Tuukka's Next Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Tuukka's Next Contract

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks would be a fair deal for Rask's services on his next contract. 3-4 years, 3-4 mil? Can he ask for more than Thomas's 5 mil? And would he get it, in Boston or somewhere else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Tuukka's Next Contract

I think you're bang on with his contract. I think he's worth more because I have no doubt in his abilities, but he's a RFA and many will say he's still unproven. I also think he wants to stay where he is playing behind a stacked team with the league's best defensive coaching, so while he could possibly get a little more elsewhere, I would expect him to sign and stay with the Bruins. Boston can easily give him 3.5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Using Lucic as a guide, I would expect Chiarelli to go for 4 -4.5 for three years. If his agent tries to use Philly as an example, I imagine Peter might explore a trade

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Tuukka is to important, short and long term, imho, and shouln't be traded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract:
    [QUOTE]Using Lucic as a guide, I would expect Chiarelli to go for 4 -4.5 for three years. If his agent tries to use Philly as an example, I imagine Peter might explore a trade
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

With the depth the B's have along with the chemistry. PC won't be exploring a trade at all with either goalie. Unless the scoring runs dry in the play-offs & Pete gets an offer for a markee player. I don't see either goalie going anywhere. Especially where both goalies are gettting their starts & rest & playing well in the process!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Stop it with the trade-a-goalie statements.....it will never happen. Those two are PC's babies, and he won't let them go. Only way he lets Thomas walk is retirement, and only way he lets Tuukka walks is if Tuukka asks for more that 5.5 mil per. He'll sign him for anything less than that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I think that 3.75 – 4.5 million (even upto 5), and 3 – 4 years would be a very good framework to start with. If Rask really does want to stay for the long term, that would be team and player friendly.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think Rask's contract may be a bit out of PC's hands, unless he can get him signed to an extension before the summer. If he makes it to the summer, he'll be prime pickings for an offer sheet. He's a better goalie than Bryz, and IMO at least as good as Price, if less proven. Some teams may be willing to put out a crazy offer sheet on him, tying PC's hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It's not broken so don't fix it. From what I've read he wants to play here. He has been giving more starts, or he has earned them, either way, you keep Thomas rested, Tuuka sharp and happy and I don't see Tuuka leaving. I think your numbers are correct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

See? Another reason for me to worry.

Hopefully Chiarelli can balance both goalies' salaries playing times in the coming years. At the beginning of last season, a few of us were clamoring for Thomas to be traded. Now this is just a vexing situation.

Regardless of what happens, I hope both Rask's and Thomas' next contracts are no longer than three years. Philly's deal with Bryz (to say nothing of the ludicrous Rick DiPietro deal) is foolish at seven years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]See? Another reason for me to worry. Hopefully Chiarelli can balance both goalies' salaries playing times in the coming years. At the beginning of last season, a few of us were clamoring for Thomas to be traded. Now this is just a vexing situation. Regardless of what happens, I hope both Rask's and Thomas' next contracts are no longer than three years. Philly's deal with Bryz (to say nothing of the ludicrous Rick DiPietro deal) is foolish at seven years.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

I dont think Thomas' next deal will be for more than 3 years, in fact I dont think it will even be 3, simply because I dont think he'll still be playing..I know goalies play longer these days, I just dont see him sticking around if he isnt at the top of his game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

He makes $1.25M this year, so I think 3 years, $10-11M would be a solid contract, considering he is not an UFA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

tuukka will soon have opulence and minature giraffe.  don't screw it up, chia.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Come to think of it, every dynasty team has been backed by a great goalie.  Keep these 2 guys we got and if you're going to trade anyone, let it be someone outside the crease.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I think that 3.75 – 4.5 million (even upto 5), and 3 – 4 years would be a very good framework to start with. If Rask really does want to stay for the long term, that would be team and player friendly.  
    Posted by wil39[/QUOTE]

There's NO WAY PC signs Rask for 5 mill. Unless he wins a Vezina then maybe. Right now unless TT changes his mind he'll retire a Bruin & PC will let him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract :  Right now unless TT changes his mind he'll retire a Bruin & PC will let him. Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

There is no guarantee in that none whatsoever. A team making a big offer to Rask could force PCs hand. You can't have $10M tied up in two goalies not in the cap age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Retro thinking is a guide here, Thomas was signed to allow Rask to eventually move into the number one goalie position.  Nothing including the Thomas performance in the Stanley Cup will deter PC from that thinking.  PC will undoubtedly sign Tuuka to a contract in the 4 to 5 million area.  I'd rather have Tuuka than a Boychuck contract.  Is it me or is Thomas looking a bit mortal lately?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Retro thinking is a guide here, Thomas was signed to allow Rask to eventually move into the number one goalie position.  Nothing including the Thomas performance in the Stanley Cup will deter PC from that thinking.  PC will undoubtedly sign Tuuka to a contract in the 4 to 5 million area.  I'd rather have Tuuka than a Boychuck contract.  Is it me or is Thomas looking a bit mortal lately?  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Yep he is, but he went thru this last year too. Then what happened as the play-offs got deeper? He got better & was getting even stronger as the finals were continuing. He said he was exhausted at the end, but he looked like he was ready for another 7 games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract : There is no guarantee in that none whatsoever. A team making a big offer to Rask could force PCs hand. You can't have $10M tied up in two goalies not in the cap age.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

When you're as deep as the B's yes you can. PC should get Rask done now though, because if I was a GM I'd force PC's hand. I'd make Rask an offer & force PC to match, or make it so that they don't have the riches in goal any longer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the risk of a mega-offer to Rask is minimal at best - it would require a GM to fly in the face of conventional wisdom at the moment, and I'm not sure there's a GM willing to take a calculated risk that Rask wil be just as good behind a rebuilding team (one options) or another contender that thinks they're the right goaltender away (and so probably will have to lose some of those pieces to make him an mega-offer).  I think PC will make it known he'll match, too, so only someone looking to handcuff PC would try it.  Pure guesswork, but I think PC looks to keep the real dollars for goalies the same next year (with some wiggle for inflation) - $6.5M.  Thomas takes home $3M next year, so do to the math. 

It's a copycat world, so I'm guessing you're more likely to see a guy like Brian Elliott move in a trade than teams try to grab Rask or even Schneider.  The compensation will be lower even with his new $1.6M contract.

As for TT's recent play - he hasn't played much.  I firmly believe he plays better the more he plays, but eventually he gets tired and that turns around.  They gave him lots of rest down the stretch last year and he was shaky against the Shabs.  He was a bit shaky to start against TBay too because there was a layoff after the sweep.  Now's the time to let him get some additional rest, recuperate a bit, even if it means he isn't quite as sharp.  Then you gradually build back up for the playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuukka's Next Contract : When you're as deep as the B's yes you can. PC should get Rask done now though, because if I was a GM I'd force PC's hand. I'd make Rask an offer & force PC to match, or make it so that they don't have the riches in goal any longer. Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Very true.