What to do with Qdoba?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: What to do with Qdoba?

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Exactly right.  Our hand is being forced a bit with Thomas -- it is a threshold moment where a major decision on goaltending must be made. So the debate is not whether we like Thomas, or whether he's a great goalie, or if Rask/Qdoba are better.  Not at all. The question is, at what point to you choose to move in another direction with an aging goalie when you have two promising replacements in the system.  The replacements have proven nothing much yet (although Rask kinda has), but neither had Thomas when he came up.  Change is inevitable and you can't just fall in love with Thomas' past work forever. I watch Belichik very sucessfully ship away some 'stars' before their decline (Law, Milloy, Seymour, etc.) and get good value for them while keeping the team younger and closer to their collective prime.  It is one of the things that makes him a good GM, in my opinion.  He doesn't fall in love with the glory of the past or the hype of the future. Chiarelli has a tough decision to make.  To think that Thomas is the unquestioned future for this team is just as foolish as it was to doubt him 3 years ago.  Deal with the contraints of today, not yesterday.  This is in no way related to getting rid of Chara or Bergeron.  This is a unique situation and a crossroads for the Bruins goaltender position that could have ramifications for years to follow.  Blind faith for or against Thomas makes no sense.  It will be a judement call. Do you move on from Thomas next year, in two years, or try to hang on to Thomas for five years?  A perfectly valid debate at this point, with each answer having merits.  
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    I'm a Steelers fan and they give very little credit for what you've done. They assign contracts based on what you'll do instead. PC has a tough choice to make. I trust he can make the right one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Three GMs I spoke with in recent days said they are planning roster moves related to free agency as if the basic structure and operating procedures of the CBA will be retained past the expiration of the current document Sept. 15. If they have a concern, they said, it’s that the existing cap number, $64.3 million, could be rolled back, which could present problems to clubs already hard against the number. Key here is the strategy in dealing with restricted free agents (such as Tuukka Rask in Boston). Rarely do clubs try to steal players via RFA offer sheets, but according to the GMs with whom I spoke, they are going to approach summer 2012 like every other summer. So, yes, at the moment the Bruins are vulnerable to another club dropping big money on Rask as of July 1, provided Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli does not extend his deal in the coming weeks. But even then, the Bruins retain the right to match any offer, and all clubs are allowed to spike payroll to nearly $71 million over the summer without penalty."

KPD touched on the cap during the winter and why Chirarelli has to make a money decision not whether or not Thomas's game is slipping. 2013 Chiarelli has Marchand, Seguin, Lucic, Ference and Horton deal with. So Drewski PC most certainly doesn't have a ton wiggle room unless you give up some of your young core.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]" Three GMs I spoke with in recent days said they are planning roster moves related to free agency as if the basic structure and operating procedures of the CBA will be retained past the expiration of the current document Sept. 15 . If they have a concern, t hey said, it’s that the existing cap number, $64.3 million, could be rolled back , which could present problems to clubs already hard against the number. Key here is the strategy in dealing with restricted free agents (such as Tuukka Rask in Boston). Rarely do clubs try to steal players via RFA offer sheets, but according to the GMs with whom I spoke, they are going to approach summer 2012 like every other summer. So, yes, at the moment the Bruins are vulnerable to another club dropping big money on Rask as of July 1 , provided Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli does not extend his deal in the coming weeks. But even then, the Bruins retain the right to match any offer, and all clubs are allowed to spike payroll to nearly $71 million over the summer without penalty." KPD touched on the cap during the winter and why Chirarelli has to make a money decision not whether or not Thomas's game is slipping. 2013 Chiarelli has Marchand, Seguin, Lucic, Ference and Horton deal with. So Drewski PC most certainly doesn't have a ton wiggle room unless you give up some of your young core.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Considering the scarcity of quality goalies, rask's age and that he appears to be very highly regarded around the league, plays in a winning organization, this could be the perfect storm that compels some GM to slap an offer sheet on Tuukka. Maybe the Bruins can end up with the next 17 1st rounders, 9 2nd rounders, a 3rd and a 5th from Burke???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]" Three GMs I spoke with in recent days said they are planning roster moves related to free agency as if the basic structure and operating procedures of the CBA will be retained past the expiration of the current document Sept. 15 . If they have a concern, t hey said, it’s that the existing cap number, $64.3 million, could be rolled back , which could present problems to clubs already hard against the number. Key here is the strategy in dealing with restricted free agents (such as Tuukka Rask in Boston). Rarely do clubs try to steal players via RFA offer sheets, but according to the GMs with whom I spoke, they are going to approach summer 2012 like every other summer. So, yes, at the moment the Bruins are vulnerable to another club dropping big money on Rask as of July 1 , provided Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli does not extend his deal in the coming weeks. But even then, the Bruins retain the right to match any offer, and all clubs are allowed to spike payroll to nearly $71 million over the summer without penalty." KPD touched on the cap during the winter and why Chirarelli has to make a money decision not whether or not Thomas's game is slipping. 2013 Chiarelli has Marchand, Seguin, Lucic, Ference and Horton deal with. So Drewski PC most certainly doesn't have a ton wiggle room unless you give up some of your young core.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Yeah San, I don't know what Drew is seeing that leads him to believe there's plenty of cash to go around. Yes, he has some wiggle room but that can all evaporate starting with one wrong move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Yeah San, I don't know what Drew is seeing that leads him to believe there's plenty of cash to go around. Yes, he has some wiggle room but that can all evaporate starting with one wrong move.Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

$9M (yes that includes Savard LTIR) this summer Dez for 6 roster spots then PC sees what the cap ends up coming out at of the new CBA. Chiarelli has already planned ahead by bringing in Kudobin.

@WTL, You could be right PC could take the picks n run from the offer sheet but then he is left with Thomas more than likely wanting Luongo, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff or Bryz money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

My hope, and i beleive this is in the best interests of the franchise, is that Thomas plays like he did last year in the playoffs and that allows Boston to trade him for an asset(s) that will contribute to future success.

This is a business and teams that grow old will only suffer down the road for it so in my mind assuming there is interest and good value Boston HAS to look at what they can get for Thomas.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Why are there not more people mention Quick? I think we should consider grabbing him. I like his game from what I've seen of him.

Just another monkey wrench in there. lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

[QUOTE]Everything depends on what happens in the playoffs. How far the Bruins get, and how TT performs will clearly influence his value, and thus will be a big determinant on PC's options.  Look at two potential scenarios:  one, the Bruins go deep in the playoffs, maybe making it to the Finals again, with TT carrying the load.  Then, in July, he has a "Brodeur"-type valuation, being an elite goalie,though somewhat advanced in years.  Do the Bruins keep TT and move TR?  Or do they move TT while his value is high? On the other hand, if the Bruins crash-and-burn, and TT looks ordinary, then his value nosedives, and his comparable becomes someone like Roloson (though not quite that low), rather than Brodeur.  That changes the dynamic tremendously, and PC's gameplan.  Do you move TT at his reduced value and stick with TR & Qhobo?  And there are the permutations and combinations in between.  TT looks good in the 1st round, but falters in the second.  What happens then? Though I know you guys don't care, this is eerily similar to the Luongo-Schneider-Lack situation facing Mike Gillis at the end of the season.  So much depends on what happens in Apr-May-June.  The off-season market for goalies could be an interesting one, indeed.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Good post, 49-North. For a Canucks fan, I actually like you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Why are there not more people mention Quick? I think we should consider grabbing him. I like his game from what I've seen of him. Just another monkey wrench in there. lol
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I love Quick, but I'm not sure how you "grab" a guy who could be in line for the Vezina.  I mean, he's a young guy who is without question a top 5 goalie in the NHL right now.  I believe the Kings (and everyone else) want him too.

Dream big, I guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I for one have never been in the "trade thomas" camp...However, I completly disagree with all of you who say thomas is untradeable...It is business, just like you would trade a UFA who you know you can't resign so that you can get something, Thomas HAS to be traded, better to get something now than nothing later. 

Besides, the way that TT's contract is structured shows that all the parties knew that this day would come.  I give thomas a 20% chance of being back next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Hmmm.....maybe that feller named Rask. You know, the one that led the league in gaa and sv% (1.97, .931%) as a starter in 09/10? And before you go into the old "ohh...he wilted in the playoffs against Philly" shtick just remember that they did not lose that series due to goaltending but their inability to score goals.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Rask was burnt against Philly and he gave up too many soft goals.  He needed one solid game out of four and didn't get it.  He has yet to prove he can handle the load against the top flight teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

Timmy has one year left which will be with the B's unless he signs an extenstion.  I can't see any other team giving up a 1st round pick for a 38 year old goalie who may retire after his last year is up.  Rask is a RFA which means another team can (and will) make him an offer which the B's would have to match.  If you think Rask would sign for 2.5 to 3.5 mil per year for 3 years why hasn't the contract been signed?  PC's signed Peverly, Thorton and Boychuck but Rask is still free.  Of those 4 players Rask is the biggest priority.  Perhaps Rask told PC that he's not going to sign and wait and see if he's offered a starting position somewhere else.  Remember his rant back in Feburary when he told the media, "Even if I get a shutout I know I'm not playing the next game. It doesn't matter what I do."  Maybe Rask doesn't want to be Timmy's caddy for the next few years and the only way it will happen is if PC's forced to overpay for it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Rask was burnt against Philly and he gave up too many soft goals.  He needed one solid game out of four and didn't get it.  He has yet to prove he can handle the load against the top flight teams.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

Selective memory.  It was a lot like Thomas against Carolina the previous year, wasn't it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What to do with Qdoba? : Rask was burnt against Philly and he gave up too many soft goals.  He needed one solid game out of four and didn't get it.  He has yet to prove he can handle the load against the top flight teams.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

i think it had more to do with Krejci gone and gagne back.