Your most personal, comical moment at a Bruins game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kavubob. Show kavubob's posts

Your most personal, comical moment at a Bruins game

For me it was in the 80's at the old barn taking a woman to her first ever Bruins game and we had tickets in the stadium section. I don't remember the row number, but it did not exist. (You know, row P when it only goes to Row M.) I was sweating bullets standing in the aisle with my girl and having tickets whose seats did not exist. The usher took a look at the tickets, then at me, then he told us to stand at the top of the aisle while he took care of other patrons. After a few minutes he took us to better seats, closer to the ice, and told us to enjoy the game. My guess is that this happens all the time and the usher was looking for two season ticket seats in which the ticket holders did not show up. It was a moment of hell and heaven!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Your most personal, comical moment at a Bruins game

Good story!

Even though my family is from New Hampshire my grandfather was a "gallery god" and one time in the late 70's he took me to a game when I was very young (I think 6 or 7).

Absent minded as he was he allowed me to go to the bathroom by myself and I, of course, got lost and spent the entire game wondering around the old barn looking for my "pops" as he was me. Needless to say, he never took me to a game alone again.

Good times!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It's 1982 and I'm 15 years old.  My best friend's dad takes a couple of us down to Maple Leaf Gardens for a game between the Bruins and Toronto.  We had seats in the reds which were like the second level of seats behind golds at that time.  The Leafs happened to have their pre-game skate in our end.  Further down our row a boy, maybe 11 or 12 is seated with what looks to be his father. 

The Leafs had a player you probably remember named Dan Maloney, a serious hardrock of a left winger who had a bit of a touch around the net having scored 27 goals in back-to-back years of 1974-75 for the Kings then '75-'76 for Detroit.  He had a couple of decent Leaf seasons but not in '82. As Maloney skates around and comes within range of our seats this same kid stands up and yells "WHY DON'T YOU F--KIN' DO SOMETHING, MALONEY?" 

The kid's father just sits there grinning.  As he glides around Dan Maloney turns his head and looks up in the direction of where the sound came.  He's about to make his pass by where we're seated and the same kid hollers "I SAID WHY DON'T YOU F--KIN' DO SOMETHING, MALONEY?"  Still no reaction from his dad. 

Dan Maloney stops skating near the boards and begins to jaw with this kid punctuating his comments with his gloved hand.  "YEAH?" he yells.  "WHY DON'T YOU F--KIN' COME DOWN HERE AND SAY THAT?" and he's pointing to where he's standing.  The kid doesn't back off.  He yells "SHADUP!"  Maloney curses at the kid, waves him off and continues with his skate but as he comes around again near where we were seated he gives the kid one wicked, eyes-locked-on-target laser stare.  True story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha...something tells me Maloney really would have given the kid a shot if he had the chance. He really could throw em in his time.

You sure you weren't that kid?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

hahaha...something tells me Maloney really would have given the kid a shot if he had the chance. He really could throw em in his time.

You sure you weren't that kid?

I guarantee it wasn't me, jm.  I'll always remember how Maloney's eyes were totally bugging out in a wild-eyed, madman stare as he turned his head around after hearing that kid the first time.  And yeah, he was as tough as they came - for most any era. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Good story!

Even though my family is from New Hampshire my grandfather was a "gallery god" and one time in the late 70's he took me to a game when I was very young (I think 6 or 7).

Absent minded as he was he allowed me to go to the bathroom by myself and I, of course, got lost and spent the entire game wondering around the old barn looking for my "pops" as he was me. Needless to say, he never took me to a game alone again.

Good times!!!

In the end who found whom?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In the end who found whom?

Eventually an usher led my grandpa to me. I tried my best to pretend I was not lost but merely milling about (a certain pride at that age I guess). Let's just say he was rather pi**ed at missing most of the game and decided it best he never take me again....lol. Hockey first of course. God rest his soul....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I guarantee it wasn't me, jm.  I'll always remember how Maloney's eyes were totally bugging out in a wild-eyed, madman stare as he turned his head around after hearing that kid the first time.  And yeah, he was as tough as they came - for most any era. 

lol..that stare would have intimidated most, including me if I were that age. Props to the kid...balls of steel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

B's vs Islanders.  Building mostly empty.  Handy in the balcony.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

B's vs Islanders.  Building mostly empty.  Handy in the balcony.

Solo? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No one event in particular, but serveral of about equal value

"Where's your purse, Carol?" when Vadnais wasn't physical enough for the gallery gods.

There was an older (60's) woman behind me who was a huge Jean Ratelle fan, had his jersey on with all kinds of hockey pins and buttons on it.  Quite vocal about "Johnny Rattle", you'd think she's know how to pronounce his name.

In the old garden there was this weird little triangle of seats in the corner that you had to go through this maze of tunnels and stairs to get to.  Then I discovered it was only 1 tunnel on a different level if I went to the row in front of me and stepped over the seats.  Lot of weird stuff in the old garden like that.

Exhibition game in Providence v. Penguins and some fans sitting first row on the glass were absolutely laying into Darius Kasparaitis.  Heckling him to death.  There was an icing or something and everyone's head was turned down ice.  Then there was this enormous crash right in front of the hecklers scaring the crap out of them.  Kasparaitis had checked the glass in front of them making as loud a sound as possible.  I could see Kasparaitis was laughing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Nothing much. My Dad took me to a game at Maple Leaf Gardens when I was like 10. Scalpers tickets, and the B's won 3-2 that night. He took me down to where the players came out of the dressing room between periods. When they went by us, I was in awe. They were so HUGE. And there was Bobby. I don't remember eye contact with any players, or a pat on the head, but just seeing these enormous guys in Black and Gold. My Team.

Life time memory. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

No one event in particular, but serveral of about equal value

"Where's your purse, Carol?" when Vadnais wasn't physical enough for the gallery gods.

There was an older (60's) woman behind me who was a huge Jean Ratelle fan, had his jersey on with all kinds of hockey pins and buttons on it.  Quite vocal about "Johnny Rattle", you'd think she's know how to pronounce his name.

In the old garden there was this weird little triangle of seats in the corner that you had to go through this maze of tunnels and stairs to get to.  Then I discovered it was only 1 tunnel on a different level if I went to the row in front of me and stepped over the seats.  Lot of weird stuff in the old garden like that.

Exhibition game in Providence v. Penguins and some fans sitting first row on the glass were absolutely laying into Darius Kasparaitis.  Heckling him to death.  There was an icing or something and everyone's head was turned down ice.  Then there was this enormous crash right in front of the hecklers scaring the crap out of them.  Kasparaitis had checked the glass in front of them making as loud a sound as possible.  I could see Kasparaitis was laughing.

I've heard all kinds of legendary stories about Boston Garden.  Among others was tons of rats being seen running around the arena.  Plus in the spring the Garden would be shared by the circus so the air for Bruin games would have the aroma of elephants hanging around.  Tall tales?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've heard all kinds of legendary tales about Boston Garden.  Among others was tons of rats being seen running around the arena.  Plus in the spring the Garden would be shared by the circus so the air would have the aroma of elephants.  True?

I went to hundreds of games in the Garden.  I never saw any rats or smelled the circus.  Games in April were very hot, however.  The seats were terrible.  Stories of seats behind poles are true.  In the corners on the staduim level, the balcony overhang would often obscure 50% of the ice.  It was always dirty.  You were guaranteed to leave with paint chips on your hands.  Man, I loved that place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I've heard all kinds of legendary tales about Boston Garden.  Among others was tons of rats being seen running around the arena.  Plus in the spring the Garden would be shared by the circus so the air would have the aroma of elephants.  True?

I went to hundreds of games in the Garden.  I never saw any rats or smelled the circus.  Games in April were very hot, however.  The seats were terrible.  Stories of seats behind poles are true.  In the corners on the staduim level, the balcony overhang would often obscure 50% of the ice.  It was always dirty.  You were guaranteed to leave with paint chips on your hands.  Man, I loved that place.

Thanks, NAS.  Growing up a Bruin fan up here in Toronto the Garden had a mystical quality for me.  With CBS showing games on Sundays in the 70's or NBC having their game of the week I'd get the odd chance to watch a game from the Garden.  My late father had a shortwave radio so whenever he was able to receive the signal I used to listen to Bob Wilson on WBZ especially Tuesdays as I remember a lot of home games being on that day. 

His words would create the image of the Garden in my mind.  Especially the idea of a rough team playing on a small ice surface.  I'd imagine the visitors being trapped with nowhere to run. 

Was there ever something about a scream from the Gallery Gods?  I can remember Wilson announcing something about that - I think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've heard all kinds of legendary stories about Boston Garden.  Among others was tons of rats being seen running around the arena.  Plus in the spring the Garden would be shared by the circus so the air for Bruin games would have the aroma of elephants hanging around.  Tall tales?

I never saw any rats and no circus smell, and I believe the circus come in the fall - which was the reason for the early road trip every year.

The place had character, I'll grant that, but it was a dump.

What I like best was that the Bruins came onto the ice from the Zamboni doors.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Must have been in 98 or 99 I was at a Bruins game in Vancouver.  My Dad had just purchased my a beer of which I had not even taken a sip out of.  I had the beer sitting on my knee when Sergi Samsonav skated in and dumped a puck on net from the blueline.  The harmless looking shot beat the goaltender and cought me off guard.  It was an automatic reaction to jump up.  When I did, my beer went airborn about 10 feet and soaked everyone for the next 10 or so rows in front of me.  At first I felt bad but after I endured 3 periods of heckling because of my Bruins jersey, I later thought of it as funny.  Bruins won the game, I pissed of some Canucks fans, I was happy.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I never saw any rats and no circus smell, and I believe the circus come in the fall - which was the reason for the early road trip every year.

The place had character, I'll grant that, but it was a dump.

What I like best was that the Bruins came onto the ice from the Zamboni doors.

Man, I haven't thought about that in years.  Nice one!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I disagree with painting the Garden as a place that was bad, unsafe or unwelcoming for women.  I went to plenty of games with my parents in the 80s and always took dates to games.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

December 3, 2005. I was working in Alberta at the time, and because of my travel schedule and work obligations it had been years since I'd been able to see the Bruins live. Bruins were scheduled to play the Oilers and my brother bought us both sweet just up from the glass seats as a birthday present for me. I hadn't been that excited to see a game in a long time.

Then two days before the game, Thornton got traded

Long story short, that lead to me and my brother watching the game with our Bruins jerseys on and paper bags with eyeholes and the spoked B and  "Say it ain't so, Joe" on them over our heads. During a TV break, Brad Boyes caught sight of us and started laughing his head off and tossed us a thumbs up. About two minutes later Boyes tied up the game at three - one goal each before the game ended and then Tanabe scored in OT for a 5-4 Bruins win.

Next to game two against Van, that's my most memorable live B's game.