What would it have taken?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

What would it have taken?

It's that time of the year when the headlines don't provide too much. So here is a question:

take the bigger trades of the off season and I wonder what a similar package from the Bruins would consist of:

Bobby Ryan

Silvferberg Noesen and a 1st round pick

Similar package: Krug, Spooner, 1st round pick + 3rd round pick

David Perron 

Magnus Paajarvi and a 2nd rounder

similar package: Caron and a 1st?

Setoguchi

Second round pick from WPG

similar package: 2nd + 4th

List the other guys you were interested in the bruins acquiring that got moved and what you think it would have taken. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: What would it have taken?

I'm not trying to be coy, but I honestly can't look at any of the trades and go "I wish the Bruins did that." Looking at our prospects, the trade we did do, the Iggy signing and the cap decreasing, there's not a trade out there that's happened since the end of the regular season that I would really have jumped at for the Bruins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Setoguchi sure would like nice on the 3rd line.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I'm not trying to be coy, but I honestly can't look at any of the trades and go "I wish the Bruins did that." Looking at our prospects, the trade we did do, the Iggy signing and the cap decreasing, there's not a trade out there that's happened since the end of the regular season that I would really have jumped at for the Bruins.

really? you wouldn't have liked bobby ryan on the bruins?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If there had been buyouts first then trades, yup the team would look different with some of the above in Bs uniforms.  I am a fiscal conservative, and I understand the role of PC with JJ as owner.  More could have been done but it remains with JJ and his influence. Last year his influence on the now current CBA negotiations and his verve to stay constant is limiting on what PC could do.  How can one argue though, the Bs have been to the SCF twice in three years. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not at the cost.  I like Ryan a lot, but that's big money.  And, you get it by giving up your bargain young NHL players in cheap contracts.  Krug is a deal right now, among a pretty expensive blueline.  It's a double whammy towards the cap when you get a new, very expensive player in Ryan AND give up your best blueline bargain at the same time.  I don't see how the numbers would work with Ryan.  Eriksson is a good value and Iginla can be worked in for one year (no more).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Setoguchi sure would like nice on the 3rd line.  

Yep. I like his game, good repsonsible play and put him down for 15-20 goals. Can fill in nicley on the power play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not at the cost.  I like Ryan a lot, but that's big money.  And, you get it by giving up your bargain young NHL players in cheap contracts.  Krug is a deal right now, among a pretty expensive blueline.  It's a double whammy towards the cap when you get a new, very expensive player in Ryan AND give up your best blueline bargain at the same time.  I don't see how the numbers would work with Ryan.  Eriksson is a good value and Iginla can be worked in for one year (no more).

[/QUOTE]

You would have saved cap space by not signing iggy.  I think we have enough d prospects that giving up krug wouldnt have been the end of the world.  id rather have ryan but spooner is not silverberg.  I dont see a lot of value in krug.  Id make that deal in a minute and minus iggy money.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah I really like Krugs promise now and Spooner needs to get his chance. I'd like to see where his talent goes in a Bruins uniform. If you told me cost last summer then I probably would have pulled the trigger.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

You would have saved cap space by not signing iggy.  I think we have enough d prospects that giving up krug wouldnt have been the end of the world.  id rather have ryan but spooner is not silverberg.  I dont see a lot of value in krug.  Id make that deal in a minute and minus iggy money.   

But Iggy's cap hit is for just one year and you don't have to give up anything to get him.  Krug and Spooner are pretty valuable assets even if Hamilton and Bartkowski appear to be NHL ready.  And a first round pick.  And a 3rd round pick (as proposed by the OP).

I'd rather have Iggy for one year and keep all of that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Iggy's cap hit is for just one year and you don't have to give up anything to get him.  Krug and Spooner are pretty valuable assets even if Hamilton and Bartkowski appear to be NHL ready.  And a first round pick.  And a 3rd round pick (as proposed by the OP).

I'd rather have Iggy for one year and keep all of that.

[/QUOTE]

Good pts.  But ryan is young in and signed.  Krug has a 1.7 cap hit and we just added morrow.   Will be ufa next year.  Iggy ufa.  The 1st is stiff but with the cap space and ryan in for more then one year id still do it.  Im looking fwd to seeing both krug and spooner hopefully this year.   But id make that trade in a minute.  Spooner may or may not be good.  Krug could have been replaced by morrow.  A late 1st is a toss up.  Not sure how deep the draft is.   

Ryan + 2.5 in cap.  Im doing that deal.  Ryan is much better then iggy at this pt.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Bartkowski at 650K is a much bigger bargain than Krug. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Krug starts in the A this season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Krug will be an RFA next year, and his cap hit might actually decrease because he won't be in line for bonus clauses.  His base is under $900K, so short of Subban like production, he's likely in line for McQuaid money next year. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Krug will be an RFA next year, and his cap hit might actually decrease because he won't be in line for bonus clauses.  His base is under $900K, so short of Subban like production, he's likely in line for McQuaid money next year. 

how did he land 1.7 for this year.  Bart is a deal.  

Had anyone said would you trade spooner, krug and a 1st for ryan prior the deadline i cant see many saying no.   Ryan is a stud.  Hits, scores and can move for a bigger guy.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

how did he land 1.7 for this year.  Bart is a deal.  

Had anyone said would you trade spooner, krug and a 1st for ryan prior the deadline i cant see many saying no.   Ryan is a stud.  Hits, scores and can move for a bigger guy.  

[/QUOTE]

yup, agree completely about ryan. 

Krug got that 1.7 because he was an unrestricted free agent out college. Poor Bartkowski got drafted 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Is Ryan a better player than Krug or Spooner?  Yes, and he probably will be for a long time.  And I say that as someone who has never had him on his e-harmony radar.  Good player, but boy, some people have had a crush on him for a long time.

More importantly, no, you wouldn't get a Ryan for that package.  The Ducks just forked over the keys to the Veyron to Getzlaf and Perry - they want to win, not rebuild.  They wanted to diversify and build some assets without taking a huge step back.  Silfverberg will get a good player for them.  Noesen got himself suspended or he likely would have a WJHC gold right now.  Fact is, the Bruins don't have an equivalent deal.  They could have gone much bigger with Marchand and Spooner or something, I guess.

I'm not a fan of Paajarvi, so Perron for a Caron and a 2nd pick seems equivalent to me - except Paajarvi is a speed and finesse player with a higher O threshhold.  I like Perron.  He could be one of those guys who suddenly finds the next gear.  If healthy.  Setoguchi for a second?  At $3M, he's a guy who could move up to the second line when needed, but he's a UFA after this season and another solid year like last year could move him into $5M bidding territory. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

All good points.  I would just remind that the question here is not whether you'd want Bobby Ryan or not.  I really like Bobby Ryan and have proposed going after him before.

But if the current choice is Ryan vs. Iginla, and Ryan costs you an extra year at $6 million, a 1st round draft pick, a 3rd, Torey Krug and Ryan Spooner, than I am happy with Iginla.

If I'm chossing between them straight up, I'd take Ryan.

But I like Krug and Spooner and I like their cheap contracts enough that it tips the balance for me.

We could also enjoy this season with Iginla and then use Krug and Spooner to pry away some other talent at this time next year too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Is Ryan a better player than Krug or Spooner?  Yes, and he probably will be for a long time.  And I say that as someone who has never had him on his e-harmony radar.  Good player, but boy, some people have had a crush on him for a long time.

More importantly, no, you wouldn't get a Ryan for that package.  The Ducks just forked over the keys to the Veyron to Getzlaf and Perry - they want to win, not rebuild.  They wanted to diversify and build some assets without taking a huge step back.  Silfverberg will get a good player for them.  Noesen got himself suspended or he likely would have a WJHC gold right now.  Fact is, the Bruins don't have an equivalent deal.  They could have gone much bigger with Marchand and Spooner or something, I guess.

I'm not a fan of Paajarvi, so Perron for a Caron and a 2nd pick seems equivalent to me - except Paajarvi is a speed and finesse player with a higher O threshhold.  I like Perron.  He could be one of those guys who suddenly finds the next gear.  If healthy.  Setoguchi for a second?  At $3M, he's a guy who could move up to the second line when needed, but he's a UFA after this season and another solid year like last year could move him into $5M bidding territory. 

pretty much agree with all of this. Silfverberg was the piece the bruins didn't have. That's why i added Krug...a player who is NHL ready, but very young with a high ceiling. My thought process Krug> Noesen, Spooner<Silfverberg

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I agree book.  The pkg proposed wouldnt have landed ryan.  

Fletch- really looking fwd to seeing spooner and krug.  Hoping both can make the starting lineup.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Considering the trading cost, the cap structure for next year, the pending FA's at the time like Bergeron and Rask, Boston's fiscal position regarding the cap, and the Bruins 3 zone style?

No.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

Considering the trading cost, the cap structure for next year, the pending FA's at the time like Bergeron and Rask, Boston's fiscal position regarding the cap, and the Bruins 3 zone style?

No.

[/QUOTE]

bobby ryan is perfect for the bruins system. the cap should be going up big time next season, I would make that trade all day. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

no it's not. in two seasons? yes. but not next season. Iggy's contract works because of the bonus structure - Ryan's would not have. It would have been approximately (depending on rulings) a 2.6 million additional immediate hit over Iggy's, which would have taken the Bruins beyond Savard's LTIR lee way. So they'd have been forced to offer Bergy less and risk losing him as a UFA next season due to uncertaity of offering him an extension, or be open to an offer sheet on Rask that they could not have mathematically matched. Ryan's great, but you have to look at the whole picture. It was simply not, under any circumstances, a finacially viable trade for Boston to make. Or do you not want the B's to have any deadline signing/trade flexibility/capability? Ryan may have been a decent hockey move, but it would have been an awful GM move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

edit

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Jordan Caron sucks.  You'd be lucky to get a 2nd line AHLer for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Jordan Caron sucks.  You'd be lucky to get a 2nd line AHLer for him.

I agree....Im so unimpressed with our Providence players, at least what Ive seen from them. I am talking forwards folks.....The Defensive youngsters have proven to be efficient players. Everyone talks of giving them a chance. I agree to a point. Maybe one, two at the most get called up at a time. They may look good in the AHL, but the NHL is a whole other beast. Every forward call up has looked out of place and a step behind.....Again, Im only talking about our forwards I have seen play when called up to the B's.