Vezina Trophy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Vezina Trophy

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

well, turco was taken out of retirement. not fair. fernandez, when healthy, was very good. and even guys like alex auld were okay. i certainly don't think the goalies are made by the system, but it does help their save percentage numbers. in the cup season, the bruins allowed the second most shots in the NHL, yet, they allowed 189, second fewest only to vancouver (180). Thomas had a lot to do with that, but it's a trend in CJs system. a lot of outside shots, from non traditional scoring angles are taken because it's pretty hard to get in the slot with the puck. It doesn't make the goalie, but it certainly helps the save percentage stat. 

Not disagreeing with you to a point. A good D can limit quality scoring chances for sure.

However, at the end of the day the goalie still needs to make the save. Some are simply better at this than others, regardless of the system in front of them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is for Dez, and I am so happy to say this...Tuuka stood on his head and then some in my opinion two of the greatest goalie performances I've seen out him in all his B's years...2 games in Toronto...it reminded me of Thomas in Philly...and if he plays like this the rest of the playoffs, B's will win this thing...Tuuka stepped into a new level, he made so many great saves throughout the 2 games....Just phenomenal performance by the Tooks....and one last thing, IF I EVER SEE ANOTHER TRADE KRECJI POST BY ANY OTHER MORON FAN, I WILL DROP HIM WITH A STAN JONATHAN PUNCH....THE GUY IS MR. PLAYOFFS...WHO CARES WHAT HE DOES IN THE REG. SEASON...HE TURNS IT UP IN POSTSEASON...GO B'S!!!!!! yEEEEEE-HAHHH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

This is for Dez, and I am so happy to say this...Tuuka stood on his head and then some in my opinion two of the greatest goalie performances I've seen out him in all his B's years...2 games in Toronto...it reminded me of Thomas in Philly...and if he plays like this the rest of the playoffs, B's will win this thing...Tuuka stepped into a new level, he made so many great saves throughout the 2 games....Just phenomenal performance by the Tooks....and one last thing, IF I EVER SEE ANOTHER TRADE KRECJI POST BY ANY OTHER MORON FAN, I WILL DROP HIM WITH A STAN JONATHAN PUNCH....THE GUY IS MR. PLAYOFFS...WHO CARES WHAT HE DOES IN THE REG. SEASON...HE TURNS IT UP IN POSTSEASON...GO B'S!!!!!! yEEEEEE-HAHHH.

The series isn't over yet but it's clear that Rask has been a difference maker so far. I agree with all you said Danny but I'm afraid there are still going to be many others who won't beleive Rask can win a Cup until he actually does it. I think he can. Regarding Krejci, I don't care how many games he floated through during the regular season, he's again proving himself to be a big game player. Look out people. Boston's depth is showing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

he's half right. goalies numbers will look better playing for Julien

Except when they don't. Turco and Fernandez did not all of the sudden become Vezina worthy once behind the "vaunted" Bruins D.

Skill is also required.

Oh c'mon, be fair. No skill?  Turco was a washed up retiree but Fernandez had his name on a Jennings trophy before he came to Boston. And if you look back and be honest, Fernandez was brought here and paid a lot of money to take the starter's job because Chiarelli didnt believe in Thomas yet (deservedly so, TT hadnt proven anything yet.) And Fernandez' numbers were just as good as Thomas' when he was hurt at mid season.

I think goalies have a little advantage statistically playing in Boston, but on the other hand I think they often play in a lot of low scoring games under pressure because they are in a defense-first system, often with goal scoring as an afterthought, and having to protect 1 goal leads.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

In response to jmwalters' comment:

he's half right. goalies numbers will look better playing for Julien

Except when they don't. Turco and Fernandez did not all of the sudden become Vezina worthy once behind the "vaunted" Bruins D.

Skill is also required.

Oh c'mon, be fair. No skill?  Turco was a washed up retiree but Fernandez had his name on a Jennings trophy before he came to Boston. And if you look back and be honest, Fernandez was brought here and paid a lot of money to take the starter's job because Chiarelli didnt believe in Thomas yet (deservedly so, TT hadnt proven anything yet.) And Fernandez' numbers were just as good as Thomas' when he was hurt at mid season.

I think goalies have a little advantage statistically playing in Boston, but on the other hand I think they often play in a lot of low scoring games under pressure because they are in a defense-first system, often with goal scoring as an afterthought, and having to protect 1 goal leads.

Hey, freakshow...nice to have you back.  Don't know who took over your account for a while, but seriously - welcome back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

Tuukka's got robbed, again. He was better than Miller in 2010 and he was better than Niemi and Lundqvist this season. And, btw, he did not lose the 2010 series against the Flyers all by himself - the entire Bruins team (and coaching staff) did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

That's okay im sure he would settle for Conn Smythe,come on Tuukka show them.

Yes.  Was thinking the same thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I believe we are on the same page in this regard.

A good D helps but ultimately it is the goaltender that makes the save.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

No matter how good the system or how well the defense plays, over a long season (maybe not so much this year) there will be plenty of breakdowns, power-plays against, amazing plays against, etc.  A great system can help a goaltender maintain a certain level of stats, but I tend to think that a GAA of 2.00 and a SV% of 92.9% are better than that level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

A half season is always a bad gauge on the true worth of both teams and individual players.

With a full 82 games there is no guarantee Bob would have continued to put up the numbers he did.

We will find out next season....

If this had been an 82 game season, Toronto would not have made the playoffs.