2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year

Ever since I first started contacting the Celtics front office on players that I felt they should draft (Jalen Rose with the C's 1st round pick and Lawrence Funderburke with their 2nd round pick back in '94) I have remained committed (and probably should be) to reading scouting reports for guys that I felt would be a good fit for the Celtics. Sorry guys, Kobe Bryant was one of them. Other notables: Zach Randolph and Tony Parker in '01, Rudy Gay in '06, Lee Humphrey(FL) '08 (Ainge had me beat here with Erden), Chris Daniels (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi), Garrett Siler. Obviously they haven't all panned out. Most recently I have wanted Boston to draft Deandre Jordan, I first wanted Serge Ibaka or Nathan Jawai until I saw Jordan drop, last year I thought for sure that Boston would select James Anderson or Damion James. This year my pick is...Keith Benson. I would be thrilled if Boston could pick up Bismack Biyombo and Keith Benson but I don't believe that will happen. I'd select Benson over Biyombo if both players are available.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNfbYNNswU

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year

They haven't hired you yet;-)

Benson will get tossed around like a rag doll for 1-2 years but could eventually be like JaVale McGee. By the time he is (after 20lbs of muscle) the window to win is over.

Guys like Biyombo are so hit and miss. For every Ibaka there is a Thabeet.

If we can sign and trade Baby and (even if not part of that move) score an upgrade at PF for the last gasp title run... then you can stick Benson or Biyombo in the D-league w/ Avery next year. Like we should have done with DeAndre.

I'dpersonally like Ainge to trade the pick as part of his grand scheme to upgrade the roster w/ solid winning vets (that still have gas in the tank) to help us win a title...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Greg Smith of Fresno St is similar in upside to Biyombo/Benson and perhaps more worth the gamble if we are talking D-league w/ Avery for a year and then both part of a core with the 2012 pick in the teens, Rondo, Green and whatever free agents we can get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Barring a trade and assuming we need a CONTRIBUTOR to next years team (not another Walker/Avery type frosh) then I'd like to see us move up and get one of these two guys:

SG - Klay Thompson

son of Mychal, GREAT shooter, a jr groomed behaind Ray for a year or two and then the future 20ppg SG. Rondo needs a stretch the d guard beside him for sure.

PF - Markieff Morris

bruising big 2" taller than BBD. another Jr. from a perennial top 5 team he should almost replace what Baby was giving us (as a rookie) and ease the loss of KG soon after. Not a star but a glue guy 12p-7r type who can help right away and would be way better to pay 12 million to over the next 5 years ages 22-26 than to pay Baby 30 million ages 26-30.

I'd trade our 2012 pick (since we have the Clips) in a SECOND to move up from 25 to the 16-19 range either of those two may drop into. I wonder if it would be enough though?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

Marshon Brooks 6' 5'' guard-forward out of Providence scores with easy ability, dropped 52 against Notre Dame and 44 against Georgetown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year:
    [QUOTE]rame, I Can't remember an NBA team that won a championship averaging less than 40 rebounds per game. The Celts won't even have a Center next season if JO retires. I don't think the Celts can still make another run at the championship next season.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I don't think the team we have now will be the one we see in August. So lets just wait and see what happens.

JO is 32, owed over 6 million and felt better than he had in a long time the past  month. It was his wrist and back spasms... not his knees... that hurt him. I'd say he is good for 16-20 mins, 5 points, 4 boards and a block. (hey aren't those Perk's playoff averages?)

Shaq or Yao can be the vet min 3rd string C we expect nothing out of:-)

We just need a legit 32 min starting C and Danny has to get on that. I made a Davis, Krstic, (signed and traded) and a 1st rd pick in '12 for Kaman suggestion. 1 year, 12 million, LA needs a stable bench behind Griffin/Jordan (and the $ to sign Jordan).

We are not looking good if it is a Krstic/JO/Shaq trio we depend on. But i think we can swing a deal somehow. I wonder what the MLE will bring us?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Marshon Brooks 6' 5'' guard-forward out of Providence scores with easy ability, dropped 52 against Notre Dame and 44 against Georgetown
    Posted by SoxCsBruins[/QUOTE]

Brooks team with West and one of Pierce/Green would be a fearsome bench and we'd have few scoring droughts.

Than again, he is a selfish turnover prone player who does nothing to address our series need of a rebounder.

If we decide to go SG to long-term replace Allen, over PF to replace KG... then Brooks would be my 2nd choice to Thompson. As long as we somehow solved the crisis in the middle thru trades and/or the MLE.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd take Brooks before I took good character selfless tweeners like shelvin Mack, Reggie Jackson or Nolan Smith.

When you get down to it I'd always take a Jordan Crawford for my bench over a  Keith Bogans... to make a refrence to the recent Bulls-Hawks series.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year : It would be great if Chris Kaman becomes our starting Center next season. If the Celts can get Kaman for Davis and Krstic then I'm all for it. 

I'd even throw in a pick. I just started a thread on that.

The best part is his 1 year deal, we can offer Howard the max still, or just fall back to Kaman w/ maybe a lil cap room left.

I think Danny has to decide asap if howard is a possibility.... b/c I personally think we have 1 more run... I wonder what KG and/or Ray could bring back in **wink wink** expiring contract tpo save someone money type move... where they are immediately bought out and return her efor the vet minimum.

such a move would of course kill our 2012 cap space

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Fierce, We will never win without a C and with rondo hurt. It would help in the future if the refs kept the games clean, and a little more even w/ the free throws... but we can worry about that when the time comes.

I'd expect Delonte and Paul to get big mins on Wade in the future. He is 29 and will have his own bumps and bruises to deal with, but yes he totally outplayed Ray. Which is why Wade needs to be bumped around himself by a guy 2" and 15lbs bigger than him and another guy nearly his height, w/ all his quickness and  some gritty under your chin D.

Ray needs to be used sparingly to exhaust Wade on screens and outplay a James Jones b/c he is fresh and not tired from chasing and banging with Wade.

Consistency from the big 3 is the key and from Ray/KG it is huge. To win in the future they need to be 25-28 min guys in the reg season... with the legs in them for 29-32 minute playoff burst. They were overworked in the past 2 years. KG has Parish/Hakeem/Kareem like staying power... as a complementary 4th best player. Ray is the new Reggie... a sniper till 39 (if you have Artest and Steph Jackson to lean on).

KG had the 28-8... Ray was pretty hot in games 1 and 5. They are not done. Just need to be correctly used.

They need thier legs and CANNOT produce duds... jus must bet seamlessly fit into a new scheme. Our defense was still great. games in the 80's and 90's. always a hand in the face. The shots Wade/LBJ made were insane and abberations (quite frankly) to what you can forever expect. emotions carried them past a damaged team when they smelled blood and were allowed to hurt us. When th eplayign field is more even as Danny builds a deeper healthier team... the outcome could change.

Rondo has to get an improved shot and transition into an offense with Green getting 35 mins and 20 points. A big like Kaman providing major mins and another young gun along w/ DWest to run and score will be the new Celtics.

Then the big 3 can be the glue and the emotional leaders as 4th-6th best guys on the team... filling in the holes with their savvy, while kept well-rested, and saved for big moments.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Red had traded McHale for a #1 pick and Schrempf (Def offered and mulled over before ainge was instead traded) then drafted Tim Hardaway (was the choice till last minute reverse) and Vlade Divac... we'd have had a VERY entertaining early 90's of East finals vs. the Bulls for 3 years.

THAT is what I expect the next 3 years to be like.

KG (Parish)
    Ray (Ainge)
    Pierce (Bird)

mixed with

Reggie Lewis (Green)
    Hardaway (Rondo)
    Delonte (Shaw)
    Divac (Kaman)
    Avery (Dee Brown)

and whatever young scorer we turn the collection of picks or the MLE into to be like Schrempf.

The point of this fictional analogy is that Ainge said at the time he'd have never made the mistakes Red did w/ the old core and wouldn't with this team.

'08 was '06 the top... '10 was '87 (finals loss w/ injured team) and '11 was '88 (torch passed)

But DA will keep us a top 3 team in the East thru the 3 yrs Pierce, Ray (and maybe KG) are here. forever battling the Heat/Bulls w/ things like homecourt and injuries the deciding factor every season.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year : It would be great if Chris Kaman becomes our starting Center next season. If the Celts can get Kaman for Davis and Krstic then I'm all for it. 

Or Kaman in Sign & Trade for Baby, Sheed and a second/first round draft pick?  I remembered reading somewhere that Sheed could not have un-retired and got traded for 1-year.  The Clips get some pieces and save big on money.  Should appeal to Donald Sterling.  The Celts get a center whose contract expires in 2012.

The Celts have to trade approx $9.8M in contract to get Kaman under the current rules.  That means Baby gets $3+M contract.  The numbers match.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year : I'd even throw in a pick. I just started a thread on that. The best part is his 1 year deal, we can offer Howard the max still, or just fall back to Kaman w/ maybe a lil cap room left. I think Danny has to decide asap if howard is a possibility.... b/c I personally think we have 1 more run... I wonder what KG and/or Ray could bring back in **wink wink** expiring contract tpo save someone money type move... where they are immediately bought out and return her efor the vet minimum. such a move would of course kill our 2012 cap space
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Yes, **wink wink**.  Depends upon how much the Celts want to spend this year.  Also, other than 2012 cap space, this may also not work if the season is cut short.  There may not be enough time to wait 30 days and then gel as a team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Avery will get some PT,Kaman is as in good as knee shape as JO. As for bigs in order 1 TYson Chandler above and beyond. 2 Sam Delembert Would thrive in our system not as young but he could be very effective with us.3 Give Murph a real shot,or maybe Chris Wilcox or Krstic  As far as the list I got off ESPN Kaman isn't a FA until next year. Benson is a valid idea maybe even in the second round the kid from Richmond Harper? is a possibility.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Jeremy Tyler for the short and long-term C/PF. 19 yo with significantly more upside than DeAndre Jordan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 NBA Draft-my pick for this year : If JO retires we will have $6 million more dollars to spend. Plus a first round pick and the MLE. All this team really needs is a starting center and a backup point guard.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

no we won't.

We are over the cap with or w/o JON. We just have the MLE.

JO is WAAAY more valuable to us as either the backup C who gives us the defense we saw this past month or an exp contract we can trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]They haven't hired you yet;-) Benson will get tossed around like a rag doll for 1-2 years but could eventually be like JaVale McGee. By the time he is (after 20lbs of muscle) the window to win is over. Guys like Biyombo are so hit and miss. For every Ibaka there is a Thabeet. If we can sign and trade Baby and (even if not part of that move) score an upgrade at PF for the last gasp title run... then you can stick Benson or Biyombo in the D-league w/ Avery next year. Like we should have done with DeAndre. I'dpersonally like Ainge to trade the pick as part of his grand scheme to upgrade the roster w/ solid winning vets (that still have gas in the tank) to help us win a title...
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

If Benson were to gain 15-20 lbs he would make a solid Center but I believe that he is a natural PF. The great thing is that there will be a few good players available for Boston. The bad thing is that Ainge has a bad habit of not picking them! He'll probably select a guy who will never see the light of day like Giddens (over Deandre Jordan) and Bradley (over James Anderson and Damion James).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

[QUOTE]Jeremy Tyler for the short and long-term C/PF. 19 yo with significantly more upside than DeAndre Jordan.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]
    I forgot about this kid. Interesting story: skipped his last year in high school to become a pro overseas. So far he has done horribly. Incredible talent but no discipline, poor work ethic, and poor fundamentals. You would think that he was a kid straight out of High School. Oh yeah, he is.  He could be a steal for Boston. Working with three future Hall of Famers could get his *ss in gear. It's a tough one with this kid. Could take several years to get to his potential but he would still be better than what Boston had after the trade of Perkins and Erden. I would still go with either Biyombo or Benson. I really like Benson who could be used as a replacement for KG but that gaping hole in Boston's interior makes a guy like Biyombo a necessity. If Ainge were to pick up Dwight Howard or Deandre Jordan I would select Benson over Biyombo as Boston really needs to shore up their entire front court. Heck I would even sign Stephane Lasme to relieve Paul Pierce and bring back that skinny Center that played for Boston after the Perkins trade. I can't remember his name but he provided a lot of hustle and athleticism and he came from the D-league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/705027-2011-nba-mock-draft-what-will-the-first-round-look-like-after-lottery-surprises/entry/84539-2011-nba-mock-draft-lottery-and-entire-first-round-who-will-celtics-select
    Boston has a chance to get a steal out of this draft. Jeremy Tyler could be a huge steal as he was once projected to be the 1st player picked in this draft. Obviously I like Biyombo and Benson. I don't believe that Biyombo will be available but Trey Thompkins, Keith Benson, Jeremy Tyler, Jordan Williams, Jajuan Johnson,and Justin Harper should be. The most difficult thing for Boston is that it's not just the center position that needs to be filled as KG and Pierce are not getting any younger. We have seen both players become inconsistent which is normal for aging players. Given Boston's huge weakness in the front court I fully expect for Danny Ainge to select a guard perhaps Josh Selby, Shelvin Mack, or Marshon Brooks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Greg Smith looks like a monster. He too would be a great pick. It would be great if Ainge were to buy somebody's number 2 pick to get him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I'm not as impressed by kaman as some are.  He's had a history of injuries, doesn't possess the shooting percentage you'd like from a center, and I think isn't worth the cost of Davis, Krstic, plus.  Krstic has a better shot and statistically isn't far away from Kaman, and he's already here.  Trading Davis with whomever should answer a need/deficiency not just be lateral move that actually removes a player that has some potential game value.  A two-fer in this case isn't that attractive.