1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!

I love Rondo. I don't understand why his free throws are so poor. It is 1 for 5 tonight. If he went to 2 for 5, Cs won the game in regulation and no overtime was needed. How many games Cs lost due to Rondo's poor FT? The other one I remember was in Clippers last year or the year before.

Who else in NBA shot 1 for 5 as a point guard in a game? I guess Rondo has another record.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!

Shaq (4-5fts tonight) needs to give Rondon some FT lessons...LOL>  Seriously, after tonight, I think Shaq will have a better FT shooting percentage than Rondo, which is disturbing. I think it's more a confidence thing than it is Rondo's form or something, 'cause I have seen Rondo go into stretches where he shoots FTs great, but when he misses a few, he loses his confidence and starts to aim the fts instead of trusting his form.  He just has to go up there and shoot it with confidence and show the same cockiness to FTs that he shows for his assists. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

I have noticed whenever Tim Duncan shot his free throws he always posed his body and feet the same. I hope Rondo can find a best body position and stays the same everytime he goes to the line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Have you noticed how smooth Rondo's jumper has been of late (when he shoots in rhythm, i.e.)?  Maybe he should shoot J's from the charity stripe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

West and Davis should finish games while Shack and Rondo rest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!:
    [QUOTE]I love Rondo. I don't understand why his free throws are so poor. It is 1 for 5 tonight. If he went to 2 for 5, Cs won the game in regulation and no overtime was needed. How many games Cs lost due to Rondo's poor FT? The other one I remember was in Clippers last year or the year before. Who else in NBA shot 1 for 5 as a point guard in a game? I guess Rondo has another record.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

I used to confuse Rondo with Ben Wallace at the charity stripe. Thanks to Mark Price's superior FT mentoring two years ago, Rondo's form on most nights is now noticeably superior to gentle Ben's (except maybe for last night).

Rondo will consistently draw iron even if he doesn't get the bounce.  

With Ben... all bets are off.

Frankly, I used to confuse their jumpers too....

But that's another story.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

It is troubling seeing Rondo shooting free throws but...what guard rebounds like he does?.....he gets us another scoring opportunity with every board......top 2 in steals....this gives us more scoring opportunities......league leader in assists by what, 2-3 per game....this equates to another 4-6 ppg....he can get to the rim as well....look, Rondo is no worse a free throw shooter than Russ or Wilt were...yes point guards need to shoot for a higher percentage and he needs to keep working on it.....but he contributes in so many ways...maybe he needs to see a hypnotist like Maury Wills did back in the day....it is definitely a mental block...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!:
    [QUOTE]I love Rondo. I don't understand why his free throws are so poor. It is 1 for 5 tonight. If he went to 2 for 5, Cs won the game in regulation and no overtime was needed. How many games Cs lost due to Rondo's poor FT? The other one I remember was in Clippers last year or the year before. Who else in NBA shot 1 for 5 as a point guard in a game? I guess Rondo has another record.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

Yeah and if he only has 7 assists they they lose in regulation. What team are you trolling for today?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Rebounds:  --  Westbrook  --  6.4  --  Paul  --  5.3  --  Rondo  --  5.2  --  Williams  --  4.7  =  Rondo 3rd best Rebounder!

Foul Shooting:  --  Westbrook  --  91%  --  Paul  --  90%  --  Williams  --  80%  --  Rondo  --  46%.  =  Rondo last.

Donny Marshall pointed out how Rondo is out of balance shooting fouls.  How he shoots flat-footed most of the time.

Then Ray got fouled, and you can see how he shoots with both heels up  --  on his tip-toes.  Everything in perfect balance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!:
    [QUOTE]Have you noticed how smooth Rondo's jumper has been of late (when he shoots in rhythm, i.e.)?  Maybe he should shoot J's from the charity stripe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Yes like Hal Greer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

[QUOTE]West and Davis should finish games while Shack and Rondo rest.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

And so those assists made by Rondo to Ray would be done by who?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

As a defender of Rondo and everything else he brings to the game, he has got to work on his free throws.  He is regressing not improving. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Have you noticed how smooth Rondo's jumper has been of late (when he shoots in rhythm, i.e.)?  Maybe he should shoot J's from the charity stripe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Hey Joel ... long time no see. Don't know if you were funnin', as we say down south, but I've been thinking that a while. Somebody used to do that, though I can't remember who. (Al Wood, maybe?).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Sometimes regression comes before improvement because a player is trying new things; Baby went through that a couple years ago and look at him now; but I suspect Rondo's regerssion is fear based...fear of embarassment from failure, but hey Rajon, the foul shooting really couldn't get much worse, so keep heaving it again and again, and take it the rim at the end of the game again and again, otherwise the coach owes it to the team to play someone who will do so (note: at the end of the games only).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo is such a dichotomy...........he is great in so many facets of the game......rebounding, steals (although he gambles too much when inside the lane letting his man beat him to try the behind the back swipe putting the defense into turmoil.....although getting better), but if he was working on his FT over the summer he has gotten worse.........he had been a career 60% shooter which is bad but this year he ranks 66 our of 69 guards in the NBA that have taken a FT shooting an abyssmal 46% (12 for 26)............it is the one facet of the game that is stopping him from being in the top 5 active guards......not sure if he will ever get it.......... Lovetruth had mentioned how many games we may have lost because of it but it goes deeper than the points........how many games have we lost because in the fourth quarter opposing teams play off him allowing a double team off the ball...........not alone that he is reluctant at that point to go to the hoop because he doesn't want to go to the line which takes him out of what he does best...........we would be much better served to have Delonte in at the end of the game or even Nate and let Rondo sit.......his ego will have him shooting FT a lot better or at least practicing them........
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

You pretty much nailed it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?! : Hey Joel ... long time no see. Don't know if you were funnin', as we say down south, but I've been thinking that a while. Somebody used to do that, though I can't remember who. (Al Wood, maybe?).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Hal Greer.

Pud

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Wilt used to take off from the foul line, do a long jump and dunk it.

Of course, they made that illegal, just like many things were made illegal because of him!!

But he still couldn't beat Russ!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I started a thread on Rondo's shooting and the C's chances for this year.
    All I can say now is ... it is what it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I noticed Rondo had his third and fourth fingers looking like they were bandaged together.  Could that be the problem? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

He shoots it straight.  It never gets over the basket.  He should arch it more.  I tell my HS kids - "it's a parabola".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?! : Hey Joel ... long time no see. Don't know if you were funnin', as we say down south, but I've been thinking that a while. Somebody used to do that, though I can't remember who. (Al Wood, maybe?).
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    Hi, Lloyd.  As greenkilltime and Pud pointed out above, it was Hal Greer, who was a career eighty per cent from the line.  I think Rondo has a nice stroke on his jumper when, as I said before, he shoots it in rhythm.  He obviously needs to get more body into the shot.  So why not give it a try? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldtimerceltfan. Show oldtimerceltfan's posts

FIVE YEARS PEOPLE! Five Years, He been here Five Years. HOW LONG? How Long do we give him to improve? He is the FIRST PG in NBA history to not have TWO things that all PG's always had, A some what decent jumper, and free throw, it is a big part of a PG skills. Yet too many of you out there are acting like Mothers who claim their son could do no wrong, when he's really out there stealing. You refuse to see it. Just look what we are doing to protect Rondo, we are considering subing for him near game end to protect him from Free Throws, Subing for him for a PG with a jumper. We are doing these thing, and saying things like' He's the Best PG ever, He's an elite Pg.  I don't know what games you watch, but I in my life have never seen an elite, or best PG subbed for at game end because lack of skills. When he doe not shoot, or make FT's the other four have to make up for it, by trying to get those possible points back. It's not fair to them to have to work harder for his lack of. FIVE YEARS.
    Before you say anything like give him more time. consider this. Big Baby is short, and I am surprised he still here. And then I see his improvements in his FIVE YEARS, and I see why he still here. (do your thing BB) Rondo would never been drafted 10 yrs ago.
    Im not a Rondo hater, he a good kid. But im a Celtic lover who want the best for my team, that is everyone doing his JOB! But there's Mothers out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Old timer.
    Like you I have followed the Celtics for many years.  Rondo is different,  how can you not see it?  When have you seen a PG win two finals games singlehanded. Not to mention dominating Cleveland and Orlando in those series.   I am as troubled as you are about his free throws and lack of perimeter shooting, but to dismiss his dominance in passing the ball and disrupting opposing teams is crazy.  The best for the Celtics is to have him leading the team and expecting improvement in his shooting.  It is frustrating possibly even dangerous to have him out there but like the air we breath it is essential for life.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldtimerceltfan. Show oldtimerceltfan's posts

[QUOTE]Old timer. Like you I have followed the Celtics for many years.  Rondo is different,  how can you not see it?  When have you seen a PG win two finals games singlehanded. Not to mention dominating Cleveland and Orlando in those series.   I am as troubled as you are about his free throws and lack of perimeter shooting, but to dismiss his dominance in passing the ball and disrupting opposing teams is crazy.  The best for the Celtics is to have him leading the team and expecting improvement in his shooting.  It is frustrating possibly even dangerous to have him out there but like the air we breath it is essential for life.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I understand what your saying, but Rondo not the only PG getting a lot of assist this year. An assist is not an assist until the ball go in the hoop. Rondo also has dumb turnovers on dumb passes too. not much but at critical times. I don't see how he is different. Steve nash, williams, Ellis and others are also disrupting to teams.