will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Re: will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton

In Response to Re: will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton:
    [QUOTE]I think we have some overly optimistic fans that are in denial over the loss of our best clutch player so far in these playoffs... Horton has delivered the big goals when needed and now he will be lost for the remainder (and with all due respect to Seguin, he is not ready to step up.) Bruins lose in 5 now regardless of suspension to Rome. I hope Horton is all right.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE] It sounds like you are overly pessimistic .Sure losing Horton is a blow but he didn't play that well the first two games in Vancouver in my opinion .Who knows how the next game will play out .We just trounced them 8-1 .That calls for some optimism doesn't it ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

[QUOTE]Horton is one of our best players.  But with our style of play along with the depth we have at forward, I think we can weather it.  I would start with: Lucic - Bergeron - Recchi  Marchand - Krejci - Seguin Ryder - Kelly - Peverley Paille - Campbell - Thornton Lucic and Marchand are interchangeable, but I'm leaning towards this.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]

I say keep all lines the same and put Seguin on the 1st line with DK and Lucic.  His speed could make that line unbelievable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

According to WBZ news tonight, Horton was said to have been able to move his arms, legs, fingers, and toes, which is a great sign. They still do not know the extent of the damage but it is not the worst case scenario based on how they carried him off the ice.
     No word on if a concussion is involved, either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely 100% should be suspended - MINIMALLY the rest of the series.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4jnuOfDFXI I've watched this replay like 20 times 1) That was text book hit from the blind side. 2) The rule has always been the guy is fair game until the other guy gets the puck, so it was also interference. 3) He was targetting the head. 4) He * WOULD * has left his feet, except Horton's head prevented him from getting air.  In other words he was jumping up into Horton's head. 5) At the 53 second mark it is clearest that he took 5 strides to get to Horton, so it was premeditated by those 5 strides as there was no other reason to be moving that way other than to hit Horton. They have to suspend him for that.  If not, then the Bruins are just about forced into the old 1970's street justice thing and that's exactly what the NHL is trying to avoid.  The NHL already blew it with the Burrow's bite, if they don't enforce this one, then they become more of a farce than they already are about this kind of thing.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Obviously, as a Canuck fan, I'm going to see things a bit differently.  Here's what I saw:

Horton makes a pass, then stares at it -- he doesn't take his eyes off the pass, even though he's crossing the blue line.  I think CJ made a remark earlier this season, when he said that players "need to think about protecting themselves", when a Bruin concussed an opposing player (I don't remember the exact incident, but I remember CJ's quote). 

The only reason the hit is "blind" is because Horton is staring at the pass.  If he looks back IN HIS DIRECTION OF TRAVEL, then he sees Rome right there, and either avoids the hit , or braces himself for it.  In no way, shape or form, is this a "blindside hit".  It comes from directly in front of him.

Rome doesn't "take 5 strides";  that's flat out ludicrous.  Watch the tape -- he's skating backwards, then actually comes to a stop, and takes ONE STEP towards Horton, and hits him WITH HIS SHOULDER.  No "chicken wing".  It's clearly his shoulder.  For some reason, just before the hit, Horton drops down in his skating stride, bringing his head down.

The injury occurs when Horton's head hits the ice.  Because he didn't see the hit coming, the impact was severe. I think that the docs, if asked, will say that the concussion came as a result of a blow to the BACK of the head (when he hit the ice) rather than from the front (due to Rome's hit).

Rome isn't a dirty player. He has no 'history' with the NHL's supplemental discipline office.  If he gets a suspension, which I don't think he should, it will be one game.

Obviously, I'm glad that to hear that Horton's OK, and that he'll likely be released from the hospital tomorrow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

I just watched the Ulf hit on Cam and the Cooke hit on Savard.  I hope this doesn't fall into the same category.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Anything less than the rest of the series is BS to me.

It was late, it was intentional, it was dirty.

If this isn't the kind of hit that the league wants to get rid of, I don't know what Rule 48 is for.

If Vancouver wins the cup, it's forever tainted in my mind.

I'm sick to my stomach and can't sleep cause I see people on other boards trying to defend it. Best equivalent is the Paille hit and I felt the same way then. Difference is, Rome targeted (IMO).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And if that was a north south hit, I need to get a lesson on what north and south are.

Anyone who thinks the Bs will just chug along without Horton is kidding themselves. With Lucic injured and Horton gone, there is no first line anymore, just a couple second lines.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton : Obviously, as a Canuck fan, I'm going to see things a bit differently.  Here's what I saw: Horton makes a pass, then stares at it -- he doesn't take his eyes off the pass, even though he's crossing the blue line.  I think CJ made a remark earlier this season, when he said that players "need to think about protecting themselves", when a Bruin concussed an opposing player (I don't remember the exact incident, but I remember CJ's quote).  The only reason the hit is "blind" is because Horton is staring at the pass.  If he looks back IN HIS DIRECTION OF TRAVEL, then he sees Rome right there, and either avoids the hit , or braces himself for it.  In no way, shape or form, is this a "blindside hit".  It comes from directly in front of him. Rome doesn't "take 5 strides";  that's flat out ludicrous.  Watch the tape -- he's skating backwards, then actually comes to a stop, and takes ONE STEP towards Horton, and hits him WITH HIS SHOULDER.  No "chicken wing".  It's clearly his shoulder.  For some reason, just before the hit, Horton drops down in his skating stride, bringing his head down. The injury occurs when Horton's head hits the ice.  Because he didn't see the hit coming, the impact was severe. I think that the docs, if asked, will say that the concussion came as a result of a blow to the BACK of the head (when he hit the ice) rather than from the front (due to Rome's hit). Rome isn't a dirty player. He has no 'history' with the NHL's supplemental discipline office.  If he gets a suspension, which I don't think he should, it will be one game. Obviously, I'm glad that to hear that Horton's OK, and that he'll likely be released from the hospital tomorrow.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

It was more south east then north south, also he took 2 full strides before lunging into him like a linebacker. Even if you take all that out of the equation, Theres a lot wrong with that hit. Il start  with the obvious and say its a blow to the head. Just because its his shoulder doesn't make a difference, intentional blow to the head is a blow to the head. Rome knowingly put his shoulder into the side of Hortons head. Rome also clearly knew Horton couldn't see him, In fact he stepped up and made that hit knowing fully well that he didn't. To me thats the definition of a blindside and you could take intent to injure out of that as well.   So we have a charge, a blindside hit or blow to the head, (Id say both) and a late hit with intent to injure....Thats some easy math to me

The other hit your referring to is the Bergeron hit, and that was 100% Bergy's fault. THAT hit came from north south and Bergie SHOULD have seen him.

In a way I fully understand what your going through. Its called denial. When the team we love has players that do certain things we try to justify it. Its what fans do, we support our team. Unfortunately facts are facts and like it or not this is a suspend-able hit, all intent aside. Its just from my point of view he intentionally tried to hurt Horton and I doubt Im in the minority on that one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

[QUOTE]And if that was a north south hit, I need to get a lesson on what north and south are. Anyone who thinks the Bs will just chug along without Horton is kidding themselves. With Lucic injured and Horton gone, there is no first line anymore, just a couple second lines.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Dont count that Ryder Krejci chemistry out!! They only need to find enough magic to get 3 more wins! And now they have all the reasons in the world after the last three games to leave it all out there. This team thrives on emotion and they just gave our team every reason to bring it to the max.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton : It was more south east then north south, also he took 2 full strides before lunging into him like a linebacker. Even if you take all that out of the equation, Theres a lot wrong with that hit. Il start  with the obvious and say its a blow to the head. Just because its his shoulder doesn't make a difference, intentional blow to the head is a blow to the head. Rome knowingly put his shoulder into the side of Hortons head. Rome also clearly knew Horton couldn't see him, In fact he stepped up and made that hit knowing fully well that he didn't. To me thats the definition of a blindside and you could take intent to injure out of that as well.   So we have a charge, a blindside hit or blow to the head, (Id say both) and a late hit with intent to injure....Thats some easy math to me   The other hit your referring to is the Bergeron hit, and that was 100% Bergy's fault. THAT hit came from north south and Bergie SHOULD have seen him. In a way I fully understand what your going through. Its called denial. When the team we love has players that do certain things we try to justify it. Its what fans do, we support our team. Unfortunately facts are facts and like it or not this is a suspend-able hit, all intent aside. Its just from my point of view he intentionally tried to hurt Horton and I doubt Im in the minority on that one.
    Posted by IShawnPI[/QUOTE]
    Awesome post. I agree with everything you've stated.
    GO BRUINS!!!!!!   3 MORE WINS!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I want him in a suit for Vancouver's last game this season, whenever that is. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I think he gets a game for drilling Horton in the head. In his defence Horton did change direction slightly to move closer and a 5/6 d-man can't let guys blow past him like that and expect to have a job when his contract is up. The problem is the manner of the hit. If it wasn't for the head shot he'd have got away with the 2 minute minor for interference.

Dunno if you guys ever watch rugby but there you have a game played by seriously tough men (and women) without all the poncy padding they have in football. Tackles around the neck/ head area are completely outlawed and incredibly rare as a result. This is all without taking anything away from the speed or toughness of the game.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]a late, blind side shot to the head absolutely should be a suspension. 2 games minimum. 
    Posted by Altus123[/QUOTE]

It wans't a 'blind shot' to the head.  It was an intentional late shot to the head.

1 game suspension if any suspension is handed out at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NHL Network Panel:
    Doug Weight: suspension, 1-3 games
    Mike Johnson: no suspension, says Chara got no suspension nothing here
    Marty Turco: no suspension, says Horton is in the "hitting zone"
    Kevin Weeks: non committal, says Rome left his feet and that concerns him

McKenzie says "No Question That Rome Suspension is Coming".
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368117

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hijoe1. Show Hijoe1's posts

Maybe the league should start a RULE that the offended team should get to PICK the player that should be suspended on a play like this. Then we could get rid of Burrows or one of the twins. I agree losing one of our top scorers for an average defenseman is not in our favor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UglyMoe. Show UglyMoe's posts

Either that, or the NHL should just tear up Rule 48 and stop whining about concussions to star players.

[QUOTE]a late, blind side shot to the head absolutely should be a suspension. 2 games minimum. 
    Posted by Altus123[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Rome should be Suspended at least 2 games if not more. Horton didn't even have the puck That is just dirty playing. But I also thought Burrows should have been suspended For BITING and NHL did nothing about that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Cancucks coach says he doesn't like his team playing dirty DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

If he was just saying that to the media  to please them But If he truelly meant that which I doubt He  should have enough Gutts when his players BITE and HIT DIRTY Bench them for the rest of the game if not longer But I guess he don't have enough Balls

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Won't shock me if he doesn't get anything, but I think he deserves multiple games. Overall, though, whatever he gets isn't really justice. Horton for Rome isn't a fair trade at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

you want teams to start taking this issue seriously? don't let the canucks replace the offender on their roster. play a man down until his suspension is up. easy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

Not sure about the hit being from the "blind side" as Rome was pretty much right in front of Horton, but two things are facts: late hit & head shot=suspension

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will ROME be suspended for cheap shot on Horton : It was more south east then north south, also he took 2 full strides before lunging into him like a linebacker. Even if you take all that out of the equation, Theres a lot wrong with that hit. Il start  with the obvious and say its a blow to the head. Just because its his shoulder doesn't make a difference, intentional blow to the head is a blow to the head. Rome knowingly put his shoulder into the side of Hortons head. Rome also clearly knew Horton couldn't see him, In fact he stepped up and made that hit knowing fully well that he didn't. To me thats the definition of a blindside and you could take intent to injure out of that as well.   So we have a charge, a blindside hit or blow to the head, (Id say both) and a late hit with intent to injure....Thats some easy math to me   The other hit your referring to is the Bergeron hit, and that was 100% Bergy's fault. THAT hit came from north south and Bergie SHOULD have seen him. In a way I fully understand what your going through. Its called denial. When the team we love has players that do certain things we try to justify it. Its what fans do, we support our team. Unfortunately facts are facts and like it or not this is a suspend-able hit, all intent aside. Its just from my point of view he intentionally tried to hurt Horton and I doubt Im in the minority on that one.
    Posted by IShawnPI[/QUOTE]

You're correct Dez,  this is well said.

As for admiring the pass BS or he has to have his head up BS .  Horton passed the puck and was looking at what Lucic was going to do .  Any good player would do this. 
    Does Horton go towards Lucic for a drop pass or does Thorton go to the net to receive the pass back from Lucic ?
    Isn't this what he did on the game winning goal against Tampa ?
    He's reading the play !!!! That's why he's not looking the other way where the puck is not (in which AHL , minor leaguers do).
    Rome might not admit it but when a player goes for hit he wants to hurt the other player and this goes for whomever does the hitting.  Be it Boychuk or Chara.  Hurt is one thing , put the guy out is another and I don't believe Rome wanted the latter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]The more I watch that replay, the worse it looks to me.  That never  happens, I almost always moderate my initial impression.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. The more you watch the tape, the more things you notice, and it surely was a "blind" hit. I also noticed that Rome maneuvered his skates at the last second to add extra power to the shot, and his eyes seem clearly focused on Horton's head. If the league officials also look at the tape several times, Rome will be gone for the series. But they will probably chicken out...like most "officials."