Should have kept Pierce and KG--

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlouca. Show mlouca's posts

Should have kept Pierce and KG--

Would rather have had a few bad years with KG and PP retiring as Celtics. Boston will be lucky to get anything close to the value of what we sent away.

Clipper and nets will be be decent for at least 3-4 years; if we are lucky we get an extra pick from from the 18the  to 25th pick--a wide range of skills/talent. example are Eric Bledsoe, James Johnson, Terrence Williams,Courtney Lee,Marco Belinelli,Quincy Douby. lots of these guy wont be in the nba in a few years. at best we most will be solid back-ups.

the notion that trading bird or mchale would have saved us from years of years of mediocrity is exaggerated and probably not true. i very much enjoyed being a celtic fan in the late 80's even when they were past their prime. we got very unlucky with reggie and len bias. we had number of decent picks in those years: MSmith, Acie Earl, Jérome Moïso, Joseph Forte, Eric Montross  etc. most of whom made little long term impact.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Re: Should have kept Pierce and KG--

In response to mlouca's comment:

Would rather have had a few bad years with KG and PP retiring as Celtics. Boston will be lucky to get anything close to the value of what we sent away.

Clipper and nets will be be decent for at least 3-4 years; if we are lucky we get an extra pick from from the 18the  to 25th pick--a wide range of skills/talent. example are Eric Bledsoe, James Johnson, Terrence Williams,Courtney Lee,Marco Belinelli,Quincy Douby. lots of these guy wont be in the nba in a few years. at best we most will be solid back-ups.

the notion that trading bird or mchale would have saved us from years of years of mediocrity is exaggerated and probably not true. i very much enjoyed being a celtic fan in the late 80's even when they were past their prime. we got very unlucky with reggie and len bias. we had number of decent picks in those years: MSmith, Acie Earl, Jérome Moïso, Joseph Forte, Eric Montross  etc. most of whom made little long term impact.

Time to move on.Garnett and Pierce are in the end of theirs careers.Givem them a chance to another ring and let the celtics start the rebuilding.Fair for both party.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlouca. Show mlouca's posts

tough crowd no sentimentality in here. wow. 

we should trade brady then. a package deal with david ortiz for some 2nd round draft picks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

I agree with you totally...right now we have dirt and I would much rather have watched Pierce and KG play the next two years...somehow the Nets are now positioned better for a ring, but if we had kept them we would not?...

I would have rather remained competitive and seen what we could have done with the return of Rondo and Sully....rebuilding suxxx

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to debrit's comment:

[QUOTE]

Agree 100%Let the rebuilding start.Thank you Paul,Thank you KG.We paid you well,you both played good ball for our team.This trade was a genius.Paul and Garnett wont lose any money,both will have full salary with the nets and a chance for another ring.Fair to both sides.

Time to move on.Garnett and Pierce are in the end of theirs careers.Givem them a chance to another ring and let the celtics start the rebuilding.Fair for both party.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I am looking at this trade now as just plain garbage.  We had a great leader in Garnett who could have retired a Celtic and taught the younger players for another year as he gets ready to retire.  Instead we have Humphries...aweful.  Ditto on PP.  We are paying Wallace 30million....are you kidding me. The guy is pathetic.  I understand moving on but we could have still rebuilt with our veterans playing less and less and then passing the torch.  Getting rid of jet was fine he never really was a celtic.  I like the new coach and the change and I partially understand trading the vets because of that but do u really think the nets are winning an NBA title this year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Oops...........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+10 !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

how do you fools feel now that all our "garbage" has a much better W/L record than the Nets? And Pierce and Garnett are looking very old, very slow and not very productive. This trade was a steal....for the Celtics. I jsut wish we would lose more to secure a higher draft pick and start the rebuild.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

how do you fools feel now that all our "garbage" has a much better W/L record than the Nets? And Pierce and Garnett are looking very old, very slow and not very productive. This trade was a steal....for the Celtics. I jsut wish we would lose more to secure a higher draft pick and start the rebuild.

[/QUOTE]

You proved my point Quag you "fool".  We would have been better off keeping the aging guys and get a higher draft pick by losing more.  The deal was certainly no steal.  Paying Wallace is that money for 3 years is painful.  I would much rather watch KG and PP play less and retire after the season to open up cap room and playing time for the young guys.  Winning was not the objective this season.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

KG was on record many times as  stating that he'd never play for another coach than Rivers.  JKidd with Pierce and what seemed like a stacked team was the only exception.  Rivers left, and KG was not going to stick around and rebuild with a new coach in Boston.  The trade was the right thing to do.  I know Pierce would have stayed, but at a lot of money and the expense of developing young players and a new era.  Because that's what we're in, a new era of Celtic basketball, and I'm embracing it.  Pierce would have resorted to his pre-Doc ways and sabotaged this teams development under it's new coach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pine8ball. Show pine8ball's posts

For sentimental reasons I would have kept PP and KG and let them finish out their careers in Boston. But with the future in mind we did the right thing and let them go looking to the future. We have a few guys that will be with us going down the road and a few that are going to hit the road after this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

how does this all look now.

listen i was beyond sad when PP/KG left but it had to happen for the team.

look, we are in line for a top 5 pick and can use our many 1sts to make a blockbuster deal if needed.

the nets are complete mediocrity right now. 7-seed in a horrible conference gonna have a horrible pick.

KG will most likely retire after this year and PP will either join our coaching staff/retire a C/ or be a 6th man for us next year.

if that happens, we absolutely FLEECED the nets. FLEECED.