Wilson on Schenn...Another NHLer will be suspended

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Wilson on Schenn...Another NHLer will be suspended

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dirty Player Apologist

Free Raffi!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, hey, that reminds me - are you getting Fletch tickets to see Brian Boitano when he comes down?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

To suggest this stuff is going on because the players are stupid......is even more stupid. This forum is a group of super-enthusiasts.  Many have played the game at a high level. If we are all constantly disagreeing about what's acceptable and what isn't, how is anyone else going to figure it out at game speed.

Casual fans are getting digusted, parents are turning off on the game, and die hards like us are just sick and tired of all the hoopla about injury, supplanting the actual game.

The problem is simple.  Clarity.  The reson there's no clarity, is because no one wants to change anything, instead, sweep things under the carpet with a suspension here and there.

Although the problem is simple, changing it isn't...unless the game changes fundamentally.

I think the helmet analogy works here.  Since players started wearing helmets, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest there's been a lot more recklessness around the head area.  Today, without helmets, death would be routine in the NHL.  So, would eliminating helmets make the game safer?  Of course not.  That isn't a reasonable solution.  Can't go back.

Players are stronger, bigger, and faster than they used to be.  They're also more reckless, cuz they have to be.  They're all expected to put their face in front of a Chara slapshot if they have to, so why wouldn't they turn into the boards at the last minute to draw a 5 minute major?  That's a huge issue here, but even bigger, what to do about it.

Despite the above, players used to be on the look-out for the big hit, and take measures to avoid it.  Apparently, the culture suggests that's not an option anymore.  So...penalizing the guy going off on a stretcher(the victim), just is not a logical option, and the current system of law and order is laughable.

Players never used to "dive' til the 70's.  It was considered gay.  When the culture deemed it "smart", diving became a huge problem.  Easy fix, make it a penalty, and make it gay again.  Can't do that here.  This ones unique, cuz there are a couple root causes, and coming up with a "real' fix, constitutes changing the game somewhat, and a child should be able ti figure out what needs to happen.

The "ferocity that causes injury" has to go down.  Simple as that.  Going out on a stretcher used to be gay too.  That was only for those completely knocked out.  Is that going to change?.  No.  Medical science has advanced.  People love to see violence, they don't want to see anyone really hurt though.  When that happens, they turn pretty quick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No supplemental discipline for Wilson:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696767

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Wow. That hit was brutal. Shanny strikes again with his "zero consistency" policy. At least the fans can't say a Bruin got away with something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

You just never know where "the Wheel of Shanny" will stop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You just never know where "the Wheel of Shanny" will stop.

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't most of the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

stevegm ~ that was an excellent post .......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So...Shanny saw it pretty much exactly as I did, I guess.  Neither of these incidents warranted more than the in-game punishment they received.  (I still think Quincey got 5 and a game because Getzlaf toe-picked, but, hey, too bad Kyle.)

I would just like to say I'm sorry.  If Shanahan agrees with me, I must be totally, completely wrong.

Get a rope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NAS on Wilson's hit ...........Another opinion will be wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

NAS on Wilson's hit ...........Another opinion will be wrong.

[/QUOTE]

The return of the crap sniper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So...Shanny saw it pretty much exactly as I did, I guess.  Neither of these incidents warranted more than the in-game punishment they received.  (I still think Quincey got 5 and a game because Getzlaf toe-picked, but, hey, too bad Kyle.)

I would just like to say I'm sorry.  If Shanahan agrees with me, I must be totally, completely wrong.

Get a rope.

[/QUOTE]

I was in your/wilson corner as well. I just dont see the same violence as most.  He lined him up, delivered the hit and it had an unfortunate ending.  But it was very similar to max on boychuk.  Its impossible to predict this stuff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Guys, just stop and think.  Item C is probably the most accurate of all.  Doesn't coach Claude put Thornton on the ice the minute there is any shoving and pushing. Answer -yes he does. So, the coach is totally complicit in the continuation of this violent culture of "check to hurt" and "concussions by fighting".
         Anyone who does not know that the coaches are part of this is looking at hockey through rose colored glasses.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Get a rope.

[/QUOTE]

I was in your/wilson corner as well. I just dont see the same violence as most.  He lined him up, delivered the hit and it had an unfortunate ending.  But it was very similar to max on boychuk.  Its impossible to predict this stuff

[/QUOTE]

So what do you do?  The whole world is reacting differently to this stuff now.  Listen to the announcers again.

Is the current system of disipline working well in your eyes?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guys, just stop and think.  Item C is probably the most accurate of all.  Doesn't coach Claude put Thornton on the ice the minute there is any shoving and pushing. Answer -yes he does. So, the coach is totally complicit in the continuation of this violent culture of "check to hurt" and "concussions by fighting".
         Anyone who does not know that the coaches are part of this is looking at hockey through rose colored glasses.

[/QUOTE]

Every hockey player checks to hurt.  It's called hockey.  Destroying a guy and leaving a yard sale behind is part of the reason to play.

Maybe you should watch the NPFL (National Pillow Fighting League) or maybe you get a new Sean Avery jersey in the NPBL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dirty Player Apologist

Free Raffi!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, hey, that reminds me - are you getting Fletch tickets to see Brian Boitano when he comes down?

[/QUOTE]

Better be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Get a rope.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what do you do?  The whole world is reacting differently to this stuff now.  Listen to the announcers again.

Is the current system of disipline working well in your eyes?

[/QUOTE]

Take checking out.  It wasnt a dirty check. He hit shoulder to shoulder while schenn tried to avoid him.  He saw wilson. Take the hit.  Players hit to hurt. Thats why its called hitting. Their is intended violence in a physical sport.  Unfortunately players get hurt at times.  It stinks that every hockey hit is now reviewed.  

The current system isnt working.  I think the league is a joke.  I dont understand why it takes so long to change a rule.  Or why it takes so long to suspend someone.