Wings in the East?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Wings in the East?

Things in the Eastern Conference will get a whole lot tougher if this happens. With talk of realignment in the news lately ( at least where I live ) the question becomes who moves ? I for one would love to see more Wings vs. Bruins, Habs, NYR and Leafs ( original six matchups ). 

Here is a question and answer from The Detroit News with Mike Ilitch that suggests it could happen.

Note : I edited out the non-hockey questions .

Last Updated: September 30. 2011 5:42PM

Ilitch on the Wings: 'We're gonna have a new arena'

Q . I'd be remiss if I didn't ask about the Wings, with their season starting. Do you believe you have a Cup contender again?

A . The best way to analyze the Red Wings is, they're good, but I don't know how good. I'm reminded of this — in 1995, we were in the Stanley Cup Finals, playing the New Jersey Devils, and they had a system called the trap, and they hit us with it. I had a brilliant coach like Scotty Bowman, and Scotty couldn't figure it out. They were all trying to skate through it. So, what happens the next year? We adopt it in a hurry, and we win two Stanley Cups. We were bloodhounds.

There's a tendency to slither away from that, and a team's got to be reminded of it. You gotta come back and be 120 percent, really pay the price.

Q . When you talk about stars, you get big-time coaches — Scotty, Mike Babcock, Leyland.

A . I look for experience. Good makeup too. Scotty had the kind of makeup you couldn't figure out. (Laughs.)

Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not?

A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

Re: Wings in the East?

I wouldn't want to see Detroit in the east. We'd have 5 of the original 6 and I think that Detroit - Chicago rivalry is pretty good. Plus, I'd like to see the B's play Detroit for a cup, not a conference championship.

I think Nashville comes east.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Wings in the East?:
    [QUOTE]Things in the Eastern Conference will get a whole lot tougher if this happens. With talk of realignment in the news lately ( at least where I live ) the question becomes who moves ? I for one would love to see more Wings vs. Bruins, Habs, NYR and Leafs ( original six matchups ).  Here is a question and answer from The Detroit News with Mike Ilitch that suggests it could happen. Note : I edited out the non-hockey questions . Last Updated: September 30. 2011 5:42PM Ilitch on the Wings: 'We're gonna have a new arena' Q . I'd be remiss if I didn't ask about the Wings, with their season starting. Do you believe you have a Cup contender again? A . The best way to analyze the Red Wings is, they're good, but I don't know how good. I'm reminded of this — in 1995, we were in the Stanley Cup Finals, playing the New Jersey Devils, and they had a system called the trap, and they hit us with it. I had a brilliant coach like Scotty Bowman, and Scotty couldn't figure it out. They were all trying to skate through it. So, what happens the next year? We adopt it in a hurry, and we win two Stanley Cups. We were bloodhounds. There's a tendency to slither away from that, and a team's got to be reminded of it. You gotta come back and be 120 percent, really pay the price. Q . When you talk about stars, you get big-time coaches — Scotty, Mike Babcock, Leyland. A . I look for experience. Good makeup too. Scotty had the kind of makeup you couldn't figure out. (Laughs.) Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not? A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

//The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.//

Chowda - If this is the case, sounds like a done deal.  I'd like to think it's not an automatic ticket to the Finals should they come East. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Wings in the East?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wings in the East? : //The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.//   Chowda - If this is the case, sounds like a done deal.  I'd like to think it's not an automatic ticket to the Finals should they come East. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I also heard on the fan590 this week that there could be a chance the Red Wings wouldn't object to staying in the West if the scheduling gave them more games in the East. Travel is a big concern with them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I like having chicago and det in the west because I look forward to anytime they and the bruins play because it doesn't happen much. I used to feel the same way about the leafs but now since their in our divison it has lost its special feel since we play them alot.

Also I would hate to see the wings in east for the sole purpose I beleive they are the most consistant title contender year to year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Columbus comes East, money travel wise it's economical for the NHL. Still a fairly young organization with no real rivalries as of yet in the West. Fans of the Penguins and Blue Jackets could do some travel for occasional road games, just makes more sense to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

A few months old but some food for thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This is a tough one. I think Bettman would prefer the Wings to stay where they are, but he has to respect and consider what Illitch has to say. Detroit has been a good soldier for many years, they are a Eastern Time Zone team that plays many of its games out West, so with them playing a good number of games at 10:30 that means less people watching. If they come East, they can charge more for advertising....dont be fooled to think this has anything to do with rivalries, it's about money. Detroit can come East and build rivalries with NYR,MON,TOR and Boston real fast.

Bettman would prefer Nashville and Columbus come East because they'd sell more tickets for the first year. Bettman only thinks short term. If he thought long term, there woulld have never been the Thrashers,Panthers and there would still be a team in Quebec.

Detroit comes East.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Don't really care who comes East, as long as the Jets move west.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

kelvana has it right. It's always about the money, and Ilitch has paid his dues. The challenge of playing the Red Wings regularly will improve the play in all Eastern clubs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Red Wings attract too much in the west and generate revenue that if they'de move them to the East (where won't make a big difference financially for the NHL) would mean money loss.
    Also there's a big rivalry with Chicago that Bettman would not want to lose. One of the few in the West.
    I say Columbus gets moved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Another story on the possible move of the Wings to the East. Bob McKenzie comments this time. 

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/11/could-detroit-end-up-in-the-southeast-division-its-being-discussed/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bstn2k11. Show bstn2k11's posts

I don't understand why Nashville isn't being considered more than Detroit.  Much better fit if you ask me.