1987-1997-2007

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: 1987-1997-2007

In Response to 1987-1997-2007:
    [QUOTE]The last time Bird, Parish, and McHale made the Finals was in 1987. They lost to the Lakers in 6 games. It was all downhill after that. Red Auerbach kept the Big 3 intact, hoping they still have one run left in them.  After Larry Bird retired in 1992 the Celts still tried to make the playoffs with players like Xavier McDaniel and a washed up Dominique Wilkins. The Celts ended up exiting in the 1st round of the 1993 playoffs and will not make it to the playoffs again until the 2001-02 season. In the 1997 NBA Draft the Celts had 2 1st round picks, all in the top 6, so they more or less had 2 chances of getting Tim Duncan. Unfortunately the Celts ended up with the #3 and #6 pick. To make the long story short Rick Pitino never coached the Celtics in the playoffs and wasted almost all the future draft picks the Celts had. To Pitino's credit he did draft Paul Pierce in 1998.  Finally, after Pitino left, the Celts made it back to the ECF in 2002. But the Celts were really not a championship team, they just played well enough to get to that point. After that exciting season the Celts never got past the 1st round of the playoffs and hit rock bottom in 2006-07 when the ended up the 2nd worst team in the NBA. We all know what happened in 2007. But it certainly felt like 1997 again after the Celts didn't get the 1st or the 2nd pick of the 2007 Draft. Anyway, my point is the Celts only managed to find success after becoming a lottery team. There is no shortcut, the only way to get back to the top is to go back down. But there's an exception, if the Celts get Dwight Howard then the Celts don't have to become a lottery team anymore! Maybe it's a long shot, but trying to get Dwight is better than not trying at all! Who knows, what if Austin Rivers becomes a Celtic? Imagine Doc Rivers coaching his own son in Celtic green. Wow!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Hey Dwight we have nobody under contract, no talent on the roster, and almost no chance of winning but we think that if you sign a long term contract here then you would be able to lure big time talent to Boston with the hopes that someday, somehow we can win another title.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

In Response to 1987-1997-2007:
    [QUOTE] And who knows, what if Austin Rivers becomes a Celtic? Imagine Doc Rivers coaching his own son in Celtic green. Wow!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Name me a father-son duo that has ever been succesful in the NBA, or in any sport for that matter.  I won't be holding my breath.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: 1987-1997-2007:
    [QUOTE]In Response to 1987-1997-2007 : Name me a father-son duo that has ever been succesful in the NBA, or in any sport for that matter.  I won't be holding my breath.
    Posted by icnd[/QUOTE]

There has been some discussion about increasing the limit to at least two years out of high school instead of one year out of high school.  So that means at least two more years before Rivers will be coming out if the new CBA includes that stipulation.  By then the Cs could very well be in the lottery.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: 1987-1997-2007:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1987-1997-2007 : There has been some discussion about increasing the limit to at least two years out of high school instead of one year out of high school.  So that means at least two more years before Rivers will be coming out if the new CBA includes that stipulation.  By then the Cs could very well be in the lottery.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

I think that college players should play at least two years before deciding to enter the draft.  Many college players aren't ready to play in the NBA yet and the extra year gives them more time to mature.  Some even decide to stay for the entire four years so they can graduate.  Which definitely can be a good decision for many college players.