What if Eriksson is out for significant time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

What if Eriksson is out for significant time?

Hopefully not the case, but what if he's out for an extended period of time. Shuffle the lines and hope Jordan Caron can contribute? How long do you give it before they try to explore outside?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: What if Eriksson is out for significant time?

With the division being such a have/have not and having two extra spots from the rest of the conference, I think it would take quite a lot for the B's to miss the playoffs.  Therefore, I think they would rotate every single guy worth a lick from Providence in to find a fit before they made a move. 

Move Soderberg up, and plug in Sweet H on third line right wing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

They should definitely give Spooner some NHL reps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I would be surprised if he was out for a long time, he got off the ice under his own power and didn't appear to lose consciousness.  I understand concussions are unpredictable and it could be more serious than it looked, I heard Ted Green never lost consciousness even tho he was nearly killed.  Certainly we've all seen players that appeared to be much more serious, but this one didn't look like he'll be out until August.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The whole point of camp and the thirteenth forward is that he's the guy who plays when there's a need.  So unless Caron plays like Zach Hamill, he'll see the most ice for the foreseeable future.  How they manage it will be another question.  Marchand is almost as key as Caron in this.  If Marchand returns to form with Bergeron and Smith, then Caron will bounce between the 3rd and 4th lines depending on how well he plays and how well the team is playing.  If he struggles, they'll move Paille up.  If Marchand struggles and Caron is merely average?  Then it's probably time to call up someone from the minors to goose those two.

A trade is almost unthinkable.  They just can't afford it without making a series of moves to create the space under the cap to carry more salary.  With Savard on LTIR already, there's no room to stash an injured Eriksson and use the salary dollars for another player.  Things would have to be very, very bad in terms of on ice performance for that to happen.

And as always, if the team continues to be defensively dominant (Sharks were averaging 4.33 goals/game going into last night; still first in the league at 4.00 after Tuukka), and wins games, they won't panic about a dip in offense if Eriksson's out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Caron will be chosen undoubtedly. I have not watched enough to say why I do not like his play, just that he seems to be several steps behind.  

Yeti should be moved up.  

Kelly on wing and Spooner at center would be fine as well.  Caron can take Thornton's spot.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Skill for skill, I say. John Scott diminished the Bruins for the remainder of that game, he took out a top 6 guy.

If the Bruins remain so - down a top 6 guy for a protracted period - John Scott sorta wins.

Eriksson's skill-set, what he does/brings will not be replaced by Jordan Caron's skill-set.

Eriksson should be replaced by Spooner. (even if Spooner slots in on the 3rd Line)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Marchand filled in as well as anyone last night, as did Caron, in that both came back deep to help with the swarming speed of the Sharks. They both know Claude's system and have the speed to be useful. The best alternative at the moment could be Fraser for his size and goal front presence.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think it's a big deal.  Marchand should be on the 2nd line anyway, he was the team's leading scorer last year.  I'm glad he's back where he belongs.  With how Smith is playing, Marchand-Bergeron-Smith looks as good to me as any combination with Eriksson in it.  The third line is a litttle weaker without one of the 2nd line guys on it, but Caron seems good and Soderberg's skill is above your typical 3rd liner.  With Fraser, Spooner and Sweet Hands all available in Providence, I don't see them making a move.  I know I wouldn't, at least not until the trade deadline.  Too much depth here, it's actually kind of good to have an injury and get some other guys some more ice time.  Test the depth to find out if you do need to make that deadline deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know if I'd go as far as "good" to have an injury, but I know what you mean.  The depth means Eriksson doesn't have to be rushed back to the ice.  No temptation there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Smith-Bergeron-Marchand isn't a big step down; Eriksson wasn't exactly lighting it up (I'd expect him to as the season goes on).

Soderberg-Kelly-Caron will still make a very solid third line.

I'm not too concerned for the short term, but it is hockey, and other injuries will happen. I'd be worried if others start falling, but for now, I think they're fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Sad to say butit could be a good thing for the Bruins, last season it took 3 months into the season before they gave a real chance to Krug...I kept saying days after days that Krug would improve our PP ..look what happened...Krug is now one of the top NHL Defenseman....

Now that Erickson is out they will probably give a real chance to the NHL  fastest player in the pre season games....and find out that he belongs no were else than to the NHL.....and guess what after a few weeks or whenever Erickson gets back tehy will never be able to send Spooner back to Providence......so the BRUINS will be even better thank to this injury ( sad to say but its the only way they will understand how good Spooner is) .......

Get well Loui ! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Stanley, my guess is that if you don't hear about them bringing Spooner up in the next 24 hours, then they won't be bringing him up at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

"And you can take that to the bank!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Krug improved the Bruins PP."

The statistics prove that's a lie.

Last year, the Bruins were 14.8% on the PP.  They were 17.5% in the playoffs, but this year, they're actually down to 12.9%.

Worse, not better.  Other than one stretch where Henrik Lunqvist developed a strange blindspot.  He looks great out there, and generates chances, but it hasn't translated to much success yet.

And still...7-2-0 with the 24th best PP.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Krug improved the Bruins PP."

The statistics prove that's a lie.

Last year, the Bruins were 14.8% on the PP.  They were 17.5% in the playoffs, but this year, they're actually down to 12.9%.

Worse, not better.  Other than one stretch where Henrik Lunqvist developed a strange blindspot.  He looks great out there, and generates chances, but it hasn't translated to much success yet.

And still...7-2-0 with the 24th best PP.

[/QUOTE]

Small sample size, but just by the eye test and not going by stats, the power play is much improved. I think the results will come in the next few months; just one or two of the very good chances go in and you're looking at an above average power play at this point in the season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

I thought Caron played a pretty spirited game last night. He was definitely playing physical and doing a good job of getting back defensively. Unfortunately that 3rd line seemed a bit out of sync. Probably due to these three not  having been together much and the fact that Caron is having to adjust to playing his off wing. If Loui is going to need some time, I'm hoping they can form some chemistry. Marchand looked sharper last night, so I'll refrain from any Soderberg to the 2nd line suggestions. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Great depth in all zones.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

A better question could be; "where does Eriksson fit in on this Bruins team ?" Kreji/Lucic/Iginla [ no change needed; Bergeron/Smith/Marchand[ solid second line, just jelling. What advantage to any change if Marchand and Bergie regain their chemistry ?]; Kelly/Soderberg/Caron[ all playing hard and all bigger bodies. Eriksson may have more speed and defensive experience]; Campbell/Paille/Thornton [Erikson could fill any one of these spots]. These players, along with the young D-men, present Claude with a serious challenge to his past structure. Certainly the more mobile PP is better than the old umbrella; certainly the speedier players recover their defensive posts better. Claude needs to adapt, with the most obvious the 4th line playing more than filling in, if he replaces Thornton with more skill, and sits Boychuck against the faster teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I missed a fair portion of thee San Jose game so maybe it was just about timing but, in the portion I watched Caron was terrible.  I don't believed that is a bias against a player who I am predisposed to dislike, because I loved his play earlier in the season.  I didn't think he had any jump in that game at all.  I am hoping for much better from him tonight and from the rest of the team as well.

I hope Eriksson is back soon, because I really look forward to finding out what he is about.  I have read great things, but haven't seen them yet.  I believe it will happen and I look forward to seeing him work with Bergie once he gets the kinks out.  Maybe a couple nights watching from the box will help him better understand how to work with this system?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

When Soderberg and Ericksson were healthy, and briefly in the line-up together, it gave the Bruins three effective - dangerous lines, a balanced scoring attack.

If Eriksson hadn't been hurt - Caron would still be in the Press Box. Caron has been a decent stop-gap; an adequate, skate up and down, don't-make-any-mistakes stop-gap.

But if Eriksson's injury persists, becomes protracted, I think the Bruins have to think towards restoring three effective, scoring lines. Otherwise they are down a quart, and John Scott has truly weakened the Bruins - he has made the Bruins replace Loui Eriksson with a fourth-liner.

Ryan Spooner, based on his offensive capabilities and skill-set would be the better, more logical replacement here. Though a rookie, he is the better choice for attempting to replace what Loui Eriksson brings.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bad time for Caron to be the ol Caron, he has disappeared a bit. Bring Spooner up and give him a whirl, Providence doesn't ever play games mid-week anyway.

Ideally I'd like to see Caron slide down to the 4th line if Chiarelli were to call up a prospect. But Thornton sitting will not happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Caron won the spot in camp.  No one in Providence is making a very convincing case for him to lose that job.  P-Bruins haven't found their groove despite the high hopes we all had for the elevated talent level.

SweetH is a point/game player with 5 goals after Friday's 2 goal game.  Spooner's at 5 points and a -3.  Fraser 4 points, 3 goals, and a -4.  Camper and Khokhlachev are goal-less through 7 games.  Cunningham has 2 goals for his only points.  Knight started strong but is stuck at 2-1-3.

If we're getting on Caron for not producing in the NHL because of two invisible games since coming back into the lineup, we should be as guarded about what the prospects will do if they aren't playing their best hockey in the AHL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A better question could be; "where does Eriksson fit in on this Bruins team ?" Kreji/Lucic/Iginla [ no change needed; Bergeron/Smith/Marchand[ solid second line, just jelling. What advantage to any change if Marchand and Bergie regain their chemistry ?]; Kelly/Soderberg/Caron[ all playing hard and all bigger bodies. Eriksson may have more speed and defensive experience]; Campbell/Paille/Thornton [Erikson could fill any one of these spots]. These players, along with the young D-men, present Claude with a serious challenge to his past structure. Certainly the more mobile PP is better than the old umbrella; certainly the speedier players recover their defensive posts better. Claude needs to adapt, with the most obvious the 4th line playing more than filling in, if he replaces Thornton with more skill, and sits Boychuck against the faster teams.

[/QUOTE]

bogie you should learn how to copy and paste, it would save you a lot of typing.

I'll show you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jordan may have won the a spot in some eyes but he did not out perform Ryan in camp, not even close. And Caron can lose his spot, it happens and has happened. Put Spooner around some NHL talent to see if he can perform (was a standout in camp and in exhibition games) until Chiarelli makes up his mind about bringing in someone else in while he hears how bad Erikssons concussion is.

AHL numbers ? If you based Caron's numbers on his AHL performance he would be in the ECHL. Putting up Bruins pospect AHL numbers and presenting them to Chiarell and Julien is useless anyways.