What is the value of Rask?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: What is the value of Rask?

BB- wouldn't the Halak/Varlamov acquisitions fly a little in the face of the "Chi/Det" models?  Maybe even Bryzgalov?  I recognize that those were trades as compared to RFA signings, but team's (Stl/Col) looking for a goalie to build around invested quite a bit to make that happen.  Seems more about what a GM values in building a team, as compared to method they use to build (Trade/UFA/RFA/Draft).

Also not sure that there is an appropriate litmus test for the profile of a team that might want to make a run at Rask.  Seems like any team interested in improving their goaltending situation short/long-term and has their payroll in a good place would be a candidate.

Agree with your 2nd paragraph, do not operate from a position of weakness and the the salary breakdown of the B's UFA's.  Also agree that BDC forum fodder makes for good debate, but totally trust that PC is all over this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

It's a good problem to have but the Bruins are going to have to make a decision at some point. you can make the argument that Tim Thomas is the best Bruin ever. when you look at what he's gone through to get in the NHL and what he has accomplished nobody deserved a Con Smyth and Stanley Cup more than Timmy Thomas. biggest heart to ever put on a Bruins uniform and I'll love him forever and dont want him to leave and retire a Bruin. but the most likely scenario is as bad as it will hurt everyone is Chia will do what's best for both sides and trade Timmy to the Redwings after this season and pray the Bruins never face him in a Stanley cup matchup.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask?:
    [QUOTE]Same thinking here as with the Kaberle trade last year.  The Boston Bruins gave up nothing and got the guy who was their top scoring defenseman in a Stanley Cup run.  Win. Trading Tuukka Rask for prospects and picks is taking a key component of a Stanley Cup defense and adding nothing.  Adding a prospect who is probably no better than the players on the current roster also equals adding nothing. This is how you have to think when you are taking a real run at winning it all - you're not in the business of collecting assets other than big, shiny silver cups.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Bruins gave up a first round pick for Kaberle, as well as Joe Corborne a former first round pick and a conditional draft pick.  Their powerplay was pathetic, but that was a big reason why the traded for him - to improve the PP.  They won the Cup in spite of Kaberle's poor play.  He ended up a 3rd line Defenseman averaging less than 10 minutes per game in the finals.  That my friend, is not work two first round picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

[QUOTE]Most teams believe that a solid goalie is the starting point. IMO Rask is that peice of the puzzle, and even a $7.0 offer sheet is worth countering, as Chiarelli could pressure Savard to retire to provide enough cap space. He could then trade Timmy, unless TT takes a Bruins discount, and provide more flexibility.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot.  You don't trade your #1 goaltender when your 1st in the East and a Stanley Cup favorite.  Savard doesn't need to retire.  They put him on the medically inactive list so his salary is paid by insurance and it doesn't hit the cap.  Same as what they did with Sturm a couple seasons ago, except Sturm returned in Jan/Feb and started hitting the cap.  Savard retiring doesn't help the B's it only scews Savard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

I'd prefer a long term deal past the 2015 season. It won't be cheap but the B's can't play a wait and see game in this situation. I'd rather not add Rask to the list of free agents in the upcoming 2 seasons.

In addition to Rask for 2012 they have (UFA) Kelly, Campbell, Corvo, Boychuk, Paille, Thornton and (RFA) Pouliot that need to be signed if they want to keep them. In 2013 they have Lucic, Seguin and Marchand as RFA's. Thomas, Horton and Ference are UFA's. 

If Rask becomes a RFA this off-season, the Islanders, Devils and Tampa Bay could be in the hunt. Of these teams Tampa Bay would seem to be the most likely place for Rask. The core of their team is locked up until the end of 2014, they need a goalie, and they are a legitimate Cup contender. Plus they have 19.6M in cap space which enables them to make Rask a strong offer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

[QUOTE]It's a good problem to have but the Bruins are going to have to make a decision at some point. you can make the argument that Tim Thomas is the best Bruin ever. when you look at what he's gone through to get in the NHL and what he has accomplished nobody deserved a Con Smyth and Stanley Cup more than Timmy Thomas. biggest heart to ever put on a Bruins uniform and I'll love him forever and dont want him to leave and retire a Bruin. but the most likely scenario is as bad as it will hurt everyone is Chia will do what's best for both sides and trade Timmy to the Redwings after this season and pray the Bruins never face him in a Stanley cup matchup.....
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]

First off Thomas has a no-trade clause.  The story ends there.  But if you want to continue the Wings won't trade for TT because they have Jimmy Howard who is a top 5 goaltender.  Thomas will be 38 in April with one year remaining on his contract.  He has publically stated that he intends to retire after his contract ends because he feels he has missed too much time watching his 3 children grow up. 

Here's a coversation from 2010 when Thomas was on the media trade hotseat:
    "I have a no-trade clause, that nobody seems to want to mention," said Thomas. "Despite the best efforts of some of the media, I don't think that anything's going to happen."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : You're an idiot.  You don't trade your #1 goaltender when your 1st in the East and a Stanley Cup favorite.  Savard doesn't need to retire.  They put him on the medically inactive list so his salary is paid by insurance and it doesn't hit the cap.  Same as what they did with Sturm a couple seasons ago, except Sturm returned in Jan/Feb and started hitting the cap.  Savard retiring doesn't help the B's it only scews Savard.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

don't call someone an idiot in one sentence and then make yourself sound like one in the next. its the long term injured reserve in the NHL, that medically inactive thing must be basketball

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : You're an idiot.  You don't trade your #1 goaltender when your 1st in the East and a Stanley Cup favorite.  Savard doesn't need to retire.  They put him on the medically inactive list so his salary is paid by insurance and it doesn't hit the cap.  Same as what they did with Sturm a couple seasons ago, except Sturm returned in Jan/Feb and started hitting the cap.  Savard retiring doesn't help the B's it only scews Savard.
    You're an idiot for not realizing Kaberle led the Bruins D in scoring (and for showing up here and calling someone an idiot). I suggest learning the game before returning. You obviously don't know much about it as it stands. BTW, Thomas' NTC expires in July. Once again, I suggest learning before trying to teach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Ive discussed trading Rask in other threads, but Ill mention a couple things here.

First, trading Rask for just picks unless the Bruins are completely backed up against a wall is lunacy.  Any deal would have to include an NHL ready offensive player.

Second, everyone is discussing this from a Bruins' standpoint- what will they (want to) do?  My take on the Rask situation is that if TT continues to play at a high level for a couple years, he (Rask) is not going to want to risk being a backup on the Bruins' bench at age 27.  I think people put too much stock in the "honor" of playing for the Bruins. Tuukka Rask is not going to be interested in being a #2 for a whole lot longer, especially now that he already has a Stanley Cup ring.

TT is a cult hero right now and it is not going to be an easy transition to another #1 guy, in any scenario short of a significant injury.

This will be about the Bruins deciding where the value is.  Do you pay Rask #1 money to be a 1A goalie?  Not in Today's NHL. Most teams don't like paying any goalie #1 money (except Philly, who apparently likes to pay over #1 money for a #3 goalie).  And I am going to guess that its not just the money Rask will be thinking of... that kids's going to want to play 50+ game a year, soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As much as it might be heresy to suggest, i think TT has to be the one to go if Tuukka forces the B's hand. Just on age alone TT has what, 2 maybe 3 high quality years left ? Unless TT is willing to take back-up money, i think he should go.I know we haven't seen Tuukka carry the mail for a whole year but i think from what we've seen so far, he should be really good, if not great. It's a tough decision and hopefully PC can work it out. Also TT will bring a handsome price as there are enough teams with problems in net.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : First off Thomas has a no-trade clause.  The story ends there.  But if you want to continue the Wings won't trade for TT because they have Jimmy Howard who is a top 5 goaltender.  Thomas will be 38 in April with one year remaining on his contract.  He has publically stated that he intends to retire after his contract ends because he feels he has missed too much time watching his 3 children grow up.  Here's a coversation from 2010 when Thomas was on the media trade hotseat: "I have a no-trade clause, that nobody seems to want to mention," said Thomas. "Despite the best efforts of some of the media, I don't think that anything's going to happen."
    Where was this "publicly stated"! Have a link?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Watch who you call an idiot "ROOKIE"!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Ive discussed trading Rask in other threads, but Ill mention a couple things here. First, trading Rask for just picks unless the Bruins are completely backed up against a wall is lunacy.  Any deal would have to include an NHL ready offensive player. Second, everyone is discussing this from a Bruins' standpoint- what will they (want to) do?  My take on the Rask situation is that if TT continues to play at a high level for a couple years, he (Rask) is not going to want to risk being a backup on the Bruins' bench at age 27.  I think people put too much stock in the "honor" of playing for the Bruins. Tuukka Rask is not going to be interested in being a #2 for a whole lot longer, especially now that he already has a Stanley Cup ring. TT is a cult hero right now and it is not going to be an easy transition to another #1 guy, in any scenario short of a significant injury. This will be about the Bruins deciding where the value is.  Do you pay Rask #1 money to be a 1A goalie?  Not in Today's NHL. Most teams don't like paying any goalie #1 money (except Philly, who apparently likes to pay over #1 money for a #3 goalie).  And I am going to guess that its not just the money Rask will be thinking of... that kids's going to want to play 50+ game a year, soon.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I'll bet 4 straight paychecks that PC isn't getting rid of Rask for prospects & picks unless Rask says he doesn't want to play in Boston. Good call Sox!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : I'll bet 4 straight paychecks that PC isn't getting rid of Rask for prospects & picks unless Rask says he doesn't want to play in Boston. Good call Sox!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Nite, you know I'm a Rask supporter but I figure he hasn't got much say in where he plays until someone gets him signd to an offer sheet. Even then, it'd be up to PC in that case. BTW, Happy New Year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : Bruins gave up a first round pick for Kaberle, as well as Joe Corborne a former first round pick and a conditional draft pick.  Their powerplay was pathetic, but that was a big reason why the traded for him - to improve the PP.  They won the Cup in spite of Kaberle's poor play.  He ended up a 3rd line Defenseman averaging less than 10 minutes per game in the finals.  That my friend, is not work two first round picks.

You're missing the point.  No, he wasn't the impact player they wanted, but they took nothing from their roster to get him, and it has cost them nothing in terms of this year's roster either.  It's like having a whack of cash buried in the basement during a zombie apocalypse - no one wants greenbacks when they could have a shotgun or a chainsaw or a can of beans.  "Worth" in this sense is abstract. The Cup win is concrete.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : You're missing the point.  No, he wasn't the impact player they wanted, but they took nothing from their roster to get him, and it has cost them nothing in terms of this year's roster either.  It's like having a whack of cash buried in the basement during a zombie apocalypse - no one wants greenbacks when they could have a shotgun or a chainsaw or a can of beans.  "Worth" in this sense is abstract. The Cup win is concrete.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Book, great analogy. Kaberle wasn't brought in to improve the PP as much as he was brought in to help win a Cup. Mission accomplished. Happy New Year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : Nite, you know I'm a Rask supporter but I figure he hasn't got much say in where he plays until someone gets him signd to an offer sheet. Even then, it'd be up to PC in that case. BTW, Happy New Year.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    To you as well buddy! You're right Rask doesn't have a choice, but PC does. And I'm quite confident that PC would never settle for prospects & picks a #2 d, or a top 6 forward would have to be included in the deal. Plus a prospect, or a pick. If the B's are going to give away the future, it'll have to be for the present. So, unless a Vinny Lecavalier type is coming over. You won't see PC giving away a sick goalie on hopefuls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : To you as well buddy! You're right Rask doesn't have a choice, but PC does. And I'm quite confident that PC would never settle for prospects & picks a #2 d, or a top 6 forward would have to be included in the deal. Plus a prospect, or a pick. If the B's are going to give away the future, it'll have to be for the present. So, unless a Vinny Lecavalier type is coming over. You won't see PC giving away a sick goalie on hopefuls.
    Nite, I couldn't agree more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : To you as well buddy! You're right Rask doesn't have a choice, but PC does. And I'm quite confident that PC would never settle for prospects & picks a #2 d, or a top 6 forward would have to be included in the deal. Plus a prospect, or a pick. If the B's are going to give away the future, it'll have to be for the present. So, unless a Vinny Lecavalier type is coming over. You won't see PC giving away a sick goalie on hopefuls.

I completely agree with the basic premise of this post, however Vincent Lecavalier is a horrible example of a player the Bruins would want in return.  He has over a $7.7 Million cap hit that runs through 2020, one of the worst contracts in the league.

From an impact standpoint though I agree, if they trade Rask it will be for a guy(s) who will have an impact this year.  Every team in the league has guys that they hope could potentially turn into what Chara and Thomas currently are.  However, the Bruins have as good a chance as anyone to win it all this year, and anyone who has followed sports for long knows how quickly that window can close.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : I completely agree with the basic premise of this post, however Vincent Lecavalier is a horrible example of a player the Bruins would want in return.  He has over a $7.7 Million cap hit that runs through 2020, one of the worst contracts in the league. From an impact standpoint though I agree, if they trade Rask it will be for a guy(s) who will have an impact this year.  Every team in the league has guys that they hope could potentially turn into what Chara and Thomas currently are.  However, the Bruins have as good a chance as anyone to win it all this year, and anyone who has followed sports for long knows how quickly that window can close.
    Posted by BSXIII[/QUOTE]
    Look no further than Ottawa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the value of Rask? : Look no further than Ottawa.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Great example!  I remember all the talk after they made the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals.  They were one of the youngest teams in the league, and had all sorts of young potential, they let Chara walk the year before and still made the Stanley Cup Finals.  The national media made it sound like all the other teams would be competing for ECF runner ups over the next 15 years.

That 15 year window sure slammed shut pretty quick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

The value of rask is keep playing him 50% of the gms. get him playoff shape and see what he is worth contract wise before making any off season transaction with either Thomas or rask. My personal opinion rask is younger and Thomas is the man but his age is a factor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Following practice Tuesday, Rask made it clear he wants to remain with the Bruins for the long haul.

"I think everyone does," Rask told ESPNBoston.com. "I bet a lot of guys want to come and play here as well. We've got a good group of guys here that have been here for a couple of years now and I think that's my goal as well.

"I haven't really put a lot of thought into it, but he's [Thomas] got a year left on his contract and mine is up obviously, but I want to stay here. I'm sure they have a plan for that too and it will all work out good. I'm a young guy and I want to have a long future ahead of me as a Bruin and make more good things happen for the team and our fans."

Rask was asked if he'd be willing to open contract talks now should Chiarelli approach him or his agent?

"Yeah, for sure. Offer me 10 years and a hundred million, I'll take it!" Rask joked."

Well now we have that straight Tuukka knows his value...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Hey if he signed an offer sheet for that contract.....I'd let him walk. LOL.

I read that article last night.....Sounds like Tuukka's heart is entirely in Boston, and that he doesn't want to go anywhere. My guess is that, due to some slight inconsistency (he wasn't lights out last year) and a lack of a great sample size, he will get a contract that isn't huge, but decent, and for 2 years, 3 max. The B's won't pay more than 4-5 mil, and he won't sign anything for that salary for longer than 2 or 3 years. I'd say it's a good deal.