2013 Reminds me of the 2004 Lakers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

2013 Reminds me of the 2004 Lakers

Compare this upcoming Laker team to the '04 team, the last time I heard that it was a foregone conclusion that the Lakers would a win a title.  Take a look at the two teams below and tell me which looks better to you on paper.  These are the top rotation players by minutes played in the playoffs, with their age in parenthesis by May/June (2013 obviously projected):

C

Shaquille O’Neal (31)

Dwight Howard (27)

G

Kobe Bryant (25)

Kobe Bryant (34)

G

Gary Payton (35)

Steve Nash (39)

F

Karl Malone (40)

Pau Gasol (32)

F

Devean George (26)

Ron Artest (33)

G

Derek Fisher (29)

Steve Blake (33)

To me '04 looks like a better team on paper, with Kobe and Shaq in their prime. While they did make it out of the West that year, beating KG's Wolves missing injured Sam Cassell, they were manhandled by the Pistons in the Finals.  I also think that this year's team will have chemistry issues just like they did in '04, and overall they are an older team. Last but not least, Phil Jackson was coach in '04, vs. Mike Brown. 
    So, anyone still think the Lakers are a lock to win it all, or even the West?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

Re: 2013 Reminds me of the 2004 Lakers

This Laker team will win 65-70 games.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The Lakers have definitely improved themselves.....there are issues though...

Nash will be 39 come playoff time and can't guard anyone...defense is critical once the play-offs begin

Kobe is slowing down.....he shot the ball like a madman going for the scoring title last year but all you need to know is this: given the same number of shots per game Rondo would've had the same scoring average....and he still hasn't hit that last second game winning shot since the '06 play-offs...

Howard is an upgrade (from #2 center to #1)....he is a better shot blocker and is more athletic than Bynum....but Bynum has better offensive skills and is not a liability from the free throw line in crunch time....as for rebounding stats....Howard didn't have another big man to share the rebounding load...Gasol averaged 9.2 rebounds per game along side of Bynum

then there is "Metta World Head Case".....and Mike Brown...

Finally, if the Lakers win it all after acquiring the league's top big man, it will be a first for them.....consider...

Wilt came on board in '68......it took four years to win the title

Kareem (the league's best player) came over and it took five years

Shaq (the league's dominant player) came over and it took four years

Lakers still don't have the depth or athleticism of OKC...are they a contender?....absolutely......are they a lock? .....no at all...

Danny did a great job of making the Celtics a younger, deeper, and more athletic team....still, they will be the underdog to the Heat...it all makes for another great season....and another possible Celtic/Laker showdown.....for that to happen, everything needs to fall into place for both teams...KG and Kobe remain the keys to each team...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Well said, Duke....very insightful history. I agree with everything you said, except for the last sentence. For the Celtics, KG is our anchor, a constant. I think our key is Rondo, we need him to have a huge season, now that he has been surrounded by a group of youngsters who can get out and make each game a track meet. The proverbial keys are officially his. As for the Lakers, Kobe is no longer their best player, but he's still the key. Will he be able to put his ego aside and takes less shots, deferring more to DH, the way David Robinson did with the emergence of Tim Duncan, or the way Tim Duncan did when Tony Parker emerged? History says no, but we'll find out...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

The 2004 team had a great D. The 2013 team will give up about 15 pts a game more just in the defensive superiority of The Glove of Nash.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

good points there.....I believe Kobe will adjust BECAUSE of his ego.....he wants that 6th title badly so that he can catch up to MJ.....at this point I believe that he will do anything to make that happen....and that is actually good news for Laker fans....if he doesn't do the things he needs to do and still needs to be "the Man" then he is even more selfish than I thought....of course that was the reason he ran Shaq out of town...he was tired of being "Robin"....he may have been the closer in the last minutes but Shaq won all of the MVP awards during that run.... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Duke,
    Good post. The argument about Wilt, Kareem and Shaq is weak, IMO. As they say: past performances don't guaranty future returns.

Also, the major (IMO) factor is the chemistry KB and DH.

AK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

ok, I can see your point.....one factor I didn't bring up....this is no longer a center dominant league...

DH hasn't won anything yet.....the Heat had a center that they picked up on waivers....Dallas won without a dominant big man.....Shaq led the Lakers (along with Kobe) over 10 years ago but Bynum wasn't the key during the repeat (if anything Gasol was the MVP of that team)....

the Pistons won with Laimbeer hitting jumpers (and creating havoc with his seemingly dirty play)....MJ won with the likes of Cartwright, Longley, and Perdue...

Point Guards and wingmen are in vogue these days.....and with good reason...but your point is well taken...