What would you pay Marchand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What would you pay Marchand?

Hard to believe that because the season went so long, free agency and the draft are right around the corner.  Marchand is the Bruins' key FA, what you would guys pay him?  I think his skill set is extremely good and his complete level outstanding.  I don't see any fall off in his play, only improvement.  His only danger is getting an ego and doing to much garbage on the ice.  He'll miss Recchi.  I would be willing to to go between 3 and 4 mil for 4 or 5 years.  I expect that PC will get him signed cheaper and for a shorter term, however.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Re: What would you pay Marchand?

short term deal to take him to UFA, $3mil a year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

The general discussions going around have him in the 3 - 3.5 mil. range. I guess it wouldn't be out of the question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

I'm guessing 2 years, 2.2 million. he didn't score 50 goals. he'll get a healthy raise but nothing crazy like 4 mill

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Lucic was extended for 3 years/ $12.25M = $4.08M/year
    Krejci was extended for 3 years/ $11.25 = $3.75M/year

My guess is 3 or 4 years around $3M sounds about right.

Also, like to see them extend Krejci and Rask who are RFA after 2011-12.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

^Agreed. 3/4 Years at anwhere between $2.8-$3.2M.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wheeler didn't get hefty raises after two consecutive years of 20 goals but Marchand's agent can throw in the playoffs point production during the discussions with Chiarelli so just around 3Mil sounds about right to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

3 years 9 mil.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeBruinsFan. Show LeBruinsFan's posts

3 mio / 3 yrs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

3 years - 9 million, broken down : 2.0 - 1st yr, 3.0 - 2nd yr, and 4.0 for the 3rd yr. Same cap hit as 3.0 per year I assume

n Response to Re: What would you pay Marchand?:
    [QUOTE]3 mio / 3 yrs
    Posted by LeBruinsFan[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

In Response to Re: What would you pay Marchand?:
    [QUOTE]3 years - 9 million, broken down : 2.0 - 1st yr, 3.0 - 2nd yr, and 4.0 for the 3rd yr. Same cap hit as 3.0 per year I assume n Response to Re: What would you pay Marchand? :
    Posted by mxt[/QUOTE]

3 years 6.6 million

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Before his play in the play-offs I would have said you could have gotten him for about 3M a season or maybe a little less but his price has gone up. Still it is only one year.  I think it will be closer to 10M total for the 3 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris3366. Show chris3366's posts

If I was PC I would pay like 3.5 per year and purchase at least 1 year of UFA.  If he can get a longer term then raise it up a half mill for each year of UFA purchased.  I wouldn't go more than 5 though.  Never know what could happen to an undersized player with that type of compete level.  So it would go like this

3yr term no more than 3 mil avg   2, 3, 4
    4yr term no more than 3.5 mil avg 2.5, 3, 4, 4.5
    5yr term no more than 4 mil avg  2.5, 3, 4, 5, 5.5

I also wouldn't give him a ntc or no movement clause either.  If there had to be it is null and void when the Bruins season ends for the summer or if he requests a trade. (this would be my standard contract for all new signings)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wish you guys negotiated my pay.

This is a guy with one year under his belt, who spent half of the year on the fourth line, and who has a history of difficulties focusing his emotions on playing effective hockey.  He was a dynamo in finals, but he can also be a real liability.  Just the facts.

Give him Wheeler money.  Wheeler was paid to be a 20+ goal scorer on the second line who also killed penalites.  2 yrs at $2.2M is your target.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I would try a long term deal ...this guy is a true Bruin.....5 years for $18MM

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think it may be possible to get him signed for under 3 short-term.  My concern if I was GM is that I think he has a really high talent level and drive to be better.  Not looking at the numbers, looking at his on-ice play.  His puck handling, anticipation, speed, acurate shot, willingness to go to the dirty areas, doesn't crumble under pressure.  That ads up to someone who is going to put up big numbers in the future.  I would be tempted to pay up now on a long term deal to avoid a big cap hit down the road.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

BB, usually you are pretty good, but on Marchand i would prefer the 4 yr 3.5 kind of deal. He not only has good hands, but he is tough. He has the " character" that PC loves. His puck control is much better than many more experienced Bruins. Remember, he is an RFA, and could wait out a low bid which his agent should advise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

He should get $6 million on a 3-year deal. $1.6m, 2m and 2.4m in last year.

My only concern is his agent: Wade Arnott. Remember him? Same agent as Phil Kessel. Brian Burke is licking his chops.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I wish you guys negotiated my pay. This is a guy with one year under his belt, who spent half of the year on the fourth line, and who has a history of difficulties focusing his emotions on playing effective hockey.  He was a dynamo in finals, but he can also be a real liability.  Just the facts. Give him Wheeler money.  Wheeler was paid to be a 20+ goal scorer on the second line who also killed penalites.  2 yrs at $2.2M is your target.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Not sure the Wheeler situation closely ties to how the B's might handle Marchand for a couple of reasons:

1) Wheeler was only extended for 1 year @ $2.2M, he is an RFA again this year. IMO, there was a lack of commitment to Wheeler from the B's about his overall game, hence he was traded.  I believe the B's want to commit to Marchand for a multi-year deal.
    2) Wheeler was a Playoff Ghost: 21gp 1-5-6 in 2 seasons with the B's.  Marchand? 25gp 11-8-19.

If "Big Wheel" is your baseline, then Marchand should get closer to $3M than $2M.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Brad Marchand was a ROOKIE this year.  He is not eligible for arbitration.   He made $812K and change in 2010-2011. 

What if he signs a one year, 1.50 - 2.00 million deal and is hurt?  I think that he is tough as nails, but he is only 5'8''.  I think that he would like a long term deal to secure his future.

Look for Chia to lock him to a three year deal for 8 million and look for Marchand to be THRILLED.

JMHO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'll be stunned if they give him more than two years, $5M total. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be stunned if they give him more than two years, $5M total. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    and angry too I bet......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you pay Marchand? : and angry too I bet......
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

If he can corral the BS, I'll be thrilled.  As he plays now, I would prefer he played elsewhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you pay Marchand? : If he can corral the BS, I'll be thrilled.  As he plays now, I would prefer he played elsewhere.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Sorry buddy but I suspect Marchand to be in Boston for awhile and I doubt he ends up changing his game a whole lot. Winning a Cup ring as a rookie might lead him to believe he's doing something right. In case I forgot to mention it earlier, I'm a fan of his.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Absolute tops 3 mil a year.
    Hey, everybody and Marchand and his agent - we only have a 1 year sample and like a billion other guys we might be asking 'whatever happened to that guy' 3 years from now.