When Players Were Afraid of Goons

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

When Players Were Afraid of Goons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ImIx0XC4U&feature=g-vrec

No one wants to make eye contact with Probert here. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: When Players Were Afraid of Goons

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ImIx0XC4U&feature=g-vrec

No one wants to make eye contact with Probert here. 

[/QUOTE]

Nas, it took me a bit to figure out how to provide a link we can just click on. When you post your link, highlight it as if you wanted to copy and paste it. After doing so, you should see the last 2 icons on the right side of the post options light up.  Those are for inserting links or unlinking. Not a huge deal but it makes it far easier for folks to access the video you're trying provide.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EXLoC7DwXg

Cheers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Dez, NAS is probably using a browser other than Internet Explorer ... not that I care.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dez, NAS is probably using a browser other than Internet Explorer ... not that I care.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Klaas, I didn't realize there was a difference since I pretty much only use a laptop and I also noticed more and more links offered up this way since the forum "improvements" were made. Cheers and thanks again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

True Dez. It is bothersome some people don't know how to use Internet Explorer when providing links. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Internet Explorer is awful.  Firefox is the only way to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm also a Firefox user.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I use IE, FF and Chrome depending on the web page I'm looking at.

Chrome here for this board..  Much faster.

If you see a web address which is not hyperlinked in FF or Chrome, highlight it and right mouse click, you will get an option to go to the web address in a new browser or a new tab.

If you see the web address not hyperlinked in IE, I'm not sure.  There might be an accelerator to take you to the web page if you right mouse click on the web address after you highlight it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There was a Blue player on the ice that couldn't look anyone in the eye because there was a Red Wing player on top of him, but Probert took car of that like a coward. Big Bad Bob waited for the linesman to leave then punched the St. Louis player right in the eye while the player was still onthe ice. What a Man!

Now if Stan Jonathan had done this with video provided, the skating clown speech would have followed. Probert did his job, Jonathan is a thug however. Double standards abound...

Please explain, aside from off ice controversy, the difference between the two players ? (goals scored during their careers is of course irrelevant)

PS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASQZL25aak 

How to properly put up a priceless Probert cheapshot-scum moment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Put down your pitchfork, Sandog.

This isn't a "I love Bob Probert" post.  It's a "today's goons are not scary to anyone" post.

I don't know why half of you spend your time trying to insist that I contradict myself.  stevegm did the same thing yesterday.  I can assure you that my thought process is clear.  I don't write things to stir the pot, but I do write that I think.  I don't write lie after lie.  I can always remember what I've posted because it's exactly the same as how I feel or think.

Enough of the "Yeah, but NAS, you said this and now I'm going interpret this as to possibly mean this and ooooooooh man, I've been waiting for this opportunity to call you out!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I was actually genuinly interested in what your thoughts were about the two players. The rest was just some ribbing. I think the reason why there is so much more HRR to go around these days is becuase the great game doesn't have Bruins-North Stars games and utter Probert meltdowns anymore. Players like McQuaid and Chara, that have skill plus will make you pay for running the team star, will make the skating clown, per say, go away some day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Not sure when this clip was from exactly, but likely around 1987-88.  Probert's line that year...29-33-62 in 74gp with 398 PIMs.  Also went 8-13-21 in 16 playoff games.  Not a goon at all, but incredibly feared.  Shawn Thornton's career numbers are comparable to Probert's 87-88 season; 30-43-73...just that it took ST 450 games to get there.

If you watch closely it looks like Housley has a little pee come out when Probert gets close to him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Probert had a couple of good seasons, but he was a goon.  Chris Simon had a coupe of good seasons also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

Probert had a couple of good seasons, but he was a goon.  Chris Simon had a coupe of good seasons also.

[/QUOTE]

4 40-point seasons...not a goon, even though he might have been scary to you.  Come to think of it, 3 40-point seasons more than Troy Brouwer.  Chris Simon had talent and showed production in a short window of his career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I recall Probert being pencilled in on the first line playing wing alongside Yzerman . Playing on the first line is not reserved for goons.

How about a tough, talented forward who could beat the snot out of anyone ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I recall Probert being pencilled in on the first line playing wing alongside Yzerman . Playing on the first line is not reserved for goons.

[/QUOTE]

Semenko used to play with Gretzky. 

I guess we look at the description differently, and that's perfecty ok.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Semenko used to play with Gretzky. 

I guess we look at the description differently, and that's perfecty ok.

[/QUOTE]

Yes we do. 

Probert played with Yzerman on a steady basis during their produtive years together. Probert's toughness and skill set complimented Yzerman's savvy play.

Semenko was inserted next to Gretzky occasionally for the reason of being a body guard against teams that were taking liberties with Gretzky. He was not a regular linemate of Gretzky's like Probert (and Gerard Gallant) were to Yzerman. Kurri and Tikkanen were.

Line shuffling at times by the coach for the purposes of only protection ......not production plus protection as in Probert's case.

As mentioned before, first line status is not reserved for goons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Chowdakid. Semenko was a lot more than just an occasional linemate of Gretzky. Something like 3 to 5 years on a regular basis (more than Tikkanen).

Tikkanen only played on Gretzky's line about 2 1/2 years (due to Gretzky being traded to LA).

Furthermore, Semenko was not a goon. He was a bodyguard. Big difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For those who don't know, Klass is our resident Oilers expert.

I label Semenko as a goon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I only lived in Edmonton from '81 to '90 (Oiler dynasty years). Any other years I know nothing about the Oilers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I only lived in Edmonton from '81 to '90 (Oiler dynasty years). Any other years I know nothing about the Oilers.

[/QUOTE]

That's pefect, Klass.  No one really discusses anything about the Oilers from any other time!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

How could Semenko skate regularly with Gretzky who was putting up 200 point seasons and only muster a career-best 27 in 1982-83?  Just doesn't compute, seems like you would register at least 50-60 points by accident. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I will take back my statement that Semenko played regularly on Gretzky's line for about 5 years. This was about 30 years ago, so my memory slipped somewhat.

Lumley, Pouzer, Krushelnyski, and Tikkanen also played with Gretzky and Kurri.

But when thinking about who Gretzky's left winger was, Semenko comes to mind more than any other player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How could Semenko skate regularly with Gretzky who was putting up 200 point seasons and only muster a career-best 27 in 1982-83?  Just doesn't compute, seems like you would register at least 50-60 points by accident. 

[/QUOTE]

But but but but but but...playing with a great player like Gretzky (or Yzerman) means you're a good hockey player and the points you post are due to your skill level, not "by accident".

Semenko, Probert and Simon:  goons

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Probert played with Yzerman a significant amount more then Semenko played with Gretzky, at least thats how I remember it. It was also during a time when the game was wide open, so of course Proberts numbers are going to be somewhat inflated. When I look at Proberts numbers during those years I tend to look at it as just how terrific Steve Yzerman was.