2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

Bass is better than Baby, but he has some limitations.....#1 is length.  So it looks like he has problems.   He is so much better for this team than baby because he knows what he can do and does it.  Baby is just that.....a baby.  Lets move on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!:
    [QUOTE]Acie, Bass has been your whipping boy all season as you pine for Big Baby, back over in reality, i have posted little this season as this team failed to capture my interest at the same level that it did in previous years, for a number of reasons, not just bass/davis exchange and now that you continue to trash him in the playoffs you say we can't bring up Baby and all the reasons why the trade made sense to you (for the millionth time) and how we have no idea if there was any other/better players Danny could have traded for? my post that YOU responded to was talking about "what do we do in the philly series" not anything about glen davis.  the reality is, and i did NOT wish it to be like this, that bass has played horribly- and you better believe that there's been some video sessions with brand licking his chops at the prospects of working bass over- he's bigger and stronger than josh smith.  i say KG on brand for significant time is a much better bet than just a carte blanche 34 minutes of bass on brand- based not on glen davis, but on how bass himself is played.  for cripe sakes, your'e like a liberal whining about george bush.  yes, i am convinced that this was a bad trade for the celtics.  right now i'm trying to figure out what's th best thing to do with bass v. brand and your'e throwing glen davis blather back at me instead of debating the ideas i put forward, which include an effort to keep bass involved, keep him as a starter, and still hope that he does well, but be good and damn ready to go to plan B if he continues like he did vs. ATL  It's not like in '09 when we could have sent the big 3 to McDyess's door with that full MLE offer and instead they went to Sheed's. I was hoping to swap Baby, JO and a pick for Kaman, but of course that never materialized. Speaking of Jermaine, wasn't he supposed to be healthy? Is this stand up comedy?  Are you really serious?  How many games did jerlame play for us last year, after MONTHS of spa treatment to try to trick his body into thinking it was healthy?  for our mgt to "believe" that jerlame, after all these YEARS AND YEARS of sub-optimal and injury riddled play was somehow going to show up and play 60 games and the playoffs for us is laughable and sad at the same time.  just the mere act of getting out pen and paper with intent to sign him (and sheed for that matter) for TWO YEARS was foolhardy- membah in 200X when we swept the Heat and jerlame shot 19% from the floor after being "healthy" all year for the first time in years?  Why would you sign that dude for TWO YEARS?  The man was made for life- just a dumb move, even dumber to expect after the first year results that he wouldn't snap like a dried out rubber band, somehow, some way once again in year 2.  The workout wonder from the moment the lockout ended wh was to replace Perk's 8-8-2 as paint protection in like 22-26 minutes a night? Oh right, I' not supposed to bring up INJURIES either... it's all Bass's fault for not being a star PF when he was expected to be a 6th-7th man... yuck. We swapped out an 11.7 point 5.3 rebound 6'8" PF last year for an 11.2/5.7 PF who costs a lot less and gives us the flexibility to persue a better option than either Bass or Baby this summer. Enough already with the Bass hate. Well all in all, a nice typical try for censorship by detraction, yet it all falls short.  I am really not sure who i going to be interested in Bass @3M x 3 years after this year after watching him thus far in the playoffs.  i hope he can turn it around so he is worth keeping for us or able to be traded for fair value and not just a piece of paper expiring contract.  What I say is not "hate" it is reality as expressed through statistics, the fact that Davis is now a BETTER rebounder this year (the big knock on him last year) and Davis was and remains a MUCH BETTER defensive player, better post moves, better handling of the ball both dribbling and ball movement, passing, better pick setter, and was the lynch pin of our help defense system that enabled us to be 33-8 last year and Davis as 6th man the last few years has filled a couple roles of defensive help system "hole filler" taking charges and also able to mash around against the biggest and best 5's in the league because of his superb upper and lower body strength- nobody can move him around. 

If you think that any of that involves hatred of Bass then you need to rush to the store and get some fish oil caplets because I fear that your IQ involves only the numbers 5 and 9 and you can pick which way to arrange them. 

If a team makes a mistake in dealing away a grit hustle player for a grit hustle player with a lot less overall skills just because it's a penny wise pound foolish deal then i have the right to be upset about it. 

Beyond that, I have the right to be ANGRY last night when I see Josh Smith drive RIGHT on Bass for what was the third or fourth time in the SAME game for an easy layup/dunk to TIE the game to cap off a (not the first one in the series!) give-away-the-store 14-4 run. 

every time our team give away leads like that it makes it so much harder.  letting the other team actually TAKE the lead is the ultimate moment of their empowerment and your deflation.  it was like we had to win that game 2.5 times last night instead of once and thanks be to God for the hellen keller ref who didn't whistle marquis for the dead ball freebie foul that should have been. 

And, NO, Bass did not personally give away all of those 14 points on that run, but that particular play was conduct detrimental to the team by bass- he'd been run in for layups by smith "going right" thrice before!  So stop forcing him to the right by getting TOO far up close on a guy who is quicker than you... perhaps back off a step and take a straight up defensive stance?!  did nobody coach brandon on how to do that during one of the many pauses in the game in between the "josh smith drives right vs. Bass for a dunk or layup" repetitive episodes? 

Bass needs some help on D, both mentally and how to position himself.  And they should start giving it to him.  He should have the physical tools to prevent getting up so close to smith, a generally substandard outside shooter, that smith can drive him to his WEAK HAND for a gimme dunk/layup. 

Yes, watching that happen four times in a game with the fourth one being for ATL to take the lead with 3 minutes to go after we were up 14 just a couple minutes earlier is horrifying to me.  and it's nothing personal against Bass, he just happened to be playing D all four times it happened.  I am sorry that I had the audacity to expect that he correct his defensive technique at some point in the game after making the same mistake multiple times.  If smith had hit some sort of well defended shot or an ill advised typical smith-esque fading 22 foot jumper, I would not have said a word....

Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : Brand's STELLER 5 point 5 rebound averages in 32-33 minutes the last two playoff games  i could have sworn i looked at the game chart and brand had shown signs of coming alive late in the last series for PHI, maybe i read that backwards.  but anyway, it doesn't matter- brand is NOT brandon bass, a career 8 point scorer.  he used to be a guy who was very effective.  last year he had a pretty solid year.  i don't know why his numbers were so squalid this year comparatively speaking to the rest of his career.  all blathering aside, he REMAINS something to be worried about in this series, esp given the way bass has played defense lately.  sure are impressive Acie... oh wait he got 3 blocks ingame 5 and 2 in game 6 so that makes up for it when the Sixers were a -7 over the Bulls those 2 games. YAWN At least Bass gave us a 10/6.5 avg over the same games 5/6...oh but he only had 2 blocks to Brand's 5. Yes, defense is a problem but there is no way Brand played any better than bass over those 2 games. Bass matches up with brand better than Steamer/Hollins do IMO. and my point was, and remains, that getting KG some time to stifle brand and hopefully draw brand to play defense on him would be GREAT for KG, who has played multiple 40 minute games to get us by ATL and I am VERY confident that KG can run the hell out of the table on Brand on both ends of the floor!  Do you disagree?  Doc says that Hollins earned his minutes over Steamer in practice these last few weeks. He did have the biggest rebound of the game. Hollins is an enigma to me.  The body of robert parsh and the brains of i don't know what.  He is a below average rebounder and gave away multiple fast break layups by his man during nutcupping time last night by trotting back backwards instead of finding his man on the break and preventing him from getting the ball for a gimme layup in Game 6.  That's enough to make the discerning fan pull their hair out and break the TV set.  I certainyl want to see Stiemsma/Hollins on Hawes a lot and NEVER see Bass on him. Let's be positive and hope brandon has a great series. Nobody will be happier than me to see Brandon have a great series.  But if he starts out the same as he was in the ATL series, we have to reduce his minutes and move KG over the the 4 and frankly KG would greatly benefit from that move.  With so many players injured he needs to up his game. He turned a 12.5/6.2 regular season into a 9/5.5 playoffs. That is like 20% worse. The stats say 20% worse but his poor defense in pressure situations and even early-in-the-game play sequences has been brootal.  taken as a whole, including his blocked shots and some scattered nice individual and help defensive plays, bass' defense still has an overall rating of: fair to poor plus.  With so many players injured and the stakes raised you want to see him play 20% better. A 15/8 from Bass over the course of this series while brand stays an 11/7 will be critical.  If the numbers in that matchup fall like that then we are going to win, barring further injury to Pierce and assuming that Ray is at least quasi-functional.  But it would really take a BIG turnaround for Brandon to achieve 15 and 8 in a playoff series.  If he could just hold his points numbers steady on more efficient field goal shooting and improve his focus and effectiveness on defense drastically, then we'd be arguably even better off. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Don't have the time to nit-pick through all that, clearly you have some issues with the player and the trade

When it comes to the trade only 2 things can make me think it wasn't a better swap for the Celtics:

1. Danny publicly saying all the other offers he had for Davis and weighing them against Bass

2. Bass being our starting PF for the length of Davis's FOUR MORE YEARS under contract....AND Davis outplaying him (getting in shape, mature, etc.)

Because right now this season was won by Bass, the player Baby is most useful against (Howard) is not in our path in the playoffs and Danny is going to use all that $ he saves either this summer or the one after to make major upgrades for the future, with Bass either gone or as a 6th-8th man.

As for the player NOW, he matches up WAY better with Brand than Josh Smith and who cares about career stats of the former #1 pick vs. the former 2nd rd pick...you care about '12 stats. Brand is 6 years older. They have similar statistical impact on the game and who ourperforms the other will be a major part of the playoffs. KG will be on Brand at times, but it more suited to guard Hawes, he doesn't like shorter bangers like Boozer/Brand he likes guarding lengthly skinny guys like Bosh/Noah/Hawes.

Bass has to step up. That is clear. Ranting like a mentally unstable fool about how Bass is the worst thing to happen to this team since like Acie Earl just makes you look ignorant. It is going to be injuries and another teams energy, youth and health that knocks us out of the playoffs... not Bass, the guy who did more than what we expected this season when JON was to be the starter, Green the 6th man and Bass the 7th man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

Not sure Baby gets this much press for the whole year in Orlando.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bass's defense hasn't been that good, obviously, but to enrage someone this much and have them single him out as the lightning rod of everything that can and will go wrong these playoffs is pathetic.

Bass should have an easier time with Brand than with Smith and Marvin Williams, guys who are both the same height as Brand (like 1' taller than Bass) but faster athletic types.

Now if he was on Thaddeus Young you could see the same issues as with Smith. Pietrus will be needed to play great D on Young.

Philly has a short rotation, Brand plays the backup 5 and Young the backup 4, so really in my mind it will come down to KG and Bass having to outplay Hawes and Brand... not a bunch of mix and match D maybe like we saw with Atlanta.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Bass should do better against Brand for sure. He looked a little more clear headed the last couple games. So hopefully he is ready now for Celtics playoff basketball. Go Celtics!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bass 10/4

Brand 4/1

So far so good

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Bass's defense hasn't been that good, obviously, but to enrage someone this much and have them single him out as the lightning rod of everything that can and will go wrong these playoffs is pathetic. Bass should have an easier time with Brand than with Smith and Marvin Williams, guys who are both the same height as Brand (like 1' taller than Bass) but faster athletic types. Now if he was on Thaddeus Young you could see the same issues as with Smith. Pietrus will be needed to play great D on Young. Philly has a short rotation, Brand plays the backup 5 and Young the backup 4, so really in my mind it will come down to KG and Bass having to outplay Hawes and Brand... not a bunch of mix and match D maybe like we saw with Atlanta.

Bass does not enrage me.  But hypocrisy does.  People rode Davis like sea biscuit for being a "terrible" rebounder last year and then not a word this year when Bass goes out and does the same thing.  In fact it wasn't just "not a word" but it was praise that Bass was "so much better" than Davis.

Nobody to this day has logically explained to me how this is possible given that we lost a valuable back up 5 who could also play 4, with better inside post moves, who was the lynch pin of our help defense for a much more limited scope player in bass.....  with the same rebounding numbers.

Tonight Bass was more of the same- blah defense, sub marginal rebounding, the usual that he has become in the playoffs to his more passable reg. season.  I am in the 3rd quarter on the DVR and I believe a 6-9 nobody named LAVOY WHO? ends up this game on 5-6 shooting, 13 or 14 pts, 5 or 6 rebs in short minutes?  Who let this guy out of the bag?  he's on the floor right now but I have not seen him do anything yet.  Maybe he's the next celtic killer.

The Celts were terrible throughout in the first half with the exception of KG.  It's really worrisome to see KG be the only one who really shows up (AGAIN) to play.  I know we have injury issues with Bradley, Pierce, Ray but they just did nothing the first half of Game 1 vs. Phi.  It certainly was not the Bass Solo Blunder show and I have NEVER said that it was at any point- in my own words I have said that Avery, Ray and Rondo have all had bad games too v. ATL. 

Realistically, since I'm not walking in Avery's Ray's or Paul's shoes, I don't know what to say about it when they stink.  Do you?  so I don't say a lot other than acknowledging it.  Supposedly Avery needs surgery, Ray needs surgery and Paul has a strained MCL, right?  So how ticked off can you get at them?  When Avery and Ray come up bricks from the outside, I'd sure love to see them adopt a slashing game and try some runouts to try to pick up the slack of what they aren't bringing.  Besides that what else can you do?

All I know is that we need to stop leaning on KG for 40 minutes of intensive performance, he will not last long.  Given that KG, Brandon and Rajon are the only healthy starters, it's high time that Bass gets some things done on offense and defense to relieve the burden of KG being the only significant 4/5 contributor.  Is that crazy talk or being enraged or "hating"?

Elton Brand obliged us nicely by playing dead, but how Does Lavoy WHO end up putting up those kinds of numbers against us in the playoffs, and WHO was guarding him?  Honest to God I can't figure out how he scored that many points and when?  He's on the floor now and is doing very little. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

So far Bass is shrinking in the spotlight of the playoffs.. A complete non factor except for the opposing team... his PT is valuable to them

He still has a chance to redeem himself offensively... because hes not gonna learn to play defense on the fly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : Bass does not enrage me.  But hypocrisy does.  People rode Davis like sea biscuit for being a "terrible" rebounder last year and then not a word this year when Bass goes out and does the same thing.  In fact it wasn't just "not a word" but it was praise that Bass was "so much better" than Davis. Nobody to this day has logically explained to me how this is possible given that we lost a valuable back up 5 who could also play 4, with better inside post moves, who was the lynch pin of our help defense for a much more limited scope player in bass.....  with the same rebounding numbers. Tonight Bass was more of the same- blah defense, sub marginal rebounding, the usual that he has become in the playoffs to his more passable reg. season.  I am in the 3rd quarter on the DVR and I believe a 6-9 nobody named LAVOY WHO? ends up this game on 5-6 shooting, 13 or 14 pts, 5 or 6 rebs in short minutes?  Who let this guy out of the bag?  he's on the floor right now but I have not seen him do anything yet.  Maybe he's the next celtic killer. The Celts were terrible throughout in the first half with the exception of KG.  It's really worrisome to see KG be the only one who really shows up (AGAIN) to play.  I know we have injury issues with Bradley, Pierce, Ray but they just did nothing the first half of Game 1 vs. Phi.  It certainly was not the Bass Solo Blunder show and I have NEVER said that it was at any point- in my own words I have said that Avery, Ray and Rondo have all had bad games too v. ATL.  Realistically, since I'm not walking in Avery's Ray's or Paul's shoes, I don't know what to say about it when they stink.  Do you?  so I don't say a lot other than acknowledging it.  Supposedly Avery needs surgery, Ray needs surgery and Paul has a strained MCL, right?  So how ticked off can you get at them?  When Avery and Ray come up bricks from the outside, I'd sure love to see them adopt a slashing game and try some runouts to try to pick up the slack of what they aren't bringing.  Besides that what else can you do? All I know is that we need to stop leaning on KG for 40 minutes of intensive performance, he will not last long.  Given that KG, Brandon and Rajon are the only healthy starters, it's high time that Bass gets some things done on offense and defense to relieve the burden of KG being the only significant 4/5 contributor.  Is that crazy talk or being enraged or "hating"? Elton Brand obliged us nicely by playing dead, but how Does Lavoy WHO end up putting up those kinds of numbers against us in the playoffs, and WHO was guarding him?  Honest to God I can't figure out how he scored that many points and when?  He's on the floor now and is doing very little. 
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Big Baby was ridden hard for being fat immature and fighting with his own teammates... Bass is a classy professional

Overall Bass had a slightly better season this year than BBD did last year... and currently is stinking up the postseason the same way Baby did. Not much difference.

For all the reasons I'd listed on why a swap made sense it is still a good trade. Yet I never said Bass was 'much better' or anything like that.

Fans enjoy a hardworking player maxing out his talents while keeping his mouth shut and being praised by his team over a slacker who shows up overweight, doesn't max out his talents, acts like a clown and whose teammates can barely hide their disdain of him.

Maybe that also had something to do with it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : Big Baby was ridden hard for being fat immature and fighting with his own teammates... Bass is a classy professional Overall Bass had a slightly better season this year than BBD did last year... and currently is stinking up the postseason the same way Baby did. Not much difference. For all the reasons I'd listed on why a swap made sense it is still a good trade. Yet I never said Bass was 'much better' or anything like that. Fans enjoy a hardworking player maxing out his talents while keeping his mouth shut and being praised by his team over a slacker who shows up overweight, doesn't max out his talented, acts like a clown and whose teammates can barely hide their disdain of him. Maybe that also had something to do with it?

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : Big Baby was ridden hard for being fat immature and fighting with his own teammates... Bass is a classy professional Overall Bass had a slightly better season this year than BBD did last year... and currently is stinking up the postseason the same way Baby did. Not much difference. For all the reasons I'd listed on why a swap made sense it is still a good trade. Yet I never said Bass was 'much better' or anything like that. Fans enjoy a hardworking player maxing out his talents while keeping his mouth shut and being praised by his team over a slacker who shows up overweight, doesn't max out his talented, acts like a clown and whose teammates can barely hide their disdain of him. Maybe that also had something to do with it?
    Bingo!
    Lets just hope bass finds his groove. We'll need all the help we can get. He did make a tough jumper last night.....