Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?

Allan Muir had this idea to help clean up the NHL and it makes perfect sense....

The PA needs to negotiate for a more active role in the disciplinary process. Not just a seat at the table, but perhaps two on a three-man committee that metes out the sort of justice that leaves no room for interpretation: clean up your act, or shop your limited skills elsewhere.

Maybe it's something bolder, like reducing rosters by one in exchange for other concessions.

But before he even sits down with the league, the players have to be on the same page. They have to truly understand what's at stake. And Fehr is the only one who can get them in a room make that happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't that decrease the number and length of suspensions? The NHLPA has two responsibilities here - player wealth and player safety. Longer and more frequent suspensions equals less player wealth, as players lose money while suspended.

What do you think Fehr values more, the health of his players or how much money is going into their pockets?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Sports Illustrated? Who'd have thought.

I would like players and GM's to be able to weigh in on suspensions. There should be more people involved to try and remove bias. Shanahan has pre-concieved notions and can apprently read minds so maybe finding someone from this medium may help straighten the game out.

Also I have said, or thought, don't remember which, that the team that has lost a player to suspension should not be able to replace him with another player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?:
    [QUOTE]Allan Muir had this idea to help clean up the NHL and it makes perfect sense.... The PA needs to negotiate for a more active role in the disciplinary process. Not just a seat at the table, but perhaps two on a three-man committee that metes out the sort of justice that leaves no room for interpretation: clean up your act, or shop your limited skills elsewhere. Maybe it's something bolder, like reducing rosters by one in exchange for other concessions. But before he even sits down with the league, the players have to be on the same page. They have to truly understand what's at stake. And Fehr is the only one who can get them in a room make that happen.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I like it. Puts the onus on the players. I can't see the owners being too warm and fuzzy with it, but it's a good idea. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It's a tough situation going into the next CBA.  I think something like an independent arbitrator that makes a decision based upon analysis provided by one League representative and one NHLPA representative might work.

There are so many conflicts of interest though.

The NHL doesn't want its (star) players hurt, but they still want "Hit of the Night" highlights.

The NHLPA doesn't want its players hurt, but it also doesn't want its players loosing money without strong justification.

Schedule restrictions mean decisions need to be made quickly, which makes in-depth scrutiny tricky.  There needs to be some sort of balanced point found.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?:
    [QUOTE]Not a bad idea, but wouldn't that decrease the number and length of suspensions? The NHLPA has two responsibilities here - player wealth and player safety. Longer and more frequent suspensions equals less player wealth, as players lose money while suspended. What do you think Fehr values more, the health of his players or how much money is going into their pockets?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, it's the players that are at risk so maybe more responsibilty for who plays needs to be put back into their hands. Player safety needs to overrule the almighty dollar and that isn't consistently happenning right now. It's a tough one to really figure out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]It's a tough situation going into the next CBA.  I think something like an independent arbitrator that makes a decision based upon analysis provided by one League representative and one NHLPA representative might work. There are so many conflicts of interest though. The NHL doesn't want its (star) players hurt, but they still want "Hit of the Night" highlights. The NHLPA doesn't want its players hurt, but it also doesn't want its players loosing money without strong justification. Schedule restrictions mean decisions need to be made quickly, which makes in-depth scrutiny tricky.  There needs to be some sort of balanced point found.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

They'll be more concerned about about players losing money than injured players losing games. Just how Donald Fehr works. Injured playres still get paid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated? : They'll be more concerned about about players losing money than injured players losing games. Just how Donald Fehr works. Injured playres still get paid.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I agree dez that players' safety needs to outweight the dollar, I just don't think it will.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

To date the PA has been taking the side of the perpetrators, not the victims, in suspension hearings. I have no idea why, but I worry that more PA involvement would hurt discipline, not help it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/allan_muir/04/18/blackhawks.coyotes.marian.hossa/index.html#ixzz1sQ4lcqZk

Just posted this on another thread thought Muir nailed it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I believe that there should be a board, not one person, that reveiws these plays and doles out the punishment.  The Board should hear the case and vote electronically anonymously from the others, add up the number of games that each decided on for suspension and take the average.  In the case of Weber, if there was a five man board, instead of just Shanaban, it's likely that Shane would have had to sit at least 1 game.  The whole video explanation was supposed to be a good thing, the NHL being transparent.  However, I think that Brendan has mis-used his powers and his explanations have proven to be way to speculative, leading to even more criticism.  If there is a panel or board, made up of Shanaban, NHLPA, a retired Judge, a retired ref, I don't care.  As long as it is not just one person determining the fate of the NHL any longer.  Because right now, Shanaban is more powerful and more in the spotlight then is Bettman!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/allan_muir/04/18/blackhawks.coyotes.marian.hossa/index.html#ixzz1sQ4lcqZk Just posted this on another thread thought Muir nailed it.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Good read guys.
    I like this "serial headhunter Raffi Torres "

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I liked that he mentioned Ference as a recipient.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Bettman/NBC on ice Entertainment Corporation (aka; The NHL) doesn't give a fat wahooey what SI thinks or anybody else for that matter. The name of the game is making MONEY by hook or by crook.  The key components of Bettman/NBC Marketing are the game changing Officiating who have no accountability and the not much better selective disciplinary process that benefits big market favorites like the Bruins, Hawks, Kings and Rangers.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Null is Dull.
    Null full of bull.
    Null full of Null.
    Null has broken skull.
    Null has no gull.
    Null too much mull.
    Null has no pull.
    Null has no hull.
    Null is Nil.
    Null will lull you to sleep.
    Time to cull Null. He's a numbskull.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

You want more union involvement? Yeah, that's done wonders for this country. No thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated? : Thanks for the feedback, Wheatie. i thought you had me on ignore..your sounding a bit desperate though...you might want to up your dosage and put me back on ignore. Get well soon JT The Refs will Make you or Break you (and Shanny Can Too)
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Me, have you on ignore? Shirley, you jest. Only way I'll ignore you is if you disappear.

Me, desparate? Shirley, you jest again.

One other thing, Shirley: guys like you brings out the Lucic in me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated?:
    [QUOTE]Allan Muir had this idea to help clean up the NHL and it makes perfect sense.... The PA needs to negotiate for a more active role in the disciplinary process. Not just a seat at the table, but perhaps two on a three-man committee that metes out the sort of justice that leaves no room for interpretation: clean up your act, or shop your limited skills elsewhere. Maybe it's something bolder, like reducing rosters by one in exchange for other concessions. But before he even sits down with the league, the players have to be on the same page. They have to truly understand what's at stake. And Fehr is the only one who can get them in a room make that happen.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Friends of the defendant on the jury?  That's a bit wacky.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wow! Good Idea For Hockey In Sports Illustrated? : Friends of the defendant on the jury?  That's a bit wacky.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    It's no different than Shanny right now. There's always perceived favour. Make the committee large enough that 1 or 2 pals can't make a difference. These guys are the ones that have to do the job out there so they should have a say in who they want to work with. The whole workplace safety angle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I have some suggestions on who could be on a disciplinary board made up of former players:

Kariya
    Lindros
    Stevens
    Vaske
    Barnaby
    Richter
    Courtnall
    Primeau
    LaFontaine
    Grimson
    Chynoweth
    Scratchard
    Moore
    Deadmarsh

and they can add Alfredsson next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I have some suggestions on who could be on a disciplinary board made up of former players: Kariya Lindros Stevens Vaske Barnaby Richter Courtnall Primeau LaFontaine Grimson Chynoweth Scratchard Moore Deadmarsh and they can add Alfredsson next year.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    And Savard when his contract is finished.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I have some suggestions on who could be on a disciplinary board made up of former players: Kariya Lindros Stevens Vaske Barnaby Richter Courtnall Primeau LaFontaine Grimson Chynoweth Scratchard Moore Deadmarsh and they can add Alfredsson next year.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

This is the first and most likely last time Paul Kariya and Dean Chynoweth are mentioned at the same time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Not exactly a new idea and not exactly SI's idea.  this is an idea that has been passed around (even on these boards) for a year or two.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Not exactly a new idea and not exactly SI's idea.  this is an idea that has been passed around (even on these boards) for a year or two.  
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]
    It's just good to see it get some "mainstream" press.