Tuukka contract coming ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Tuukka contract coming ?

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

NAS - every time I try to reply to your posts, I hit some glitch...

Yes!  I've been working on that for almost two years!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

NAS/Book,

Isn't being a great goalie defined on what you do in the playoffs.  I surely am not blaming him for 2010.  But if he lays an egg.  There are goalies who are great in reg season and stink in playoffs. 
    Again, I hope Rask gets signed on a deal thats good for the team and for him 5/5 is good for both. 
    My ony pt was that if someteam(say Calgary) offered him a contract that would net us 3  1st round picks I would let him walk in a minute.  Calgary is gonna stink and we likely have a top 5 pick for 3 yrs including our own. 
    Then go sign Mike Smith or someone similar.  There are 30 number one jobs around the league.  Vokoun played his hand and lost his shirt.  We have been lucky to have 2 outstanding goalies.  But this system also helps them out.  

Oh come on. Thomas stunk the playoffs out before 2011, then he nearly stunk his way to the golf course the first couple games v Montreal in 2011 before catching fire ... but Rask is still getting the playoff garbage?  Kid had clearly run out of gas at that point in his first season as the starter and should have been replaced by game 6 vs Philly anyway.  There's a whole lotta goalies with a mixed bag in their playoff histories.

But his series win over favored Buffalo and the 3 wins v Philly are ignored while his tag is "great in the reg season but stink in the playoffs?" I give up.

i wouldn't even say he ran out of gas, the team lost krejci and stunk. Their best options at center were savard who was a shell of himself and like, sobotka or something like that. the team was dinged up. 

and thomas is remembered for the final series in the 2011 run. He was phenomenal in that. He wasn't anything special in the Tampa series. In fact, I rewatched those games last week, he was barely okay. He earned his keep in games 3-7 in MTL, and the finals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS/Book,

Isn't being a great goalie defined on what you do in the playoffs.  I surely am not blaming him for 2010.  But if he lays an egg.  There are goalies who are great in reg season and stink in playoffs. 
    Again, I hope Rask gets signed on a deal thats good for the team and for him 5/5 is good for both. 
    My ony pt was that if someteam(say Calgary) offered him a contract that would net us 3  1st round picks I would let him walk in a minute.  Calgary is gonna stink and we likely have a top 5 pick for 3 yrs including our own. 
    Then go sign Mike Smith or someone similar.  There are 30 number one jobs around the league.  Vokoun played his hand and lost his shirt.  We have been lucky to have 2 outstanding goalies.  But this system also helps them out.  

Oh come on. Thomas stunk the playoffs out before 2011, then he nearly stunk his way to the golf course the first couple games v Montreal in 2011 before catching fire ... but Rask is still getting the playoff garbage?  Kid had clearly run out of gas at that point in his first season as the starter and should have been replaced by game 6 vs Philly anyway.  There's a whole lotta goalies with a mixed bag in their playoff histories.

But his series win over favored Buffalo and the 3 wins v Philly are ignored while his tag is "great in the reg season but stink in the playoffs?" I give up.

What is your point.  what part of not blaming him for 2010 didnt you understand.  Before giving up try reading.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

My only point about rask in re to some team offering him a Rfa contract is this 

Would you trade Rask for 3 1st round picks?  From calgary for example.  

I would in a heart beat.  i personally think an avg goalie could do very well in a system Like boston.  

finally, i do want rask signed but someone mentioned a team offering 6 million or similar as an rfa.  I would let him go if thats the case.  Id take the picks.  Personally i dont think there is a team out there that offers him anywhere near that.  Why you ask?   Bc of the cap, the fact he hasnt proven himself as a playoff goalie, the fact of 3 picks and finally bc most teams have a number one goalie.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

NAS/Book,

That's your opinion about previous yrs, but I agree about the first couple of games against the Habs.

Rask isn't getting the play-off garbage Soxfan. It's about whether or not he's capable of playing at an elite level in the play-offs. You even said it yourself. He ran out of gas in 2010. He only played in a total of 55 games that yr at 23 yrs of age. In 2011 TT played a total of 82 and he was 38. I think Rask is the real deal, just as I thought TT was the real deal. However, my concern is with the cap coming down next yr. There most likely will be a pressing need for a forward, or a dman at some point. Giving Rask too much & the B's snooker themselves. I think the guy deserves a 5 or 6 yr deal at 5-6 mill a season. I just wish they could both agree to hold off until the cap issue is resolved a bit. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

The Bruins didn't have a shot in 2010.  Too many injuries.  Savard out.  Krejci out. Sturm (their leading goal scorer) out.  They were counting on Satan to produce.  Satan couldn't find a job with any of the other 29 teams that year.  He was basically this year's Pandolfo.

Why do people keep pinning that loss on Rask?  Rask has had some success in the playoffs.  He wasn't supposed to win the first round vs the Sabres and he did.  It's like when the B's lost to the Habs in '08.  We don't blame TT for that loss, do we? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I would in a heart beat.  i personally think an avg goalie could do very well in a system Like boston. "

Manny Fernandez was above average how did that work out ?

The dream of Mike Smith continues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

The Bruins didn't have a shot in 2010.  Too many injuries.  Savard out.  Krejci out. Sturm (their leading goal scorer) out.  They were counting on Satan to produce.  Satan couldn't find a job with any of the other 29 teams that year.  He was basically this year's Pandolfo.

Why do people keep pinning that loss on Rask?  Rask has had some success in the playoffs.  He wasn't supposed to win the first round vs the Sabres and he did.  It's like when the B's lost to the Habs in '08.  We don't blame TT for that loss, do we? 

Agreed. It boggles the mind. That team was not going anywhere once the likes of Trent Whitfield were playing regular shifts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Random thoughts from the thread posts:

PC signed Rask to a one year contract to save on the cap this year.  Now Rask wants a longer term not one year. Simply put, it ain't goin to happen again.  

Without checking the stats, the best years of a goalie barring Roy or Brodeur are between the age of 25 and 30.  So why trade Rask at this point.  

Spending to the cap can pose problems at the trade deadline.  Yet most contending teams next year will be doing the same as the Bs if they were to do so.  Trades then would consist of need rather than $. It is not 2009 but 2014.

The playoffs are a key for Rask.  Locking up his contract long term is smart now.  If he plays poorly in the playoffs, the Bs management will probably need to rely on the growth of Hamilton as  a defenseman who head man the puck ala Bourque.  If Rask plays great, CUP, then he will be in the Bs fold for years.  Trading is not an option.  

Horton bashing is becoming a problem on BDC.  Lucic should be bashed, fat needs simply to shoot more, let Horton find the mistakes.  Sign Horton if he contract is 4 million thereabouts.  He does float but to blame team malaise on one player is ca ca.  

Peverly needs to go.  Ference is the next.  Thornton should play in Providence until needed.  Right now I am seeing a different Campbell.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"I would in a heart beat.  i personally think an avg goalie could do very well in a system Like boston. "

Pretty sure he didnt have the same team in front of him as rask.  Pretty sure you know that.  Well, its you so maybe not.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And before making this post did you happen to look at his stats.  16 wins in 28 games.   And you were saying.   Keep on with the solid gold hits.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Can anyone tell me what is the highest cap hit of a Stanley Cup winning goalie? Does it matter?  My question is do you build your team from the pipes out?  What is the position worth for the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup?  Can you pay over $5 for a goalie and ice a team under the cap that can win it all? PC gave Thomas 4 years $20 and was crucified by the majority of Bruins fans.  The cap at the time of the contract was $56.8 million.  Next year the cap is $64.3.  I think that 4 for 20 works in this situation as well.  If I am PC I don't pay a penny over $5 per. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Can anyone tell me what is the highest cap hit of a Stanley Cup winning goalie? Does it matter?  My question is do you build your team from the pipes out?  What is the position worth for the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup?  Can you pay over $5 for a goalie and ice a team under the cap that can win it all? PC gave Thomas 4 years $20 and was crucified by the majority of Bruins fans.  The cap at the time of the contract was $56.8 million.  Next year the cap is $64.3.  I think that 4 for 20 works in this situation as well.  If I am PC I don't pay a penny over $5 per. 

I concur.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

With the way the Bruins defense played with a 4 goal lead last night I would rather have Svedberg in net than Mike Smith. PC has no money to play with this off season unless there is a Bob Gainey or a Scott Howson to take Peverley off Boston's hands.

I'm not even sure PC would use Peverley's money for a backup goalie for that matter, he might be dumb enough to try n re-sign Horton instead of Jagr who knows.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

when healthy he was good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

also, letting rask go for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, would be incredibly stupid. match the offer and get way more than that on the trade market. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

With the way the Bruins defense played with a 4 goal lead last night I would rather have Svedberg in net than Mike Smith. PC has no money to play with this off season unless there is a Bob Gainey or a Scott Howson to take Peverley off Boston's hands.

I'm not even sure PC would use Peverley's money for a backup goalie for that matter, he might be dumb enough to try n re-sign Horton instead of Jagr who knows.

trade peverly to a team that needs to reach cap floor for a bag of flour.  If no one takes him then hes a buyout with ST

horton and af are walking.  

Hamilton, chara, seidz, boychuk, AM, Bart and then sign a vet dman for a tryout.  

Bring some young guys into the lineup and one top 6 fwd.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

also, letting rask go for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, would be incredibly stupid. match the offer and get way more than that on the trade market. 

Crazy.  Match it and trade him to who?   You think any team trades 3 first round picks or rask.   what do you think rasks value is?   And who needs a 6 million dollar goalie.  Maybe vancouver can take him for us.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Crazy.  Match it and trade him to who?   You think any team trades 3 first round picks or rask.   what do you think rasks value is?   And who needs a 6 million dollar goalie.  Maybe vancouver can take him for us.  

As a third stringer.......Surprised

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

As a third stringer.......Surprised

You are quick today.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Agreed. It boggles the mind. That team was not going anywhere once the likes of Trent Whitfield were playing regular shifts.

Yeah a Trent Whitfield team that had a 3-0 lead in game 7 (There was plenty of talent left).  A #1 goalie should be able to win 1 game by standing on their proverbial head.  I think over the years, we have seen goalies against the Bruins do exactly that!  Were the Bruins at full strength, absolutely not, was Tuukka the only reason they lost the series, absolutely not,  should he have "stolen" a game, he absolutely should have and it wouldn't have taken that much to do so in game 7.  Some of the goals he gave up in that game looked just like what we saw of Peters the other night.  I'm sorry if I hold a #1 goalie to higher standards than many of you do, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You are quick today.  

The funny thing is I have such little respect for Gillis and his abilities that I could almost see him doing this.....almost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah a Trent Whitfield team that had a 3-0 lead in game 7 (There was plenty of talent left).  A #1 goalie should be able to win 1 game by standing on their proverbial head.  I think over the years, we have seen goalies against the Bruins do exactly that!  Were the Bruins at full strength, absolutely not, was Tuukka the only reason they lost the series, absolutely not,  should he have "stolen" a game, he absolutely should have and it wouldn't have taken that much to do so in game 7.  Some of the goals he gave up in that game looked just like what we saw of Peters the other night.  I'm sorry if I hold a #1 goalie to higher standards than many of you do, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Fair enough....I would just ask that you look at this roster and tell me that this is a team that should go deep:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20092010&gameType=3&team=BOS&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=summary#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

That team had no business going as far as it even did and reality caught up to them once Krecji went down...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

He did.  That's why they were playing in the second round.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

He did.  That's why they were playing in the second round.

You call that standing on his head, I call it doing what he is supposed to do.  Here is a quote that concerns me and others regarding that Sabres series.

"It was clear after Boston's loss in Game 5 last Friday in Buffalo that Rask was beginning to tire. When the team returned home early Saturday morning, the players were given the day off. During practice on Sunday, Rask was on the ice, but was his participation was limited during drills."

Tuuka played 49 annd 57 regular season games the 2 years prior to 2009-2010 why was he so tired?  It's an excuse.  Marty played 59 games during the regular season at the age of 40 and than another 24 in the playoffs!  Yet at 22 he couldn't handle 45 regular season games?  There are RED flags, if you choose not to see them, that's your perogative.