Wheeler and Ference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Wheeler and Ference

Ference has played well not great , But Wheeler has been awful can not score will not use his size and sometimes he is out of control I just do not understand this guy out. He was a top 5 pick that has underachieved.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Wheeler and Ference

It's tough because it seems like Wheeler wants to play here and is showing good effort.  And I like how Ference stepped up in that fight.  But the bottom line is, they're just not that good.  There has got to be a team that would give us draft picks for these two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought Ference was the best D-man on the ice for the Bruins against St. Louis.  If a defensemen is going to be moved, I would still prefer that it be Hunwick (and I think he probably has more appeal to other teams).

Wheeler doesn't fetch much in terms of a return or in cap relief.  Ryder is really playing too well to justufy a demotion to Providence, but there may be no other choice.

Chia will have to make some really tough decisions...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Someone has to go at some point and as bookboy said it will be a forward as the Bruins are over stocked right now. The only reason Wheeler isn't gone yet is Chiarelli doesn't like the picks he's being offered and Sturm/Savard aren't close yet. I'd take Marco at 60% rather than watch Wheeler lumber as he refuses to take the body.

As much as I'd like to see Bartkowski I don't think Chiarelli is going to mess with Julien's defense. Ference looks to me like he's a 100% healthy he was everywhere against the Blues.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

Lump in Matt Hunwick in this group too. I just can't stand watching him play. Seams like everytime he touches the puck he makes a perfect pass to the other team. Cut him loose!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler and Ference:
    [QUOTE]I wonder - have the people advocating for the Bruins ridding themselves of Hunwick and Ference actually watched Bartkowski play this year? For the record, the best defenseman so far this season for Providence has probably been Steve Kampfer. And he's not ready yet. None of those kids are. Hunwick had a bad start to the season but has improved immensely the past few games. Both he and Ference were very good Saturday night in a one-goal, playoff-type, fast-paced game. It seems some fans are still stuck on last year or the start of this year.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  Ference has been consistent this entire season, and Hunwick is continuing to progress.  No need to move them right now.  As for Wheeler: I wouldn't mind if he was traded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I never liked Ferrence's game, I was looking forward to him being out of here after his contract expired last season.  Didn't like that re-signing.  Although, I must admit he hasn't bothered me this year as much in years past.  He has been more invisible this season, and I mean that in a good way. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Wheeler shipped out of town either, I think the emergence of Caron makes wheeler dispoable.  Caron fills the same role just as well at the present and has more potential in the future.  I think Ryder has played well enough to put himself ahead of Wheeler on the depth chart.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Wheeler and Ference:
    [QUOTE]It's tough because it seems like Wheeler wants to play here and is showing good effort.  And I like how Ference stepped up in that fight.  But the bottom line is, they're just not that good.  There has got to be a team that would give us draft picks for these two.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

I've posted my thoughts on other threads - sorry for being obnoxious but I really like Jochen Hecht (always have).

Time to make a trade.  Wheeler, Hunwick/Ference (take your pick), and Hamill to Buffalo for Hecht and a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Bring up Bartkowski.  Put Seguin on the wing as soon Krecji returns (7-10 days?).

Lucic Seguin Horton
    Caron Bergeron Recchi
    Paille Hecht Ryder
    Marchand Campbell Thornton (McGrattan)

Chara Bartkowski
    Seidenberg Ference/Hunwick (take your pick)
    Stuart McQuaid

When Krejci returns -

Lucic Krejci Horton
    Caron Bergeron Recchi
    Seguin Hecht Ryder 
    Marchand Campbell Thornton
    (McGrattan or Paille)

When Boychuk returns -

Chara Boychuk
    Seidenberg Bartkowski
    Stuart Ference/Hunwick (take your pick) 
    (McQuaid)

Just my thoughts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I wonder - have the people advocating for the Bruins ridding themselves of Hunwick and Ference actually watched Bartkowski play this year?

For the record, the best defenseman so far this season for Providence has probably been Steve Kampfer. And he's not ready yet. None of those kids are.

Hunwick had a bad start to the season but has improved immensely the past few games. Both he and Ference were very good Saturday night in a one-goal, playoff-type, fast-paced game. It seems some fans are still stuck on last year or the start of this year.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO Wheeler should have spent the last two years in the AHL. Like most college players he has not learned the Pro game. Still, at 6' 5" with speed he could be welcome on most teams. As BB noted Hunwick was either the best D against St. Louis or equal to anyone else. Ference played better because St. Louis forwards are not as big as the CAPS. Chia is about to make some moves, so let's see what he has in mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I will agree Wheeler looks like he plays a boys game. Which is interesting hes got size and speed he should be able to throw big hits just doesnt. Cant hit the blindside of a barn with a snapshot either.

If he just had that extra 10% of emotion and luck he could get back on track for 20+ this year though. Also his 2.2mil contract isnt as bad as some others on the team. Ferrence has been ok and Hunwick is inconsistent. Losing any of them would be meh, life would go on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hunwick was the best D on the ice for the Bruins vs. St. Louis.  No one was more surprised than me.  Threw more than one good stand-em-up hit.  Knocked down Oshie.  Had some good scoring chances.  I've been on the tar-and-feather committee on Hunwick for a while, so I have to be fair and say he's playing better.

Wheeler's been okay.  Not good enough to draw any interest in his $2+M salary right now.  He needs to start burying some of those chances though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsRock. Show BsRock's posts

how come nobody is talking about recchi.  he has looked slow out there.  doesnt look like he has the legs to go anymore.  ference hasnt looked that bad, and ryder has been playing a little better.  but wheeler definetly needs to move on.  bring up kampfer or colburn.  get some young guys some ice time.  they did the same thing with pj and glen murray, holding on too them for too long.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

One of the reasons that nobody is talking about Recchi is the fact that the only thing that will take him off the books is a trade.  With his "over 35" contract, sending him down would not remove his cap hit, nor would retirement. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]how come nobody is talking about recchi.  he has looked slow out there.  doesnt look like he has the legs to go anymore.  ference hasnt looked that bad, and ryder has been playing a little better.  but wheeler definetly needs to move on.  bring up kampfer or colburn.  get some young guys some ice time.  they did the same thing with pj and glen murray, holding on too them for too long.
    Posted by BsRock[/QUOTE]

Have you observed Kampfer and Colborne? Do you believe they're ready for the NHL? I'm interested in your report.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I think Kampfer and Colborne need a full season of AHL hockey for their development.  Maybe they could be late season call-ups to cover injuries.  No reason to call them up now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UCONN. Show UCONN's posts

[QUOTE]how come nobody is talking about recchi.  he has looked slow out there.  doesnt look like he has the legs to go anymore.  ference hasnt looked that bad, and ryder has been playing a little better.  but wheeler definetly needs to move on.  bring up kampfer or colburn.  get some young guys some ice time.  they did the same thing with pj and glen murray, holding on too them for too long.
    Posted by BsRock[/QUOTE]

Agree about Recchi - it os painful to watch. Didn't he have the same horrendous start last year and then turn it around in January (or thereabouts)? Not sure I can watch him much longer, but not sure we have any options.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

And how exactly are you going to remove Recchi's cap hit?  With his contract, the cap hit stays if he retires or gets sent down to the minors.  Do you think that other teams are lining up to trade for him?  That's the only way that his cap hit comes off the books.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Actually, the 35+ rule only applies to second-or-later years of multi-year contracts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good info Dr.CC. That means that Recchi could opt to retire and his Cap goes away?? Some of us have been somewhat harsh on Ference, but, my opinion on him has been the same for the last two years. He's too small; he's prone to injury; He is not fast enough to pinch and get back; his passes are often ending up with the other team or all the way down for icing. He has shown a bit more spirit this year, and if he stays "at-home" he's OK except when large wings just smother him. Wheeler talks a good game, but, he still plays like he's in college. Dumping the puck behind a defenseman often just gives it away; Some of Seguin's "bad" passes were because Wheeler was some place else for no reason; he just cannot sem to finish good set-ups; He is good trade bait, but there isn't any rush because neither Sturm or Savard are close. Tend to agree on Kamfer and Bartkowski needing more AHL time, which is why Yandle is such a desireable target. Still fel thst Hamill's game and savvy would be better than Wheeler or Seguin at center. Bring up Hamill, put Seguin on his wing and let Recchi rest. Problem is the CAP hinders call-ups, so trades must come first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, the 35+ rule only applies to second-or-later years of multi-year contracts.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    I stand corrected.

Thank you for setting me straight.