Why the realignment?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Why the realignment?

In response to Wheatskins's comment:

The league is also adding 2 wild card spots in each conference - to bilk more money from the fans.

This move renders the regular season totally meaningless and useless. Whoopie, after an 82 game schedule, only 2 teams in each conference don't make the play-offs.

A team can take weeks and months off, at a time, a few times a year, and still get in. I  reckon teams won't even bother breaking a sweat most nights. Wow! Thanks NHL. If you don't look out for me, who will?

I think you misunderstood the Wild card system being proposed - in the Eastern Conference 8 teams won't make it, in the West 6 won't - still 16 out of 30, same as now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Although it does mean winning the conference division as important, more time to rest.  The playoffs are a long haul.  If the wild card playoffs were reduced to a 3 or 5 game schedule it would be even more competitive and may eliminate the NYRangers/Philly debacle from a few years ago just as a side note.  Overall I agree the regular season is a yawn at 80 games.....this year is different.  

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

The league is also adding 2 wild card spots in each conference - to bilk more money from the fans.

This move renders the regular season totally meaningless and useless. Whoopie, after an 82 game schedule, only 2 teams in each conference don't make the play-offs.

A team can take weeks and months off, at a time, a few times a year, and still get in. I  reckon teams won't even bother breaking a sweat most nights. Wow! Thanks NHL. If you don't look out for me, who will?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wheats and isla, to clarify, under the current Wild Card proposal, there would not be a wild card playoff. Rather, the top three teams in each division would make it, with the next two best record teams in the conference making it, with the top division winner playing the lowest wild card, and the second best division winner playing the better wild card team.

Under the proposed system, the playoffs based on today's standings would look like

East

Atlantic

Pitts vs. Detroit (Detroit would move over from the Central on the Wildcard)

NJ vs. Philly

Central

Montreal vs. Toronto 

Boston vs. Ottawa

West

Mid-west

Chicago vs. San Jose (SJ would be the weaker wild card team s they'd play Chicago and move over from the Pacific)

Nashville vs. St. Louis

Pacific

Anaheim vs. Dallas (Dallas would move over from the Midwest on the Wildcard)

Vancouver vs. LA

The winners of each division series would then play each other, with the winners of those playing the conference final.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Illitch is pushing the move for Detroit and he will probably get his way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Wheatskins' comment:

I disagree that the regular season is meaningless and useless not matter what the playoff format is.

I am super pumped to watch the game tonight, and am on most occasions.  I hate missing any game.  I look forward to them all day long.  My view won't change on this, even if all teams got in.  It's fun to watch hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

From PuckDaddy:

Ilya Kovlachuk's not so into realignment. “For us I don’t think it makes any sense to change it,” Kovalchuk said. “We have a great division with good travel for all the teams in our division. A lot of rivalry games.”

---

Turns out New Jersey isn't the only team in the league, Ilya.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Fist off, there's no reason on this fine earth of ours why the new realingment shouldn't be called the Cambell and Wales Conferences, then Smythe-Norris-Adams-Patrick. The geographical names, as we know, don't fit. That said, I am 100% for a balanced schedule and 1-16 playoff.

Let's make it easy for the NHL, and with using their new proposed alignment:

Smythe: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Norris: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Patrick: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, NYI, NYR, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Adams: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto

For the Western Conference (call it Campbell already!)

4 divisional games = 24

4 intra-conference games = 24

2 cross-conference home and home = 32

2 special event games: outdoors, rivalry day, in Europe, whatever

= 82 games

For the Eastern Conference (Prince of Wales, of course)

4 divisional games = 28

3 intra-conference games = 24 (this adjusts for the fact that there are 2 more teams in the Wales Conf)

2 cross-conference home and home = 28

2 special event games: outdoors, rivalry day, in Europe, whatever

= 82 games

Playoffs

Top 8 Teams from the East make the playoffs (half)

Top 7 Teams from the West make the playoffs (half so it's fair)

Remaining team from either conference with the best overall record is the Wild Card, and plays as the 8 seed in the West.

RD1 standard 1-8 format: West 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 | East 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5

RD2: standard Conference semifinal format. Re-seed teams and play 1-4, 2-3

RD3: Here's where you have fun. Re-seed the final 4 and play 1-4, 2-3 regardless of conference. This allows for a Cup Final that can be two teams from the same conference, while still maintaining the integrity of conference play in the earlier rounds. By now, you should have the top 4 teams in the league anyway.

RD4: Last 2 standing

Here's how it would look if ended today, although obviously not everyone has played the same # of games:

(1)Montreal- (8)Carolina, (2)Boston-(7)Detroit, (3)Ottawa-(6)New Jersey, (4)Pittsburgh-(5)Toronto

(1)Chicago-(8wc)San Jose, (2)Anaheim-(7)Minnesota, (3)Vancouver-(6)Los Angeles, (4)Nashville-(5)St. Louis

Let's bring this though purely on current standings:

(1)Montreal-(4)Pittsburgh, (2)Boston-(3)Ottawa

(1)Chicago-(4)Nashville, (2)Anaheim-(3)Vancouver

And now the fun part for the Semis:

(1)Chicago-(4)Boston, (2)Anaheim-(3)Montreal

With upsets and the natural flow of things, who wouldn't want to see BOS-MTL for the Cup, or CHI-VAN, SJ-ANA, PIT-PHI, DET-CHI, PIT-BOS or any other great matchup?

8. This post has been removed.