Why I love being a Bruins fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Why I love being a Bruins fan

1. Not many, myself included, expect any NHL team to make it to the Cup Finals every year. It's simply too difficult to accomplish regardless of the talent (ask the Penguins). It only happens when you will yourself to wins over the other team. The fact that this is the 2nd Finals run in 3 years is a blessing, and the games have all been incredibly entertaining to boot.

2. Rask had huge skates to fill, and has done everything he possibly can to help raise another banner to the rafters. A 1.83 GAA and .941 SV% is amazing, especially when there are a couple high-scoring games sprinkled in to raise those numbers.

3. Bruins HOFers don't come along often, and I believe we are witnessing first-hand the careers of two numbers that will one day be retired at the Garden: #33 and #37.

4. This year started with a lockout. There were many times when I didn't think hockey was going to be played at all. Now we get to watch our team battle the season's presumptive best team and force them to the bitter end of every game they play.

5. This might be the last time we see Ference and Horton in the Black & Gold. Two players who wear the jersey with pride and were key contributors to the 2011 Cup.

6. Julien is a great coach for this team. Never too high; never too low. Doesn't waste his time tinkering with lines all season aimlessly, but unafraid to make changes when it matters most. Inserting Soderberg for Daug and splitting Chara and Seids for the 3rd last night just more examples that he gets this team, and is hugely underrated.

7. Lucic has proven during these playoffs that the investment is worth every penny. Glad to know he's on "our" team for years to come.

8. When Vancouver lost, the fans had countless reasons why (but none were "we got beat by a better team"). Oh, and they burned their city. When NJ lost, the fans...well, they don't have fans. When Philly lost, the fans blamed injuries. If Boston loses, it'll because Chicago is the better team over 7 games. I love that about these guys...no excuses. And Bruins fans? They'll have a final drink, tip their cap to the Blackhawks, be upset for a few days, then move on. Just like the team they root for.

9. Lucic, Krejci, Chara, Marchand, Seguin, Horton, Seidenberg and of course Rask. Any one of these guys can put the team on their back and single-handedly will them to a Game 6 victory. More importantly, guys like Kelly, Ference, Boychuck, Jagr, Paille and Peverly could make it so nobody has to put the team on their back at all. There are so many potential heroes in that locker room. Get your popcorn ready.

10. No matter what happens Monday night....Neely, Chiarelli and Julien have this team situated so that it can all happen again next year. There are very, very few teams that can say that....and it makes me appreciate my own emotional and financial investment in this team even more. They pay it back every year in spades.

Who's got the #11 reason?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Why I love being a Bruins fan

#11, would be #11..Broken leg and continues to play on. What being a Bruins is all about and why I'm proud to be a Bruin fan. We get to a game 7, would love to see Claude trot him in and have him give the B's a little get up and go speech.

Great post asmaha, agree with everything you said 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

#12 this current group of bruins had made me proud of the bruins logo tatoo I got when I was 18 years old and the team was awful that year. Win or lose this series this a bruins team and one the fans should be very proud of. They are keeping the bruins legacy alive today of working hard and sticking up for eachother. I have even come around to love the coach unreal!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

1. Not many, myself included, expect any NHL team to make it to the Cup Finals every year. It's simply too difficult to accomplish regardless of the talent (ask the Penguins). It only happens when you will yourself to wins over the other team. The fact that this is the 2nd Finals run in 3 years is a blessing, and the games have all been incredibly entertaining to boot.

2. Rask had huge skates to fill, and has done everything he possibly can to help raise another banner to the rafters. A 1.83 GAA and .941 SV% is amazing, especially when there are a couple high-scoring games sprinkled in to raise those numbers.

3. Bruins HOFers don't come along often, and I believe we are witnessing first-hand the careers of two numbers that will one day be retired at the Garden: #33 and #37.

4. This year started with a lockout. There were many times when I didn't think hockey was going to be played at all. Now we get to watch our team battle the season's presumptive best team and force them to the bitter end of every game they play.

5. This might be the last time we see Ference and Horton in the Black & Gold. Two players who wear the jersey with pride and were key contributors to the 2011 Cup.

6. Julien is a great coach for this team. Never too high; never too low. Doesn't waste his time tinkering with lines all season aimlessly, but unafraid to make changes when it matters most. Inserting Soderberg for Daug and splitting Chara and Seids for the 3rd last night just more examples that he gets this team, and is hugely underrated.

7. Lucic has proven during these playoffs that the investment is worth every penny. Glad to know he's on "our" team for years to come.

8. When Vancouver lost, the fans had countless reasons why (but none were "we got beat by a better team"). Oh, and they burned their city. When NJ lost, the fans...well, they don't have fans. When Philly lost, the fans blamed injuries. If Boston loses, it'll because Chicago is the better team over 7 games. I love that about these guys...no excuses. And Bruins fans? They'll have a final drink, tip their cap to the Blackhawks, be upset for a few days, then move on. Just like the team they root for.

9. Lucic, Krejci, Chara, Marchand, Seguin, Horton, Seidenberg and of course Rask. Any one of these guys can put the team on their back and single-handedly will them to a Game 6 victory. More importantly, guys like Kelly, Ference, Boychuck, Jagr, Paille and Peverly could make it so nobody has to put the team on their back at all. There are so many potential heroes in that locker room. Get your popcorn ready.

10. No matter what happens Monday night....Neely, Chiarelli and Julien have this team situated so that it can all happen again next year. There are very, very few teams that can say that....and it makes me appreciate my own emotional and financial investment in this team even more. They pay it back every year in spades.

Fantastic post!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

My feelings exactly Asmaha, great post!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This is one of the best threads in a long time. I have to bump it up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

because the greatest hockey player in history played all but twenty games of his career with the B'S and i was around to witness it....  feel sorry for those who didn't get the chance....

as good a reason as any....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

#13 "Unsung Heroes" Paille has shown no matter who you are you or what line you play on, you can shine. The Bruins version of "Charlie Hustle" has shown what hard work and hustle can do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

because I don't want to be fan of a team that has players who feel the need to call out B's players just because they are jealous of the way the B's do things or jealous of the B's top players, and don't have the class and integrity that the current B's franchise carries.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

#14 Because black and gold never quit!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ayup!  A real fan (fanatic) is positive not negative about the Bs.  Great post!

In response to asmaha's comment:

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Opps, #11 or whatever, the Bs have captured the heart and souls of NE fans etc. as their play is witnessed in many not a few.  Some will step up their game.  To think otherwise would be a loser.  

Don't judge me monkey!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

#15.  "the cult" that dominates this board.  

Best thread of the year.  Hands down.  Everytime i start to doubt something about this team i look at the overall picture.  Its awesome.  my favorite moment of the year was campy playing on a broken leg killing that penalty with the rowdy boston crowd cheering him on.  Its giving me goosebumps typing it.  Im gonna go watch it again.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

#16: Because they play the game the way it is meant to be played: Like men. No whining and no diving. They win, it's because they played and won as a team. They lose: it's not the referees fault or the opposition did this or that.... it's because they lost as a team.

For that, I have always been and always will be a Bruins fan. And for this reason, I say this series will go 7 games!

GO BRUINS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I take great pride in being a Bruins fan.  It's not something I do, it's who I am.  I didn't choose it, I was born into it.  I often wear gear of other teams.  I have shirts and jerseys and hats from teams all across the NHL, AHL and European leagues.  (Note:  I've never worn anything of the Habs.)  I have a cool Whalers t-shirt or two, some Leafs stuff, Dallas, LA, Colorado...whatever it is, if it's NHL, I like it.  (Second note:  I recently passed on a $5 Blue Jackets t-shirt, I just couldn't do it.)

Sometimes when people see me with another team's gear on, they'll ask why it isn't Bruins.  I have two answers at the ready.

1.  I love hockey.  My favorite team is the B's, but that doesnt' mean I can't enjoy Calgary or Detroit.

2.  People often wear their team's gear to let everyone know who they support.  I don't.  Everyone knows I'm black and gold to the bone.

My point here is that I love being a Bruins fan because that's all I've ever known.  Good time and (mostly) bad, it's all I know.  They might as well have put it on my birth certificate.

Name:  Not-A-Shot

DOB:  xx-xx-xxxx

City of Birth:  Boston

Affiliation:  Bruins

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I take great pride in being a Bruins fan.  It's not something I do, it's who I am.  I didn't choose it, I was born into it.  I often wear gear of other teams.  I have shirts and jerseys and hats from teams all across the NHL, AHL and European leagues.  (Note:  I've never worn anything of the Habs.)  I have a cool Whalers t-shirt or two, some Leafs stuff, Dallas, LA, Colorado...whatever it is, if it's NHL, I like it.  (Second note:  I recently passed on a $5 Blue Jackets t-shirt, I just couldn't do it.)

Sometimes when people see me with another team's gear on, they'll ask why it isn't Bruins.  I have two answers at the ready.

1.  I love hockey.  My favorite team is the B's, but that doesnt' mean I can't enjoy Calgary or Detroit.

2.  People often wear their team's gear to let everyone know who they support.  I don't.  Everyone knows I'm black and gold to the bone.

My point here is that I love being a Bruins fan because that's all I've ever known.  Good time and (mostly) bad, it's all I know.  They might as well have put it on my birth certificate.

Another good post other than owning leafs' stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I wear stuff from other teams as well. I have jerseys but i generally dont wear them. Lots of t-shirts of Nugent-Hopkins, Erik Karlsson etc...I have a Carey Price t-shirt in every color, always wear them. I love when people say something to me about the Price shirts. I always playfully ask them to name 2 of the Bruins draft choices from last year. That usually ends it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

I wear stuff from other teams as well. I have jerseys but i generally dont wear them. Lots of t-shirts of Nugent-Hopkins, Erik Karlsson etc...I have a Carey Price t-shirt in every color, always wear them. I love when people say something to me about the Price shirts. I always playfully ask them to name 2 of the Bruins draft choices from last year. That usually ends it.

[/QUOTE]

I like Carey Price even though he plays for the hated Habs.  He seems like a cool guy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Excellent thread, excellent responses.  I have so much in common with many of you here, which is what makes this fun even though this place could just as easily be an insane asylum.

It hasn't always been roses being a fan of this team of course, which is exactly why I come off as such an optimist around here.  I can't comprehend how the complainers carry on given how good and entertaining the current product is compared to past years.  The last five years have been fantastic, with nothing but blue skies ahead as far as I can see.  I was such a malcontent during the Dave Lewis tenure, you wouldn't even recognize me.  These are the gravy years for anyone except the most fairweather pink hats.

I'm an overall hockey fan too.  I go to about a dozen Avs game a year and enjoy them (but when Boston comes to town everyone knows what's up).  Season tickets to Denver U. and annual trips to Air Force and Colorado College.  I grew up going to a lot of Whaler games too.  But my heart has been black and gold since I pretended I was Ray Bourque in the driveway.

This year has been great too.  Another run at the Cup while our most bitter rivals either had spectacular flame-outs before we could get to them (Montreal, Vancouver) or had their season's ended by the Black and Gold (Tor, NYR, Pittsburgh).  How great is that?

And the best is coming this week!  I believe that.  I'm keeping the calendar free and clear Wednesday night and expecting to limp into work late Thursday with a glorious Cup hangover.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

And lest we forget, good things come to those who have faith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjVQP4FQak

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

I was a Leafs fan when they were in the Campbell.  When they changed and came to the east, I was torn.  Do I throw out my stuff?  What do I do?

Fortunately, they've been God-awful since their arrival, so it's been okay!

When I go to Panthers games, I have a Panthers hat that I wear.  If it's a big game (Habs, Leafs, NYR, TB) I wear the jersey as well.  When the B's played down there, however, I ditched all Panthers gear and went all Bergeron.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Awesome post, Fletcher.  Glad you are part of the gang.

It is really odd to me (and you and many others) that people complain during a Cup run like this.  How many years did we watch one-and-done or nothing because they didn't even qualify?  Second round appearances, Cup appearances?  I love it.  I don't watch games in November thinking, "If this team doesn't win the Cup, I'm done.  Done I tell you.  Done!"  I watch because I love hockey and the B's are the team I follow.

Win or lose tomorrow or Wednesday, it's been a fantastic season.

Go Bruins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was a Leafs fan when they were in the Campbell.  When they changed and came to the east, I was torn.  Do I throw out my stuff?  What do I do?

Fortunately, they've been God-awful since their arrival, so it's been okay!

When I go to Panthers games, I have a Panthers hat that I wear.  If it's a big game (Habs, Leafs, NYR, TB) I wear the jersey as well.  When the B's played down there, however, I ditched all Panthers gear and went all Bergeron.

[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff NAS.  No I don't expect you to throw out the leafs' stuff.  My issue with the leafs is being a Bruins fan in "leafs nation"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Excellent thread, excellent responses.  I have so much in common with many of you here, which is what makes this fun even though this place could just as easily be an insane asylum.

It hasn't always been roses being a fan of this team of course, which is exactly why I come off as such an optimist around here.  I can't comprehend how the complainers carry on given how good and entertaining the current product is compared to past years.  The last five years have been fantastic, with nothing but blue skies ahead as far as I can see.  I was such a malcontent during the Dave Lewis tenure, you wouldn't even recognize me.  These are the gravy years for anyone except the most fairweather pink hats.

I'm an overall hockey fan too.  I go to about a dozen Avs game a year and enjoy them (but when Boston comes to town everyone knows what's up).  Season tickets to Denver U. and annual trips to Air Force and Colorado College.  I grew up going to a lot of Whaler games too.  But my heart has been black and gold since I pretended I was Ray Bourque in the driveway.

This year has been great too.  Another run at the Cup while our most bitter rivals either had spectacular flame-outs before we could get to them (Montreal, Vancouver) or had their season's ended by the Black and Gold (Tor, NYR, Pittsburgh).  How great is that?

And the best is coming this week!  I believe that.  I'm keeping the calendar free and clear Wednesday night and expecting to limp into work late Thursday with a glorious Cup hangover.

Denver getting Jim Montgomery as its new head coach really hurt us Maineahs as we thought he was comming back to maine to lead us back to national prominence Denver got a good coach! Red Gendron will proove to be a good choice for my blackbears I think though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

I only own bruins stuff but I must admit I love seeing the Whalers stuff i guess it just takes me back to my youth and the old adams divison days :)