Who Benefits from Mediation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Who Benefits from Mediation?

If this board is any indication, perceptions of how this lockout has progressed are pretty divided.  Some hate rich owners, who imposed their will in the last lockout, now trying to police themselves at the players' expense.  Others see the players' willingness to continue under the terms of the previous agreement as evidence that the system is bent too far to the benefit of the players (if they have nothing they want to "fix"...) and see the players themselves as deaf to the reality of the NHL's business.  (Keep in mind here, I'm describing opposing poles, not individuals.)

Makes me wonder who stands to gain the most from mediation.  I think there's a huge upside for the owners if they can make the mediators see the economics of the game from their perspective, and if they can spin the "make whole" as a good faith gesture to take some of the hit required to bridge between the 50/50 and 57/43 split.  Then they likely have support from the mediators to take out some of the inflationary contracting stuff like RFA after three years.  The downside for the owners is revenue sharing.  If the mediators say the owners can't expect the players to budge on make whole dollars unless the owners are willing to address the part of their economic difficulties that comes from revenue disparities, then I think the owners are stuck.

I'm not sure where mediators will help the players other than backing their push for increased revenue sharing and maybe getting the owners off of their take it or leave it changes to the contracting rules.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Who Benefits from Mediation?

If the mediators help the game get back on the ice then it's the fans and people whose livelihood depend on the game who benefit. This lockout has now, if not sooner, entered the ridiculous phase. I think the mediatiors will do the 50/50 split and meet somehwere in the middle as far as the make whole provision goes..After that, depending on who you ask I guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

It'll all be for nothing if either side take what the mediators say! There's nothing that says they have to listen to the mediator's concepts. I think both sides need to open their ears & listen to what they have to say & take it that they know what they're talking about. If they don't then this was just another publicity stunt to tell the fans..."We tried everything to come to an agreement!"

I still think both sides are to just as much to blame as the other. It's becoming more a side show the longer this goes on. I love the game too much to say I'll never watch, or buy anything related to the NHL again, but I am getting pretty sick of it all! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I'm not sure where mediators will help the players other than backing their push for increased revenue sharing and maybe getting the owners off of their take it or leave it changes to the contracting rules."

I think the reason the mediators got know where fast last time is because the owners and NHLP weren't this close. What I am predicting, hoping really, is when they break tomorrow, that the owners will have countered with a more money towards the "make whole" so Fehr can go back n say "Here's more towards what we want in a $ amount. Do you want to take a vote ?"

The players want the owners to push the amount of money up for the "make whole". The mediators need to push that there is only going an X amount of games now in a shortened season. How can you keep asking for that X amount ? Since the 50/50 has been decided then I think the rookie EL years will go to 4 instead of 5 years, that will be fine because the vets don't care about the rooks money . A compromise on when a player becomes a UFA should follow, 28-30 etc.

Backing off the take it or leave it stance is, to me anyway, the mediators real job. This of course is using logic not greed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not to complicate the relatively simple question, but it really seems like it depends on the parameters/instructions that the mediators were given.

I mean, are they supposed to find compromise and try to split the difference of disputes, or are they supposed to determine what would be the 'fairest' breakdown of the revenues (which seems very subjective to me)?  

I don't understand what objective the mediators are working from.  If they are trying to get a deal done, then naturally they will focus on compromise and look to leverage both sides more or less equally into a deal that they can live with.  But if they are there to determine which side is 'right' or justified in their current offer, that's a whole different thing.  Are they there for judgments or are they there for finessing the negotiations?

Do you want them to decide in favor with one side or the other, or do you want them to  massage each side into giving up just enough to reach a midpoint that both sides can live with?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not to complicate the relatively simple question, but it really seems like it depends on the parameters/instructions that the mediators were given.

I mean, are they supposed to find compromise and try to split the difference of disputes, or are they supposed to determine what would be the 'fairest' breakdown of the revenues (which seems very subjective to me)?  

I don't understand what objective the mediators are working from.  If they are trying to get a deal done, then naturally they will focus on compromise and look to leverage both sides more or less equally into a deal that they can live with.  But if they are there to determine which side is 'right' or justified in their current offer, that's a whole different thing.  Are they there for judgments or are they there for finessing the negotiations?

Do you want them to decide in favor with one side or the other, or do you want them to  massage each side into giving up just enough to reach a midpoint that both sides can live with?

[/QUOTE]

I honestly want them to come up with a more than fair solution so that both sides can live with the out come & that we won't have to go thru this garbage 7 yrs from now! If that means sacrificing this season? So be it! As far as I'm concerned I've seen very little from either side where they actually show any remorse to not us the fans, but to the people who depend on the NHL to make a living. The concession workers, pro-shop & security people. I'm sure the majority of these people have another job on top of this, but I'm sure they're doing these jobs because they need to work 2 jobs to live. So far the only person who I have seen actually take time to speak to a fan directly is Gary Bettman! And the way that fan was behaving before Bettman spoke to him I would've told him to pee up a rope! Bettman was still cordal & shook the d!cks hand after words. I have yet to see a player do this for a fan. So far all I've seen from the players is name calling & fighting with each other. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Because it's non-binding neither side will benefit. A waste of time because of the steadfastness of both sides. They'll be right back to where they started before this process. 

Thanks will go out to the mediators with hopes they enjoyed the free food. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If my knowlege and experience with the art of mediation holds true.  Mediators will listen to one side then the other.  The old "I have in my pocket what they want and I have in the other pocket what you want" scenario.  Given those perimeters I believe the make whole argument holds more "water".  The players have made concilatory movement than the owners.  IMO the mediators do not look at probabliities as much as they do realities.  So my guess is the players have more strength in the argument.  

Again  I am very respectful of the risk owners of any industry make.  Let me put it this way, if three years down the line the USA economy sinks, all we will hear is that the NHL owners made a bad deal.  Consequently there will be little or no sympathy for their plight.  The players will demand contracts and they will win their argument.  The owners on the other hand will have to deal with the puzzle of economic disarray.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Mediators walk. 

So much for who benefits.