Vanek traded to Islanders for Moulson and draft picks.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Vanek traded to Islanders for Moulson and draft picks.

@BuffaloSabres 

"TRADE ALERT: #Sabres acquire Matt Moulson (@MMoulson), 2014 1st-round pick + 2015 2nd-round pick from the @NYIslanders for Thomas Vanek."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Vanek traded to Islanders for Moulson and draft picks.

Didn't see that coming so soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Wow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435220

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

TSNBobMcKenzie

"Bartlett on Vanek, who is UFA July 1:"We'll take it day by day and focus on the short term for now and see where we are at season's end."

Vanek's agent Stephen Bartlett said his client is "excited to be an Islander," but no contract extension is part of the trade.

NYI say they do not have a contract extension in place with Thomas Vanek. He's UFA at the end of the season."

Snow with a gamble but he just helped his team right now. Reiger helped his future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Too much for vanek.  Moulson is a good scorer and has a good contract.  Toss a couple picks.  Islanders better hope vanek plays his heart out.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Old news.  I called it last week.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think they could have done better at the trade deadline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too much for vanek.  Moulson is a good scorer and has a good contract.  Toss a couple picks.  Islanders better hope vanek plays his heart out.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree shupe Buffalo made out like thieves on this one IMO.  Is Miller next?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] Too much for vanek.  Moulson is a good scorer and has a good contract.  Toss a couple picks.  Islanders better hope vanek plays his heart out.  [/QUOTE]

And stays healthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Better?  Huh?   Moulson is a steady scorer, they also netted a first rounder and 2 nd rounder.  I think thats a great haul for a ufa.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Huh, Vanek and Mouslon seem pretty similar... though Moulson has had the advantage of playing with Tavares. Kinda surprising move.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Buffalo has the cap relief to sign Moulson now as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Both players are UFAs at the end of the season so when both players don't resign Buffalo will still have a 1st and 2nd round pick.  Looks like a win for Buffalo.  Snow is awful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Garth Snow is out of his freakin mind.

Buffalo won this trade hands down imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Better?  Huh?   Moulson is a steady scorer, they also netted a first rounder and 2 nd rounder.  I think thats a great haul for a ufa.  

[/QUOTE]

Moulson is also set to be UFA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And zero chance vanek stays with nyi.   Well not zero but he is 50/50 at best.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moulson is also set to be UFA.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but the two picks were pretty darn solid.  I didnt look at caps but im assuming they had to shed a little.   I wouldnt bet moulson goes back to buffalo either.  Is their a worst franchise out there?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And zero chance vanek stays with nyi.   Well not zero but he is 50/50 at best.  [/QUOTE]

I know Charles Wang is frothing at the mouth with all the suites he will get in Brooklyn but I don't he is ready to spend the money that Vanek will want and get. I don't think NYI will only spend on extensions for their prospects they've drafted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Word is Vanek is going to Minnesota next year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I always wonder what goes through a player's mind when they get traded from a better team to a weaker one.  Is Moulson thinking "Oh, that's just great!  Buffalo?! Are you kidding me?!" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Especially after being part of turning the Isles into a playoff team, finally.  Question will be whether Moulson's for real, or a product of playing with Tavares.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Vanek is a terrific scorer, but to give up a player like Moulson along with a first and second, for a guy who may not even sign, is mind boggling.

Clocks ticking on Miller.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

NYI see a window this season to win back some fans in the NY area.  Devils are floundering and the NYR are a mess.   

Secondly, they will be moving to Brooklyn which will energize the the rivalry with the Rangers.  I say they will find a way to free up the space if Vanek has a good season with them.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe, I'm not sure I agree that Vanek is a high-risk rental.  For one thing, Wang has a history of dropping scads of cash on box office draws, and this looks to me like a move designed to drive ticket sales in Brooklyn.  I won't be surprised if they have Vanek locked up by the Olympic break. 

For another, there aren't many situations in the league where you get to play with a guy with John Tavares's talent.  Vanek hasn't played with a C with that kind of juice in...ever.  He played with Danny Briere in Buffalo, for what that's worth, but wasn't he always on Roy's line?  Two 40 goal campaigns with Roy must make you wonder what he could do with Tavares as both a set up man and a competing finisher so the D can't sit on the pass.

I guess where I think the pressure lies in convincing him the Isles aren't the same old Isles.  If he sees them as a team that could start winning regularly and a lot, and he gets a fair market offer from them (as good or better than he'd get from a desperate, bad team with a lot of cash), he probably does re-sign.  Not many teams with as favourable a Cap situation as the Isles, and the only one playing good hockey right now is the Avs.  And...Yashin comes off their books after next year.  That seems as monumental as the zone of exclusion around Chernobyl coming down. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

They might have said this on the NHL channel - or something they said made me think of this.

Can they turn around and deal Moulson at the trade deadline?