10 Best SFs Past 3 Decades

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Re: 10 Best SFs Past 3 Decades

I'd put Barkley and Erving ahead of a few of those picks for sure.  First, you don't get any smaller in the SF category, and you do get total toughness in Barkley, something Dantley couldn't provide.  Leaving Erving off the list is nothing more than ignorance - the author probably is too young to have really experienced the '80s. The list seems based on offense only and that's a problem to me. "Best" doesn't just mean shooting, but I guess to the author it does.  How including Mullins and not the Doctor is just absurd. The author admits to being a Knicks fan, a New Yorker, so picking another NY guy, Mullins, shows an unfortunate bias when trying to create a list of "best".  Alex English? Really, Alex English and not Chuckles or the Doctor?  I think the author also writes comedy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Strongly disagree with the article.  Where is Dr. J?  Barkley was a PF, so I have no problem with that.  Worthy is too low, Dantley and Wilkens are too high.  My top 5 would be Bird, Erving, Pippen, Worthy and LeBron.  English was a great player, but should also be lower.  Dantley I considered more of a PF as well!

Good piece, though!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I agree that Doctor J. is easily in the top 5 and probably #2 IMO. Scottie Pippen as #3 is ridicilous. Mullin shouldn't be in the top 10 period. I do give him credit for putting Bernard King in the top 10. IMO, he was one of the most under rated players from that era. Injuries hurt his career totals, however his career stats are still very impressive. I also agree with Adrien Dantley as a top 10. Rating Dantley as #5 may be a little too high. The others are no brainers such as Worthy, Dominique and Bird of course as #1. I am biased, but I agree that Pierce belongs.
        George the Ice Man Gervin played for a while during the 80's if I remember correctly. If my memory serves me correctly, he began his career in the ABA much like Dr.J and entered the NBA in the mid 70's and retired in the  mid 80's. He was a scoring machine. He is easily in the top 10 and maybe a top  5.

My list in order: Bird, Erving, James, Gervin, Wilkins, Dantley, Worthy, King, Pierce, Pippen.

Barkley was a power forward and therefore he's not on my list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Larry Bird
    Dr. J
    Rick Barry

Small gap then

Bernard King
    Dominique Wilkins

Fairly large Gap then

Alex English

Chris Mullin
    James Worthy
    Terry Cummings

Scottie Pippen

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

I forgot Lebron, obviously in the top ten already.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Dr. J should be on this list.
    Barkley was a PF and so shouldn't be on the list.
    Rick Barry retired IMO 1980 and isn't on the list per definition.
    Pierce should be on this list, but 6th is quite high.
    Mullins is difficult, IMO his defense kills his chances for a top 10 spot.

Pippen is underrated from most people here. He is clearly Top 5. Best defender of his position (by far). Maybe the best perimeter defender ever. He had as much (or more) success without Jordan as Jordan without him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bark was a PF as already said.

Love how the author knows Pierce is better than Worthy

Since it was last 3 decades this article starts in 1980 I guess.

So the question is, is what Erving did 80-86 better than what Mullin did 85-2000?

I'm sure with the 1 ring and superior all-time status you could argue for Erving, but really a 6 years body of work vs. 15, and an original dream teamer, is hard to displace.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Terry Cumming was a PF.

Gervin in the same boat as Dr. J with half his career in the ABA and 70's.

Pippen was INCREDIBLE. He was one of the best sF defenders of all time. Dunked on Centers. Some of his seasons were like 22 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2.5 steals and 1.5 blocks. NUTS!

Pippen is VERY rare. I'd take a SG-SF tandem of Pippen and Ray Allen (best shooter) over say a Kobe-Worthy tandem:-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

KEDRIC BROWN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Forgot about Kedric, now that was a true find.

People are underrating Bernard King, as unstoppable as you can be from the first time he stepped on the floor at Tennessee in college 25PPG up until he hurt his knee. The guy was a beast.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

WOW, how is Bernard King #10? I'd put him at least #3

King was a monster, unstoppable offensive player and as clutch as they come. Just never played on a top team really.

Pippen over rated as usual. Great player but lets not get carried away. Was Mr Softy when he came into the league, easily intimidated and shied away from the big spots. Certainly got over that though. He'd be in the bottom 5 on my list on a good day.

I think Wilkens is over rated as well. If not for the one game duel against Larry in the playoffs, he'd be all but forgotten on this list if not for his dunking. I agree Nique got robbed when they gifted MJ the dunking title that year. A JOKE!! Shows how the NBA is entertainment & marketing and not real basketball.

With the possible exception of Dr J, Wilkens is the greatest dunker Ive ever seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Not sure if Dr J qualifies, pretty sure he played in the 80's, tail end of career. I guess they didnt go back in time to his earlier years. Both Dr & Havlicek would knock most on this list down a couple pegs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: 10 Best SFs Past 3 Decades:
    [QUOTE]Bark was a PF as already said. Love how the author knows Pierce is better than Worthy Since it was last 3 decades this article starts in 1980 I guess. So the question is, is what Erving did 80-86 better than what Mullin did 85-2000? I'm sure with the 1 ring and superior all-time status you could argue for Erving, but really a 6 years body of work vs. 15, and an original dream teamer, is hard to displace.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Worthy is the best, no question about it Laughing

Not so sure about Mullin over Erving at all. Erving went to the finals three times for one championship, which is a better resume than Mullin, even though Mullin played for a longer period of time.

Mullin never made the finals, and only went deep into the play offs on three occasions. He did so twice towards the end of his career with Indiana. But at that stage he was more of a complimentary player than one of the main players on the team. Mullin has won two Olympic Gold Medals though.

I'd take Erving anyday over Mullin. Even when you're comparing the last 6 years of Ervings Career to all of Mullins. Erving made the play offs every season during the last 6 years of his career, and he was still playing reasonable basketball when he retired at age 36.

Another way to compare Erving to Mullin is look at the last six years of their careers, as this is what we are looking at with Erving. And there is just no comparison at all.

Bird is no doubt the best SF ever. And in all honesty after you've put him there, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Everyone has their favourites and will always be boosting them. Worthy is easily number two on my list, well he's one in my heart, but in my head it's Bird. Erving is three and Pippen four. After that it's like daylight.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 Best SFs Past 3 Decades : Mullin played in the 2000 NBA Finals against the Lakers.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

My bad! Oh man. Cool It's late here and past midnight. Looking at his stats he played a total of 12 minutes in 3 games. Still he did make the finals. But had absolutely no baring on the result.

Still Erving for me. Mullins appearnce in 2000 was seriously a 'token' appearance.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

By the transitive property:

Bird played in the 80's and is on the list;
    Erving played against Bird;
    Therefore, Erving played in the 80's and should be on the list

Welcome back RUWorthy!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 Best SFs Past 3 Decades : I agree, it was like Mitch Richmond's Finals appearance when Richmond was with the Lakers. I totally have no idea why Dr. J wasn't included in the top 10 of the best SFs of the 80s. Maybe the author of that article thinks Dr. J belongs in the 1970s.  
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Exactly right in regards to Mitch. He's an NBA champion, but essentially was in the right place at the right time when we needed a back up/reserve/bench warmer.

It's funny, every article is biased because of the authors views. But I see Erving being as much an 80's player as one from the 70's. Can argue that while his numbers did decline in the 80's, his success with his team improved. Having Moses Malone join in 1982/83 didn't hurt though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]By the transitive property: Bird played in the 80's and is on the list; Erving played against Bird; Therefore, Erving played in the 80's and should be on the list Welcome back RUWorthy!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Hi!

Been to Italy but am now I'm back!

And now I'm off to sleep!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

King and Worthy are way underrated!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Dont understand why all the hoopla over Worthy.

He was a very good player on an all star Laker team but in no way should be cracking anywhere near the top of the list. 

Worthy perfect example of what playing with Kareem & Magic et al can do for a career. (see Scottie Pippen)

Without Magic or on any other team, Worthy is an occassional all star and not even thought about when discussing greatest anything imo.  No offense to RU Worthy either, who's opinion I respect.

Agree with the poster about Bernard King, top 5 in my book, prob higher

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I have to disagree with the James Worthy opinions. I think he easily makes the alltime best small forwards, not just the past 3 decades. I feared him as a player.
       Erving played until 87 if I recall correctly. I'm happy to read the statements about Bernard King. I'm a big fan of Bernard King. I became a fan of his when he played for the Warriors early in his career with The Chief. Bernard would have been a 25,000 career point player hadn't it been for multiple knee surgeries during his career. Remember, knee surgery techniques didn't have the technology  When King played as it does today. Never the less, Bernard still scored just under 20,000 career points. He was also a good defender and a good rebounder for a small forward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

you people are small minded.  all this talk and not a syllable about BILL HANZLIK, a/k/a 'the total package', the ORIGINAL 'white chocolate'

yuk yuk yuk