Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?

Sit pat. The core is there. Assuming Horton can resume his game and with Hamilton on the way, there is not a huge glaring hole to fill. Caron will take a big step forward and can replace Benny the Pooh. Seguin will continue his climb. See if one of Knight, Spooner, or Koko can assume the rookie (marchand>seguin>caron>?) developement role.

Just get a new coach to run the powerplay. As they were humbled in the hustle department this post season, they should get back the desire that was so prevalent last year. Then they will have the cash if they need someone at the deadline.

That is enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"won last year despite Lucic"
    Wow, that must be some fantasic weed you're smoking out there in Cali.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I'd be on the phone to Columbus right now floating Thomas+Lucic and a pick for  Nash.

Yes, I am serious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

to stand pat is to watch the others pass you by....

i'm sure PC is looking at more than just some tweaking....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Just because you don't make a big splash doesn't mean you're being passed by.

Adding a healthy Horton, McQuaid, plus Hamilton, and one of the youngsters is adding quite a bit. They didn't lose because they didn't have talent, they lost because they didn't show the desire to do so. There should be plenty of fire from them after the humbling by the Caps.

A few complimentary pieces are more than enough in my opinion. 7 years of Nash 7.3 hamstrings you in the long run.

Maybe you deal Krejci and hand the reigns to Seguin if you're going to really change it up. But how much and how long do you think Parise is going to cost? A TON, thats how much.

Everyone was crying for Kovalchuk and they ended up with (at the time, widely panned moves for) Kelly and Peverly. How did that work out?

If Bergeron's bum hand doesn't keep him from burying the OT shot (or they have a coach that can set up a powerplay, or Pouliot actually looks where he's dumping the puck) we're not even having this discussion.

Just because they had a crummy series doesn't mean you have to blow it all up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?:
    [QUOTE]And there it is the Shane Doan watch officially starts on BDC. I say 22 threads titled "What about Shane Doan ?" will be started before now an July 1st...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Shane Doan makes a hell of a lot more sense than Parise.  We need some frickgen size up front.  We already have plenty of Top 6 forwards in the small size/light weight category. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : yeah, forgot to mention him, would be a great fit here
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

Doan  and his family are entrenched in phoenix.  Not leaving.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : yeah, forgot to mention him, would be a great fit here
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

Doan  and his family are entrenched in phoenix.  Not leaving.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": Well thought out response. I should have guessed, I don't have enough time to get to 1000+ posts, so my opinion isn't worth much. I don't blame you, there isn't much of a response to the argument that the bruins won last year despite Lucic and that they were one goal removed from moving on to the next round despite his negative output this year. If your going to play sloppy, not skate, not get back defensively, not hit and then proceed take the occasional bad penalty, fine, but at least put the puck in the net. These threads about not mixing the team and god forbid making a trade are hilarious. I have a great idea let's use the same formula next year, look where it got this year. And let's make sure we leave cap room for the guy who is perceived to be one of the best power forwards in the league, but hangs em up come playoff time. The homerism on this board is laughable.
    Posted by Onthe405[/QUOTE]
    Everything you've written was wrong. It's not the number of your posts that make them worthless. It's the fact that they have no worth. The minute you accused Lucic of not hitting your credibility went out the window(7games-30 hits). Talking about his "bad penalties" only made you look worse as Lucic only had the Bruins short-handed twice in a 7 game series. Listen, if you want to show up on the hockey board to pretend you know that sport too than you need to brush up on the basics first. Just simply repeating the same crap you heard from KPD and Fluto won't get it done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There isn't much on the UFA market now and there will be less by July.  That means every GM will be chasing Parise and Suter with very little in the way of a back-up plan, and if Nashville gets deep this year, don't be as certain that Suter will actually come available.  Ditto Jersey signing Parise if they take out the Flyers.

More on the SanDog side of the conversation, I'm looking at the season and wondering how much different things might have been if they played Caron all season or if they played a Camper or even, yes, Hamill for the entire year.  They probably are still hunting for Rolston and maybe another vet at the deadline, but did Pouliot make enough of a difference to justify not riding out the curve with an AHLer all year?  I don't think so, and I wouldn't mind seeing them try to bring in the best one guy among the prospects for the year - or at least to the deadline if they feel they can upgrade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

In response to "Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent?": [QUOTE]I mentioned before the trade deadline that we still had not replaced the golden scoring touch of M.Ryder, or the PP grit of Recchi, and at the time Horton had just recently being concussed a second time by that rat in Philly. So. Who would you like to see land in a Bruin jersey this July 1st ? Unless of coarse your of the thought that we don't need a goal scoring forward. I believe we have enough cap room to make a play on someone. I'm just wondering who ? Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE] Someone who can put the puck in the net

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be on the phone to Columbus right now floating Thomas+Lucic and a pick for  Nash. Yes, I am serious.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

something to that affect would be great, would rather see it be krejci and let seguin play 1st line c, then we finally have alegit 1st line/pp

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think the B's don't need any crazy tweaks up front.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I still don't get how paying for a Parise or nash in favor of Krejci and TT blows this thing up?  TT is on the way out, this year or next, it's the reality of a 40 year old goalie.  Krejci would be the only core guy gone, but if you resign Kelly and have a guy like Nash or Parise playing LW on 1st line and your PP, it makes us muchhhhh better and adds a dimension to this already great nucleus that would make us a wrecking machine.  Still have Rask, bergy, marchand, kelly, pev, lucic, seguin, seids, boychuck, z on and on.  Add a legit PP threat and two scorers/offensive talents (I count a 3rd huge 3rd season from the kid next yr) to our already cup nucleus, look out.  Did I forget to mention dougie coming?  Oh ya him too.

It won't hamstring us on the cap, we have the room, and I would pay up an additional 1.5$M for parise over krejci ALL day, especially when we would have bergy seguin kelly as the three guys up the middle without krejci.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I want PC to do all he can to bring in Suter. We already saw what happens when a hole happens on this team. If Z goes down for a length of time (he'll be 34) next season. Suter would NEVER replace Z, but he could help stop the bleeding. Just as a lot of us say they like having TT & Rask together. The B's don't have that same luxury on the back end. Pay Suter $5 mill & bring him in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I don't think the cap is going to be an issue in order for PC to fix what ails the Bruins. If he wants to be bold, and he did specifically mention the trade market in his post-season comments, we have chips and the cap space to make things happen.
    My thoughts (prefaced by the fact there are no players on the team that I don't like and many that I like more than they deserve sometimes!):
    1. PC needs to figure out if he can get Looch to play like he did in 08-09 or send him packing. I love him when he is being a physical intimidator and devastating fore-checker with an occasional goal. I'd take 17 goals and 25 assists every day if he stopped shying away from the dirty areas and just play his game. Is it motivation? Is it being weary of the pounding he needs to take in order to be effective? I dont know, but Im getting weary of his "needs to find his game" mantra.
    2. PC needs to figure out if DK can be replaced by Seguin. And if so, make a trade to get cap space/a proven young wing in return. There is no difference between them defensively and Seguin's upside is astronimically higher. Seguin-Bergy-Kelly/Spooner/Knight is strong enough up the middle for me.
    3. Hamilton- Is he ready? The kid could single-handedly be the answer for what ails the defense. A top four of Chara, Seids, Boychuck, Hamilton is filthy. If he's not ready defensively, pair him with Seids on the second pairing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would not go after any big names until we know how healthy Horton will be. Resign Paille Kelly Rask and Zanon ( affordable d man already in the Bruins system)
    Maybe a vet for the third line Whitney pending how much he will want Kelly Peverly can be good secondary scoring line.
    Trade Thomas even though I like him time for Rask to step up and be our number one and he is a better positional goalie

Lucic Krejci Seguin
    Marchand Bergy Horton
    Whitney Kelly Peverly
    Paille Campbell Thorn Caron

Chara Boys Ference Sieds McQuiad Zanon Hamilton

Rask and Kudo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think this team needs to assess where Horton is before they make big decisions.  People loved to point out turning points of the season like TT's fiasco or the Vancouver game, but to me this team changed overnight with the loss of Horton, even though he wasnt playing all that well.

You cannot remove a 30ish goal scoring presence off this team without hurting the lineup up and down the roster. Think they would have liked to see him on the ice in the double OT loss, OT elimination or throughout the obnoxious 1-0 games?  And dont get me started on the PP.

They have some cap room. I think Parise is a great player, but Im hearing he wants to live in Minnesota. Id love a Nash or even an Iginla, whose intangibles would be a nice addition to this team. Im willing to lose some nice players like Kelly or Krejci to put together a package for a serious offensive threat.

Speaking of Krejci, interesting comment about "getting players who show up for playoffs."  Last year DK was, uh, pretty good, eh? This year he was invisible, like say, the first round last year.  Not so sure IDing "playoff guys" is so easy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I want PC to do all he can to bring in Suter. We already saw what happens when a hole happens on this team. If Z goes down for a length of time (he'll be 34) next season. Suter would NEVER replace Z, but he could help stop the bleeding. Just as a lot of us say they like having TT & Rask together. The B's don't have that same luxury on the back end. Pay Suter $5 mill & bring him in.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Every shift Suter took in the Wings' series I was envisioning him in black and gold.

Pricey, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]I would not go after any big names until we know how healthy Horton will be. Resign Paille Kelly Rask and Zanon ( affordable d man already in the Bruins system) Maybe a vet for the third line Whitney pending how much he will want Kelly Peverly can be good secondary scoring line. Trade Thomas even though I like him time for Rask to step up and be our number one and he is a better positional goalie Lucic Krejci Seguin Marchand Bergy Horton Whitney Kelly Peverly Paille Campbell Thorn Caron Chara Boys Ference Sieds McQuiad Zanon Hamilton Rask and Kudo
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

Whitney had a 77 pts season this year and you think he would play on the 3rd line? He would have been the team leader on the B's this year by 10 pts!!! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Suter....  too bad at least half of the league's interested too....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"Suter....  too bad at least half of the league's interested too...."

See, that is kind of the point. You can bring in a stud, but you'd better be prepared to pay through the nose to do so.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think this team needs to assess where Horton is before they make big decisions.  People loved to point out turning points of the season like TT's fiasco or the Vancouver game, but to me this team changed overnight with the loss of Horton, even though he wasnt playing all that well. You cannot remove a 30ish goal scoring presence off this team without hurting the lineup up and down the roster. Think they would have liked to see him on the ice in the double OT loss, OT elimination or throughout the obnoxious 1-0 games?  And dont get me started on the PP. They have some cap room. I think Parise is a great player, but Im hearing he wants to live in Minnesota. Id love a Nash or even an Iginla, whose intangibles would be a nice addition to this team. Im willing to lose some nice players like Kelly or Krejci to put together a package for a serious offensive threat. Speaking of Krejci, interesting comment about "getting players who show up for playoffs."  Last year DK was, uh, pretty good, eh? This year he was invisible, like say, the first round last year.  Not so sure IDing "playoff guys" is so easy.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    Actually Sox, I thought Horton had just started to find his game when that happenned. Even with a slow start he had 17 goals (which was still on pace for 30). You're absolutely right that PC needs to figure out where Horton's at physically before deciding on what to do moving forward.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Should the Bruins Target as a Free Agent? : Actually Sox, I thought Horton had just started to find his game when that happenned. Even with a slow start he had 17 goals (which was still on pace for 30). You're absolutely right that PC needs to figure out where Horton's at physically before deciding on what to do moving forward.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yes, but when it comes to concussion issues, that's almost impossible...meaning Horton could say "I feel great--let's play", and then 5 games into the season he takes a big hit from someone and it's Marc Savard redux.  Bergeron's return to form notwithstanding, concussion issues are the hardest to evaluate.

The more I think about it the more i'd like to see PC roll the dice and deal TT once his trade clause expires(only if) he can bring in high powered offensive talent i.e. parise or Nash.

Otherwise, shore up some "depth" guys like they;'re talking about in the papers....but if this team is really going to compete for the Cup again they need either Horton to return to his old form or get a guy who can be that go-to sniper in crunch time. Nash* would look beyond good in a spoked B and I'd be willing to part w/TT and Lucic (very disappointed in his performance w./the exception of one pass to Seguin) to get him.

*would also be WAY more motivated to win a Cup than Looch at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Personally. I don't think it a wise move to trade TT. Why ? Personally, I don't believe in Rask, yet. And if you trade away TT, the Bruins will need a lot more pop in their offence to get W's on the column if Rask isn't the goalie with think he could be.