2011 Boston Celtics draft picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

2011 Boston Celtics draft picks

www.nba.com/draft/2011/prospects/jajuan-johnson/">http://www.nba.com/draft/2011/prospects/jajuan-johnson/
    Prospect Profile

JaJuan Johnson

• Full Name: JaJuan Johnson
    • Position: Forward
    • Height/Weight: 6-10 / 221
    • Birthdate: February 8, 1989
    • College: Purdue
    DRAFTED BY: New Jersey Nets Round 1: Pick 27

** Traded to Boston on Draft night

Strengths:

* Great athlete
      * 7-1 wingspan
      * Variety to offensive game
      * Gets to the free-throw line a lot and converts at a high clip
      * Work ethic
      * Good shot blocker

Weaknesses:

* Needs to get bigger and stronger
      * What's his position?

NBA projection:
    The clue came this season. Johnson hadn't made a three-pointer in his first three seasons and had attempted only nine of them. This year, he cranked up 51 and made 15 (.294). Not a great percentage, but given Johnson's work ethic, it stands to get better. If it does, and Johnson can play the three and the four occasionally, his stock rises.

2010-11 Season:
    Johnson had a breakout season, earning consensus All-American honors and becoming only the third player in Big Ten history to win Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. Also won the Pete Newell National Big Man of the Year Award.

Key statistics:
    20.5 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 0.9 apg, 1.6 tpg, 2.3 bpg, 25.4 mpg, .494 FG, .294 3PT, .809 FT

Cool statistic:
    Johnson was the first Purdue player to lead the Big Ten in scoring in league games only (20.7 ppg) since Glenn Robinson in 1994, and the first to lead the conference in scoring in all games since Willie Deane in 2002.

Reminds me of:
    Hakim Warrick

What Insiders Say:
    Purdue assistant coach Jack Owens
    "He's an unbelievable athlete who isn't afraid to work to get better. With his work ethic, his ceiling is off the charts. He's just going to get better and better."

What Outsiders Say:
    VCU coach Shaka Smart
    "Johnson is a versatile player. He can step out on the floor, make jumpers, put it down on the floor [and is] dangerous on the offensive glass."

Saint Peter's coach John Dunne
    "Johnson's tremendous. I mean, you can throw three guys at him, and he can take his little fadeaway and knock it down. Watching the Indiana game, they played a lot of zone, and then they ran doubles at him, and he was hitting jump hooks and right-shoulder turnaround shots with Big Ten big bodies running at him."

Chris Dortch is the editor of the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.

Purdue
    SeasonGMPGFGMFGAPCTFTMFTAPCTRPGAPGSPGBPGPTSAVG
    2007-08 34 16.6 67 159 .421 48 74 .649 3.1 0.3 0.4 1.0 182 5.4
    2008-09 37 26.9 190 352 .540 117 159 .736 5.6 0.7 0.5 2.1 497 13.4
    2009-10 35 31.2 192 379 .507 158 220 .718 7.1 0.7 0.9 2.1 542 15.5
    2010-11 34 35.4 257 520 .494 169 209 .809 8.6 1.0 0.9 2.3 698 20.5
    Totals 140 27.5 706 1410 .501 492 662 .743 6.1 0.7 0.7 1.9 1919 13.7
    Three-point field goals: 2007-08, 0-for-2 (.000); 2008-09, 0-for-3 (.000); 2009-10, 0-for-4 (.000); 2010-11, 15-for-51 (.294). Totals: 15-for-60 (.250).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: 2011 Boston Celtics draft picks

http://www.nba.com/draft/2011/prospects/etwaun-moore/
    Prospect Profile

E'Twaun Moore

• Full Name: E'Twaun Moore
    • Position: Guard
    • Height/Weight: 6-4 / 191
    • Birthdate: February 28, 1989
    • College: Purdue
    DRAFTED BY: Boston Celtics Round 2: Pick 55

Strengths:

* Good shooter
      * Good rebounder for his position
      * Can move over and play the point
      * Tough
      * Solid defender

Weaknesses:

* Good, but not great athlete
      * Needs to continue working on point guard skills

NBA projection:
    Moore can score, but he will probably have to convince a team he's also capable of moving to the point, which he occasionally did at Purdue.

2010-11 Season:
    Moore earned first-team All-Big Ten honors, becoming just the second player in Purdue history to earn some sort of all-conference recognition for straight seasons. Was also a third-team NABC All-America.

Key statistics:
    18.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.1 apg, 1.8 tpg, 1.2 spg, 33.9 mpg, .447 FG, .400 3PT, .709 FT

Cool statistic:
    Moore ended his career as Purdue's co-record holder, along with JaJuan Johnson, in victories (107), games played (140) and consecutive games played (140). He's the solo record holder in three-point field goals (243), games started (136) and minutes played (4,517).

Reminds me of:
    Rodney Stuckey

What Insiders Say:
    Purdue coach Matt Painter
    "He gets in those rhythms and he gets going and he can score points in bunches. I've always felt he's one of the best guards in the country when he lets things come to him. Whether he takes 10 shots or 20 shots, that's his deal. When he can do that, he really, really helps our team."

Purdue assistant coach Jack Owens:
    "An NBA scout told me you can't be that consistent and do the things he's done [in the Big Ten] and not have a chance to play in the NBA."

Chris Dortch is the editor of the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.

Purdue
    SeasonGMPGFGMFGAPCTFTMFTAPCTRPGAPGSPGBPGPTSAVG
    2007-08 34 30.6 159 359 .443 53 74 .716 3.9 2.6 0.9 0.4 437 12.9
    2008-09 37 33.0 188 445 .422 80 105 .762 4.6 3.0 1.1 0.4 512 13.8
    2009-10 35 31.5 212 476 .445 100 137 .730 3.8 2.7 1.5 0.3 575 16.4
    2010-11 34 33.9 221 494 .447 100 141 .709 5.1 3.2 1.2 0.5 612 18.0
    Totals 140 32.3 780 1774 .440 333 457 .729 4.4 2.9 1.2 0.4 2136 15.3
    Three-point field goals: 2007-08, 66-for-152 (.434); 2008-09, 56-for-166 (.337); 2009-10, 51-for-146 (.349); 2010-11, 70-for-175 (.400). Totals: 243-for-639 (.380)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

A+ draft ... 1st time in a long while I didn't come away pizzed off or disappointed. As much as I wanted a big I was actually excited when we picked Brooks. Excitement turned to exasperation when it was announced that we had traded him ... and then back to euphoria when we got one of the bigs I had on my 8 for 8 post. In fact I had both Brooks and Johnson in my 8 picks for #25.

Some video to go along with your stats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-ncwxBKz9lg
    /> Moore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BgAf1rFHxzw
    /> Johnson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Boston Celtics draft picks:
    [QUOTE]A+ draft ... 1st time in a long while I didn't come away pizzed off or disappointed. As much as I wanted a big I was actually excited when we picked Brooks. Excitement turned to exasperation when it was announced that we had traded him ... and then back to euphoria when we got one of the bigs I had on my 8 for 8 post. In fact I had both Brooks and Johnson in my 8 picks for #25. Some video to go along with your stats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-ncwxBKz9lg /> Moore http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BgAf1rFHxzw /> Johnson
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Very successful draft, despite trading Brooks. (Actually trading him made it even better)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Boston Celtics draft picks : Very successful draft, despite trading Brooks. (Actually trading him made it even better)
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

Exactly ... and another 2nd rounder in 2014 as we are rebuilding!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I have seen both of these guys play a lot.  They are both excellent players.  About as multi-dimensional as you can get with these late draft picks.  If Denver thinks Ty Lawson is a key piece on their team then Moore will be fine in the NBA.  Johnson will be a solid contributor for the Celts.  Clearly, this means that Boston will need a big and physical center going forward.  Danny will need to pull that off somehow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]I have seen both of these guys play a lot.  They are both excellent players.  About as multi-dimensional as you can get with these late draft picks.  If Denver thinks Ty Lawson is a key piece on their team then Moore will be fine in the NBA.  Johnson will be a solid contributor for the Celts.  Clearly, this means that Boston will need a big and physical center going forward.  Danny will need to pull that off somehow.
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]

Kwame Brown would actually be a good fit for the C's right now. Brown, JON and another PF and maybe a PF/C would take care of the frontcourt. Then another PG that can shoot (Barea) and maybe a spot-up three and we'd be good to go ... haha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Boston Celtics draft picks : Kwame Brown would actually be a good fit for the C's right now. Brown, JON and another PF and maybe a PF/C would take care of the frontcourt. Then another PG that can shoot (Barea) and maybe a spot-up three and we'd be good to go ... haha

Just by you wanting JJ Barea to become Celtic the chances of Barea wearing green just went down by 99.9%. LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

...considering it's 27th pick, if you pick a guard or small forward your team is doomed!!
    However, you can always recover @ 27th pick if you take a chance for a "BIG MAN"

So for me, the pick is good but not excellent 'cause it's not a proven product yet....but the "big" attribute is a plus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/062411-drafts-dynamic-duo.html

Boston Drafts Dynamic Duo from Purdue

BOSTON – The first round of the 2011 NBA Draft was littered with trades, and one of them allowed the Boston Celtics to wind up snagging a dynamic duo of collegiate teammates.

It was initially announced that the Celtics had made a local selection with the No. 25 pick by choosing Providence College standout Marshon Brooks. Soon thereafter, though, it was announced that Boston had traded the rights to Brooks to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for the rights to former Purdue star JaJuan Johnson and a future second-round pick.

Thirty picks later, Boston chose another Boilermaker – E'Twaun Moore. The duo of Johnson and Moore combined to score nearly 53 percent of Purdue’s points during the 2010-11 NCAA season.

Though Moore was certainly a score at No. 55, the talk of the night surrounded the acquisition of Johnson. In moments, Boston went from adding a high-scoring guard (Brooks) to instead adding a high-scorer, who’s a winner (Johnson), to the frontcourt. Johnson, who stands at 6-foot-10 and weighs 221 pounds, averaged 20.5 PPG and 8.6 RPG during his senior season at Purdue. He finished his career tied for the most total wins of any player who has ever played at the university.

Despite playing in a strong Big Ten conference last season, Johnson was a power from start to finish. The end of his career couldn’t even put an end to his dominance.

After concluding his senior season with a loss in the round of 32 of the NCAA tournament, Johnson was adorned with several high-profile accolades. Those accolades speak for themselves: consensus First-Team AP All-American; Big Ten Player of the Year; Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year; First-Team All-Big Ten; and Big Ten All-Defensive Team.

Impressive, to say the least.

So how does a man with such an accomplished career slip to No. 27 in the Draft, where the Nets originally selected him? The Celtics don’t have the answer to that question, but they were elated to watch it happen.

“Yesterday we didn’t think he would be there, honestly, and he slipped to us,” said Doc Rivers. “Who knows why, but he did.”

The Celtics were clearly happy that he did, and for several reasons.

Though Boston’s yearly title aspirations have been based on defense, for the first time maybe ever, all Rivers could talk about was offense when he spoke about Johnson.

“Pick-and-pop – he’s a terrific shooter for his size,” Rivers said at the team’s Boston headquarters. “He’s extremely athletic; obviously he rebounded well in college, which you hope translates over. But we’ve proven we can get bigs shots, and so if we can get him shots, then he’ll make them.”

Rivers went on to liken Johnson to a young version of three players who have had extremely successful NBA careers: Chris Bosh, Horace Grant, and, yes, Kevin Garnett.

Though Boston’s head coach warned reporters not to compare Johnson and Garnett too closely, Rivers listed his reasons for making such a comment.

“They’re very similar,” Rivers said of Johnson and Garnett. “He’s not Kevin Garnett, alright? So don’t write it, anybody. But they are – same body type. At the same time in their lives, [Johnson’s] probably a better shooter.”

Despite all of the offensive talk, it’s difficult to ignore that Johnson was chosen as the top defensive player in the Big Ten last season. That distinction was given to him over the likes of other shutdown defenders like David Lighty (Ohio State) and Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin). Johnson led the Big Ten in blocked shots, with 73 total swats on the season.

If Johnson was Batman this season at Purdue, Moore was his Robin. The two were mentioned side-by-side all season long, and that continued into the postseason as well. Moore joined Johnson on both the First-Team All-Big Ten roster and the Big Ten All-Defensive Team.

While Johnson was making his living with a sweet touch and great athleticism, Moore was percolating on the perimeter. As a 6-foot-4 guard who can take the ball off the dribble, Moore had a phenomenal senior season at Purdue that included averages of 18.0 PPG, 5.1 RPG and 3.2 APG. He had a great shooting season as well, stroking the ball at a 44.7 percent clip from the field, 70.9 percent from the free-throw line and 40.0 percent from 3-point range.

Johnson and Moore became one of the most feared duos in college basketball because they were dually able to get the job done at both ends of the court. That’s a characteristic that stands out to Danny Ainge, who made the final call on both selections.

“There’s guys that play great offense, there’s guys that are great defensive players, and there’s guys that we refer to as both-ends-of-the-court players,” Ainge stated. “We think we got two of those guys.”

Leading up to the draft, Ainge and Rivers both relayed realistic expectations that they probably wouldn’t draft any players who would make an immediate impact on their team. By the end of Thursday night, that opinion may have changed thanks to a pair of accomplished collegiate teammates who will attempt to bring their bond – and impact – to Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

To say he slipped is a little bit misleading.  Most draft boards have him in the early second round, but I guess I should not be getting in the way of them padding themselves in the back.  Most importantly, let's see if the kid can play.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Dang, they both made All Defense. Along with Bradley and Rondo we may not score alot of points but neither will the other team. LOL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

If you really believe at the time that he slipped, why do you trade down to get him?  Now we have 2 pencil sticks for our bigs (along with Chris Johnson), let's get them in the weight room right away.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Figures.  Danny only keep old calcified veterans at the end of the bench.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

What I liked most about poring over Moore's stats is he averaged double figures in points all four years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If they both can develop I think the ceiling comp players are Jeff Green and Delonte West!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Danny did a lot with a little again, but there is a reason Johnson did not go in the top 10, his supposed unability to defend the post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]Danny did a lot with a little again, but there is a reason Johnson did not go in the top 10, his supposed unability to defend the post.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]
    Actually JJJ did not go in the top 10 because he is not KG.  But then who is?  How many 4's are big, tough and physical that he will have difficulty defending?  Defense is a team concept, right?  After all, NO was trying to defend Gasol with Landry.

JJJ can get pushed around a little on the block.  OK.  But he can be an excellent team/system defender, he can score, he can run, he can get up high.

Danny should thank all the pundits for rating JJJ low and enabling him to to snag him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I want to see a small lineup against the Nets of:
    Rondo
    Bradley
    Moore
    Green
    Johnson
    ....might be spectacular at forcing tempo (pressing and fast breaking)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Boston Celtics draft picks : Kwame Brown would actually be a good fit for the C's right now. Brown, JON and another PF and maybe a PF/C would take care of the frontcourt. Then another PG that can shoot (Barea) and maybe a spot-up three and we'd be good to go ... haha

Kwame may not be a bad pick-up, but I am telling you we had better sign some "beef" named Big Baby...  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

[QUOTE]I think our second team will be Bradley, West, JO, JJ, and Jeff Green. Not a bad second unit.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Who is our starting center in your dream?