Was Kaberle worth the trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymusic. Show hockeymusic's posts

Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?

In Response to Was Kaberle worth the trade?:
    [QUOTE]I know what most of you will say, "Hey, we won the cup so he was obviously worth it."  I remember when the trade went threw though thinking that we better find a way to re-sign this guy because were giving up way to much for a guy were essentially renting for the playoffs.  A first round pick and colbourne one of our more talented young prospects.  To get a guy that really didnt turn out as great as most people thought he would be.  I thought that maybe if were could resign him and get him through a full camp with the team that maybe he would have a better season but he never got the opportunity. So looking back would give up all we did to get Tomas Kaberle for essentially just a playoff run.  I guess it comes down to wether you think we win the cup without Kaberle or not.
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]

In retrospect, it certainly didn't work out as hoped for; but at the time, something had to be done about the PP, and it looked like this was the best option.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Bruins needed a defenseman, so they would've had to go out and get SOMEBODY. Since that was the case, why not go after the guy you saw as the best available player? Anyone else remember who was available and what it would have likely cost?

Plus, I think Kaberle would've had a much better season next year, especially as it rolled on, if he started training camp with the team. He admitted to taking too long to get Julien's system assignments, which he would have eventually become used to. Stuff like that is hard to predict.

Worth it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

We won the Cup with him, but we probably would have won the Cup without him, so I'd say it wasn't worth the trade for him. Glad he signed in Carolina and hope he's happy there, being like Phil Kessel in a low pressure environment MISSING THE PLAYOFFS EVERY YEAR.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

You pretty well have to say yes, as it has being pointed out, we won the cup. (i still love writing & saying it).

My question is, which is only speculation is, would the Bruins have won the cup without Kaberle ?  Would the strength of the Bruins, allow them to play without a Kabele type player, ie : Hindy ?

Kaberle did improve as he went along and fell into the Bruins system and finally getting to know his team mates.

Like someone mentioned, if one of the draft picks turns out to be a star, or Joe Colburne finds some skating speed, then the debate will always be there, just like the Cup victory will always be there to go along with the debate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Here's a completely theoretical exercise for you: say that between October of 1978 and the playoffs of '78-'79, the Bruins dealt the draft pick they received for Ron Grahame to the Colorado Rockies for young, high scoring defenseman Barry Beck.  Beck makes the difference between winning and losing the too many men game (work with me on this) and the Bruins go on to win their third Cup in a decade.  A little over a year later, Beck is told to go yodel because he wants more money (simulating free agency here).

Ray Bourque has a terrific career with the Rockies/Devils.  Wins Cups with one of the best defenses of all time (Bourque, Stevens, Niedermeyer).

Happy or sad?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?:
    [QUOTE]Was the trade worth it?  Absolutely.  You judge the trade by what was known at the time.  At the time, the Bruins were in contention, had a large quantity of solid prospects and draft picks, and had, as there biggest weakness, the lack of a passing D.  Their weakness had been exposed against teams like Detroit.  The Bruins traded surplus assets to get the best passing D available.  Good trade, no question.  In hind-sight, the trade worked out exactly as hoped, the Bruins went all the way.  The 1st rounder ended up as the 30th pick and Joe Colborne probably wouldn't be making the team this coming year anyway.  Boston went to 7 games 3 times, they needed every edge they could get.  Kaberle didn't blow people away but he was a 'plus' player, put up .44 points per game in limited minutes and made the 3rd pairing among the best.  He made some nice passes that few players could make that probably changed the outcome of games.  Significant price, but excellent results.  The right trade at the right time.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I was going to reply but OC hit on all the key points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Joe Colborne's AHL stats did improve quite a bit once he was traded and played for another AHL coach (yeah I know stats ain't everything). But I wonder if PC noticed that, and that was part of the reason that he got a new coach for Providence.

And if this new Providence coach does a better job developing Bruins prospects, then that's anoher plus from the trade, in addition to what others are saying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

No doubt we wanted (most of us, me included) the deal to be done back in February ...

BUT

... Surprizingly Kaberle had no impact

... Kaberle is now gone

... We don't know yet about Colborne but he could have been a precious asset in PC's hand

5 months after the deal was made, and 5 weeks after we won the Cup, for the previous 3 reasons I mentioned, I say it wasn't a good trade... but I don't blame PC for that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I don't think you can say he had no impact.  He did not have the impact many of us hoped for or exepected.  As part of a 3rd defensive pair however he was good quality.  His skating ability along with his ability to make that first pact had at least some inpact in the play-offs.  On-going you would not pay the salary he wanted and received for him to be a 4th - 6th defenseman but when your 3rd defense pair has Kaberle on it, you are in pretty good shape.  In the play-offs that helped put the Bruins over the top.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

How many penatly minutes did Kaberle have during the post season? Thinking very little if none. This gives the opportunity to have Chara, Sieds, Ference, My Boychuck or even Quader to play more  physical. Knowing that Kabs wouldn't take a penalty, he could be the second D-man on the PK.

All about balance. We Won the Cup! Worth it and more

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Was Kaberle worth the trade?:[QUOTE]  Beck makes the difference between winning and losing the too many men game (work with me on this) and the Bruins go on to win their third Cup in a decade.  A little over a year later, Beck is told to go yodel because he wants more money (simulating free agency here). Ray Bourque has a terrific career with the Rockies/Devils.  Wins Cups with one of the best defenses of all time (Bourque, Stevens, Niedermeyer). Happy or sad? Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

K trying to wrap my moosh around Cashman to Beck hmmm (smoke coming out of ears)....happy at that time for sure.

Then Park (knees) gone, Thelvin (knees) gone, Kluzak (knees), Wesley (misses net) gone...many years till Mclaren (takes Zedniks head off) gone then Boynton (does nothing for many years) gone. Ok that's scary to relive again!

I would go with option one beating Montreal at the ol Forum in the 70s to good to pass up!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

the 30th, the 60th, and colborne (yes, there is no u in his name)....i like colborne, but the answer to this question is either "who cares" or "whatever"