What is Reilly Smith?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What is Reilly Smith?

This guy is really impressing me.  He thinks the game at a very high level.  He's calm and makes creative plays.  He has above-average speed.  He battles.  He fired a high-end 1-timer last night against the Sabers. 3rd in team scoring through 8 games, playing at a 60 point pace while getting less than 14 minutes per game.  He has excelled at College and the AHL.  I see no reason why his game should get worse as the year progresses.

So what is Reilly Smith at the NHL level?  Is he as good as he seems to be?  He reminds me a lot of David Krejci.  If he is this good he really makes the Seguin trade worthwhile.  A 22 year old top-6 forward with room to grow making 900k is an absolute gem of a find.  Did the Bruins management know he was this good?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: What is Reilly Smith?

I knew he was this good.  I was trying to trade junk for him in NHL '13 and the Dallas team wouldn't go for it.  I had to trade Savard for him.

Right then, I knew he was bound to be very good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I knew he was this good.  I was trying to trade junk for him in NHL '13 and the Dallas team wouldn't go for it.  I had to trade Savard for him.

Right then, I knew he was bound to be very good.

[/QUOTE]

Gotta find those 70 rated guys with an "A" potential rating!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In all honesty though, I see him being a long-term 3rd line stud, who can play with the top 2 lines. I pretty much like every aspect of his game, and he makes a few plays a game where you can't believe that he's a rookie, and that nobody was talking about him in the Seguin trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Did the Bruins management know he was this good?"

We know the drill. PC was working with Dallas for awhile on the deal, typically the opposing the GM gives a list of prospects you can have and the ones he will not let go of. Chiarelli probably already had his Southern US AHL scouts down in Austin from time to time and then just started inquiring ifo about the list of Stars prospects he was given. I say the day of the trade and today, PC raked it in. You have to trust your scouts- Khudobin, Boychuk, McQuaid etc.

Ed Olczyk even broke down a great play were Smith went behind his back with a self pass along the boards, avoid a check and thread the needle with a nice pass. To me the difference between Fraser and Smith is that example from last night. If Fraser can clean up his board work to go with his NHL wrist shot he'll make the jump one day.

I also believe once you get a raw talent like Smith and put him with Bergeron, Kelly, Eriksson etc. you get the results we've seen. I don't think Reilly had a ton of talent around him in Dallas, he did in Austin. I saw a great deal of Smith when I lived in Texas last year. He was much better than Caron in the AHL. With Jordan it just took longer to get NHL better.

I say Smith is and will get better as the season goes along.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Did the Bruins management know he was this good?"

We know the drill. PC was working with Dallas for awhile on the deal, typically the opposing the GM gives a list of prospects you can have and the ones he will not let go of. Chiarelli probably already had his Southern US AHL scouts down in Austin from time to time and then just started inquiring ifo about the list of Stars prospects he was given. I say the day of the trade and today, PC raked it in. You have to trust your scouts- Khudobin, Boychuk, McQuaid etc.

Ed Olczyk even broke down a great play were Smith went behind his back with a self pass along the boards, avoid a check and thread the needle with a nice pass. To me the difference between Fraser and Smith is that example from last night. If Fraser can clean up his board work to go with his NHL wrist shot he'll make the jump one day.

I also believe once you get a raw talent like Smith and put him with Bergeron, Kelly, Eriksson etc. you get the results we've seen. I don't think Reilly had a ton of talent around him in Dallas, he did in Austin. I saw a great deal of Smith when I lived in Texas last year. He was much better than Caron in the AHL. With Jordan it just took longer to get NHL better.

I say Smith is and will get better as the season goes along.

[/QUOTE]

Very interesting.  I watched him a lot in college and then again this year, but hardly ever in between.  I agree that he might be one of these players, like Marchand, who gets better with NHL talent around him.