World Juniors?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

World Juniors?

With the 2011-2012 World Juniors approaching & news of a couple of very good Bruins prospects (Hamilton & Spooner) trying out for the team it kind of got me curious on what other fans feel about what the tournament has become?

TSN has certainly done a great job over the years in promoting the tournament & making it the Christmas tradition that it has become.However, as a fan I grew up watching these New Years tournaments & absoliutely loved it. But the last few years I have been unable to really get to excited about the tournament.

Posible reasons for this are the fact that other then Canada, United States, Russia & Sweden there isn't much competition. Add to the fact that TSN promotes the Canadian team so much it can be kind of annoying. I understand why they do it but lets face it, Canada has so much to choose from compared to other countries it almost feels like cheering for the New York Yankees.

Also, it seems the tournament is in Canada every couple of years which I understand is financially motivated but it sets it up even more in Team Canada's favour to win it.

Obviously, I still want Canada to win but I just can't get overly excited for it anymore & Canada winning is kind of expected. Has the tournament been overdone by the Canadian media & do any other fans feel the same as I do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: World Juniors?

In Response to World Juniors?:
    [QUOTE]With the 2011-2012 World Juniors approaching & news of a couple of very good Bruins prospects (Hamilton & Spooner) trying out for the team it kind of got me curious on what other fans feel about what the tournament has become? TSN has certainly done a great job over the years in promoting the tournament & making it the Christmas tradition that it has become.However, as a fan I grew up watching these New Years tournaments & absoliutely loved it. But the last few years I have been unable to really get to excited about the tournament. Posible reasons for this are the fact that other then Canada, United States, Russia & Sweden there isn't much competition. Add to the fact that TSN promotes the Canadian team so much it can be kind of annoying. I understand why they do it but lets face it, Canada has so much to choose from compared to other countries it almost feels like cheering for the New York Yankees. Also, it seems the tournament is in Canada every couple of years which I understand is financially motivated but it sets it up even more in Team Canada's favour to win it. Obviously, I still want Canada to win but I just can't get overly excited for it anymore & Canada winning is kind of expected. Has the tournament been overdone by the Canadian media & do any other fans feel the same as I do?
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

I think you're in the minority on this one . I try to follow as much about the junior game as possible . Others who are in the same boat as me feel the same way about this tournament which is I actually look forward to this tourney more then the Memorial cup. The reason ? The best of all players at this age bracket ( excluding players who are in the NHL ) and how they'll perform against the rest of the world . I love it !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: World Juniors?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to World Juniors? : I think you're in the minority on this one . I try to follow as much about the junior game as possible . Others who are in the same boat as me feel the same way about this tournament which is I actually look forward to this tourney more then the Memorial cup. The reason ? The best of all players at this age bracket ( excluding players who are in the NHL ) and how they'll perform against the rest of the world . I love it !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I expect to be in the minority and I once really looked forward to it like you do now. I understand it is great hockey with the guys playing for their country for the love of the game.

I just can't get as excited as I was just 5 years ago. Hopefully this year my interest will improve if Hamilton & Spooner make the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

Nothing better than kicking off boxing day with this tournament.

It will be great entertainment value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

This tournament is always one of the highlights of the hockey viewing year.  The unbridled passion on display is always tremendous to watch, as is the emotion of the champions when their anthem is played at the conclusion of the gold medal game.  It's also a good opportunity to see each team's draft picks on display, and an early opportunity for draft-eligible prospects to put on a show.

As for the tournament being in Canada, I'm not too impressed with the vast expanses of empty seats in European arenas for many of the games when the tournament is held there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Not to mention, last year's tourny was phenomenal...

John Carlson no-look roof job to win the Gold over Canada...

I just started watching it last year, but that was a fantastic couple weeks...

Also, I don't know about you guys, but for me, this will be my first chance to see Spooner and Dougie (if they make the team, knock on wood) play outside of clips online...

So I for one will be very interested to watch the IIHF Juniors this year...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm on both sides of this one.

Being an American, Canada does kind of seem like the Yankees here, but of course that isn't quite fair since they are advantaged on the merits of their players, not their ability spend twice as much as everyone else.  But between the loaded roster of NHL locks every year (Seguin couldn't even make it!), the fauning media devotion, and the raucous home ice advantage (in Canada or the US), it does make the upset more enticing.  I get tired of hearing every year how Canada should win and anything less is a disaster, even if it is true.  At times it seems like a gold medal is a Canadian entitlement, through no fault of the kids playing.

That said, I have gotten more and more interested in this tournament in recent years, and I really do enjoy it.  After my obvious preference for an American victory, I really do enjoy watching Bruins prospects on any team and I'll be pulling for Hamilton and Spooner to play well.  I'm really looking forward to the tournament.  I'm rooting for Boston or Denver to host one soon.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Not to mention, last year's tourny was phenomenal... John Carlson no-look roof job to win the Gold over Canada... I just started watching it last year, but that was a fantastic couple weeks... Also, I don't know about you guys, but for me, this will be my first chance to see Spooner and Dougie (if they make the team, knock on wood) play outside of clips online... So I for one will be very interested to watch the IIHF Juniors this year...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

Two years ago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I enjoy the tournament a lot.  Canada has actually struggled the last few years so I wouldn't say it's a lock for them. I get more excited when there is a good Bruin prospect or potential pick, so this year should be a good one with Hamilton, Spooner, Knight and Koko all potentially playing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The homeice advantage is the only part I have a problem with.  I liked watching Canada win in Europe.
    I actually hope soon the U.S. will host and embrace this tournament otherwise, financially , it'll always go to a Canadian city.
    Last year Canada's breakdown in the 3rd was colossal !  In a way was good for the tournament even though was a downer for me but imagine if Seguin, Skinner or Nugent (was eligible just not taken) were there ... almost certain Canada would have run away with it.
    This year with guys like Knight (hopefully makes U.S. team) , Spooner (hopefully makes team)  and Hamilton (should make team) it brings an extra element of interest for myself and surely more Bruin fans no matter what side of the border.
    I don't know about Koko and the Russian program.  They iced a team in the super series and that might have been what they will go with. I don;t think Koko could have played for them in that series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: World Juniors?:[QUOTE] This tournament is always one of the highlights of the hockey viewing year.  The unbridled passion on display is always tremendous to watch Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

^Very, Very true and Undoubtedly a great tournament. I will not miss it, bigger rinks will favor the Euros this time around. Hopefully the US can recapture that Parise/Kane success of 2004 they had over there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The homeice advantage is the only part I have a problem with.  I liked watching Canada win in Europe. I actually hope soon the U.S. will host and embrace this tournament otherwise, financially , it'll always go to a Canadian city. Last year Canada's breakdown in the 3rd was colossal !  In a way was good for the tournament even though was a downer for me but imagine if Seguin, Skinner or Nugent (was eligible just not taken) were there ... almost certain Canada would have run away with it. This year with guys like Knight (hopefully makes U.S. team) , Spooner (hopefully makes team)  and Hamilton (should make team) it brings an extra element of interest for myself and surely more Bruin fans no matter what side of the border. I don't know about Koko and the Russian program.  They iced a team in the super series and that might have been what they will go with. I don;t think Koko could have played for them in that series.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Koko played for Russia in the 10-7 Ottawa game and scored a goal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I'm on both sides of this one. Being an American, Canada does kind of seem like the Yankees here, but of course that isn't quite fair since they are advantaged on the merits of their players, not their ability spend twice as much as everyone else.  But between the loaded roster of NHL locks every year (Seguin couldn't even make it!), the fauning media devotion, and the raucous home ice advantage (in Canada or the US), it does make the upset more enticing.  I get tired of hearing every year how Canada should win and anything less is a disaster, even if it is true.  At times it seems like a gold medal is a Canadian entitlement, through no fault of the kids playing. That said, I have gotten more and more interested in this tournament in recent years, and I really do enjoy it.  After my obvious preference for an American victory, I really do enjoy watching Bruins prospects on any team and I'll be pulling for Hamilton and Spooner to play well.  I'm really looking forward to the tournament.  I'm rooting for Boston or Denver to host one soon.    
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I'll be pulling for all Bruins prospects to make their teams and all wear medals at the end of the tourney. Hopefully Koko gets his bronze and Knight gets his silver.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: World Juniors? : Koko played for Russia in the 10-7 Ottawa game and scored a goal.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

thanks for the scoop.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: World Juniors? : thanks for the scoop.

You're welcome. Anytime. While you're out travelling to all corners of the world making the big $$$$$ I'm stuck in my rec-room watching hockey saving pennies.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]The homeice advantage is the only part I have a problem with.  I liked watching Canada win in Europe. I actually hope soon the U.S. will host and embrace this tournament otherwise, financially , it'll always go to a Canadian city. Last year Canada's breakdown in the 3rd was colossal !  In a way was good for the tournament even though was a downer for me but imagine if Seguin, Skinner or Nugent (was eligible just not taken) were there ... almost certain Canada would have run away with it. This year with guys like Knight (hopefully makes U.S. team) , Spooner (hopefully makes team)  and Hamilton (should make team) it brings an extra element of interest for myself and surely more Bruin fans no matter what side of the border. I don't know about Koko and the Russian program.  They iced a team in the super series and that might have been what they will go with. I don;t think Koko could have played for them in that series.

i think the best sites to host it in the US are border towns. Buffalo and Grand Forks, especially Grand Forks, did great jobs hosting the tourny and were able to draw fans from Canada to fill seats. For the US, keep the gamezs in cities like Detroit, Seattle, or Burlington Vermont, and it will be successful financially.