You Decide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: You Decide

Very limited sample so far, but Florek has looked like a guy with a future on the fourth line.  He's not a guy like Caron who "should" be playing higher up the roster, even if that just means the third line.  Florek, on the other hand, has never really had a scorer's profile.  He's a fifth rounder who went undrafted until he was 20 (a last chancer, like Cunningham) who was nearly a point/game player in his senior year, so he has to have at least some stick skills, but whose primary qualifications are size and good skating for the forecheck.  I think he's done well enough to be in the team's longer term plans for that fourth line.  In fact, I'd go as far as to say he looks like the best fit for third/fourth line succession planning we've seen out of Providence.  (Spooner, Camper, even Cunningham are not hard charging energy liners; he's a better fit than Caron and a better player than MacDermid was.)  Thornton will play, but if I was the coach, I'd keep feeding this kid ice until he stopped proving he deserves it.  And, not that it matters - he has 2 points in 3 games.  Better than SweetHands and Caron in a fraction of the games; tied with Fraser; one point behind Thornton in 24 fewer games.  If the point is energy line guys who play the role and can also chip in, he's chipping.

Smith's cooled off - 2 points and a -4 in his last 6 games.  Eriksson comes back to his spot, Smith with Spooner and Soderberg, Fraser to the minors where he, I hope, processes what he's learned about playing in the NHL (he now has 27 games of experience) and comes back a better player for it.  Caron should go down, but Florek will at least until after the Olympics when moves get made.  I don't think Caron is long for Boston at this stage.  He's either gone straight up for Yandle (from what I hear around here) or they expose him to waivers to send him down and either lose him or watch him play in Providence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Florek and Spooner looked great last night. I agree that Fraser has finally looked good but his next call up he had better get it right because Florek has served notice to the other Providence prospects. I did not see Florek out of position once last night, beauty of a tip on his goal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very limited sample so far, but Florek has looked like a guy with a future on the fourth line.  He's not a guy like Caron who "should" be playing higher up the roster, even if that just means the third line.  Florek, on the other hand, has never really had a scorer's profile.  He's a fifth rounder who went undrafted until he was 20 (a last chancer, like Cunningham) who was nearly a point/game player in his senior year, so he has to have at least some stick skills, but whose primary qualifications are size and good skating for the forecheck.  I think he's done well enough to be in the team's longer term plans for that fourth line.  In fact, I'd go as far as to say he looks like the best fit for third/fourth line succession planning we've seen out of Providence.  (Spooner, Camper, even Cunningham are not hard charging energy liners; he's a better fit than Caron and a better player than MacDermid was.)  Thornton will play, but if I was the coach, I'd keep feeding this kid ice until he stopped proving he deserves it.  And, not that it matters - he has 2 points in 3 games.  Better than SweetHands and Caron in a fraction of the games; tied with Fraser; one point behind Thornton in 24 fewer games.  If the point is energy line guys who play the role and can also chip in, he's chipping.

Smith's cooled off - 2 points and a -4 in his last 6 games.  Eriksson comes back to his spot, Smith with Spooner and Soderberg, Fraser to the minors where he, I hope, processes what he's learned about playing in the NHL (he now has 27 games of experience) and comes back a better player for it.  Caron should go down, but Florek will at least until after the Olympics when moves get made.  I don't think Caron is long for Boston at this stage.  He's either gone straight up for Yandle (from what I hear around here) or they expose him to waivers to send him down and either lose him or watch him play in Providence.

[/QUOTE]

The B's will have to add a 2nd rounder. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

On what planet does Caron go "straight up for Yandle?" Probably have to add more than a sencond rounder as well. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The B's have basically been able to withstand injuries to the forwards with their young depth and people picking up their games, and even the bottom D have been deep enough when people were hurt.

But it seems the team looks affected by the Seidenberg injury.

Maybe its a small sample, maybe its because the teams they are playing are that good, or maybe its because Rask is in a little funk, but its hard to ignore the leaky look of the team D since Seides went down.

Rather than look for multi cheap depth deals as in prior years, I see the B's making one deal, spending some real resources for a physical stay at home defenseman.

I also see Thornton having a hard time getting regular playing time when eligible.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Seidenberg was the straw that broke the camels back in terms of our defensive system holding up with all the injuries.  Before he went down we always had a really good shut down defender on the ice that could help to pick up the slack when our new forwards got caught sleeping.  Now, if a forward slips up there is nobody there and we need to Tuuka to come up bigger than usual.  We have always been a team that gives up some shots, but our system limits odd man rushes and keeps those shots to the outside --- that system has some kinks in it right now

[/QUOTE]
    I will be vary surprised if Thornton he doesn't play next game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to mxt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On what planet does Caron go "straight up for Yandle?" Probably have to add more than a sencond rounder as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Planet BDC.