Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?

I appreciate that they may be doing their due diligence, but...isn't that a little out of character for a story that has already broken?  Isn't S.O.P. in the digiverse to re-tweet, recycle, report first under a Proviso like "Campbell Petty, Corrupt according to Blogger" and then report on the existence of the blog more than the story itself?

I find it bizarre, and the only thing I can think is that someone in Legal is worried that this will get Ug with a capital Ly.  I'm curious what Bob will come up with.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Scott Walker W_T_F Now it makes sense grrrr... I have to not think about this now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

Surprise Surprise, looks like the league won't do anything about this. From TSN:

Contacted by TSN for its reaction to Dellow's piece, deputy commissioner Bill Daly said: "Any suggestion that www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=colin+campbell">Colin Campbell performs his job with any less than 100% integrity at all times and in every decision he makes is way off base and just factually wrong.  Because of the potential for a conflict of interest, or more importantly a perceived conflict of interest,  the League has implemented various structural protections that prohibit Colie from having any oversight or disciplinary authority relating to any game in which his son, Gregory, plays.  Its always fair to question and criticize League decisions as being wrong, but not on the basis that they aren't justly and fairly arrived at."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

TSN has picked it up.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341367

And the NHL has responded

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5809513&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, I have to admit, that response was about as perfect as it could be.  Bookboy probably has it right.  There are only two ways something comes from this: 1, if there is evidence that opinions expressed in the emails may have influenced future decisions; or 2, if he leaves his post because the perception that he has done wrong is more important than evidence of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

Problem is it will never get any farther than this.Imagine if this happened in any other sport or when politicians do get caught pulling this kind of crap its front page news for days.....Now what bruins fans have known for years is finally coming out and its not even a headline in the hockey news (not mentioning nhl site because you know Bettman's censoring that)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The arrogance.

"For me, it's much ado about nothing. Stephen and I would have banter back and forth and Stephen knows I'm a (hockey) dad venting and both of us knowing it wouldn't go any further than that. Stephen would laugh at me. The game in question (when GregoryCampbell was penalized late in the Atlanta-Florida game) wasn't on TV and I was asking Stephen to find out for me if it was a soft call. That's all there ever was to it. The (refs) working that game are still in the league, aren't they? Stephen handled the officials, just like Terry Gregson does now, and I've got a lot of emails to those guys asking about this soft call or that soft call and that's in a lot of games. I'm not ultimately responsible for the (on-ice) officials, that's Terry Gregson's responsibility, but I have to answer to GMs on these calls."

Notice that was all about the Florida atlanta game. He never said a word to defend himself over the Savard Campbell incident in the Bruins Panthers game. More smoke and sophistry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

"Any suggestion that Colin Campbell performs his job with any less than 100% integrity at all times and in every decision he makes is way off base and just factually wrong."

How could anyone read or write that statement without laughing out loud??  Those emails really scream integrity... 

Parden the cliche, but where is the outrage??  Enormous media fail.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Yes he of course doesnt mention the player he called a "Faker" clearly an indication of personal dislike. A clear conflict of interest in future decision IE Cooke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Savard has always been known as this type of player so I have no problem with what Colin Campbell said. I agree with his comments.

But in his position he should not have put that on paper in an email. THat is where he messed up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

I would hope the NHLPA would get involved in this, a vote of no confidence at least

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"?:
    [QUOTE]Savard has always been known as this type of player so I have no problem with what Colin Campbell said. I agree with his comments. But in his position he should not have put that on paper in an email. THat is where he messed up.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

The comments about Savard are interesting and juicy but ancillary. The main point is that the guy is the head of discipline for the NHL, and he is using his influence against an official who made "bad" calls against his son. If you don't see a problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.

Less germane but certainly infuriating is the recollection that Campbell shed a copious amount of crocodile tears last spring over Marc Savard, saying he wanted to suspend Matt Cooke, but couldn't do so, and he cared about Savard, he really did, he used to coach him, yada yada yada. Those e-mails reveal that he is a bloody freaking hypocrite. To have him in a position of influence in the NHL offices is reprehensible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

At very least, someone should point out the discrepency in his story.  He defers all issues re: Florida to Mike Murphy, but he was inquiring on behalf of the Florida GM when asking about the penalty to Greg?  Nope.

Someone needs to dig a bit here.  This was the typical non-response response - keep the details to a minimum, counter everything with a blanket dismissal.  Make them answer to the details.

Based on their first response, here's the best you're going to get, though:

"Obviously Marc Savard is a star player in this league, and I respect how much he's grown as a professional since we were together with the Rangers.  What I wrote to Stephen was clearly an emotional reaction in an informal communication.  Any formal processes we use to make decisions are designed to ensure decisions are made objectively.  The system takes the potential for emotional reactions out of the equation. We would not have changed the way we arrived at a decision on Matt Cooke if it had been Gregory who was hit, except that I would have recused myself.  That does not change the fact that I feel for Marc Savard and the difficulties he has been facing.  I would like to publicly apologize to Marc for the contents of these emails.  I'll apologize to Marc in person at the earliest opportunity.  No questions, thank you."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

1) AMAZING work by MC79hockey. Thank you Mr. Dellow.

2) What on earth has the NHL been thinking this whole time? They've literally been going about their business with a ticking time bomb. THE NUMBER ONE REQUIREMENT IN THE POSITION OF CHIEF OFFICER OF DISCIPLINE is IMPARTIALITY. Am I wrong??? And this guy's SON is a player. Jeeeeeez.

3) I really don't think this would be as big of a deal if these emails came out and Colin Campbell had actually been doing a good job... But the impartiality, on top of the inconsistency, on top of last year's concussion controversy, on top of the lack of faith amongst the fans... COME ON! This guy needs to go.

Campbell WILL NOT resign himself. He is a stubborn ###. Bettman has to break up the ole boys' club. You can't aim for legitimacy and ask for recognition as a real major sport, yet still try to maintain a secretive order of league officials and a blatantly bias inner circle of back-scratchers.

4) Is this juicy tale of controversy all just a GIANT dubious P.R. plot to appeal to Mainstream Media and lure ESPN back to the NHL? Sounds good to me...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

NHLPA will have a field day with this.  I feel awful for Greg Campbell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : The comments about Savard are interesting and juicy but ancillary. The main point is that the guy is the head of discipline for the NHL , and he is using his influence against an official who made "bad" calls against his son . If you don't see a problem with that, I don't know what to tell you. Less germane but certainly infuriating is the recollection that Campbell shed a copious amount of crocodile tears last spring over Marc Savard, saying he wanted to suspend Matt Cooke, but couldn't do so, and he cared about Savard, he really did, he used to coach him, yada yada yada. Those e-mails reveal that he is a bloody freaking hypocrite . To have him in a position of influence in the NHL offices is reprehensible.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

In order to have someone in charge of NHL discipline you have to have someone who knows the game. I see what you are saying but it would be almost impossible to find someone to take on that job without having some negative history with some player. At least someone who knows the league.

I agree with you that Campbell looks like an idiot for putting that out on an email. That is where he went wrong. His comments as a NHL diciplinarian make sense. Obviously that is the reputation Savard has. But Campbell put them out in an email & deserves the heat he will take over this. But the comments he made are based on the reputation of Savard. Just because Savard is a Bruin don't change my opinion of him. Campbell was dead on in that aspect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : In order to have someone in charge of NHL discipline you have to have someone who knows the game. I see what you are saying but it would be almost impossible to find someone to take on that job without having some negative history with some player. At least someone who knows the league. I agree with you that Campbell looks like an idiot for putting that out on an email. That is where he went wrong. His comments as a NHL diciplinarian make sense. Obviously that is the reputation Savard has. But Campbell put them out in an email & deserves the heat he will take over this. But the comments he made are based on the reputation of Savard. Just because Savard is a Bruin don't change my opinion of him. Campbell was dead on in that aspect.  
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

Savard did have a reputation in his early years (and Campbell coached him when he was a 20-year-old), but since becoming a Bruin, he has gradually changed not only his style, but his work ethic. I'm not the only person who's noticed this. He'll still complain now and then, but to say he's a constant diver and embellisher is hyperbolic, especially when you compare him to guys like Dan Carcillo or Max Lapierre. Savard isn't even in their league.

As for the job as head of discipline, first of all, it shouldn't be ONE person, but a panel of three. And the more diverse their backgrounds, the better. There are plenty of solid hockey minds out there who didn't play in the NHL. How about people with backgrounds in college, junior, or the minor leagues? Most importantly, they need to appoint people with integrity. Surely that exists somewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : Savard did have a reputation in his early years (and Campbell coached him when he was a 20-year-old), but since becoming a Bruin, he has gradually changed not only his style, but his work ethic. I'm not the only person who's noticed this. He'll still complain now and then, but to say he's a constant diver and embellisher is hyperbolic, especially when you compare him to guys like Dan Carcillo or Max Lapierre. Savard isn't even in their league. As for the job as head of discipline, first of all, it shouldn't be ONE person, but a panel of three. And the more diverse their backgrounds, the better. There are plenty of solid hockey minds out there who didn't play in the NHL. How about people with backgrounds in college, junior, or the minor leagues? Most importantly, they need to appoint people with integrity. Surely that exists somewhere .
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think he goes by the name Bob McKenzie.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from allrightythen. Show allrightythen's posts

His answer for why Cooke didn't get suspended was pathetic and twisted at best.  The interview has to be avaiable on youtube somewhere, think it was with Milbury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Finally I understand why the malicious act of Cooke didn't result in suspension. Pathetic. Greg Campbell has been a great center, and that was a smart move by PC to understand the politics and bring him in!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

So........ What happens next?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]So........ What happens next?
    Posted by ddd112273[/QUOTE]
    Hopefully he will resign rather than be fired.Either way,he needs to go in order for the game to keep some semblance of integrity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The problem is that Campbell has been so evasive and cryptic in his explanations of his decisions, that a conspiracy theory about the deliberate bias in his rulings makes perfect sense.  It's like the final piece of the puzzle.

He said there were no rules in place to punish Cooke??  Flat out BS.  There was plenty of precedent for suspensions based on targeting the head with a hit (see Lucic on Lapierre).  The only precedent in the NHL is that they can break their own rules (or make new ones up) whenever they want.  Hull's skate in the crease against Buffalo was a perfect example.  Goal disallowed all season long, but for a game winner in the Stanley Cup...let's just let it go?

Last year Campbell said (in response to criticism about Savard), that he can't just make up new rules to address a situation like the Cooke hit.  Really??  When Sean Avery stood in front of Broduer and distracted him during the playoffs, the NHL made up a new rule, right then and there, preventing that type of thing.  No precedent.

Starting a fight in the final minutes of an out-of-reach playoff game was supposed to be an automatic 1 game suspension, per Campbell's rules.  But after Malkin jumped Datsyuk -- getting an instigator penalty -- Campbell simply decided 'no, not this time'.  No suspension.

There is no precedent, there is no logic, and it is time for the NHL to stop embarrassing themselves and send Campbell packing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The problem is that Campbell has been so evasive and cryptic in his explanations of his decisions, that a conspiracy theory about the deliberate bias in his rulings makes perfect sense.  It's like the final piece of the puzzle. He said there were no rules in place to punish Cooke??  Flat out BS.  There was plenty of precedent for suspensions based on targeting the head with a hit (see Lucic on Lapierre).  The only precedent in the NHL is that they can break their own rules (or make new ones up) whenever they want.  Hull's skate in the crease against Buffalo was a perfect example.  Goal disallowed all season long, but for a game winner in the Stanley Cup...let's just let it go? Last year Campbell said (in response to criticism about Savard), that he can't just make up new rules to address a situation like the Cooke hit.  Really??  When Sean Avery stood in front of Broduer and distracted him during the playoffs, the NHL made up a new rule, right then and there, preventing that type of thing.  No precedent. Starting a fight in the final minutes of an out-of-reach playoff game was supposed to be an automatic 1 game suspension, per Campbell's rules.  But after Malkin jumped Datsyuk -- getting an instigator penalty -- Campbell simply decided 'no, not this time'.  No suspension. There is no precedent, there is no logic, and it is time for the NHL to stop embarrassing themselves and send Campbell packing.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Remember Walker suckered Ward and Campbell decided to waive the automatic suspension that the rules had in place.Bottom line is Campbell is an idiot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who did Colin Campbell call "a little fake artist"? : Remember Walker suckered Ward and Campbell decided to waive the automatic suspension that the rules had in place.Bottom line is Campbell is an idiot.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yes, exactly.  Another great example.  When Lucic throws a half punch at Lapierre while he is charging at him, it is deemed "targeting the head" and Lucic is suspended.

When Scott Walker sucker punches Ward directly in the face while his arms are at his sides, it is...apparently...not targeting the head...and therefore...not suspension worthy...?

The arbitrary wheel of justice spins on the whims and insecurities of a bitter, stubborn, old man who writes emails at a 4th grade level.  Absurd.