What's up with Bergeron?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

What's up with Bergeron?

Is it CJ's line changes that mess Bergeron up ?  Or is there something wrong with him ? It was weird to see him absent from the ice a few games ago, but it was reported that it was of a personal nature. Is he hurt ? I couldn't imagine he would play if his concussion was bothering him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: What's up with Bergeron?

Is it is wife-girlfriend ....he doesnt like like he's having fun on the ice these days ...????? 

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to What's up with Bergeron?:
    [QUOTE]Is it CJ's line changes that mess Bergeron up ?  Or is there something wrong with him ? It was weird to see him absent from the ice a few games ago, but it was reported that it was of a personal nature. Is he hurt ? I couldn't imagine he would play if his concussion was bothering him. 
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong with Bergeron.  He is what he is.  A very good two way center that is streaky and has never and will never be an elite player.  He is also stuck playing with another streaky player in Marchand (whose in a slump) and a guy that has had one good offensive season in his entire career who is a 3rd/4th line player in Peverly.  Not that playing with slow and old as dirt Recci most of the year was any better.

I lover Bergeron. He's the type of guy that can contribute to winning a cup but it's Bruins fans that place him and guys like Krejci in the Datysuk category that are the problem. Even if Datysuk is having a down year his skill level is through the roof compared to Bergeron or Krejci.

The Bruins lack any true elite players on offense and their reliance on consistent secondary scoring instead of one or two legit NHL scoring lines will be their downfall in the playoffs.  

The Bruins 1st two lines are good but streaky.  The third line is crap and the fourth line is giving them nothing.  Combine that with no defenseman contributing points consistently, a terrible power play and Claude's playing not to lose east-west collapse everyone hockey versus aggressive forechecking, pressure on the puck in all zones, north-south hockey,  and anyone can see the early round playoff loss this year coming a mile away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In Response to Re: What's up with Bergeron?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What's up with Bergeron? : Nothing is wrong with Bergeron.  He is what he is.  A very good two way center that is streaky and has never and will never be an elite player.  He is also stuck playing with another streaky player in Marchand (whose in a slump) and a guy that has had one good offensive season in his entire career who is a 3rd/4th line player in Peverly.  Not that playing with slow and old as dirt Recci most of the year was any better. I lover Bergeron. He's the type of guy that can contribute to winning a cup but it's Bruins fans that place him and guys like Krejci in the Datysuk category that are the problem. Even if Datysuk is having a down year his skill level is through the roof compared to Bergeron or Krejci. The Bruins lack any true elite players on offense and their reliance on consistent secondary scoring instead of one or two legit NHL scoring lines will be their downfall in the playoffs.   The Bruins 1st two lines are good but streaky.  The third line is crap and the fourth line is giving them nothing.  Combine that with no defenseman contributing points consistently, a terrible power play and Claude's playing not to lose east-west collapse everyone hockey versus aggressive forechecking, pressure on the puck in all zones, north-south hockey,  and anyone can see the early round playoff loss this year coming a mile away.
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]
    So you don't think he's in a slump cause of personal situation or injury ? I was just wondering.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

bobforte,

No, Bergeron is not hurt, that you are right. But please analyze what you are saying first. For one, how many times can you say that Bergeron has not looked himself? Maybe 3-5 games a year? He's a workhorse and never seems to take a shift off let alone a night of hockey. Im not worried with his situation. The kid just lost his grandmother, someone he was extremely close to according to reports. He knew of her condition, as her health had been deteriorating for some time now. There's no reason not to give the kid some slack, life comes before hockey.

I'de also agree that Bergeron has a slim chance of ever becoming an elite player in the NHL. However, he was well on his way to becoming one of the best young players in the league before his concussion. Don't take my word on it, look up the information on him when you get a chance when he first started in the NHL. He was considered in the top-10 of young guns in '06 by TSN. Names like Crosby, Ovechkin, Getlaf, Richards, Phaneuf, and Carter were on that list. Ironically, he won the MVP on the Juinor-Canadien team with all these (-AO) players as his teamates.  

Sure, i may be a little bit bias, maybe because i seen this kid play at a high-level against the best competition since he was 17yrs old. The kid is a "hockey-player" end of story. Bergeron is also the first player in NHL history to get gold playing in the mens WC before obtaining junior gold. Also, the kid shot his way up to the NHL, only lasting one season in the QMJHL. Which in turn, hurt his draft status in '03 where many believe he would of been a top-10 pick had he had more experience and resume.

He's an excellent 3-zone player, and when you have a Hall Of Famer like Steve Yzerman say that you're "captain" material and would want a player like that on his team then i don't know what further evidence you need. The kid is over 50pts, playing with a dinosaur and a rookie who happened to get hot but has hit a wall. I can only imagine what Bergeron is capable of with two legit scorers on his line as he did with Sturm and Boyes in '06.

Is Bergeron an elite player, no i don't believe that's the case anymore. However, there's no doubt he can be a consistent 75pt+ guy while excelling at all 3-zones.

Side note: Who ever wants to have a Bergeron vs Krejci debate, lets do it. I'de take Michael Felger to school on that topic...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What's up with Bergeron? : Nothing is wrong with Bergeron.  He is what he is.  A very good two way center that is streaky and has never and will never be an elite player.  He is also stuck playing with another streaky player in Marchand (whose in a slump) and a guy that has had one good offensive season in his entire career who is a 3rd/4th line player in Peverly.  Not that playing with slow and old as dirt Recci most of the year was any better. I lover Bergeron. He's the type of guy that can contribute to winning a cup but it's Bruins fans that place him and guys like Krejci in the Datysuk category that are the problem. Even if Datysuk is having a down year his skill level is through the roof compared to Bergeron or Krejci. The Bruins lack any true elite players on offense and their reliance on consistent secondary scoring instead of one or two legit NHL scoring lines will be their downfall in the playoffs.   The Bruins 1st two lines are good but streaky.  The third line is crap and the fourth line is giving them nothing.  Combine that with no defenseman contributing points consistently, a terrible power play and Claude's playing not to lose east-west collapse everyone hockey versus aggressive forechecking, pressure on the puck in all zones, north-south hockey,  and anyone can see the early round playoff loss this year coming a mile away.

Agree Bergeron may never be an elite scorer. Has the skill but the consistant killer instinc is missing. 

Krejci to me could be an elite scorer one day. Even without the consistant killer instinct the kid is an offensive dynamo. Great at stickhandling, board play and a top level passer in the league. Will reach 80-90 points one of these days. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

The Bruins are missing the type of player that Chicago is loaded with. Sharp, Toews & Kane. Anyone of these would be the B's best player. To say Bergy is not elite is spot on. He was on his way before the concussion but stuck in Clods style will keep him where he is at offensively. When he is called upon to deliver big O it's just not there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

From what I heard, Bergeron missed the game because his Grandmother had passed away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

datsyuk was the best player in the NHL 2 years ago, no one has put bergeron in that category

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

bergeron on sunday was holding his left wrist with his right hand when signing autographs, saw this up close while signing my kids hat, wasnt even driving was getting a ride from ference......maybe this explains his play of late

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hope he finds his mojo he's crucial to the success of Marchand and Peverley's playoff play. Those two haven't really been that good in helping Patrice either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's up with Bergeron? : datsyuk was the best player in the NHL 2 years ago, no one has put bergeron in that category
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

Far too many fans overrate our Bruins players and underrate other teams stars. Far too many of the posters on this board also point to Julian as the reason the Bruins can't make a legit Cup run (and he's definitely part of the problem if not a big part of the problem) but what seems to be missing from most people's assessments of the Bruins is the fact that they lack elite talented players. 

Put Scotty Bowman or Dan Bylsma behind our bench and it's still the same team.  It's even possible we have less wins with a coach that prefers an up- tempo aggressive forechecking system because most of our defenseman can't skate well enough or make the first pass well enough and because most of our forwards lack speed and puck handling skills.  What'd you get playing that type of up-tempto system with our current players is a boat load of two-on-ones going against us.  Yes we'd get more scoring chances and it would be a whole lot more exciting to watch but would the results be more wins?  I for one don't think so. I think you'd get less wins and a lot of 4-6 losses.

I want Julian out out town more than anyone and for a more exciting brand of hockey to be played by the Bruins. But if we don't get more mobile on defense, don't get more players that can create space with speed and puck handling and don't get at least one legtit (probably more) elite scorer this team as constructed is only capable of playing well in the type of system Julian has in place.  Get rid of the coach but the players have to change too.

If we are going to have the same roster our best chance at a cup is with this type of system (with or without Julian), Thomas or Rask stealing a series as well as playing at a Conn Smythe kind of level.

Fight it if you want but them's the facts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

have people forgotten that patrice was named one of the top 12 forwards in canada for last years olympics? elite scorer no... elite player yes. his game is rightfully compared to daytsuk's. dayksuk is not an elite scorer but an elite player also. 2011-- bergeron (21g,29a), daytsuk (22g,34a). the fact is patrice is busy cleaning up other peoples messes a lot of the time- on BOTH ends of the ice, therefore his numbers will never be "elite numbers". he's too much of a team player, and for that the bruins should be thankful. i mean seriously, yesterday the globe comes out with an article on patrices 5 or 6 game point slump, and today he's no longer an elite player? bergeron has been the bruins best player since he entered the league at 18. btw he's only 24 or 25 years old- i'd say he's progressing quite nicely. hope he scores a hattie tonite!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They have two winners of major trophies in Thomas and Chara, and Thomas will at very least be nominated for the Vezina this year, so they have elite talent just not on offense.  Saying Thomas (or Rask) needs to play at a Conn Smythe level is nothing more than the old saying "your best players have to be your best players".

As for the offense, I could give you the blah blah about the Bruins being top five in team scoring, with an unbelievably good 5 on 5 goal ration (1.45 to lead the league; Vancouver is second at only 1.24).  I might suggest that if they could get the f'n powerplay to score, they'd be fine on the offensive end, but you'd only come back with "that's why they need an elite scorer!"  Yeah, elite scorers are great aren't they?  Except when they're not.

When healthy, the Bruin defense corps now skates relatively well - that is, with Kaberle, Seidenberg, Kampfer, and Ference, you have a pretty smooth group of skaters out there.  Not always the best decision-makers, or the most physical group, but smooth on their skates. 

Instead of one or two "elite" talents on offense, the Bruins are built around 4 guys who have elevated their games for stretches and played like elite players.  Bergeron led the league in scoring over a period of more than a month in Jan-Feb.  Krejci looked like a world-beater in the playoffs last year.  Horton has already shown he can go on 10 game runs of nearly a goal/game.  Lucic has been on a run of scoring like a 50 goal performer and has also shown a tendency to score more in big games, playoff games.  After that, you have a group of supporting offense - Ryder, Recchi, Marchand - that can heat up and score in streaks, and after that, you have players on the lines 3-4 who contribute at a decent clip.  Add Seguin in as an afterthought - a player who can be invisible or look lost all game long, then take a breakaway pass and score or receive a feed and one time it in. 

So in theory, you build a team that gives up 2 goals more than 3, and you assemble a distributed offense with enough talent that you score an average of 3/game (exactly 3 as of today) as some of those pieces get hot and some slump.  In the end, you have a formula there to make the playoffs because you have a strong differential between goals for and goals against.  And in the playoffs?  You look for a perfect storm where Bergeron and Marchand play like it's January, Horton Lucic and Krejci play like they did for the first 10 games (or on the recent road swing), the PP finally gels with Kaberle, and Seguin wakes up one morning and realizes he can be a difference maker even now.

In this, they are no different from any other team - get healthy for the playoffs, get confident, and hope to get on a roll.  Doesn't matter if you're Crosby/Malkin/Staal (incredibly healthy on their two years of Cup appearances) or Toews/Kane/Hossa (Toews was torrid for three playoff rounds, Kane solid).  And this isn't about talent per se.  Remember Kris Kontos, John Druce, and the litany of guys who would suddenly score like Mike Bossy come playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins are missing the type of player that Chicago is loaded with. Sharp, Toews & Kane. Anyone of these would be the B's best player. To say Bergy is not elite is spot on. He was on his way before the concussion but stuck in Clods style will keep him where he is at offensively. When he is called upon to deliver big O it's just not there.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Bruins lack a true dynamic offensive player. But there are only a handful (definitely less than 30) of those players in the league... Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Nash... you know the names. Let's hope Seguin becomes one of them.

But I don't see what any of that has to do with Bergeron.

And for the record, Hossa is Chicago's 2nd best forward, not Kane (skilled but soft) or Sharp (68 points and a -1 this year). Kudos to Chicago for somehow getting four upper-echelon forwards, though. Just remember that's extremely rare.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chicago got two of the four by stinking badly, another thanks to a trade that worked out really really well, and a fourth via Free Agency.  I'm not sure Sharp really counts, but that's splitting hairs.  Where the Hawks are really fortunate is in the way their draft picks on the blueline have worked out - much better than even they anticipated (think about this - if they knew Keith and Seabrook were going to be as strong as they've been over the last two years, do you think they still sign Campbell to that ludicrous contract, or do you think they save that cap space and keep Byfuglien and Barker?)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

That whole line seems due. I'd give them a few more games before getting worried.