Would you trade Krug?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Would you trade Krug?

Isla's brought this up a couple of times, and frankly, I get it.  I mean, right now I look at what a difference he's meant to the PP - including making Julien comfortable with the idea of Chara down low where he's the leading PP goal scorer - and what he's contributed generally to the transition game, and I can't see the advantage of trading him.  But I do remember Hawgood (who was short, but over 200lbs to Krug's buck seventy-five.).  And more recently, I remember Hunwick and Kampfer who both looked like they might do what Krug has done but couldn't sustain it.  And hey, he's a small NCAA defenseman, so I'm naturally inclined to dislike him. 

Isla's premise is: Sell High.  Let's take that down a slight notch.  Say this isn't a career year for him, but it's average to above average.  In other words, this is basically what he is for the rest of his NHL days.  Is there an offer for Krug out there that would upgrade the Bruins as a whole more than losing Krug would hurt?  I'm not looking for e-harmony proposals here, just a basic answer.  Do you see a team willing to pay a premium for Krug who would offer something that would be enticing enough for you to make the deal?  I was going to say "no picks/prospects" but if you think that's fair, let er rip.

I'd say no.  For me, I don't see a deal to be made that would involve Krug and be worth it for Boston. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Would you trade Krug?

It was several  weeks ago I believe you suggested Anton Volchenkov was a reasonble replacement for Seides, I'm starting to think this is a very sensible scenario and it wouldn't require trading Krug. But to answer your question, I would have no trouble trading Krug... the right deal for that to happen doesn't seem likely given the limited time remaining before deadline and how many teams are still in the race.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Torey brings speed to the Bruins! So i would say no as to trading him , but if a team was to make an offer that would bowl over Chia pet, I'm guessing he would make the trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At this point, Book, I'd hang onto him.  I'm not gaga over him like some here are over Spooner, but maybe he hasn't come close to his potential yet.  One thing is certain: The guy can shoot while remaining defensively (somewhat) responsible.  He's not Coffey for points but he's also not Housley (or "There is no D in Mike Green") for defense.

Hawgie hockey was fun to watch.  Kampfer hockey was not.  Hunwick hockey was downright painful (moreso for Savard). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I wouldn't trade him. His puck skills bring an element this team can use. He's certainly undersized, but like you said, he is defensivly responsible and uses what body he has pretty effectively. He's fun to watch and brings it every shift. I'm sure there's more than a few teams out ther that like him as well. Curious though, I wonder what his trade value actually would be?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isla's brought this up a couple of times, and frankly, I get it.  I mean, right now I look at what a difference he's meant to the PP - including making Julien comfortable with the idea of Chara down low where he's the leading PP goal scorer - and what he's contributed generally to the transition game, and I can't see the advantage of trading him.  But I do remember Hawgood (who was short, but over 200lbs to Krug's buck seventy-five.).  And more recently, I remember Hunwick and Kampfer who both looked like they might do what Krug has done but couldn't sustain it.  And hey, he's a small NCAA defenseman, so I'm naturally inclined to dislike him. 

Isla's premise is: Sell High.  Let's take that down a slight notch.  Say this isn't a career year for him, but it's average to above average.  In other words, this is basically what he is for the rest of his NHL days.  Is there an offer for Krug out there that would upgrade the Bruins as a whole more than losing Krug would hurt?  I'm not looking for e-harmony proposals here, just a basic answer.  Do you see a team willing to pay a premium for Krug who would offer something that would be enticing enough for you to make the deal?  I was going to say "no picks/prospects" but if you think that's fair, let er rip.

I'd say no.  For me, I don't see a deal to be made that would involve Krug and be worth it for Boston. 

[/QUOTE]

I just don't think I could let him go. I do understand the 'no-one is irreplaceable' concept. He's brought speed and an offensive threat to the blue line that's been missing for too long. I'll grant you he's on the small side and can be a liability defensively, but he has a lot of potential that's not yet been filled. He's improved (a lot) on the D side. He's pretty rugged especially for a guy his size. He's not afraid of anything that I've seen. He plays a 'big man's' game. Too much the asset/potential to trade away. The return would have to be a monster deal. I'm glad the decision is not mine. I wonder about the effect trading him would have on the team chemistry too. He seems to be a good 'team fit' with the rest of the room. Kind of like one of those intangibles that keeps guys on a team when there are others available to fill the roster spot.

Garfield

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

I like his speed. That said, I don't like a whole lot more. I would trade him if the offer was right. By right I mean an upgrade and not simply a trade-just-to-trade deal.

Volchenkov would have been a good replacement for Sieds. Unfortunately for us it not 2009. He looked slow the last time I saw him and the hitting seems to be a thing of the past.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hard to think of a deal that would make alot of sense, B's don't have many holes.

What about a deal that land you a legit top-4 left-side d-man?  Their left-side top-4 are 36 & 32 respectively, and the latter is coming off a season-ending knee injury.

Could lock Bartkowski in as your bottom-pair guy with the "new guy" taking the Seidenberg spot for the ROY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

I may be alone on his one, but I like Millers game better than Krugs or Bartkowski. I could deal Krug without any issues. (I didn't like him that much 20 years ago when his name was Greg Hawgood) Bartkowski to me should be named captain of the all-overrated team. I just don't get everyones everlasting love for him.

Miller is steady, physical and much more stay-at-home and much more valuable, I think

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Isla's premise is: Sell High. 

[/QUOTE]

An observation to this comment:

Why would the Bruins want to do this ?

Selling high should be a thought for a bottom dwellar............not a cup contender.

Adding to those assets makes more sense............... then swapping pieces in and out just because of the thought of a "sell high" premise.

Continiuty has to have some sort of priority here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I wouldn't...but, carrying Krug is one thing -  Krug, Hamilton and Bartkowski is another.

I think the question will eventually come down to Krug or Hamilton. Once everybody wipes up the coffee they just spit up  - that would be a topic worth debating.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't...but, carrying Krug is one thing -  Krug, Hamilton and Bartkowski is another.

I think the question will eventually come down to Krug or Hamilton. Once everybody wipes up the coffee they just spit up  - that would be a topic worth debating.

[/QUOTE]

Here's another topic worth debating............what stops them from carrying both ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And that's the correct answer!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't see why you couldn't have them both, JW, depending on the rest of the D.  But then I think Hamilton's got the ability to control a game from the blueline in him.  Just a question of time and experience before he's a top pairing or even #1 D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I don't see why you couldn't have them both, JW, depending on the rest of the D.  But then I think Hamilton's got the ability to control a game from the blueline in him.  Just a question of time and experience before he's a top pairing or even #1 D.

Me neither. 

Their strengths are giving the B's offense and speed from the back end. Being slower stay-at-home tough defencemen they are not.

A mixture is the best recipe in my opinion . Not all of one style or not all of the other.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In my response to JW, I started to write something about how you surround those two with Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid, Seidenberg and carry a Miller as 7th D and you should have a good balance.  I deleted it because I think there's a fundamental difference between Hamilton and Krug.  Hamilton's 20.  He's already 6'5" andd 212, but I think you'll see his weight go into the 220s.  He's got the frame to add muscle, and he's going to get denser and fitter the longer he's in the NHL.  And he can destroy guys with hits when he takes the opportunity.  He's filled in a few guys already in his one season over two years, but I think he's been told to concentrate on his defensive game this year and not worry too much about adding that physical dimension.  The first thing everyone comes back with when you point out that he blasted a few guys last year, including I think it was Lupul in the playoffs, is that he puts himself out of position.  Yup.  Lots of hitters do.  Very few are Stevens or Ericsson who can incorporate huge collisions in the flow of good defense.  He needs to learn that, but the first step to learning it is getting the flow of good coverage.  That has been much much better this year.

Not that it's a reliable measure, but to illustrate: Hamilton's hits per game is down this year by about half a hit per game than last year even though he's playing 2 minutes more per game.  That has to be the result of something, and I think it's coaching plus the disappointment of getting yanked in the playoffs.  Good motivation.

Physically and in terms of development, I think the physical qualities of his game improve incrememntally over the next few years to the point where he might not match Chara's hit totals, but where he'll get the kind of hits Chara uses to wear guys down - slams in the corners, shoulders to win puck battles - rather than the Boychuk hits that make highlight reels.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here's another topic worth debating............what stops them from carrying both ?

[/QUOTE]

Nothing...unless you think a big, strong physical d corp is a cornerstone for success.

Really like Hamilton's offensive game - he's a pussycat in his own end. Now Krug competes his azz off, but due to physics, he does get overwhelmed sometimes.

That's 1/3 of your blue line

I'm a big believer in making life miserable for anyone who wants to chase the puck in deep, and especially along the wall. I think that to their credit, so do CJ and PC. We'll see how this shakes out down the road.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

It would have to be a " blow your socks off" deal for me to consider trading Krug. Look at the improvement on the PP. Krug brings a great boost to the offense Snd for his size, he is not timid and throws around what he has got. Not too many Dmen bring his type of offense and real solid in their own zone. And if his offense continues to improve he's got a shot at the Norris!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Nothing...unless you think a big, strong physical d corp is a cornerstone for success.

Really like Hamilton's offensive game - he's a pussycat in his own end. Now Krug competes his azz off, but due to physics, he does get overwhelmed sometimes.

I'm a big believer in making life miserable for anyone who wants to chase the puck in deep, and especially along the wall. I think that to their credit, so do CJ and PC. We'll see how this shakes out down the road.

[/QUOTE]

Another topic to debate :

Who's going to add offense from the back end if a "d corps that is all big, strong and physical" without the offensive flair that players like a Hamilton or Krug bring ?

Who likes a blueline of no offense, all brawn or vice versa ? 

I like a mix of these types of players.

Thinking that making life miserable for opposing players in your end is a thought I agree with.

But saying that I like the thought of having defencemen like Krug and Hamilton making life miserable down at the other end too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

The Bruins will not trade Krug. He is what they have been looking for since Bourque left really. He will not be the shutdown D Bourque was for sure but he can be everthing else. We have Krug control for years to come after his next contract extention next year. Hamilton will be Pronger like for us in the not so distant future.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"Hamilton will be Pronger like for us in the not so distant future"

EPIC

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Thats the problem with when you have the depth which includes Krug, miller, bart etc that when an offer comes along ( if it does) that it makes it easy to unload one of the D man if the deal is right. As far as krug goes, as Book mentioned the likes og hawgood and so on in the past gives me that same feeling of I had back in those days. can Krug stay average or above average ? I like what he brings to the pp and thats about it, his size is too small for the defensive zone and most times gets over taken by a bigger body, he can handle the speed pretty well. If you wanna compare Krug to Bartowski, i give Bart the edge in all categories other than offensive points. One of the Bs defense will become ezpendable by the trade deadline simply because the CJ style simply is not good for 2 or 3 PMD. I guess my answer is if i had a choice between Krug or Bartowski to be dealt it would be krug, but the deal has to be a good one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

no way. the b's are chock-full of stay at home defensemen- chara, seidenberg, boychuk,  and mcquaid.  the one thing missing from the d-corps is offensive threat. krug is #2 in goals scored for all d-men, and #14 in the league in d-men points. this is all with just about a year of nhl hockey under his belt. he's a keeper for sure. if i were to have to choose one of the young guys on d to go, it would be tough. they all have handled themselves quite well. bartkowski would be the odd man out imo. for these reasons... krug has shown to have a nhl shot that finds the back of the net quite often, miller is a tougher version of bart, and hamilton has the most potential considering his age and draft spot. not an easy choice, which is a great spot to be in if your the bruins mgmt.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another topic to debate :

Who's going to add offense from the back end if a "d corps that is all big, strong and physical" without the offensive flair that players like a Hamilton or Krug bring ?

Who likes a blueline of no offense, all brawn or vice versa ? 

I like a mix of these types of players.

Thinking that making life miserable for opposing players in your end is a thought I agree with.

But saying that I like the thought of having defencemen like Krug and Hamilton making life miserable down at the other end too.

[/QUOTE]

Yeh - pretty much agree with everything in this post

Just sayin, I'm worried about this d corp, and believe that right now Krug, Hamilton and Bartkowski are an issue in there own end, and on this team, in this system - it's a legit concern.

I'm certainly not promoting having a blue line that is only big strong and physical with no offense.

I just think that Bartkowski kinda suks, Krug's size and Hamiltons battle level are tilting the scales in the wrong direction, and eventually will have to be addressed.

I think Hamilton is going to have to step it up, imo he just might not have it in him. It's way more emotional than physical in his case. Really hope I'm wrong about him, cause I'm just not seeing it in his own end.

Check the PK

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

"Hamilton will be Pronger like for us in the not so distant future"

EPIC

[/QUOTE]

The only two things they have in common are they are both tall and they both play hockey.  Hamilton looks more like Myers in Buffalo then Pronger.   And for the record i like myers.