Winter Classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Winter Classic

Really!?!?!  We need to see the Flyers again!?!?!  This is getting unreal. 

Pens/Sabers
    Hawks/Wings
    Bruins/Flyers
    Pens/Caps
    Rangers/Flyers

Kind of ridiculous that we cant get some different teams in one of these.  Let me guess:

2013:  Hawks/Bruins
    2014:  Wings/Pens
    2015:  Flyers/Caps

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Winter Classic

The Heritage Classic is just as bad. Only happened twice, and so far it has been Habs/Oiler, Habs/Flames.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Winter Classic:
    [QUOTE]The Heritage Classic is just as bad. Only happened twice, and so far it has been Habs/Oiler, Habs/Flames.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

No doubt in my mind, if the NHL wants to get it right, Winnipeg should host this year's Heritage Classic. And it should be against the Leafs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There is no Heritage Classic this year, but there's supposed to be one next season. By then Winnipeg's new football stadium will be built, and I agree what teams should be in it. Toronto doesn't have an outdoor stadium big enough to host it, but the Peg will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

And Barry Melrose!?!?!  You know, I usually love the guy, but what a complete idiot today.  On the other hand, does he REALLY believe what he is saying (Flyers are the toughest team in the league now and will come out of the east again) or is he just completely talking them up so people will buy into the hype?  I gotta believe he CANT honestly think the Flyers are tougher OR better than Boston.  NO WAY!  If he does, he really is an idiot.

Either way, the Winter Classic is a REALLY cool IDEA, but seeing the Pens and Flyers now TWICE each, in only 5 games.....what a joke.  There are 30 teams in the league, and we need to see more than just the northern teams.  And especially since we have yet to see Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg or Minnesota LET ALONE Montreal or Toronto, is ridiculous.

This could have been a great way to bring Winnipeg back into the league.

But I think they royally screwed this up from the get-go by not featuring the original 6 teams in the first 3 games.  It should have been:

Boston/Montreal
    Toronto/Rangers
    Hawks/Wings

THAT would have been AMAZING!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bettman has said you won't see the Canadian clubs in the Winter Classic. That's what the Heritage Classic is for. The problem there is only 3 of the 7 cities have outdoor stadiums suitable for the Heritage game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Thats a complete joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]Thats a complete joke.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

noooooooo, its actually very smart. You realize that the winter classic is a marketing ploy right? to get more fans. and i don't think they are desperate to get more fans in canada. so it makes PERFECT sense and is not a joke at all

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

bigvig...i agree and disagree. yes, let's see some different teams. but they should be the northern teams(markets where it actually snows substantially in the winter). they are the only markets that will actually get the ratings needed for such a game.  first off, the home team HAS to be a northerly team considering it's an outside game. secondly, there's nothing "classic" about the coyotes, the panthers, sharks... ect.. i'll take two hockey-crazed northern cities anyday, over the warmer climate teams... so would the nhl, better for their pocketbooks. would nashville vs. dallas be a big draw...i don't know, but i'd much rather see calgary vs minnesota in a blizzard! i think the absence of canadian teams can be attributed to the fact there is/was a heritage classic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Agreed, but the argument is that non-hardcore fans won't tune in to watch Canadian clubs. So unless something changes, the only times e'll se the Canadian clubs outside will be in the Hertage Classic playing against other Canadian clubs in either Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg (TO's, Van's and Montreal's stadiums are all domes unsuitable for the game, and Ottawa needs a new stadium). They could have neutral site games in either Regina or Hamilton though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I can tell you this:  I didnt go out of my way to watch last years because it was the Pens again, vs. the Caps......and I surely wont go out of my way to watch this years.

HOWEVER, if it were San Jose in Minnesota with possible 0' temps or the chance of snow, Im making time to watch that game.  Theyre losing the uniqueness in my opinion, but having Pennsylvania teams 4 out of 5 games. 

If they had the Heritage classic every year as well, then I might not care as much, but the way theyre doing it now really sucks nuts.  But thats just my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

IMO, the site should be neutral. Similar to what is done in some pre-season games. Why not have the game in Hamilton and have the Red Wings vs the Kings. Or the Sharks vs the Blues, etc....

The neutral site can alternate each year. Obviously there'd be only a few sites that can be used but then, you can have all 30 teams participating eventually.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The largest neutral site stadiums in climates that would be cod enough for outdoor games, and have at least a fairnumber of hockey fans would be Michigan Stadium in ann Arbour, Beaver stadium in State College (though with the Wings, Pens and Flyers nearby those aren't really neutral)  Arrowhead Stadium in KC, Memorial Stadiumin Nebraska, Notre Dame Stadium, Camp Randall stadium in Madison, Cleveland Browns stadium, Lambeau Field, M&T Bank stadium in Baltimore, Kinnick stadium in Iowa,
     and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinatti. For Canadian sites there's Ivor Wynn in Hamilton and Taylor Field in Regina.

The largest suitable fields for cities with teams that have yet to play outdoors are Mile High in Denver, Ohio Stadium in Columbus, MetLife Stadium in Jersey (Be great to see a Devils/Isles game there) TCF Bank stadium in Minny, Winnipeg Stadium, and Busch Stadium in St Louis.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I actually think the avoidance of Canadian teams is unwise from a marketing standpoint, too. Who wouldn't want a little jingoism at New Years? Start with Chicago-Vancouver then Boston-Montreal. Maybe even Toronto-Buffalo or Winnipeg-Minnesota down the road. Yes please. At the very least, they need to look into this following Olympic years, where flag waving is at an all-time high.

But we're not the target audience...the goal is to grab the casual fan and US tv ratings, so they'll continue to go with a select number of big-market US teams. Based on market size, star power and northerly location, the eligible US teams are fairly straightforward:

1. Pens
    2. Wings
    3. Caps
    4. Rangers
    5. Hawks
    6. Flyers
    7. Bruins
    8. Sabres
    9. Blues
    10. Wild
    11. Avs
    12. Jackets
    13. Devils
    14. Isles

The Sabres were a surprise to me, but otherwise the NHL is sticking to the top teams and I've got no problem with that. A team from 9-14 or one not on this list might be of interest to people in those markets (Sharks, Bolts, Kings, etc), but nobody else would tune in. Maybe they play as the away team, but there aren't any interesting rivalries between those top and bottom teams and the southerly hockey audience just isn't big enough. Maybe Wings/Avs would work, but that rivalry has cooled off.....

For this year, the Rangers had to get a game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree with the Rangers, but why the Flyers again? Wouldn't a Rangers/Isles, or Rangers/Devils game in MetLife, Yankee Stadium or CitiField have been more interesting?

Also, I could see them doing anadian vs. American games, but for the Heritage classic. Like a Jets/Wild game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with the Rangers, but why the Flyers again? Wouldn't a Rangers/Isles, or Rangers/Devils game in MetLife, Yankee Stadium or CitiField have been more interesting? Also, I could see them doing anadian vs. American games, but for the Heritage classic. Like a Jets/Wild game.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

^Agreed. NYR vs NJD would have been nice!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Not sure, but it's possible that NYR, NJD, NYI all the same tv market when it comes to ad sales. These games are on NBC, right? Soooo....anyone know if ads for good 'ol NBC primetime or NBC sports weekends are the same in Newark as they are in Manhattan?

And that's before we address the lackluster fan base in NJ and the Long Island.

I always thought NYR-BOS would have been the way to go, with PHI-PIT to follow. Instead, they went with the Ovechkin-Crosby story instead of sticking to city rivalries. Lame.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think the winter classic should involve any northern team that can sustain an outdoor rink.

I am also not getting why the Flyers have been in it so many times? Are there that many Flyers fans?

I'd be fine with any of the following: Bruins, Rangers, Caps, Pens, Flyers (but they have appeared too many times, so pass over them), Hawks, Red Wings, Sabres, Isles (if they improve), Leafs, Canadiens, Canucks, Oilers (also if they improve), Jets, Devils, Blues, Flames, and Avalanche.

Thats a lot of choices that ARENT the Flyers, lets make use of them?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : No doubt in my mind, if the NHL wants to get it right, Winnipeg should host this year's Heritage Classic. And it should be against the Leafs.
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

And no one, outside of true hockey fans, would watch it.

Not very good marketing!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]I can tell you this:  I didnt go out of my way to watch last years because it was the Pens again, vs. the Caps......and I surely wont go out of my way to watch this years. HOWEVER, if it were San Jose in Minnesota with possible 0' temps or the chance of snow, Im making time to watch that game.  Theyre losing the uniqueness in my opinion, but having Pennsylvania teams 4 out of 5 games.  If they had the Heritage classic every year as well, then I might not care as much, but the way theyre doing it now really sucks nuts.  But thats just my opinion.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

the NHL doesn't care if you are going out of your way to watch it. they care about finding new fans. calm down

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I think the winter classic should involve any northern team that can sustain an outdoor rink. I am also not getting why the Flyers have been in it so many times? Are there that many Flyers fans? I'd be fine with any of the following: Bruins, Rangers, Caps, Pens, Flyers (but they have appeared too many times, so pass over them), Hawks, Red Wings, Sabres, Isles (if they improve), Leafs, Canadiens, Canucks, Oilers (also if they improve), Jets, Devils, Blues, Flames, and Avalanche. Thats a lot of choices that ARENT the Flyers, lets make use of them?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

What do you mean "so many times?"   This year will be the second.  Exaggerate much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Anyone know why they are playing on the 2nd instead of New years Day?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

This will be their second time out of 5 games which equals 40%.  And 2 out of 3 years.  Yeah, thats a little much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone know why they are playing on the 2nd instead of New years Day?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

New Year's Day is on a Sunday this year, and the NFL has no Sunday Night game scheduled. Instead NBC will carry a TBA afternoon game, which would put it at the exact same time as the Winter Classic, and NBC can't carry both at the same time. So they moved it to the stat holiday, which is Monday the 2nd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : And no one, outside of true hockey fans, would watch it. Not very good marketing!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS he said Heritage Classic, not Winter Classic. The Heritage Classic is the all-Canadian one, for the audience north of the border and broadcast on the CBC. It's the one intended only for hockey fans. For that game, which is not intended to be for American fans and looks like it will be eld every two years rather than annually, Jets/Leafs makes sense.