What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/add-boston-bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-to-talk-about-options-for-tampa-bay/1227556

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

I think you could get more, but it's a start.  I think a roster player needs to come over too.  What the next option for Tampa, Luongo?  And if Varlamov can get a 1st and a 2nd...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That'd be tricky as his NTC is still in place until July 1. PC would have to ask for him to waive it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think a weak draft year.  

And a 10th overall is a gamble.

There was some team with an 8th overall pick who turned out to be nothing

I say if you swap TT now, do it for a known quantity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

That's pretty good value for a 38 year-old goalie who can become a UFA following season's end.  It's interesting that TT's NMC expires on July 1st, following the draft.  It will interesting to see what PC ends up doing the goalie situation, but I am sure his phone will be ringing off the hook.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?:
    [QUOTE]That'd be tricky as his NTC is still in place until July 1. PC would have to ask for him to waive it.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, I can't imagine that TT would be a stickler over the 1 week difference if it's a destination he'd be comfortable with. You're correct though in that TT would have to OK it. I only brought this up because I see such varied expectations from the fans regarding what TT would fetch in a trade. I was interested to see what other team's fans felt he was worth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Ya I change my vote after being reminded that Varlamov fetched a 1st and 2nd.

I think a couple 1sts. Or a 1st and a good roster player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Ya I change my vote after being reminded that Varlamov fetched a 1st and 2nd. I think a couple 1sts. Or a 1st and a good roster player.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget that they expect Varlamov to still be playing in Denver a decade from now.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Playing or playing well?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Playing or playing well?
    I only mean that no one is trading for TT expecting him to play a lot longer. Varlamov is still expected to play at a high level for another decade at least. He's got 14 years on TT.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

True, but when the trade was made Varlamov was considered unproven right? I think that getting someone that they know will do well for a few years is as good if not better than an unproven young guy? IDK if it's me it's a question of who would you rather have around? A veteran who can help mentor a young goalie or toss a young kid the reigns and hope he floats?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]True, but when the trade was made Varlamov was considered unproven right? I think that getting someone that they know will do well for a few years is as good if not better than an unproven young guy? IDK if it's me it's a question of who would you rather have around? A veteran who can help mentor a young goalie or toss a young kid the reigns and hope he floats?
    Lam, the Avalanche felt he'd proved enough in their eyes to get them to give up the picks. It's like us wondering if TT or Rask would fetch more on the market. I think Rask would, simply because of his age.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I honestly think that would be a great deal for a 38 year old goalie. Tampa needs to win now if they are going to keep Stamkos, and a goalie like TT could help them out big time.

I'm against the trading of Thomas, though. Ride the Tuukka/Thomas train as long as possible, play the best one, and if ones injured the other takes over the workload.

I'm not convinced enough by Khubodin's one meaning less start and minor league stats... not to say that he won't be good but it's impossible to judge a goalie until they've had real NHL experience.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I know one thing, if TT was traded to Tampa and the B's met them in the Playoffs,now that would be something watching the Bruins forwards crowding the crease.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Great topic Dez, but to think he's in the same conference? Isn't that just asking for mud your face? Im not one to live in the past, but it just seems that history has a tendacy of repeating itself. Especially goalies that get traded out of Boston. Raycroft excluded, but there's 3 others that came back to haunt the B's & with TT being the way he is. IF the scenerio were to happen that TT was in goal against them. What TT do you think would show up?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : Don't forget that they expect Varlamov to still be playing in Denver a decade from now.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that.  Right after giving up those picks, they turned and signed Varlamov to a three year deal.  That's it.  A very good 1st and 2nd round pick for a goalie that is signed for two more years...

...dumb

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think it's too steep of a price, but if Tampa had any goaltending this year, who knows what they would have done. I'm sure Tampa looks at their roster, sees and aging St. Louis and Lecavalier, 60 goals from Stamkos pretty much going to waste and views Thomas as the missing link. I guess it could happen, if your the Bruins you have to consider it at least.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I still think that if Thomas goes anywhere, it would be Chicago.

Could get a decent prospect for him... Jeremy Morin, Jimmy Hayes, Kyle Beach, Andrew Shaw etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's too steep of a price, but if Tampa had any goaltending this year, who knows what they would have done. I'm sure Tampa looks at their roster, sees and aging St. Louis and Lecavalier, 60 goals from Stamkos pretty much going to waste and views Thomas as the missing link. I guess it could happen, if your the Bruins you have to consider it at least.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

That's just it, I think Tampa needs to strike fast.  Like in the next few years.  I know that Stamkos, Purcell, Hedman, and Connelly will be around for a while, but Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone, and Brewer won't. 

I think getting a Vezina contending goalie who has proven himself in the playoffs (recently) would be worth more, even for just 3 years, than a draft pick that may or may not ever do anything.

I think the Bruins could request a Varlamov-like return.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I would prefer they didn't trade Thomas but if somebody bowls them over with an offer, well anyone is expendable for the right price.

Tim Thomas in a contract year could mean one motivated, dedicated, fired up goalie and a 3rd Vezina and maybe another cup?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]I would prefer they didn't trade Thomas but if somebody bowls them over with an offer, well anyone is expendable for the right price. Tim Thomas in a contract year could mean one motivated, dedicated, fired up goalie and a 3rd Vezina and maybe another cup?
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Plus, if Tuukka were to get injured like the was this year they'd be stuck with Khubodin, who is currently a questionmark as an NHLer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the value is okay, but I would be unhappy with a draft pick.  This team isn't anywhere near rebuilding.  If they're going to move a recent two time Vezina winner, I'd like to see a second line winger or second pairing defenseman coming back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I think the value is okay, but I would be unhappy with a draft pick.  This team isn't anywhere near rebuilding.  If they're going to move a recent two time Vezina winner, I'd like to see a second line winger or second pairing defenseman coming back.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, a team who is built to win now and needs a goalie should be willing to cough up more than a draft pick for a chance to win it all. Regardless of how long TT plays at a high level,he has at least 1 or 2 years left, he is a Conn Smythe winner and most people in the league have seen how important a part he played in bringing the B's the Cup.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

In Response to What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/add-boston-bruins-goalie-tim-thomas-to-talk-about-options-for-tampa-bay/1227556
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    For St-Louis anytime. The Bruins could trade Thomas before July 1st and wait 'til July 1st to make it official.