What's in a name?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What's in a name?

So I'm surprised no one's complained on here yet about the new Division names in the East. The Atlantic division has two only teams on the Atlantic - Miami and Boston. And I have no idea what they were thinking with "Metropolitan." That's definitely not a word I often associate with Pittsburgh, Columbus or Raleigh.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: What's in a name?

I hate the new names. I think anything would have been better that those. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Stupid. You can have the teams geographically alligned without having the geography in the name. Game is rich with tradition and that should be honored via conference and division names.

Campbell Conference:

Orr Division

Howe Division

Wales Conference:

Gretzky Division

Hate to leave someone out, let fans decide who last division is named after. Give them five candidates like: Beliveau,Richard,Sawchuk etc...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Stupid. You can have the teams geographically alligned without having the geography in the name. Game is rich with tradition and that should be honored via conference and division names.

Campbell Conference:

Orr Division

Howe Division

Wales Conference:

Gretzky Division

Hate to leave someone out, let fans decide who last division is named after. Give them five candidates like: Beliveau,Richard,Sawchuk etc...

Agree. Orr howe gretzky and the peoples choice NAS division starring perros and semin.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bill Daley used the poor excuse that they didnt want to snub other names. Easy fix is to change the division names every 5 yrs and assiocate the names with a team that's within that division. Some teams like the Ducks & Columbus don't have much history, but that's a lot more of a valid excuse then to have these boring names & snubbing everybody that has made this sport what it is! I think this new NHL is garbage with how they don't show enough appreciation of the names that have helped make the games history. It seems Wayne is the only one gets any nortority with having his # retired from all 30 teams. So guys like Belliveau, Howe, Orr & Scotty Bowman all get snubbed, because they don't want to snub some. I think we should all start a petition & say the new division names are boring & stink! 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I usually don't care, or even remember division names. I'm just happy the league hasn't started selling the naming rights, ala the stadium name deals.

I can live with, Atlantic or Metropolitan, alot easier than, the Blue Gecko, or Dorc, division :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS Division:  No goons

Shupe Division:  No goalies make more than league minimum, all on one year deals

Red Division:  All games played outdoors...in the Yukon Territory...in January

PBergeron37 Division:  All penalties are for 32 minutes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Campbell Conference:

Orr Division

Howe Division

Wales Conference:

Gretzky Division

I really don't like this idea.  I am not sure why.  I don't think it cheapens the names, but there is just something that seems wrong to me about it.  I liked the names being of people who built the league, not those who played in it.

I feel the same way about the trophies.  The Mark Messier Leadership Award is weak weak weak.  People often suggest the Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey/Doug Harvey for defense.  I would hate that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Shupe Division:  No goalies make more than league minimum, all on one year deals

Fletch div: no tim brents.  

San div: ringette rules

dez div: no chris neil. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

JWensink division: no Blake Wheelers

Bookboy division: no college defenseman

Hangnail division: no playing with injuries

BKQueen division: no long sticks

Chowda division: no US players (spell checked) REJECTED by Gary Bettman

PS. Somewhere in Manhattan an NHL attorney is proudly telling his girlfriend he came up with the "Metropolitan division".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Campbell Conference:

Orr Division

Howe Division

Wales Conference:

Gretzky Division

All those legends, yet Glen Metropolit is the first player to have a division named after him :p

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fletch div: no tim brents.  

San div: ringette rules

dez div: no chris neil. 

[/QUOTE]

stamPkos div: No Finnish goalies making over minumum wage

NAS division: Have to have 100+ games to play

Bookboy division: Games are long,sticks are long, everyone has Jagr 1991 long hair

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good one, Kel.  Cracked me up.

Freakin StamPkos.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Rename the East "The Stanley Conference."  To start all teams predict where they'll finish.  If they fall short they promise to leave the conference only to return later in the playoffs.  Khudobin is automatically named a First Team All-Star and awarded the Vezina regardless of his actual stats.  I'm jokin' with ya, Stanley.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

What's in a name ? Nothing for me . I didn't pay attention to what the last division names were called. 

I just knew what teams were lumped together. The division names were meaningless to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Chowda division: no US players (spell checked) REJECTED by Gary Bettman

That's almost close to being correct. I probably have a dislike for more Canadian players then any other country.

Make it no Canadian players. Then, there wouldn't be enough players to fill that divison.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

What was so wrong with the old names, since they basically align perfectly?

Adams - BOS, BUF, DET, FLA, MTL, OTT, TAM, TOR

Patrick - CAR, CLB, NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WSH

Norris - CHI, COL, DAL, MIN, NSH, STL, WPG

Smythe - ANA, CGY, EDM, LAK, PHO, SJS, VAN

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

NHL should have never changed from the original names is correct.