What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?

In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : My impression is different. In the latest top 10 ranking, there are 4 forwards, with a combined goal total of 52. Seguin, by himself, had 48, in his draft year. There are 5 defencemen, who seem to be going up and down the rankings. There is also a goalie rated in the top 10, which is an indication to me, that the quality of skaters may be limited.    Even if Boston was able to draft a quality player with the pick they would receive for TT, it would not help them now. Of course, I said the same thing when they traded Kessel, and that seemed to have worked out ok, so what the heck do I know ;)
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

No idea what you're looking at, but I'm guessing it's only the North Americans.  Look at http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/.  Using their list, your numbers are way off with just Yakupov and Grigorenko, and you're not factoring in that Galchenyuk missed most of the year and Forsberg was playing in a man's league (SEL) not juniors.  His numbers in his draft year are pretty comparable to another guy with the same last name, and though he doesn't play the same style, he looked pretty impressive in the WJHC.  The only goalie they have in the top 30 is the KHL guy, Vasilevsky - Malcolm Subban has dropped out of the first round.  For whatever that's worth.

The defensemen moving around has more to do with preferences and styles rather than quality.  Think the difference between being compared to Subban and being compared to Lidstrom (stylistically, at least).  It's a draft that's stronger than most on D, and who knows what that means for teams actually taking D high in the first round.  Love to see Boston pick up Ryan Murray at 10.  Murray and Hamilton for 10 years?  Yes, thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I say go for it. Exactly how long does anyone think TT is going to be around? 2, maybe 3 years? And in that time is the quality of his play going to continue to be elite? The B's already have a young goalie waiting in the wings so a top 10 draft pick is not altogether bad for $5 million in cap space. If there is a good deal for Thomas then maybe it is time to move on?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : No idea what you're looking at, but I'm guessing it's only the North Americans.  Look at http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ .  Using their list, your numbers are way off with just Yakupov and Grigorenko, and you're not factoring in that Galchenyuk missed most of the year and Forsberg was playing in a man's league (SEL) not juniors.  His numbers in his draft year are pretty comparable to another guy with the same last name, and though he doesn't play the same style, he looked pretty impressive in the WJHC.  The only goalie they have in the top 30 is the KHL guy, Vasilevsky - Malcolm Subban has dropped out of the first round.  For whatever that's worth. The defensemen moving around has more to do with preferences and styles rather than quality.  Think the difference between being compared to Subban and being compared to Lidstrom (stylistically, at least).  It's a draft that's stronger than most on D, and who knows what that means for teams actually taking D high in the first round.  Love to see Boston pick up Ryan Murray at 10.  Murray and Hamilton for 10 years?  Yes, thank you.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    When I see a player like Griffin Reinhart expected to drop out of the top 10, then I'm looking at a reasonably deep draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I make that deal in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]I make that deal in a heartbeat, no questions asked.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

Nice pic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

haha, you too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree with NAS on this one - unless the Bs get a top 6 forward or top 4 D in return now, best to ride it out heading into next year and see how the start of the season goes. Maybe it's as simple as extending him at a reduced salary, extending Rask at an increased salary, and they move ahead with one of the best 1-2 groups at the same combined cap hit.

Unless they get that top 6/4 guy back, they're trading away a proven goalie for an unproven return...and then handing over the most important job on the team to another unproven goalie with great upside. I don't get why they would do that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

isnt Khudobin's deal a 1 way starting next season? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with NAS on this one - unless the Bs get a top 6 forward or top 4 D in return now, best to ride it out heading into next year and see how the start of the season goes. Maybe it's as simple as extending him at a reduced salary, extending Rask at an increased salary, and they move ahead with one of the best 1-2 groups at the same combined cap hit. Unless they get that top 6/4 guy back, they're trading away a proven goalie for an unproven return...and then handing over the most important job on the team to another unproven goalie with great upside. I don't get why they would do that.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

And if TT doesn't want a reduced salary or to play second fiddle to Rask to wind up his career ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just so we're clear, though - my main observation on this thread is my signature.  If the only reason we're entertaining this is because Tim Thomas has one year left on his contract, then it's bound to be a bad deal.

Let's assume the Bruins get a healthy Nathan Horton back, re-sign Kelly, and Campbell and Rask.  Are they more or less of a Cup threat with Thomas and Rask than with Rask and Khudobin?  I say more, so you have to look at what the Bruins might get for Thomas.  So, say it's St. Louis.  So you look at the cascade effect with MSL playing either with Bergeron and Marchand or with Krejci/Seguin and Lucic.  One of Krejci/Seguin becomes the 3rd line C, pushing Kelly to the wing with Peverley on the other side.  I think that lineup looks marginally more threatening, but in terms of risk, I think there's a huge gap and the impact would be greater than losing a #1 RW - I would be a lot more nervous with Khudobin and Hutchinson (Rask injured) than Rask and Khudobin (Thomas injured).

Unless it's part of a focused move to get a significant upgrade at another key position (a defenseman who could be a true 1A, for example), then I don't know how you're a better team without your #1 goalie.  There aren't a lot of "futures" packages that are worth subtracting a #1 goalie from a team with significant contender status.

Then again, two years ago, they lost Thomas, more or less, and almost made the conference final.  This year they lost their #1 RW and carped the bed.  But I'd say this is an exception.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would have never guessed Varlomov would fetch a 1st rounder. So what is TT's trade value? I guess it all depends on what team needs him. To teams like Tampa and Chicago it might be worth a first rounder. They have the players to win now, however  their goaltending is huge question mark. Forget about Luongo, he has zero effect on TT's trade value. Tampa and especially Chicago have seen he's too much of a gamble, especially with that contract. bernier is too unproven, with TT you get a known commodity.

I agree with NAS, that I would want a proven player, Stalberg and Malone, for 2 reasons. The B's have cap room to add and they are rady to win now,  but the 10th pick may have significant trade value on draft day. Should be interesting, but I do think he will get dealt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What If TT Fetched The 10th Overall Pick? : No idea what you're looking at, but I'm guessing it's only the North Americans.  Look at http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ .  Using their list, your numbers are way off with just Yakupov and Grigorenko, and you're not factoring in that Galchenyuk missed most of the year and Forsberg was playing in a man's league (SEL) not juniors.  His numbers in his draft year are pretty comparable to another guy with the same last name, and though he doesn't play the same style, he looked pretty impressive in the WJHC.  The only goalie they have in the top 30 is the KHL guy, Vasilevsky - Malcolm Subban has dropped out of the first round.  For whatever that's worth. The defensemen moving around has more to do with preferences and styles rather than quality.  Think the difference between being compared to Subban and being compared to Lidstrom (stylistically, at least).  It's a draft that's stronger than most on D, and who knows what that means for teams actually taking D high in the first round.  Love to see Boston pick up Ryan Murray at 10.  Murray and Hamilton for 10 years?  Yes, thank you.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I was using TSN's latest draft rankings (April 16th).
    It includes the Europeans.
    Subban is now rated 10th, and Murray has dropped.
    I understand Galenchuk only played 2 games all year. I don't think a guy with 2 games, unless he is the 2nd coming of CROSBY, would be rated that high if it was a strong group.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think a combo of Thomas and Pouliot for a 1st and a forward upgrade could be a realistic trade. No thanks on Malone, he's older, often injured and grossly overpaid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

First off, Thomas will never fetch a top 10 draft pick. Go after a guy like Purcell, and maybe try to get a 3rd round pick to go along with him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]First off, Thomas will never fetch a top 10 draft pick. Go after a guy like Purcell, and maybe try to get a 3rd round pick to go along with him.
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]
    Did you find the title of the thread confusing?