".