3 best players ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

3 best players ever

1) bird
    2) jordan
    3) jabbar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Re: 3 best players ever

Hi,
    I'd say 1-Russell, 2-MJ, 3-Bird/Magic

AK

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Russell
    Dr. J
    Big O

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

The 3 most dominating players could be considered the best. I'd say Russell, Kareem and Jordan. For the 4th and 5th I'd say Wilt and Oscar Robertson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

no larry bird ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Bird makes my top 5!!
      Probably 4

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

centers like russel chamb or jabbar could not do much apart from playing their position, they were dominant but as centers only (almost)

jordan, roberston, bird, magic were dominant in more ways and I think bird was the only guy among these ones who could dominate the game in 3 ways : defense+rebounding (magic and jordan couldn't), scoring, leadership+passing
    this is why i think bird has been the best ever, over centers and guards

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: 3 best players ever:
    [QUOTE]centers like russel chamb or jabbar could not do much apart from playing their position, they were dominant but as centers only (almost) jordan, roberston, bird, magic were dominant in more ways and I think bird was the only guy among these ones who could dominate the game in 3 ways : defense+rebounding (magic and jordan couldn't), scoring, leadership+passing this is why i think bird has been the best ever, over centers and guards
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]

Love your opinion and passion.  Just disagree!  Bird is my FAVORITE player of all-time, but you asked BEST.......and I don't think Bird ever made any All-NBA defense team, while MJ was voted DPOY twice!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]centers like russel chamb or jabbar could not do much apart from playing their position, they were dominant but as centers only (almost) jordan, roberston, bird, magic were dominant in more ways and I think bird was the only guy among these ones who could dominate the game in 3 ways : defense+rebounding (magic and jordan couldn't), scoring, leadership+passing this is why i think bird has been the best ever, over centers and guards
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]

Well, can't agree with that comment about centers, especially for Russell.  What guard to you know that could dominate a game with rebounds, blocked shots, defensive pressure altering shots, points, AND coach the team?  Take Russell away from his college or pro teams and they don't win.  We have more championships than any other franchise due to Russell and Red, period.  ( out of 11 years is just SICK performance. So, Russell did a massive amount more than the rest.  Bird could never really DOMINATE a game with rebounding and defense.  He was a good rebounder, but dominate a game?  I love Larry Legend, but we have to be honest about this.  Best passing big man in the game.  Best clutch shooter in the game.  Best all around player in my opinion.  But only "good" in rebounding and defense.

1.  Russell
    2.  Jordan
    3.  Jabbar, Magic, Bird, Big O - pick one and I couldn't argue against the third person.  I give Magic the very very slight edge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Sorry for the typo...I meant "9 out of 11 years" is just sick performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

1. Magic
    2. Kareem
    3. Kobe

Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry for the typo...I meant "9 out of 11 years" is just sick performance.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we got it!!  And you are correct!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Russell
    Jordan
    magic.bird

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

[QUOTE]Russell Dr. J Big O
    Posted by vertmont[/QUOTE]

These 3 were innovators of the basketball at their positions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I think Baylor was an innovator prior to the Doc........both great players though....and don't forget Connie Hawkins....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruthpp34. Show datruthpp34's posts

1. brain scalabrine

2. kwame brown

3. reggie evans

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

ok... i didn't manage to convince anyone about bird's legacy as the #1 !!

but i think that with the opponents jordan has had, bird would also have won more ; truthfully (.....) we must say that bird has always had better teams than jordan

about russel, i can't speak becaseu i've never seen him playing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Caesar....I understand your argument:    

Match Bird's Celtic team in their prime vs Jordan's Bulls teams in their prime and I think the Bird teams win (McHale would particularly be unstoppable and who could guard Larry?; Parish over ANY center they had and DJ cancels out Pippin.  Advantage Bulls at the shooting guard spot, of course).  So, without Magic, C's win more championships or Jordan wins less Championships if he had a more formidable set of opponents (when the league hadn't expanded/been diluted).  Therefore, Bird gets more championships and people say he's the greater player.  That's the argument, right?

But, its all speculation so while I love Bird, I have to give the nod to Jordan due to his ACTUAL championships.  We can't take them away with "speculation" and "what ifs", just as we can't take away Russell's rings with "what ifs".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]McHale would particularly be unstoppable and who could guard Larry?; Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Really? The bulls team which won the second threepeat had probably the two best defenders on the 3 and 4 position who ever played the game with Pippen and Rodman. I'm not saying that this bulls would have beaten the Cs cause MJ wasn't in his prime anymore but besides the 5 position they had pretty good defensive matchups with the Cs from the 80s. Don't forget Ron Harper who would have been a good defender against DJ. And MJ himself was still a very good defender (earlier in his career he was a great defender).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

If you think Rodman could stop McHale in both their primes or that anyone on the Bulls could stop Bird, then you didn't really see McHale in his prime.  He's a top 5 offensive power forward and Bird may be the single best all time small forward.  I gave MJ his proper respect by giving the Bulls advantage at the 2.  But, Pippin and Rodman are no match for McHale and Bird.   Just my opinion, but I'm standing by it being an avid fan who watched MANY MANY games of both teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 3 best players ever : Yeah, we got it!!  And you are correct!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Red, I'm VERY disappointed in you for not correcting me on my error.  I went to the records to check.  It was 11 out of 13 years as championships for Russell!   

Can't believe I got that wrong!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

Never saw the big O. But I hear he was dominating. From my vantage point, I'll go with Russel (top), tie Jordan, Bird, Majic. I am tempted to leave off Majic, but talk about an all around player, who could dominate playing five positions. I am not sure there was anyone else who could do that, including mssrs. Russel, Bird and Jordan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Russell
    Jordan
    Jabbar

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 3 best players ever : Love your opinion and passion.  Just disagree!  Bird is my FAVORITE player of all-time, but you asked BEST.......and I don't think Bird ever made any All-NBA defense team, while MJ was voted DPOY twice!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Larrry was All-Defensive Second team three times.  The comp was stiff, so in another time (now?) he might get to the first team.  He never shied away from going at an opponent at either end and was ususally successful, as evidenced by the number of players he frustrated.