2008 Celtics vs. 2011 Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kceltic34. Show kceltic34's posts

2008 Celtics vs. 2011 Celtics

I realize it is still early to begin drawing comparisons between this year's team and the championship squad of 2008, but then again, the Celts did just pull off their first playoff sweep since 1992.  Is this an early indicator that an 18th banner will be hanging in the Garden soon?

I realize arguments can be made.  The Celtics swept a beat up, inexperienced, and poorly coached Knicks team.  And yes, the first two wins weren't pretty wins.  Despite the fact that it is going to be a tough task to defeat both the Heat and the Bulls, I believe this year's team has what it takes to bring in one more banner before the Big Three fade into the sunset of their Hall of Fame careers.  But as the Celtics stand right now, how do they compare to the championship team of 2008?

Just to refresh your memory, here are the rosters.

2008 Celtics:

PG: Rajon Rondo
    SG:Ray Allen
    SF:Paul Pierce
    PF:Kevin Garnett
    C:Kendrick Perkins
    Bench:
    Tony Allen, P.J. Brown, Sam Cassell, Glen Davis, Eddie House, Leon Powe, Gabe Pruitt, Brian Scalabrine, and James Posey
    *Scott Pollard (injured)

2011 Celtics:
    PG: Rajon Rondo
    SG: Ray Allen
    SF:Paul Pierce
    PF: Kevin Garnett
    C:Jermaine O'Neal
    Bench:
    Carlos Arroyo, Avery Bradley, Glen Davis, Jeff Green, Nenad Kristic, Troy Murphy, Sasha Pavlovic, Von Wafer, Delonte West
    *Shaquille O'Neal (injured)

So, let's hear you guys make your case...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

Re: 2008 Celtics vs. 2011 Celtics

the starters are the same, rondo and center are better now, the big 3 were younger and therefore better
    bench :
    baby is better now
    ta a defender + eddie house a shooter + posey + cassel + pj and powe
    vs
    dwest + pavlovic + green + arroyo + krstic and murphy and....shaq
    ta and eddie house vs dwest and pavlovic, better in 2008
    posey vs green, i don't know
    the bigs, better now with shaq otherwise better in 2008

so, shaq is the deciding factor in my opinion

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

The two teams have a different supporting cast. The lead actors are the same except for a more experienced Rondo and J.O at center rather than Perk. The big 3 are 3 years older but still a force despite their age. I think the J.O of today and Perk are a wash.
       Regarding the bench. The 2008 bench had the experienced stopper in Posey which this team may be lacking as well as T.A. Green has the potential  for some big games. I'm hoping for the best thus far with Green. Delonte is in a slump and will come around. 
         Our two most important bench players are Big Baby who was just a rookie in 2008 and hardly played in the playoffs and hopefully Shaq who I'm optimistic will be back for game 1 of the Miami series. I have a feeling Shaq will play with the second unit as J.O has fit in well the first unit.
         To sum it up, the 2008 team and the 2011 team are both great teams. I think this years team can win it all if Shaq gets healthy and the rest of the rotation players stay healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

More potentially talented bench this year but that does not mean anything. 2008 bench played with so much passion and desire, they were willing to literally fight. I have seen only glimpses of that this year.. Leon Powe was incredible that year...BBD is much better than that year but has played bad with the exception of one game...DWest much better than Eddie HOuse but has played ok...so, 2011 bench just potentially better...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Unknown,

The 2008 team was defensive force. The 2011 team has yet to prove itself.

Certainly JO is a better offensive player, and shot blocker than Perk, however, it has yet to be determined whether he can play defense with the big boys. He may be great now that his knee is better, or he may not get it done. We won't know until the finals. The big test will be Bynum and Gasol against JO and KG, or JO, Shaq and KG.

Certainly with Shaq, and JO, the team is better offensively at the center position, but Shaq is too slow, and gets into foul trouble with reach-in fouls.

We will see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Starting 5:
    I'll have to go with v2011 due to experience (Big 4 have won a title and know what it takes now) and maturation of Rondo, even though Pierce v2011 is not as explosive offensively as Pierce v2008. I also like a healthy JO over Perk.

Bench:
    Baby v2011 is better than v2008.
    West is a better b/u PG than EHouse.
    Shaq (assuming he returns) has no peer on the 2008 team.

Green is more versatile than Posey, though Posey was a better defender; advantage Posey.
    Brown was better than Krstic.
    Powe has no peer on the 2011 team. Ditto Cassell.

Trick or Treat was a non-factor in 2008 and a non-factor in 2011.

Presuming Shaq returns and comes off the bench, I give the edge to v2011. There's just no way any team is going to be able to match up with Shaq coming off the bench. He is the X Factor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posey is one of my favorite former Celtics players and I believe a big reason that we won the championship in 2008.   PJ Brown and Powe were also big contributors during our 2008 playoff series.   Not sure that our current bench is nearly as good as the 2008 team.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

i agree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

rondo is vastly improved. ray and paul are not better but are more efficient now, and could probably play their more athletic but less experienced selves to a draw.

the crucial difference is KG. he has played much better than last year but is still a shell of his former self. 08 KG was 20-10 night after night, while winning a well-deserved defensive player of the year.

talent-wise, the rest of the roster is roughly even, but the 08 squad played with such desire and defensive intensity. in a 7-game series, I'd take the champions in 6 games or even 5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveStigmatic. Show SteveStigmatic's posts

however in 2008 Lebron and was on a Cleveland team without two other stars and the Detriot threat was starting to fade. Although our team's roster might have improved the rest of the East has also drasticly improved as well. Miami should be tough one that we'll get through but the Bulls pose more of a threat than the 2008 Pistons did because of their athleticism and age.